510 Market Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.habitatrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4127738848x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Dalling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Habitat offers many options to accommodate your private dining needs including an intimate communal table, semi-private dining near the exhibition kitchen and bar seating perfect for cocktail receptions. All private parties enjoy the impeccable service and cuisine for which Habitat is known.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Thomure 4127738848x
A word from Habitat
At Habitat, your table is set at the center of culture, cuisine and community. Let our staff share with you how Executive Chef Jason Dalling expertly blends locally-sourced ingredients to create a menu that ranges from internationally-inspired to traditional American dishes. Enjoy food that is tastefully unique and truly memorable in an atmosphere that is engaging and comfortable. Habitat is a place to call your own.Continued
Your table is waiting.
Your table is waiting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Habitat reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)special occasion (85)romantic (49)great for lunch (47)good for groups (42)scenic view (31)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (21)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent ServicesleighDined on 9/28/2014We went to Habitat before a matinee at Heinz Hall, so we were on a tight schedule. One of our party opted for the brunch buffet, which turned out to be an excellent option, with a wide variety of choices. Our server also told us, if there was anything we didn't see at the buffet but wanted, we only had to ask. Two others in our party opted to order off the menu, one of whom is extremely picky. She was pleased with her lunch and we all found the food quality to be exceptional. The most outstanding feature of Habitat, however, was our incredible server. She was warm, thoughtful, and attentive. Overall, I would give Habitat high marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ingredients, tasty food, $$$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Thought we'd try a hotel-based restaurant near the theatre district. Habitat did not disappoint. Excellent service combined with wonderful presentation and top notch ingredients made this just the ticket for date night/dinner and a show. We had modest portions to be sure but the appetizers were exquisite and the mains of halibut and duck (always tough to get right - slight pun intended) were first class. Our only regret was that we didn't have time for dessert. Be aware though that if you add a nice wine you'll be north of $100 each for the experincene.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in PittsburghKfromPADined on 9/25/2014For special occasions my friend and I love to dine at Habitat. The food is locally grown, the menu is seasonal, and the dishes are out of this world! If you go this fall, make sure to try the potato and leek soup, which was our favorite part of our meal during our recent visit. I'm already looking forward to our next dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!PrefersNotToCookDined on 9/24/2014Habitat was a fantastic dinner celebration for my parents anniversary. We had asked for a table near the kitchen since it's fun to watch all the food prep. Nathaniel was a great server. The food is delicious, creative, and presented beautifully.Special Features:
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2014Enjoyed the food very much. I found the service to be a bit slow, particularly when there was hardly anyone in the restaurant, which I did not understand.
- best service everHost25Dined on 9/22/2014Dined for a late birthday celebration and Phil N was our server. He was AMAZING, the birthday girl loved him. And the food was delicious paired with a nice bottle of wine and a an unforgettable dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely casual but high class diningmslumDined on 9/18/2014Nice setting, great food, and a very pleasant overall experience, without being stuffy. This place should definitely be more popular but I think people who are not staying at the hotel don't realize it is there.Special Features:
- Food is fine service strugglesSnackmasterDined on 9/18/2014The food here is nice...but the service struggles. We had a reservation for lunch on a business day and our server continually wandered away and disappeared to the point that we were worried about getting out on time. In the end it worked out.
- AnniversarykatiepotatieDined on 9/13/2014We came to Habitat for our first wedding anniversary, and we are very happy with our experience. Our waiter, Rajesh, was outstanding; he was very knowledgeable about the menu and made excellent recommendations. Every person who came to our table at one point or another during the evening wished us a happy anniversary, even the man behind the bar as we were leaving. The food was delicious and unique, and the cocktails were amazing. We had a lovely evening and are so happy we chose Habitat for our special occasion - they clearly made an extraordinary effort to make it special for us.Special Features:
- Saturday evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was excellent! The service was top notch, the food, wonderful, dessert was great! We will return to this venue, and recommend to others as well. Foodies, lovers, and first dates, all will be pleased! The restaurant offers an open floor plan that seems intimate at the same time. The spice in the food was not over-powering and the blend of tastes was right-on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a Habit-tatSwenseVIPDined on 9/10/2014This week I had the lobster tail and decided to accompany it with a side of snap/snow peas with pecorino. The lobster was exquisit. the peas tasted as if the chef had just picked them off the vine. Local products are so, so enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much of a hotel restaurantDomDomDined on 9/6/2014Habitat is an architecturally impressive space - as is the rest of the Fairmont. It has an identity - from the locally-sourced produce to the Andy Warhol-inspired artwork. Trouble is, you scratch the surface and it's a conventional hotel restaurant. It's big - ie seldom full - and the way that the room is lit take away any intimacy from the space. The lack of atmosphere is even more telling in a part of the city that now has a vibrant and emerging restaurant scene. Servers in suits or waistcoats with name badges deliver the food, for example, where piercings and tattoos are more de rigeur at the local competitors. The food is patchy too - there are some nice dishes and attractive presentation, but much of the menu is poorly executed.Special Features:
- good but definitely not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014The menu was interesting and had the potential to be great, but fell short. The naan bread appetizer was amazing. I had the cauliflower and sunchokes and it would have been better if it were cooked longer (my cauliflower was practically raw - I almost had to ask for a steak knife to cut it) and it would have been far better if there were more of the tarragon sauce (there was just a smear on the plate basically). The mushroom risotto was good. The people I dined with said pretty much the same thing - the arctic char had too much bacon and was too salty, the chicken dish was good, the steak and macaroni and cheese that someone ordered looked excellent and would have been a better choice.Special Features:
- Hotel Restaurants?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/31/2014Hotel Restaurants are a hit or miss. Miss in many cases. I booked the restaurant not realizing it was a hotel restaurant, my bad - was intrigued by reviews of organic locally sourced food. Would not have done so had I known. They seated us at an awkward table, in the middle of a room where noise just bounced around the room making it hard to carry out a conversation. They got an entree order wrong - hard to make amends when that happens. The food was mixed - so averages fair.
- As AlwaysSwenseVIPDined on 8/28/2014All of the food was delicious - well prepared, well plated, well presented by excellent wait staff. I have not found any restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh that meets the standards demonstrated at Habitat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the restaurant!RellenVIPDined on 8/27/2014We enjoy introducing people to the restaurant since the food, ambiance and service is first-rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is becoming a Habit-tat!!SwenseVIPDined on 8/26/2014Brought a 2 colleagues with me to Habitat. They raved about the place, as i have on all previous occasions. Between the food, the service and the ambiance - hard to pick which is better - as all 3 are THE BEST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the food.ClaudeDined on 8/25/2014The steak was delicious, one of the best I've had. Service is timely. Overall, good experience. This is a great place for business' lunches and dinners and for hot dates as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchAprilVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great place for a lunch "hour." Service is fast and food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local and organic foodmrg59VIPDined on 8/23/2014Was not disappointed at Habitat. The food, atmosphere and service were all great. I ordered the beef tenderloin and it was very tender and great portion size. The beet salad and risotto were also very good and Habit has a nice selection of wines. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Great Service, Glad We Went Back!heatheryDined on 8/20/2014My friend and tried Habitat a few years ago and were decidedly unimpressed -- the food was food boring, the service unexceptional, and the restaurant empty. What a difference a few years makes! This time we were very impressed with the food -- the beet appetizer was amazing (try it! Not your usual beet app). . The gnocchi was light, fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth. For our main, we split the cod, replacing haddock for the cod - amazing. Serving sizes are not huge, but we were satisfied on leaving. Nathaniel was a stellar server and guided us well, resolving our only issue immediately (grounds in the irish coffee). It was still empty, though - only six people on a Wednesday night.Special Features:
- RobinDined on 8/18/2014I really appreciate the gluten free menu options! I enjoyed both teh soup as well as the sndwich withthe Gluten Free bread. A treat!Special Features:
- A Lovely Experience at the HabitatMiner42Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant is located on the second floor of the Fairmont Hotel in Pittsburgh. My wife and I met some friends for Sunday dinner during “restaurant week”. We ordered off of the special restaurant week menu and had 3 courses. Between us, we had the risotto, scallops, duck, and the ice cream cake. The food was excellent. The service was outstanding. One server (Raj) remembered us from a visit a year ago. Chris did an outstanding job at our table. The ambiance is lovely with big windows. Finally and importantly, the restaurant was quiet. There was no loud music and acoustics dampened the normal restaurant chatter. Habitat is a nice place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014Great food and service. But when seated inside, beware being seated with the sun beaming inside--quite hot.
- Restaurant Week TreatJennDined on 8/16/2014My boyfriend and I capped off our restaurant week on Saturday with a trip to Habitat. From the get-go, our server was extremely friendly and knowledgable of the menu, something I always really appreciate. We ordered the risotto and salmon tartare to begin. I thought both were very tasty, albeit very different dishes. I preferred the salmon just because that is more up my alley at this time of year than a heavier risotto. For our entree, I ordered the duck (per chef's suggestion at medium rare), and my boyfriend had the scallops. He does not prefer the al dente preparation of scallops, and the chef was happy to cook them through. Both dishes were fantastic. Dessert was to die for. We will be back!Special Features:
- Very nice mealJonathanVIPDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed the Restaurant Week menu. Risotto and salmon tartar appetizers, black cod and duck entrees, all done well. Attentive service. An attractive table setting. A good experience.
- fortheloveoffoodDined on 8/15/2014We had pretty much every course from restaurant week. The standout for us was the salmon tar tar and the scallops. The mushroom risotto was flavorless and gummy. They also ran out of the signature dessert. However, our waitress was so fabulous and allowed us to pick to others off the menu and even create our own little combination of desserts, since there was no other chocolate option on the menu. The atmosphere is what you would expect- “tryin to be modern” hotel restaurant decor.Special Features:
- Bucks the trendWillDined on 8/14/2014When one thinks of a hotel-based restaurant, less than inspiring meals usually come to mind. Not so with Habitat, which presents a beautiful space, service that goes above and beyond to make dining a pleasure, and food that will leave you bragging to your friends. It's not the cheapest night out in Pittsburgh or, perhaps, the trendiest, but Habitat has earned our repeat business.Special Features:
- food searcherfoodsearcherDined on 8/14/2014Considering value to food quality tahis place ranks about a five out of ten. Very expensive, expectations were high and disappointment was evident. Although fish was done very well but sides and other combinations were off. would not return.Special Features:
- Fabulous, parking was only downerChicDined on 8/14/2014We went for restaurant week. The restaurant is beautiful. Loved the fun water pitchers. Our server was fantastic, I think his name was Nate. He really knew the menu and the wine list. He explained to us how the giant table was made, after we told him we loved it. He gave us the advice we needed for planning a holiday dinner there. The only negative, $20 parking with Valet for a 2 hour dinner. With tip $25. A ridiculous amount, pretty much the cost of overnight parking downtown. Other than that, i would highly recommend this restaurant and I look forward to sampling more of their menu on future visits!Special Features:
- We went there for restaurant week.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014The food and service were outstanding. We ordered the duck and black cod and enjoyed the risotto and salmon tartare as an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fail & Reservation LietasterDined on 8/13/2014First: I ordered the scallops. The only flavoring was salt and lots of it. I sent them back. The second edition was just as bad. Second: I made my reservation via Open Table. I requested 7:30. The response was either 6 pm or 8 pm. I chose 6. We arrived to a completely empty restaurant and one that remained that way until well after 7. We could easily have had a table at 7:30. When I asked why we didn't get 7:30 I was told "we have had a lot of cancellations". I don't like being lied to and Open Table seems to be given less than accurate info on availability as well. For these two reasons I will not return and will be sure to dis this place when given the chance. One more thing: standard cocktails (vodka gibson) are expensive.Special Features:
- Consistent Quality and ServiceSharonDined on 8/13/2014Habitat is one of my favorite places for lunch - consistent quality and service, great atmosphere, innovative menu and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeckyDined on 8/12/2014Great food. Pricey. Restaurant week should have been $30.14. Also there should have been a wine pairing for additional.. 2oz pours or something bc $16 martin is is a little silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!DonVDined on 8/12/2014We went for restaurant week and the menu was amazing! We have been there twice before and loved it every time!Special Features:
- DickVIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food that was locally grown. Wait staff was very informed of the menu and made great recommendations.Special Features:
- Restaurant Weekgastrogal89Dined on 8/11/2014My boyfriend and I attended Habitat for restaurant week. The menu from which we ordered was abbreviated, since it was specifically made for restaurant week; however, all of our dining selections were superb. The staff was very attentive. The overall ambience was delightful, and we especially enjoyed the open kitchen concept. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDebharasDined on 8/11/2014Located in the Fairmont hotel, downtown Pittsburgh is a elegant, sleek, yet comfortable restaurant. First time in the city, I made reservations from the pittsburgh restaurant week list. We had a little of a hard time finding it b/c we didn't know that it was located in the Fairmont hotel/suites. We were dressed for the ball game so wasn't sure about fitting in, at first. Not a problem at all. We ate the express lunch that was featured for the event. Delicious and fresh!! A change from most heavy foods in the area. A viewable large, open kitchen was a great feature to watch the chefs in.action. The service was impeccable along with the food. Portions were perfect. Great break from the hustle and bustle of the city.Special Features:
- Delicious foodRellenVIPDined on 8/9/2014Habitat always presents delicious meals. Everything is plated beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Birthday DinnerGirlsWhoEatTheirFeelingsDined on 8/9/2014I took my girlfriend here as a surprise for her birthday, and it was an absolutely lovely evening. Parking downtown is tough (we caved and did the $20 valet due to a Pirate's game that evening), but for a special occasion, not enough to keep us from coming back. Our service here was exceptional and the food was amazing. This is the place to go to try upscale dishes that have a unique twist. The chef and server were also very accommodating to a dairy allergy (the chef even sent us a special sauce to make sure problematic ingredients were substituted, not just omitted like we have experienced at many other upscale places). Make sure you come thirsty, too. We tried several of their specialty cocktails. Each one was fantastic.Special Features: