2521 N. California
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hachiskitchen.com/
- Phone: 7732768080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30PM - 11:00PM Friday & Saturday:4:30PM - 12:00AM Sunday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: James Bee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering is available upon request. Please contact the restaurant at least 24 hours ahead of time.
A word from Hachi's Kitchen
In Japanese, the word hachi means bee...as in Jim Bee, the chef & owner of Hachi's Kitchen in Logan Square. Jim is well known throughout Chicago for his innovation, dedication & artfulness in the realm of sushi. For twenty-four years, he has has been serving the freshest and highest quality seafood to his patrons at Sai Cafe in Lincoln Park. Our menu is critically acclaimed and we have been recognized by organizations such as Zagets, Chicago Magazine, and most recently Check Please. We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hachi's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- One of the best in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Hachi's is one of the best sushi places in Chicago. Their fish is always fresh, they have great oyster shooters, and are very friendly. A must if you enjoy fresh sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnercestdavidDined on 8/3/2014We had pleasant dinner for 5 including one 4 year old toddler. Service was very attentive, especially to my daughter. Food was good. Tempura was excellent. We had some sushi rolls as well. All were fresh tasting and good, but only a few were outstanding. I will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Hachi/s Kitchenjjddk317Dined on 7/25/2014Their building looks unique from the outside and is easy to find. However, when I walked in on Friday evening, the restaurant was almost empty, not always a good sign. Anyways, 2 of us ordered 4 pieces of Hamachi sushi, 2 spicy tuna handrolls, tempura udon, gyoza, and green tea cremeburlee and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. We weren't that full after eating everything we ordered so we thought about ordering a few more pieces of sushi, but we opted out for their Hamachi was tasteless. I have to say that their tempura udon and desserts were awesome. However, their sushi, handrolls, and gyoza were very mediocre at the best. The service was good though.
- Fresh and flavorful sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014Hachi's is our go-to of sushi in Logan Square. The sushi is reliably fresh and delicious. The staff is welcoming and friendly. The restaurant is lively, but conversation-friendly, and they have a small outdoor space.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the Hachi's Kitchen reviews archive.
- Service as great as the foodDHRbDined on 3/16/2014Like Sai Cafe, this restaurant is all about the fish. Try the Alaskan Crab, Spicy white tuna crunch, and the baby salmon. Quality, Fresh Sushi that always has a generous cut. Ask for Gina - she's probably the best server of anyone at any sushi place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undercover great tasteAddhemarDined on 2/8/2014I had never heard of this restaurant but when I needed to find a Sushi place in Logan Square, I stumbled upon this one online. The great reviews online have me confidence but, once there, I was pleasantly surprised. The place was different, in terms of layout, a bit on the bright side but no big deal and the employees were very nice and super attentive. The food was fresh, well presented and spicy when labeled 'spicy' and I highly endorse that. I ordered the spicy tuna and the spicy octopus rolls and they were great. I'd recommend a non-spicy roll for contrast though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent kitchenBurtBVIPDined on 12/30/2013What a gem that seems hidden on North Califonia street in Logan Square. This place is a must to eat. If you like sushi, maki, and more, this is it. Nice simple interior decor, yet exudes a vibrant ambiance when you sit down. Try as much as you can. I loved the edi maki roll, and the Volcano is a must try, excellent service and well priced portions make this place a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi om nom nomFoodWiseVIPDined on 12/20/2013I'm from LA, lived in Seattle, San Francisco and NYC, I know good sushi and let me tell you this place is the best in chicago by fat except for its sister restaurant on Armitage. Amazing!Special Features:
- So good!LeeLeeVIPDined on 12/14/2013The sushi here is as fresh as you will find in Chicago. SO good. Definitely a must if you are a sushi snob. The service is also outstanding.Special Features:
- You like fish?gmonetDined on 11/2/2013It's easy for sushi to be bad, so this place was pretty good. Somewhat of a hidden gem in the Logan neighborhood. I'd recommend it for people who are big on sushi. It has a full bar, too. They had fresh scallops while we were there - they were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hachi's Kitchen is a Stand-out.mmdytchDined on 7/27/2013It's hard for a sushi spot to stand out - there are so many of them - but Hachi's Kitchen manages to separate itself from the pack with dressed up decor and solid food. I had plump fried oysters and crispy gyoza, followed by the Volcano Roll (creamy lobster, wasabi and tobiko, dredged in tempura crumbs. My friend had the salad with ginger dressing and the combination tempura. It was all delicious. Service was cheerful and attentive. This place is owned by the people who run Sai Cafe in Lincoln Park, So I knew it would be good going in, and they did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sake SpectacularEloisePeachesDined on 7/20/2013My boyfriend and I came here for a quiet date night and ended up staying for several hours drinking lots of sake and eating so much amazing food. The service is wonderful and the food is always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere; poor service/sushiNicoleVIPDined on 6/28/2013We tried this place because the Yelp reviews looked positive. The service was sub-par, and the sushi did not taste fresh at all. When we told the manager that one roll in particular was not to our liking, she said our server should have warned us that that roll is not recommended if you've never ordered it before. Our server obviously did not tell us this, and the manager didn't apologize or take it off our bill. We were disappointed in the service and food quality and will go to the sushi restaurant next door (Gosu) next time.
- great twiceSneezeVIPDined on 5/17/2013Very fresh sushi with some more unusual dishes. Toro tuna compiled table side was outstanding. Noise level for a small restaurant was excessive. Service greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- everytime I go to hachi'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/21/2013everytime I go to hachi's kitchen (which is a lot...) I swear it tastes better than last time! the sushi is so fresh and delicious. such a great place for you and couple friends to eat some amazing sushi drink wine and talk the night away... :)Special Features:
- High Hachievers!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2013Attractive space, good service and better sushi. What more could a neighborhood ask? Well, perhaps, better dessert. (But you can always pop across the street for the homemade Italian desserts.) A gem.Special Features:
- Quality fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/26/2013Overall I was very pleased with my meal. The quality of the fish is spectacular which is what I care about the most at sushi place. I ordered the sashimi combination as my entree and every piece melted in my mouth. Truly amazing fish! I also enjoyed the yellowtail and jalapeño appetizer. Again, the quality of the fish was outstanding and the sauce and spice from the pepper were a nice addition. The service was so-so but it was a Tuesday night and business was sort of slow. Our waitress wasn't very attentive but we were not in a rush so it didn't detract from the meal. The menu isn't super fancy or cutting edge but if you are looking for quality, this is definitely a great pick.Special Features:
- Fresh from the Sea!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Fist time at Hachi's and we loved it. Food and presentation was wonderful. Food is fresh.Special Features:
- Romantic Sushi SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Hachi's is the go -to for sushi in Logan Square. Great place for a romantic date. Sunken lounge is awesome design.Special Features:
- We have been going to Hachi'sJeanVIPDined on 2/27/2013We have been going to Hachi's Kitchen for years and it is always the best! The use the freshest ingredients, have very attentive service and a relaxing atmosphere. No matter how many other sushi places we try, we always come back to Hachi's even after we moved out of the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Went to Hatchi's for a celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Went to Hatchi's for a celebration with the girlfriend. Had great service, staff was very accommodating. And the sushi was great! Decent variety, and would definitely come back. Curious to try the Chef's feast where he picks a multiple course dinner for you and you sit back and just enjoy!Special Features:
- The only reason I am givingBluesboyVIPDined on 2/14/2013The only reason I am giving this 1 star is because the food was very good. The service, however, was absolutely terrible. After sitting down to eat at 7PM, we placed a drink and first round of food order. The drinks took 15 minutes to get, the first appetizer 20 minutes, and the second appetizer came after almost AN HOUR. During that hour, the waitress never stopped to ask if we wanted more drinks or to update us on our food. We had to ask twice just to order more drinks. WHAT?! Only after we asked the manager on duty were we able to get more drinks and then the second appetizer came with the main order. After eating what we had, no one ever came back to ask if we needed anything else, if the food was good, or just to check in. Ridiculous!
- Fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/29/2012Excellent food. Fresh fish. Creative dishes. Attentive service. Casual and friendly.Special Features:
- Aesthetically pleasing withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Aesthetically pleasing with great service. Easy to get to and park. Menu, especially rolls, more limited than expected. Scallops appetizer was great. Roll was bland. Tempura was beneath expectations. Sashimi was sufficient. Reasonably priced.
- Best sushi in ChicagoMischVIPDined on 12/1/2012The fish has always been so fresh and always delicious. The food has consistently been excellent. Ask the waitress what their favorites are and they'll give you options not even on the menu ("secret menu"). Ambiance is great, staff is attentive and quick.Special Features:
- We have been to Hachi's many,JeanVIPDined on 11/29/2012We have been to Hachi's many, many times and the sushi is always outstanding and very fresh. The wine and cocktail list is small but well chosen and the service is friendly and attentive. Add jazz as the background music and you have a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Best sushi in Logan SquareluvloganVIPDined on 11/7/2012I love Hachi's Kitchen. This is my top go-to for sushi in Logan Square. Favorites from the menu include Ahi Poke, Halloween Maki, Spicy Take Maki and Spicy White Tuna Crunch. The space itself is cozy and the staff is very accommodating. Sushi is always fresh and tasty. I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in Logan SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2012I've been ordering Hachi's via GrubHub for years and this is the first time I have actually dined at their charming restaurant. By far the best sushi in Logan Square and a real find! Make sure you ask for the fresh wasabi as it is a game-changer for sure! The hamachi and jalapeno is another treasure, as are the seared scallops. Pieces and rolls are both excellent!Special Features:
- Excellent sushi & sashimiNicknameDined on 10/1/2012Excellent sushi & sashimi all around. Everything totally fresh. Ample fish slices. Oyster shooters bought on a lark proved to be the biggest, tastiest oysters I'd ever had. One person in the group ordered chicken teriaki which I tried & thought it great; likewise with vegetable tempura. Owned by same owners of Sai Cafe where I always go for sushi. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Japanese restaurants are everywhereSneezeVIPDined on 9/28/2012Japanese restaurants are everywhere so it is hard to get excited anymore. The food and menu items are simple but prepared with the freshest of ingredients and they delight the taste buds. Tuna poki wonderful. Tempura udon delicious. Our rolls were perfect. The waitresses were attentive and it has become my new go to Japanese restaurant.Special Features:
- Japanese, as it should beStephSDVIPDined on 9/22/2012We enjoyed authentic Japanese cuisine in a tranquil setting. The ambiance and service was excellent! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- We had rolls, tempura, noodlesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2012We had rolls, tempura, noodles and a bit of everything. Sea bass entree was terrific and the ahi tuna poke was so fresh that it was positively creamy.
- Wonderful early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/25/2012We had an early dinner reservation around 5 pm and were pretty much alone in the restaurant. People started coming in when we were done with our meal. Service was great and staffs recommendations were very good. Wine by the glass had a very good quality selection. Had a few appetizers, then Sashimi and a couple of maki special rolls. Fish quality was outstanding and very very fresh and tasty. The Unagi and various tuna pieces were the best we have had so far. Will definitely recommend Hachi's and be back soon.Special Features:
- Always FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2012Always fresh food, excellent presentation, very tasty, and great service.Special Features:
- Sushi Awesome!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2012The service was truly outstanding! Have been there before will continue to dine!!!Special Features:
- We go every Friday and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012We go every Friday and they take care of us like family, as they do to all guests that enter the restaurant. The food is imbeccable and we would recommend to anyone who loves fresh sushi!Special Features:
- Japanese not American-Japanese!PIOMAKDined on 4/14/2012Despite a bit odd location, Hatchi is truly worth recommendation for all Japanese food lovers. There are most classics available, with good selection of makis, sashimi, teriyaki. Notably, the rolls - America favorites - are not ruling there, which is a good sign! Very good miso soup, which is so often spoiled! Good selection of starters and wines. Service efficient, without being too imposing, which is a problem in most US restaurants. A bit too small for big groups but perfect for small parties.Special Features:
- We love going to Hachi's Kitchen,JLDKVIPDined on 3/31/2012We love going to Hachi's Kitchen, the food, atmosphere, overall experience are tremendous and deliver every time.Special Features:
- Nice place- but did not live up toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/17/2012We had a nice dinner outside. Some of the sushi was exceptional - tuna and scallop for example, but the rolls were just ok. Have had better at many other places. Had friends tell me this was best sushi in town. While this place was fine, I did not think it was that outstanding. Prices were generally good. Our server was fine, but as happens so often, tables next to us had a more attentive server. Again, nothing wrong with ours, but in comparison, could have been better. Everyone at restaurant was very friendly.Special Features:
- It was great. Still gettingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012It was great. Still getting the hang of sushi (I like pretty much everything, just can't tell you what anything is) but I enjoyed it. Maybe a little more expensive compared to some other places, but the atmosphere was nice and I forgot that they had outdoor seating, which made it even more fun. Loved the big boy Sapporo beer.Special Features: