114 Walnut Street
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halcyonbrasserie.com/
- Phone: (973) 744-4450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30PM Dinner: Sunday - 5:00 PM- 9:00 PM Bar: Friday and Saturday - 2 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please Visit our Website for all Private Party Inquiries & a View of our Private Event Menu Packages. Visit Halcyonbrasserie.com
- Entertainment: Live DJ every Friday and Saturday Night in our Lounge
A word from Halcyon Brasserie
Halcyon is a fine seafood brasserie, specializing in the freshest local catches, boasting a full service raw bar, upstairs lounge, and tranquil atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Halcyon Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Halcyon Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (40)romantic (39)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (29)good for groups (22)notable wine list (22)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great experienceBigEDined on 11/18/2014It was a tad too dark and our booth for two was a tad too tight (I had to keep my legs to the side to keep from having my feet entangled with my dinner companion who was NOT a date.) as neither of us could really move. But the service was excellent and the food delicious. It's a lovely restaurant without being stuffy or pretentious. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- johnDined on 11/18/2014excellent restaurant greata service beautiful setting attractive barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/14/2014Wonderful place to dine... Food is amazing, wonderful staff...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing restaurant in Montclair.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014This is consistently a go-to place in Montclair. Always dependably great food, ambiance and social bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementRubyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Our meal was very good with nice sized portions. The dining room is beautiful and the booths are quite comfortable. The service wasn't good, we waited for a good five minutes after being seated for someone to bring water and take our drink orders then we had to flag down our waitress every time we wanted something. I would have given higher marks but the night we dined there was a booth of six young women who were so loud that we had trouble hearing friends at our table two booths away. There were other people looking at the loud offenders but nothing changed. This could be a very romantic restaurant but the noise level is a deterrent.Special Features:
- Anniversary TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014Went here recently for the first time for our anniversary and had a great meal. Service was excellent, and so was the food. Booth seating felt a little cramped, but next time I will ask for a table. There are so many places to choose from in Montclair, I'm glad we finally came here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madisonDined on 11/8/2014All around excellent. a bit noisy if you are looking for quiet.Special Features:
- appreciategoodfoodDined on 11/7/2014This was our second visit - our first visit we were celebrating a friends unexpected engagement only minutes earlier so we did not hold back on ordering and as such our bill was high - I chalked it up to our celebration. (And during that visit the food was good) This time the bill was still quite high (which I felt was not warranted by the overcooked [dry] halibut special that both I an my husband were served). We most likely will not be returning a third time
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014Great place, you can't go wrong at Halyon. Food great, service amazing, ambiance lovely. It's all good!Special Features:
- Will be backRedhandDined on 10/11/2014Been many times. Guests are always impressed with Halcyon and MontclairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningcharnelleDined on 10/4/2014Halcyon is a pretty place with it's marble walls, separated bar, and comfy booths. Tables for 2 are nicely spaced. Food was delish from apps, entrees and desserts. Lauren gave great recommendations and service. Will def. come back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphereDediedinesoutDined on 9/30/2014This beautiful restaurant offers a wonderful assortment of delicious seafood entrees. Starters and sides are very good also. Cod special was nicely crispy on the outside with a light, soft interior. The swordfish was very good. Paella was the pick of the night. For the non fish lovers, the short rib burger was delicious and the portion was ample. Nice spot for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceDinner4FiveVIPDined on 9/30/2014Good food, good service. Large portions. Great atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!BenVeronaDined on 9/26/2014Halcyon is a very nice seafood-oriented restaurant, right next to the casual place Egan's (and I believe owned by the same people). Halcyon has a large marble-topped bar with a good selection of drinks and friendly bartenders who give generous pours. The seating area for dinner is somewhat loud and slightly crowded (our table was not large) and our waiter was not especially attentive, but the food was magnificent! I had the organic beet salad and the seafood paella, and my wife had the "Wild Salmon Three Ways" and the scallops, and we both were very happy. Prices were relatively high - between the bar and the meal with drinks, we spent over $200 - and parking can be difficult (very crowded), but the food was excellent and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this PlaceAngeloDined on 9/20/2014Great sea food. Eaten here many times & always a great meal. My Wife & I love oysters. We always have a dozen to start. Main meal was very good. My swordfish was tender & moist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonesDined on 9/11/2014we go to this restaurant frequently and it is annoying to get a survey request every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/5/2014Halcyon is a must try! Great food, gfeat service, lovely decor...Special Features:
- I'll Be Back!food4thoughtDined on 9/3/2014For appetizers we tried oysters from both east and west coasts. Fresh & fabulous. We had excellent lobster and halibut entrees, both well prepared and served. Great martini cocktails with blue cheese stuffed olives and friendly service further enhanced our meal. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- A favoriteWC10Dined on 8/31/2014The food is very good, the atmosphere great and the service is always fantastic! This is one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Amazing food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/28/2014We are regulars at Halcyon... The lobster salad is a must!!! For a lighter dinner or aps, fish tacos, moules, the frits (fries) are the best we've had anywhere, including NYC french restaurants... Salmon 3 ways is lovely... The main courses are wonderful... A must try!Special Features:
- Deafening atmospherelouiserfDined on 8/23/2014This is not a relaxing place for dining. The noise level is such that one can't have a conversation without shouting. The bar scene is where it's at, and this nothing other than a local watering hole. The food was just fair, and the wait staff seemed overwhelmed with serving.Special Features:
- WonderfulSBRenieDined on 8/23/2014It is always such a treat to go to Halcyon with my family, including my young son. We always have an amazing meal, great service and an enjoyable night out. The shellfish is always soooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance… Can't go wrong with Halcyon!Special Features:
- One of the best in NJFirsttimeacharmDined on 8/20/2014It was our first time here. Went there for my husband's 40th birthday and we really enjoyed the food. They have a large selection of food. I just wished they also have a few selection for kids. But overall, food is great. Would want to come again and try something else on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!Peter375Dined on 8/20/2014Our Waitress was wonderful and very very friendly and helpful! The salmon was the best I ever tasted and the black rice and vegetables were out of this world! This was our first visit and will not be our last! Try it...You will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HalcyonPhlGrlVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were seated right away, but unfortunately the hostest did not check us in, and therefore we were considered a no show, although the entryway is so small that I could clearly see my name and reservation, but she seemed busy chatting with one of the servers. This was our first time here so that initial impression topped off with not checking us in with our reservation was disappointing. On a good note the lemon drop martini was better than I expected and the truffle fries our definitely worth going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDmikepDined on 8/17/2014Raw bar is AMAZING.. Apps where even better..Seafood was on the money... We both finished everything.. 100% going back. Not cheap but the price equals the value of the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bvegDined on 8/16/2014food was excellent however it was extremely LouD !! and service was so so didn't check back in at all wasn't able to order another drink again food was excellentSpecial Features:
- fisholiciousDined on 8/10/2014Excellent choice for fish lovers. Nice sized portions, with flavorful preparations done to perfection. Wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Great place to dine leisurely or to celebrate a special event.Special Features:
- I would go back again....NoisyDined on 8/9/2014I liked the restaurant very much - the food was delicious and the wait staff very friendly. A few drawbacks though. 1.My boyfriend ordered a whole fish and they did not fillet it. They said they will fillet the fish during the week but it's too busy on the weekends. 2. After we had our dessert it seemed to take a long time for our waitress to come over to the table and ask if we were ready for the check, which we were. 3. The noise level is way too loud. We arrived at 6:30p and by about 8pm it was so loud it was difficult to hear each other speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food, great staff, great experience... Will do over and over!Special Features:
- Amazing tacosStephDined on 8/2/2014The fish tacos are worth the trip every time! They are amazing- the double shell is the best part! Can't wait to have them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great staff, can't go wrong with Halcyon!Special Features:
- SsnissimVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had a wonderful meal here this weekend. Everything we ordered was delicious; we especially loved the tuna tartare!! The restaurant was loud but since we sat in the front it wasn't as crowded or noisy as the main dining room. Had a great atmosphere. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy, smiling people...ebw5Dined on 8/1/2014Halcyon is inviting from the moment you walk in. Staff is super friendly and the food consistently good. The only thing missing is the sand between your toes and the smell of the salt air!Special Features:
- KosherchefVIPDined on 8/1/2014I was sorely disappointed. The restaurant was highly recommended. The hostess was pleasant, but not welcoming. The waiter was pleasant enough, but not extremely helpful. The bread service was two small pieces and a half piece of bread with a Amal plate with oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and three small olives. Paltry! We had both ordered the Caesar salad. The presentation on both was different: one was piled high and the other flat. My cod was well cooked, but the herb topping was slightly bitter and had much too much garlic for the cod. My husband's shrimp and clams dish did not live up to its description. The pasta was gummy, there were 3 clams and 4 shrimp,both cooked separately and overdone. A total disappointment.
- My favorite place in Montclair!artlover23Dined on 7/27/2014I've been to Halcyon several times and it's always amazing. Beautiful space with a fresh, yet retro feel. U-shaped booths, marble walls and tables, lots of chrome and organza curtains between booths for a little privacy. Creative, fresh menu as well as an extensive raw bar. I love the vegetable quinoa side dish - I'd go back just for that. This time I had the yummy paella. Big enough to take half home, but not embarrassing to have in front of you while everyone else eats salad. Friends loved the lemon kale, swordfish and crispy duck salad. Lovely service, always. There's a nice bar downstairs - a rarity in Montclair. It was quiet on Sunday night, but loud when it's crowded. Stunning upstairs lounge, too.Special Features:
- The following 562 reviews are from the Halcyon Brasserie reviews archive.
- Fish tacosSuziabnycDined on 7/24/2014Great oysters and love the fish tacos! Reliable seafood with a trendy feel. One of my favorite spots in Montclair!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect 10!COOLPHORICSDined on 7/22/2014Halcyon is as a top level restaurant should be. We were treated as though we'd been there many times, even though it was our first. The person who greeted us, our Server, and Busboy, were all superb. We were seated at the exact location requested. The Octopus, Swordfish, and Cherry Pie were all presented and prepared beyond compare. The Campari, soda, with a slice of orange, were made as requested. So much so that I had to get another. I will return and recommend without equivocation. Halcyon takes and honors Reservations. Go there!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food is outstanding! My husband and I split the crabcake as an appetizer and loved it! My husband had the swordfish and I had the scallops which again were outstanding.Special Features: