114 Walnut Street
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halcyonbrasserie.com/
- Phone: (973) 744-4450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30PM Dinner: Sunday - 5:00 PM- 9:00 PM Bar: Friday and Saturday - 2 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please Visit our Website for all Private Party Inquiries & a View of our Private Event Menu Packages. Visit Halcyonbrasserie.com
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Friday and Saturday Night in our Lounge
A word from Halcyon Brasserie
Halcyon is a fine seafood brasserie, specializing in the freshest local catches, boasting a full service raw bar, upstairs lounge, and tranquil atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Halcyon Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Halcyon Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (40)romantic (39)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (30)good for groups (22)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfection!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 2/28/2014Amazing food, amazing staff, amazing ambiance, can't ask for more... We are always pleased dining at Halcyon! A must try!!! S&JSpecial Features:
- Service could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2014Excellent food, sophisticated ambience, poor service. The waiter was absent, would disappear even though the restaurant was empty.Special Features:
- Best seafood..always!LoriDined on 2/21/2014We are NEVER disappointed in the quality of the food at Halcyon. I highly recommend the scallops- best I've ever had. It's a bit difficult navigating around the very crowded bar but once we were seated it was a great experience.Special Features:
- PERFECTION!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 2/21/2014We are regulars at Halcyon (for years) and we are never disappointed. We are foodies, therefore, we have been to many high end restaurants from east to west and in-between. And when you find yourself constantly comparing their chefs with Halcyon's chef… then saying Halcyon is better… You know it's perfection. Halcyon is a must try, you will be hooked! S&JSpecial Features:
- BirthdayAdriDined on 2/20/2014I had a wonderful dinner on my birthday. The server was courteous, and knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place! Great food,MariamDined on 2/19/2014Loved this place! Great food, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mussels were amazing andKiCKDined on 2/18/2014The mussels were amazing and so many! Our server Laura was great and had a wonderful sense of humor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for dinner to celebrateBonesDined on 2/16/2014We went for dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter joined us. We had a wonderful time--very good food and service--it is one of our favorite spots in town to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 2/14/2014Exceptional food, service, ambiance… A great menu, food prepared with excellence!!! We believe everyone should experience Halcyon.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesLynandCyDined on 2/12/2014This is m,y husband's favorite Montclair restaurant and one of my top four. The menu is varied and interesting, the food is beautifully and subtly prepared and seasoned and very satisfying. We did Valentine's Day a couple of days early because of expected terrible weather and have done anniversary dinners before because we like the decor, the ambience and the quiet. We will return to introduce friends to Halcyon next week. The service is exceptional -- just solicitous enough to meet all our needs and not at all intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud nice foodSommusic2Dined on 2/8/2014I am in a search for the restaurant that has great BACKGROUND music. If the bar is lively that's one thing but when the music is so loud you can't talk at your table that is bad. Also the choice of music really sucked , it was more like a disco then a dining experience. There ought to be a middle ground , music that informs the bar and also the diners. I was very disappointed in ambiance and service.food was really good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and Cramped but Great SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014I love seafood. Halcyon is a great place for great food in that regard. Great raw bar and entrees. The space is really annoying, in that the tables are too close together and the noise level is deafening. I made a reservation well in advance and was seated upstairs, which I didn't know existed. I wasn't asked if I wanted to sit there, but it was quieter than the noisy bar area. The service was very nice. The waitress could not have been sweeter. It's not four star, but we were happy. The food is very good. The only disappointment was dessert, which was a peach tart that was served somewhat cold. Also, it was my wife's birthday, which was told to the restaurant three times and they didn't acknowledge it at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 2/7/2014Had a wonderful time, the best food, the best service, simply the best!Special Features:
- Bustling. Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014The bar in the main area was packed so we waited upstairs where it was initially much quieter. The barmaid was confused as to where we should sit since we were waiting. Then she got "talked to" for where she sat us which must have been for diners. It was odd and made me feel a little strange. Our table was ready on time. All tables are really secondary to the loud and packed bar. So there was little room for talking at a normal level. It took a half hour to even get bread. The food was good. Nothing out of the ordinary and slightly over priced. It all took so long we didn't opt for dessert. In the end I am glad we tried it but I would stick with their sister restaurant next door, Egans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014i love this place.. they have great food and it;s really pretty. service is great.. they know us as we come here often. you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- The overall dining experienceMsStopOutDined on 1/31/2014The overall dining experience was excellent. The only problem with this restaurant is the noise level. For that reason I booked our reservation at 6:30 but still, by 7:30 it was so noisy we had to practically shout at each other to be heard.Special Features:
- My New Montclair FavoriteChefAnonDined on 1/29/2014Visited Halcyon last Wednesday night. So glad we decided to try it. Comfortable, upscale atmosphere with a European feel, exceptionally large and comfortable booths allow privacy and conversation without the usual noisy scraping of chairs and clanging of dishes. Cocktails were delicious, food exceptional. Crackling fire tricks the eye. Our waitress was exceptionally knowledgeable about the food, drinks and menu. Never felt she was trying to push a certain appetizer or anything else on us. Perfect place for a cold winter evening. Next time will try eating at the bar. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection...SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 1/17/2014From the Samon Three Ways, Sea bass, to ages steak, the food wasy perfect, the staff wonderful, and ambiance perfect!!!Special Features:
- Great spot in MontclairlondonDined on 1/17/2014Great open space, tuna Tartare excellent, Goat cheese salad delicious. Grilled salmon excellent. All food was delicious. booked upstairs for dinner the space was open airy and romantic. Music was great it went from r&b to lounge music to house. Blood orange margarita was outstanding. an overall great place. Crowd was mixed from yuppie to hipster to trendy to wealthy. I think the service was great but if you are looking for a more restaurant feel you should book the downstairs. if your looking for having to flag down your waiter than upstairs is key.Special Features:
- A Great Night Out!AKC13Dined on 1/17/2014FIrst time at Halcyon, and WOW!!! Made a reservation for 4 in advance (wasn't crowded when we arrived but filled up quickly) and was seated right away. Service was excellent and the food was among the best seafood I've had in the area...very fresh and well prepared. Not a cheap night out, but definitely worth it and less than NYC with all the ambiance. All in all a great place to enjoy a special occasion and/or special friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new and much improved menuNicoVIPDined on 1/16/2014A new and much improved menu makes this restaurant a pleasure to behold! The grilled unadorned shrimp were perfectly cooked and a grilled artichoke appetizer made this a light satisfying meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food but very noisyEccomiDined on 1/15/2014Visited Halcyon for first time for dinner on a Wednesday night at 8. The tables were only half full but the bar, which is open to the dining room, was packed with animated people talking loudly, and ever louder as the evening progressed. The food and service were quite good. I especially enjoyed the grilled artichoke starter, and the roasted whole branzino. The waitress and the chef were very helpful at accommodating my spouse's special dietary needs. But for the decibel level we would be anxious to return. Perhaps there is a day of week and time when the bar crowd isn't so revved up. After we departed we stopped in their pub next door (Egan & Son) to compare the noise level. Although a pub, It was not nearly as noisy as in Halcyon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placeSabbyandJohnVIPDined on 1/10/2014We love Halcyon, a wonderful place to celebrate or just a weekend date. We go every Friday and love it each and every time. Amazing food, great staff, perfection.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Atmosphereebw5Dined on 1/10/2014Halcyon has consistently good food and a very pleasing atmosphere. The staff is always professional and accommodating. A sure thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 1/3/2014We had a lovely time, amazing food, great staff, really nice place all-around.Special Features:
- not bad, but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013food was good but lacked some refinement. service was uninspired but adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish. All four of usPantsVIPDined on 12/21/2013Great fish. All four of us enjoyed dinner.I usually prefer a BYOB in New Jersey, but the drinks were good and the food was terrific. We will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome time.SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 12/20/2013The food is excellent, staff really pro yet friendly, ambiance lovely. Had a awesome time.Special Features:
- Great food, great service…!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 12/13/2013You can't go wrong with going to Halcyon. The food is exceptional, staff friendly yet professional, ambiance lovely and romantic. Can't say enough about the food, it's wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, fun and delicious.JudiDined on 12/11/2013This restaurant is one of my favorite go-to establishments in Montclair. The menu is elegant and always prepared to delight one 's palate. Whether for intimate dining or a small group, you will enjoy your dining experience and will want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as it used to beCDDineDined on 12/7/2013The last two times we have been here we have noticed a dramatic difference in service and food. It used to feel like an event, you were treated really warmly by the wait staff, your waiter would greet you and introduce themselves, very helpful and knowledgeable on the menu ....now it feels like they do 'drive by' stops to your table and are inconsistent on service. The food was just ok - nothing spectacular. I ordered the tuna which is on the menu and it was literally drenched in sauce, so much so that I could not eat the green beans. They could have just drizzled the sauce and it would have been great. Also our cesar salad had way too much dressing, something I really dislike. I ordered a bellini and it tasted like the champagne was flat.
- Always a pleasure!!!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 12/6/2013Had a wonderful dinner (great chef!!!) Friendly staff, beautiful ambiance. Can't go wrong with Halcyon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halcyon, a Great Montclair RestauraOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013If you like fish, this is the place to go. Food beautifully prepared., service excellent, comfortable surroundings. Outdoor dining available, except in bad weather.Special Features:
- Always greatLetseatVIPDined on 11/30/2013Went the other night with friends. We have been here before and we find ourselves always bringing family and friends here. The food and service is always very good. I had fish it was very good and they made it for me dairy free. My husband had the paella and he said it was wonderful. Feels very comfortable inside. We will return.Special Features:
- Delicious Seafood!traveledfoodieVIPDined on 11/29/2013We were looking for an after Thanksgiving dinner with great friends we don't see very often, and Halcyon was a perfect fit. We are former Montclair residents, who moved away before the town's restaurant boom. So glad to find places like this are thriving. Be aware that this was not a speedy meal, since everything is prepared fresh and to order. It was a bit loud at first, but it seemed to settle down after about 15 minutes. As apps, the mussels and little neck clams were delicious. For dinner, my wife and I split the paella - perfect for two the day after a large meal. Our friends enjoyed the King Salmon and curried shrimp. While we don't visit often, we hope to be back to this restaurant soon!Special Features:
- Too loud to enjoy foodmlouDined on 11/29/2013Restaurant is lovely to look at. The food was a bit pricey but good with attractive and appealing presentation except for the mussels and French fries. Museels were a bit small but their broth was excellent. However, the potatoes were piled on top of the mussels and many of them fell in the broth and were totally soaked or at least partially submerged. Really inedibile. Those that survived were thin and crispy. Usually the frites are presented in a separate container so that they are crispy, crunchy and dry. These were not. Usually a soup spoon is provided for eating the broth; here there was no spoon. The presentation of this dish should be rethought! The noise level was so loud that conversation was difficult at best.Special Features:
- Worth the trip from Brooklyn!SuzyDined on 11/23/2013Looking for a fun and delicious evening trying out a restaurant new to us, we discovered Halcyon by seeking out regional seafood haunts. Despite an hour's drive, the sophisticated decor and array of choices for appetizers and main dishes were satisfying rewards. The pear salad was "to die for," as the pears are poached in some honey/cinnamon mixture offset with blue cheese and nuts, and they are hidden like surprises under very tasty mixed greens. The branzino was meaty, tender and well-grilled and seasoned. Slight disappointment was the lemon merinque pie, which was half crust. And, we had a 9:30 pm reservation, but seated at 9:40/9:45 on a Saturday evening. The 9:30 reservation was best available at 3:30 earlier that afternoon....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it stunkognolaDined on 11/23/2013food was bad, service was worse. would never go back. surprising since a few people recommended it. when i told them how bad it was i found out that they only had appetizers and drinks there. for that its probably fine...skip dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerkasaVIPDined on 11/16/2013This is our second time eating at Halcyon and it did not disappoint. My husband and one of our friends got the special potato encrusted halibut, I had the butternut squash ravioli and our other friend had the sea scallops. All was outstanding. We also started with oysters and the grilled artichoke. The artichoke was a bit greasy... that would be my only complaint, but it was still really good. Our waiter was OK. Not super attentive and took a bit of time to get our second glass of wine, but overall a great dinner and great night.Special Features:
- date night with a baby!veronaDined on 11/16/2013my wife was craving seafood and we went out for an early "date-nite" with our 3 month old daughter....great experience from arrival to departure...staff was active and always one step ahead and very accommodating for our baby the tuna tartare was excellent along with the halibut and diver scallops..loved the foley estate pinot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.