238 Race Street
San Jose, CA 95126Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.998cuba.com/
- Phone: (408) 998-2822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch- Tuesday - Friday 11 - 2pm
Dinner- Tuesday - Sunday 5 - PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Cuban, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Echeverri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Habana Cuba has a catering menu available with a delivery minimum (the catering is not full service).
- Private Party Facilities: For that special occasion, Habana Cuba is the place to be. Our service, food, and ambiance are the perfect receipt for any memorable event. Our restaurant can accommodate up to 70 guests for sit-down dining and up to 100 guests for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres only.
- Private Party Contact: Jennier 4089982822x
A word from Habana Cuba
Located off of The Alameda downtown San Jose, Habana Cuba's family tradition continues to provide hearty comfort food paired with wonderful Spanish wines. Ranked in the top 50 Spanish Restaurants in the US.Continued
Habana Cuba Restaurant has enchanted locals and visitors with generous portions of authentic, original cuisine. Fine Dining at its best
Habana Cuba Restaurant has enchanted locals and visitors with generous portions of authentic, original cuisine. Fine Dining at its best
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Habana Cuba - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Habana Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (21)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (7)special occasion (7)romantic (6)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2014great service - everyone friendly and attentive. unique food. Found this place by accident, and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban FoodbusybeaverDined on 11/8/2014Many authentic Cuban dishes. Offered several COMBOS to let you sample a variety of items. Sorry I didn't have time for dessert! I'll be back!Special Features:
- Overall good experiencebayareafoodieDined on 11/4/2014I've enjoyed my visits to the restaurant. The only thing that is lacking is that the servers sometimes forget when you make requests for things. Food generally is very good though so I'll be back.Special Features:
- MenuJTGATORDined on 10/25/2014Excellent menu choices for real cuban taste. We really enjoyed our dinner and also we have had lunch there before and enjoyed it as well. One of our favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared but blandVetSquaredDined on 10/25/2014I've only been to 3-4 other Cuban restaurants. My wife is Hispanic and has eaten at numerous different Hispanic-type restaurants in SF, NY and many others so she's much more informed than I am on "authentic" tastes. We both found the food to be technically prepared very well (shrimp and pork dishes) BUT everything was lacking in flavor. We want big flavorful experiences, not "pass the salt" and fond memories of the dive Cuban joint in Vegas. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Atmosphere was clean and quiet on a weekend night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experiencePeachyDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. I recommend ordering the yucca frita for an appetizer. As for the entree, vaca frita was cooked to perfection and had my taste buds wanting more. The only complaint is that they don't serve beans with their meal. Beans and rice should be a staple addition to any Cuban dish. I had to order beans as a side dish. The mango custard was a delicious dessert. I will be coming back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceimvwgDined on 10/21/2014Another excellent experience at Habana Cuba. Took advantage of the Restaurant Week Pre - Fix menu. For $25 ea. we ea. got an appetizer, an entree, a dessert, and a glass of sangria. It was an amazing amount of food and delicious! Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our server was named Alex and was wonderfully attentive. He made some recommendations and kept checking as to how we were doing. The food was outstanding as usual. All in all it was a good evening out!Special Features:
- Great local find!barleypantsDined on 10/11/2014Food was tasty, had some great Chilean wine, service was terrific. We will definitely be back to try more.Special Features:
- No longer the best for Cuban FoodRicardoDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant has changed dramatically since it first opened. The flair of being in an ethnic restaurant is no longer there. The decor is drab and really not welcoming. The food is no longer "to die for" it's become somewhat ordinary. Prices were very good. The drinks seemed as there was no alcohol included - watery and flat. The staff/service saved the evening. Wait staff was very attentive thruout - anticipated your needs for water, etc. kept the table clear of used dishes. The outstanding and excellent service by Analee, out server for the evening, saved the evening from going totally down hill. She was very professional but more importantly - very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanoreVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was our first time at Habana Cuba. Friendly, nice atmosphere and our waitress was great. We both ordered traditional plates. The food may be marvelous for Cubans but not for us. This may be our loss but I doubt if we will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcelenteCaliBardDined on 9/14/2014Service super-friendly and quick. Portions are huge and the Lechón is always tasty. Great value - a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very well doneRTJuiceDined on 9/13/2014Great service. Classic dishes. Very well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Ethnic ExperienceeshankelDined on 9/4/2014I scheduled a work team dinner here with 10 people. As soon as I arrived I was hooked. I explained it was our 1st time, and our waitress went into Overdrive. She spent time with everyone, answering any question, making fantastic suggestions and overall helped to make the event a real success. The music was festive with latin/mamba rifts floating through the restaurant. the food was amazing, the Raja Mojitos we're amazingly fresh, the deserts were delicious and the staff made a huge effort to ensure we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamilyChefDollyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Delicious food made with love, service that is kind and attentive. Flavors and sounds to delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great serviceCaliBardDined on 8/24/2014This neighborhood gem never disappoints. Tucked in a nondescript street, Habana Cuba delivers tasty authentic cuisine and wonderfully friendly service. Our party of 2 was served promptly. The mojitos were generous. The lechon dish, served with beans, rice, fried plantains, was well prepared, filling, and yummy. Good value for the $ too. This restaurant is the perfect addition to your casual dining go-to list.Special Features:
- Great servicePattiecakesDined on 8/24/2014As always, the food was incredible and the service was remarkable. All of the employees are very inviting and attentive to your dinning needs. Make sure you enjoy a glass of sangria... It's outstanding!Special Features:
- Horrible experience and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Overpriced. Paella is mushy and tasteless. Meat very dried out. And they asked us to give up our table of four for other waiting diners. We had only been there for 1.5 hours celebrating a friend's engagement. Shameful!
- The following 323 reviews are from the Habana Cuba reviews archive.
- enjoyablelefty11Dined on 7/26/2014the fish entries listed on the menu....were not available..... dissapointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine mealKeithBDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I along with another couple had another great meal at Habana Cuba. This time we all had the Paella A La Habana (seafood) along with some appetizers and sangria. We've really come to enjoy Cuban food which was excellent. Great tasking and more than generous portions. The leftovers made for a great lunch the next day. The service was good. Our only complaint is that it was quite a warm evening and the restaurant's air conditioning couldn't keep up. It wasn't too painful but our dinner would have been more enjoyable if the room had been cooler.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Lovely place to bring all our out of town guest! For me the best food around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeGareDined on 7/2/2014Great food, quick service, great waiter. Will go again when in San Jose.Special Features:
- A new favorite spot!!redchampDined on 7/1/2014Love the food, love the service, and the restaurant itself is a great place! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like the Old Havana SceneRogerDDined on 6/28/2014Coming during FIFA World Cup time added to the excitement and the feel of this old favorite of ours. Tables are nicely laid out, not too close, and the food is kind of Cuban you'd expect at Versailles in Miami, excellent and well prepared. Like a trip to Old Havana, full of the scents and sights of a beautiful Caribbean restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Place for Cuban Food!SFeatsDined on 6/28/2014I have eaten at Habana Cuba three times in the last 2 months (with a friend, then with a mom's-who-lunch group, and most recently with 2 other couples who get together monthly to try a new restaurant) and the food, service and atmosphere have been consistently great. My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is that they had run out of their guava dessert the last time we were there. This last time we made an afternoon of it, starting with a walk around the SJ Municipal Rose Garden and the Rose Garden neighborhood. Our party came from Cupertino and Los Altos, and the trip was definitely worth it! We plan to take other friends there soon.Special Features:
- Cuban Fare in the Neighborhood!LoveKahanaDined on 6/27/2014Dined at Habana Cuba for the first time to celebrate a good friends birthday, and couldn't believe this little gem, was right here in San Jose! Our Server was so pleasant and answered all our questions! The food was incredible! If you're looking for a little bit of Cuba's cuisine, go to Habana Cuba for a taste of love! :)Special Features:
- not what was expectedive84Dined on 6/26/2014Nice place. But i had the paella seafood. And it had no flavor. 1 spoon full piece of lobster and the rice was really watery. But that was my plate. And the mojito drinks were not good either. I probly wont go back. Nice service though
- A Little Cuba in Townluv2dineVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is traditional Cuban food…no frills or flare, just good tasting food. We've been here a lot…it's our favorite Cuban restaurant in the area. Everything we've ever had has been very tasty…whether it's an appetizer, a traditional Cuban Sandwich, pork, chicken or beef dish. The portions are ample and it's all easy to share if you want to try more than one dish. The mojito is also pretty good and so are the beer choices. Not sure about the wine list.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service!TmoxieDined on 6/22/2014The food was excellent, get the Ceviche!! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Dining pleasureOneTeeDined on 6/15/2014We celibrated Father's Day and a birthday at Habana Cuba. Our party includes a 1 month old baby , that thankfully slept. Our serving team provides a 'basket' to put our baby carrier in, instead of on a chair or the floor. Several servers assisted in requests during the dinner and were always polite and efficient. The appetitizers (sp) and meal portions were enough to fill everyone. The pork dishes were tender and flavorful. If you go during World Cup Soccer, expect some cheering when a goal is scored but otherwise, the noise level and ambiance it great. Did I mention the drink selection?Special Features:
- Great daymmjjbdDined on 6/14/2014We had a large group of 12 and they accommodated us wonderfully. Had great Cubano sandwiches and sangria family had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseSFAEVIPDined on 6/12/2014We were in the area, avoiding the traffic of the drive home. This is a lovely place, with great service and good food. It was fun to try something new. Be careful not to "over order" the portions are huge. We took at least half of our food home. Nice wine by the glass. An affordable and fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and TrueFoodieCouple510Dined on 6/1/2014Everytime we don't know where to dine out, we say, "Habana?" and we can always agree and have a great place to visit. Just don't forget to make your reservations. Sometimes they tend to run out of the tres leches cake...but usually by desert time, we're stuffed!Special Features:
- Consistently FantasticCaliBardDined on 5/17/2014Habana Cuba is one of my "go-to" restaurants because it always delivers courteous service and terrific food. It's a true neighborhood gem. The staff is attentive and friendly. Menu choices are Cuban favorites and the preparation traditional. I started with the fresh and zesty Ensalada Tropical–the house balsamic vingarette gives it a great punch. Next I opted for the traditional and hearty Lechon a la Cobana. It's slow roasted pork marinated in citrus and herbs, served with rice, black beans and delicious fried plantains. More than enough for one person, the meat was perfectly prepared and the beans were slightly-salty-good. I'll go back again for sure.Special Features:
- Great Caribbean joint!thebilouDined on 5/11/2014There are not that many Caribbean restaurants in the bay area, and I am glad I found this one. Authentic Caribbean food, great cocktails, and very-friendly waiting staff. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014very nice place. I enjoyed it. Very much. I'll most likely come back again.Special Features:
- Have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2011Have been to this restaurant many times over the years and this Is the first time we were not crazy about our meal. Everything was just mediocre. Portions were adequate and the service was very good. Maybe it was just an off night.
- Boyfriend and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2011Boyfriend and I have been going to Habana Cuba for a few years now. We've never had a bad experience. I'm in love with their Paella a la Habana and he always gets the Vaca Frita. Can't go wrong with their Sangria either.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2011The food was excellent and I would definitely come back here again. I'm just sad to read that you will no longer be able to make reservations via OpenTable after October 1st...however, just call them and make reservations! A definite must try!!Special Features:
- We truly enjoy Habana CubaJudeDined on 9/9/2011We truly enjoy Habana Cuba and heartily recommend placing it on your "must dine" list! This time, we had the Sangria (yum!) with our Tapas (the cuban sampler: MASITAS, YUCA FRITA,TOSTONES, PAPAS RELLENAS AND CROQUETAS!) and the Vaca Frita was an excellent choice (superYUM!!). We were seated immediately and our servers were very attentive! We'll be back (of course!!).Special Features: