901 Mountain Street
Canmore, AB T1W 0C9Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.granderockies.com/habitat
- Phone: (403) 679-5228
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Open 7 days a week; 7am - 11:30am
Lunch: Open 7 days a week; 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Open Wednesday-Sunday; 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lounge: Open 7 days a week; 2:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday – Saturday 2:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, International
- Executive Chef: Tim Matsell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautifully appointed and professionally staffed banquet rooms, conference center and meeting facilites, the most sophisticated and luxurious in Canmore Alberta, are now open. The gorgeous rooms, combined with our renowned culinary expertise, are perfect for weddings and celebrations of any size or scale.
- Private Party Contact: Misty Kendal x
- Special Events: Weddings, Corporate, Private Functions.
A word from Habitat Restaurant
Luscious libations and exquisite cuisine - what can be more satisfying after a day of adventure in the mountains or on the golf course? Discover Habitat Restaurant and Bar, Canmore’s latest culinary landmark that offers sophisticated gourmet fare in a lively atmosphere. Deliciously located in the luxurious Grande Rockies Resort - Canmore's new home to all things tasteful.Continued
Experience food with flavors you've never tasted before:
Duck two ways
Trio of short ribs
Experience food with flavors you've never tasted before:
Duck two ways
Trio of short ribs
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Habitat Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Canmore ›
Habitat Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- GF FriendlyLocalResidentDined on 11/15/2014Excellent selection of gluten free menu items for my celiac friend! In fact, almost every item on the menu! The rest of us didn't even miss the gluten...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Took advantage of your Thanksgiving dinner. Everything was great. Michelle from Montreal was a great server. Of particular note was her at attention to an allergy concern. She took the time to find safe deserts for our daugher, and, for the first time she was able to enjoy a desert at a restaurant. Much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTravelgirlDined on 9/28/2014We had an awesome experience on our last night in Canmore. The waiter (Brad) was extremely accommodating and made the perfect suggestions for a shared meal with myself & my two sisters. All of the dishes were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Our only regret is we forgot to take a group photo to remember how fabulous everything was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place,noisy by kitchenjcg1959Dined on 9/20/2014Great food and service try to get table further from kitchen areaSpecial Features:
- Highly RecommendMagzDined on 8/30/2014Thoroughly enjoyed celebrating my Mums 85th Birthday here. The atmosphere was perfect, we were seated in a lovely little alcove next to the window, had beautiful views of the mountains, our server had a great sence of humour and we never felt rushed at any point, Christopher took really great care of us and was knowledgeable in the wines he recommended to accompany our meals. Thank you for helping to make this 85th birthday celebration so enjoyable. If I could make one recommendation it would be for a few more options on the menu. I would definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fine Dining for FoodiesVanFoodiesDined on 8/28/2014We had a delicious dinner with our 8-year-old (who eats like an adult) at this restaurant. Our waiter, Monsieur Cristian, is a true professional of the highest order. As Vancouver/San Francisco enthusiastic eaters, we were surprised to see this quality of a restaurant in a resort town. Lots of good eating in Canmore, but this place really stands out. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Surprise in a hotel!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Set away from downtown, Habitat lives up to a reputation of fresh food done well. Fantastic Ceaser salad, I had the trio of elk, bison, and beef short ribs. Wonderful presentation of all dishes. My wife's polenta wasn't her favorite. Highly recommend
- The following 148 reviews are from the Habitat Restaurant reviews archive.
- RudeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I made a reservation on open table and upon arriving at the restaurant, the host had no record of our reservation. The host was extremely rude and unwilling to accommodate us. We were so put off that we would never go back again.Special Features:
- AwesomeShortsguyandsnarkVIPDined on 6/30/2014Wow Thx open table would not have found otherwise Halibut was amazing sticky toffee wow Real cool placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieDined on 6/7/2014The meal was outstanding.....the service was great...would highly recommend.....we will return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently at the top of my list!Hrd2plsDined on 6/2/2014Habitat never disappoints! Quality food and service each and every time. If you haven't been, you're missing out. Great Canmore dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBonasaDined on 5/30/2014A great place for dinner in Canmore. They not only have several wild game dishes they also cater to gluten free diets. The food is all high quality and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Food was a little expensive but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014The hightlight of our dinner was our waiter, who was both very funny and very efficient. Beyond that there was something lacking. I had the rib trio, and the elk rib was so tough I couldn't cut it. The other two were fine, but the whole dish was awash in sauce, so it really didn't showcase the meat or vegetables that well. A friend had the Arctic Char, and liked it...but didn't rave. The other two had steak, and they also enjoyed it (and did come out as ordered), but both had had much better elsewhere. The sticky toffee pudding was tasty. Overall the food was lacking a little something. The decor is fairly nice - very modern and comfortable. Not a bad find in Canmore.
- dinnerluv2eatDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at Habitat. The service was very good, and the food was excellent. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes and my husband loved his steak. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableCZ2013Dined on 5/2/2014Food was excellent and our waiter was very attentive and informative. There are several items on their menu which are gluten free for those who require this - the spinach and bean polenta was outstanding. The elk meatballs were also very tasty. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentPattieDined on 4/26/2014This was first time to this restaurant, and our group of 4 throughly enjoyed it. Our server 'Christian' was delightful, knowledgeable and friendly. The meal we had was outstanding - tenderloins done to perfection - great crab cakes and fabulous dessert. We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocDDined on 4/18/2014This was our first time at the restaurant The food was suburb. Gormet in everyway and large portions. Our waiter was great and looked after our every needs. We will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Skimpy foodlargemargVIPDined on 4/13/2014First let me say that our server was great, very personable, very friendly young lady so no complaints there...but the four very small bits of beef carpaccio and small loonie-sized chunk of lobster on our eggs benny was truly underwhelming. And not sure whether my knife was dull or the english muffin tough or combo of both, but it was impossible to cut making it very frustrating to eat. And they might want to check the liquid honey in the prefab packages, as it was hard as a rock and nearly impossible to remove...and just a note: allowing your smoking guests/staff to prop open a door within the restaurant therefore allowing cold air to blow directly onto our table was ridiculous. All in all, much better places to eat in Canmore.
- Service PlusConradDined on 4/12/2014The service was outstanding, the food excellent and the presentation stupendous! We will be back!Special Features:
- quite the surpriseNickDVIPDined on 4/12/2014Tucked away in a hotel Habitat is "hidden" from view. But now that we have found it we will go back. The food was great. Bacon wrapped monkfish with an asparagus sauce for the appetizer was probably my favourite; the salmon for main course was good (still moist but a bit too cooked) - but the wild rice risotto that went with it was amazing. The herb crusted roast chicken with the potato cake was good. Desserts were hit and miss – the sticky toffee pudding with homemade cinnamon ice cream was spectacular but the Grand Marnier crème brulee was overcooked. Decent wine selection at good. John was our server – he was really quite outstanding; knew he stuff, friendly, timing was good, not too intrusive but always on top of what was needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ouch... Bad Bartender!AdamDined on 4/11/2014Other than being verbally attacked by the bartender, TWICE, on Friday night... it was a great meal. We have been staying at the Grand Rockies for a number of years and always eat at Habitat, but never have I been treated with such disrespect. If I was the manager I would have fired him on the spot. His name was Darrel. Make sure if you go to eat here you tip toe around this bar tender, and when you order room service and it takes over 1.5 hours for a kids grilled cheese to show up because they forgot to place the order and you had to go remind them after an hour, you don't ask for a discount, because you will get yelled at and have the bill thrown at you.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Hrd2plsDined on 4/6/2014We tried Habitat because of all the fabulous reviews and weren't disappointed...in fact we were wowed by the quality of food and service. What a great find. This will become a regular stop when we are back to Canmore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the experience.JoAlDined on 4/6/2014Was staying at the Grande Rockies, went for breakfast after checkout. Service was great, food was really good and came out fast after ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightMattandStacieDined on 3/29/2014A terrific dining experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable, prompt and very friendly. I had the rib trio and had to extend compliments to the chef. The entire ambience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best keep secretfoodieDined on 3/21/2014the service is at its best! Professional, an attention to details, the "table d'hote" menu is just the perfect choice. Will be back again! best restaurant in Canmore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommended!Hrd2plsDined on 3/20/2014What a great spot. I have really enjoyed past meals and experiences at Habitat so decided to go for a business lunch. It didn't disappoint. The food and service is always first rate and one of my favourite places to dine. If you haven't been here, you're missing out and a must try. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectations and more!TwoofusDined on 3/15/2014I rarely write reviews, and having read mixed reviews on line, I felt compelled to do so. It was a bit hard to find the entrance to the restaurant , and to work our way through the bar to the hostess station, but once there, all was forgotten. Initially we were seated at a table quite close to another couple, with lights a bit brighter than we cared for. We saw a booth became available shortly after we were seated and requested to move.No issues in moving Service was top notch, not too imposing, the "right" amount of interaction. Quality from the appetizers to deserts, and drinks all was all bang on!. Food was cooked perfectly, nice presentation, ambiance, good service, a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Food was excellent, service great unfortunately we felt like we were sitting in the middle of a hallway. Felt like we were in the overflow section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked for my boyfriend’slrb30Dined on 2/22/2014I booked for my boyfriend’s Birthday & I was hoping for a romantic evening. The booths you see in the picture are directly at the front of the hotel/restaurant entrance, right at the Kitchen & serve station & are not in any way in an intimate location. We dined in these booths which had a family directly beside us. Throughout our evening their small children were clambering over the booth, being loud/fussy, and the parents constantly asked their children to be quiet. The server did nothing to stop this & with the lack of music in the restaurant & loud sounds in the kitchen our experience was a total fail. With that being said the food was delicious and the service was impeccable. I would not recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.
- DelishSpike88Dined on 2/17/2014Had a great time, great food as always. Eggs Benny is amazing! Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulNikakinsDined on 2/16/2014As self-described foodies we are often reluctant to try out restaurants in hotels, they typically disappoint. We were, however, more than pleasantly surprised at Habitat. It wasn't just great for a hotel restaurant but great by any standard. It's definitely has a place among Canmore's best!Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable DinnerSirEpiQureDined on 2/15/2014I have much praise for the server and her attention-without it being intrusive. She knew the specials, advised on a small change we inquired about. Also have praise for the chefs as the dinner was very good and the pasta special was so big, it required a doggie bag and lunch next day was also enjoyed. We would return, without a doubt. A good spot in Canmore.Special Features:
- Valentines dinnerZippo6Dined on 2/14/2014The meal had a special menu as it was valentines day, it was excellent!! Would absolutely recommend trying this restaurant out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedMissionguyDined on 2/14/2014Frankly I had very low expectations, the restaurant is situated just off the check in counter of the Rocky Mountain Resort. It initially feels like a lobby bar but once seated you begin to notice details that suggest it may be a good restaurant The wine cabinets are well displayed and stocked. We had the 4 course Valentines choice menu From the amuse to desert, every bite from both our plates was very good. The staff were very friendly and offered genuine opinion on each dish. We were in Canmore for a Valentines Ski / Spa day, dinner wasn't intended to be a highlight of our day but Habitat surprised And contributed to the "best valentines day ever!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2014We arrived a bit later for dinner and there wasn't too many guests in the restaurant so it felt like we were having our own private dinner, we were greeted in a friendly manner and our server was super. We had the special for two, appies were the special of the day flat bread and squash soup - both delicious. Our main dish (chateaubriand) was cooked and served perfectly. Yummy wine and a cocktails added the extra specail touch to the evening. Habitat is one of my favorite Canmore restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in CanmoreOldschoolDined on 2/13/2014Habitat has delivered consistently good meals over 3 separate occasions. In all cases the beef was especially good. Specials were excellent and the various appetizers and desserts were also good. Nice quitet atmosphere and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Super Evening!MarcoVIPDined on 1/26/2014We have been many times and it never fails to deliver great food, atmosphere and service! From the appys and the wine to the perfectly prepared chateaubriand. Thanks for making our anniversary a great one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014We travelled to Canmore from Calgary to spend a Saturday night. We were staying at the Grande Rockies Resort for the first time and decided to eat at the restaurant at the hotel, Habitat, rather than catching a cab for the main street area. What a good decision! I really notice good service these days, and we were not disappointed. Kerri, with help from the manager who was keeping an eye on things, made sure we were never waiting too long and kept our wine glasses topped up. We decided on the chateaubriand to share, which was to die for in my opinion. For $52 each the meal also came with two appetizers and two desserts - all amazing. For the reasonable price, location, ambiance, service and outstanding food I would highly recommend Habitat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/24/2014I hosted a client and lunch was very quickly served, food was awesome and service staff was friendly and efficient., Look forward to going back to enjoy the dinner menu soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.