114 Walnut Street
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halcyonbrasserie.com/
- Phone: 9737444450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30PM Dinner: Sunday - 5:00 PM- 9:00 PM Bar: Friday and Saturday - 2 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please Visit our Website for all Private Party Inquiries & a View of our Private Event Menu Packages. Visit Halcyonbrasserie.com
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Friday and Saturday Night in our Lounge
A word from Halcyon Brasserie
Halcyon is a fine seafood brasserie, specializing in the freshest local catches, boasting a full service raw bar, upstairs lounge, and tranquil atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Halcyon Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Halcyon Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (32)special occasion (32)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (29)notable wine list (17)good for groups (15)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- BonesDined on 9/11/2014we go to this restaurant frequently and it is annoying to get a survey request every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeSabbyandJohnVIPDined on 9/5/2014Halcyon is a must try! Great food, gfeat service, lovely decor...Special Features:
- I'll Be Back!food4thoughtDined on 9/3/2014For appetizers we tried oysters from both east and west coasts. Fresh & fabulous. We had excellent lobster and halibut entrees, both well prepared and served. Great martini cocktails with blue cheese stuffed olives and friendly service further enhanced our meal. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- A favoriteWC10Dined on 8/31/2014The food is very good, the atmosphere great and the service is always fantastic! This is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Amazing food.SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/28/2014We are regulars at Halcyon... The lobster salad is a must!!! For a lighter dinner or aps, fish tacos, moules, the frits (fries) are the best we've had anywhere, including NYC french restaurants... Salmon 3 ways is lovely... The main courses are wonderful... A must try!Special Features:
- Deafening atmospherelouiserfDined on 8/23/2014This is not a relaxing place for dining. The noise level is such that one can't have a conversation without shouting. The bar scene is where it's at, and this nothing other than a local watering hole. The food was just fair, and the wait staff seemed overwhelmed with serving.Special Features:
- WonderfulSBRenieDined on 8/23/2014It is always such a treat to go to Halcyon with my family, including my young son. We always have an amazing meal, great service and an enjoyable night out. The shellfish is always soooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance… Can't go wrong with Halcyon!Special Features:
- One of the best in NJFirsttimeacharmDined on 8/20/2014It was our first time here. Went there for my husband's 40th birthday and we really enjoyed the food. They have a large selection of food. I just wished they also have a few selection for kids. But overall, food is great. Would want to come again and try something else on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!Peter375Dined on 8/20/2014Our Waitress was wonderful and very very friendly and helpful! The salmon was the best I ever tasted and the black rice and vegetables were out of this world! This was our first visit and will not be our last! Try it...You will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HalcyonPhlGrlVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were seated right away, but unfortunately the hostest did not check us in, and therefore we were considered a no show, although the entryway is so small that I could clearly see my name and reservation, but she seemed busy chatting with one of the servers. This was our first time here so that initial impression topped off with not checking us in with our reservation was disappointing. On a good note the lemon drop martini was better than I expected and the truffle fries our definitely worth going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDmikepDined on 8/17/2014Raw bar is AMAZING.. Apps where even better..Seafood was on the money... We both finished everything.. 100% going back. Not cheap but the price equals the value of the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bvegDined on 8/16/2014food was excellent however it was extremely LouD !! and service was so so didn't check back in at all wasn't able to order another drink again food was excellentSpecial Features:
- fisholiciousDined on 8/10/2014Excellent choice for fish lovers. Nice sized portions, with flavorful preparations done to perfection. Wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Great place to dine leisurely or to celebrate a special event.Special Features:
- I would go back again....NoisyDined on 8/9/2014I liked the restaurant very much - the food was delicious and the wait staff very friendly. A few drawbacks though. 1.My boyfriend ordered a whole fish and they did not fillet it. They said they will fillet the fish during the week but it's too busy on the weekends. 2. After we had our dessert it seemed to take a long time for our waitress to come over to the table and ask if we were ready for the check, which we were. 3. The noise level is way too loud. We arrived at 6:30p and by about 8pm it was so loud it was difficult to hear each other speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food, great staff, great experience... Will do over and over!Special Features:
- Amazing tacosStephDined on 8/2/2014The fish tacos are worth the trip every time! They are amazing- the double shell is the best part! Can't wait to have them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great staff, can't go wrong with Halcyon!Special Features:
- SsnissimVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had a wonderful meal here this weekend. Everything we ordered was delicious; we especially loved the tuna tartare!! The restaurant was loud but since we sat in the front it wasn't as crowded or noisy as the main dining room. Had a great atmosphere. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy, smiling people...ebw5Dined on 8/1/2014Halcyon is inviting from the moment you walk in. Staff is super friendly and the food consistently good. The only thing missing is the sand between your toes and the smell of the salt air!Special Features:
- KosherchefVIPDined on 8/1/2014I was sorely disappointed. The restaurant was highly recommended. The hostess was pleasant, but not welcoming. The waiter was pleasant enough, but not extremely helpful. The bread service was two small pieces and a half piece of bread with a Amal plate with oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and three small olives. Paltry! We had both ordered the Caesar salad. The presentation on both was different: one was piled high and the other flat. My cod was well cooked, but the herb topping was slightly bitter and had much too much garlic for the cod. My husband's shrimp and clams dish did not live up to its description. The pasta was gummy, there were 3 clams and 4 shrimp,both cooked separately and overdone. A total disappointment.
- My favorite place in Montclair!artlover23Dined on 7/27/2014I've been to Halcyon several times and it's always amazing. Beautiful space with a fresh, yet retro feel. U-shaped booths, marble walls and tables, lots of chrome and organza curtains between booths for a little privacy. Creative, fresh menu as well as an extensive raw bar. I love the vegetable quinoa side dish - I'd go back just for that. This time I had the yummy paella. Big enough to take half home, but not embarrassing to have in front of you while everyone else eats salad. Friends loved the lemon kale, swordfish and crispy duck salad. Lovely service, always. There's a nice bar downstairs - a rarity in Montclair. It was quiet on Sunday night, but loud when it's crowded. Stunning upstairs lounge, too.Special Features:
- Fish tacosSuziabnycDined on 7/24/2014Great oysters and love the fish tacos! Reliable seafood with a trendy feel. One of my favorite spots in Montclair!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect 10!COOLPHORICSDined on 7/22/2014Halcyon is as a top level restaurant should be. We were treated as though we'd been there many times, even though it was our first. The person who greeted us, our Server, and Busboy, were all superb. We were seated at the exact location requested. The Octopus, Swordfish, and Cherry Pie were all presented and prepared beyond compare. The Campari, soda, with a slice of orange, were made as requested. So much so that I had to get another. I will return and recommend without equivocation. Halcyon takes and honors Reservations. Go there!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food is outstanding! My husband and I split the crabcake as an appetizer and loved it! My husband had the swordfish and I had the scallops which again were outstanding.Special Features:
- FINALLY GOT IN!NNJFoodieDined on 7/12/2014I have been trying to get into this restaurant for months with no luck. I was FINALLY able to get in by making a rezervation on Opentable.com. I was so glad to not be disappointed. The food was fabulous as was the ambiance and wait staff. I would HIGHLY recommend this slighly pricey but awesome restaurant. I will be sure to go back.Special Features:
- Awesome new menu!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great new summer menu, a must try! Lovely ambiance, nice staff, a great place all-around!Special Features:
- BDay celebration with the ParentsNinejDined on 7/1/2014Celebrated girlfriend bday with her parents ..Good food and wine celebrated with good company .. Introduced her parents to this gem in Montclair, was a little nervous at first . Soccer game was on and the bar crowd was a little overly excited about US chances of advancing in tournament. Which is to be expected. Parents expected a lower noise level. However, the game ended soon after appetizers arrived , so parents enjoyed their meals and wine. GREAT BDAY Celebration once again ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh - not worth itGreggDined on 6/28/2014Appetizers were great but entrees were just ok. Server took our appetizer order then disappeared. When we asked if we could order dinner she seemed surprised???Special Features:
- Wonderful mealNicoleEGVIPDined on 6/28/2014I was in the mood for seafood and we found this lovely place off the main drag in Montclair. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the service was outstanding - very professional. My husband and I shared a calamari salad that was delicious. I had the simply seared scallops, lemon kale and parmesan fries - yummy! My husband had the paella, which he said was fine, but a little dry. Even with that, we will definitely go back for another try!Special Features:
- Down HillgldmanVIPDined on 6/21/2014Halcyon used to be my favorite fish place in NJ. Maybe it was just Saturday Night, but I will not go back. The fish was over cooked. The waiter was nasty and unhappy and the food delivery people had no idea which table to deliver the food. The bar scene is active and noisy. Oh well, I think management needs to train the staff and have there chef(s) focus on the food. Management it is time to manage while business is still good. Best of luck, but get focused.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 6/20/2014Great menu, great wine list, beautiful ambiance, energetic, great staff and awesome food… what else could you ask for! S&JSpecial Features:
- Great, but loud !!RRrrDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food, great ambiance. Especially loved the appetizer dumplings and the "simply grilled" section, but everything was delicious. A pretty place, but don't plan on having a quiet romantic dinner here. This is a noisy, noisy restaurant, due to the loud bar scene, which is not really separated from the dining area, except by a low partition. We would go back, but maybe not on a Saturday night when the bar is rockin'.Special Features:
- love it!TommyGDined on 6/7/2014Not much more to say, I love Halcyon. Service, food and location are solid. There is a vibrant bar upstairs for after dinner....give it a try, you wont be sorrySpecial Features:
- Wonderful new specials...SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 6/6/2014As regulars, you can get use to the menu after a while, however, the specials are always fresh and new… Beautifully prepared, great flavors, always a pleasure. In addition, soon the summer menu will come out and will have an array of wonderful new dishes. Halcyon is a MUST TRY!!!Special Features:
- Expensive, and just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014Food, service. Everything was good, not great, and not cheap. Without getting not-picky, my wife and I we're out for a special occasion and both left feeling disappointed.
- great findRonnie207Dined on 6/6/2014great restaurant. worked around our garlic sensitivity. perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKimbelspDined on 5/31/2014The food and the service was wonderful. Problems - be prepared for a quite a noisy restaurant as the tables are pretty close to each other and be prepared to spend money as its pricey. They ran out of the one dessert we wanted (which is a shame since we didn't eat that late.) Definitely would recommend.Special Features:
- Love Halcyontjespo88Dined on 5/30/2014I've eaten here numerous times, the apps are amazing, the food overall is great. It can get a little pricey if you have dinner and drinks, but well worth it for a great night. We sat in the upstairs lounge, perfect for a date and more of a NYC lounge feel. One of my favorite places to go in Montclair hands downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's The Noise, StupidspeakthetruthguyDined on 5/29/2014Everything about our evening was lovely--except that the members of my family gathered in a booth and as far from the bar as possible were literally shouting at each other to be heard. It was comical at first, but quickly became wearisome. it's just too large ( and successful) a bar scene to share the dining space with seated guests. And the meal is too expensive to shout through.Special Features: