238 Race Street
San Jose, CA 95126Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.998cuba.com/
- Phone: 4089982822x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch- Tuesday - Friday 11 - 2pm
Dinner- Tuesday - Sunday 5 - PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Cuban, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Echeverri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Habana Cuba has a catering menu available with a delivery minimum (the catering is not full service).
- Private Party Facilities: For that special occasion, Habana Cuba is the place to be. Our service, food, and ambiance are the perfect receipt for any memorable event. Our restaurant can accommodate up to 70 guests for sit-down dining and up to 100 guests for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres only.
- Private Party Contact: Jennier 4089982822x
A word from Habana Cuba
Located off of The Alameda downtown San Jose, Habana Cuba's family tradition continues to provide hearty comfort food paired with wonderful Spanish wines. Ranked in the top 50 Spanish Restaurants in the US.Continued
Habana Cuba Restaurant has enchanted locals and visitors with generous portions of authentic, original cuisine. Fine Dining at its best
Habana Cuba Restaurant has enchanted locals and visitors with generous portions of authentic, original cuisine. Fine Dining at its best
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Habana Cuba - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Habana Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (17)kid-friendly (15)special occasion (13)good for groups (13)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (8)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent food, great serviceCaliBardDined on 8/24/2014This neighborhood gem never disappoints. Tucked in a nondescript street, Habana Cuba delivers tasty authentic cuisine and wonderfully friendly service. Our party of 2 was served promptly. The mojitos were generous. The lechon dish, served with beans, rice, fried plantains, was well prepared, filling, and yummy. Good value for the $ too. This restaurant is the perfect addition to your casual dining go-to list.Special Features:
- Great servicePattiecakesDined on 8/24/2014As always, the food was incredible and the service was remarkable. All of the employees are very inviting and attentive to your dinning needs. Make sure you enjoy a glass of sangria... It's outstanding!Special Features:
- Horrible experience and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Overpriced. Paella is mushy and tasteless. Meat very dried out. And they asked us to give up our table of four for other waiting diners. We had only been there for 1.5 hours celebrating a friend's engagement. Shameful!
- enjoyablelefty11Dined on 7/26/2014the fish entries listed on the menu....were not available..... dissapointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine mealKeithBDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I along with another couple had another great meal at Habana Cuba. This time we all had the Paella A La Habana (seafood) along with some appetizers and sangria. We've really come to enjoy Cuban food which was excellent. Great tasking and more than generous portions. The leftovers made for a great lunch the next day. The service was good. Our only complaint is that it was quite a warm evening and the restaurant's air conditioning couldn't keep up. It wasn't too painful but our dinner would have been more enjoyable if the room had been cooler.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Lovely place to bring all our out of town guest! For me the best food around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeGareDined on 7/2/2014Great food, quick service, great waiter. Will go again when in San Jose.Special Features:
- A new favorite spot!!redchampDined on 7/1/2014Love the food, love the service, and the restaurant itself is a great place! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like the Old Havana SceneRogerDDined on 6/28/2014Coming during FIFA World Cup time added to the excitement and the feel of this old favorite of ours. Tables are nicely laid out, not too close, and the food is kind of Cuban you'd expect at Versailles in Miami, excellent and well prepared. Like a trip to Old Havana, full of the scents and sights of a beautiful Caribbean restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Place for Cuban Food!SFeatsDined on 6/28/2014I have eaten at Habana Cuba three times in the last 2 months (with a friend, then with a mom's-who-lunch group, and most recently with 2 other couples who get together monthly to try a new restaurant) and the food, service and atmosphere have been consistently great. My only complaint, and it's a very small one, is that they had run out of their guava dessert the last time we were there. This last time we made an afternoon of it, starting with a walk around the SJ Municipal Rose Garden and the Rose Garden neighborhood. Our party came from Cupertino and Los Altos, and the trip was definitely worth it! We plan to take other friends there soon.Special Features:
- Cuban Fare in the Neighborhood!LoveKahanaDined on 6/27/2014Dined at Habana Cuba for the first time to celebrate a good friends birthday, and couldn't believe this little gem, was right here in San Jose! Our Server was so pleasant and answered all our questions! The food was incredible! If you're looking for a little bit of Cuba's cuisine, go to Habana Cuba for a taste of love! :)Special Features:
- not what was expectedive84Dined on 6/26/2014Nice place. But i had the paella seafood. And it had no flavor. 1 spoon full piece of lobster and the rice was really watery. But that was my plate. And the mojito drinks were not good either. I probly wont go back. Nice service though
- A Little Cuba in Townluv2dineVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is traditional Cuban food…no frills or flare, just good tasting food. We've been here a lot…it's our favorite Cuban restaurant in the area. Everything we've ever had has been very tasty…whether it's an appetizer, a traditional Cuban Sandwich, pork, chicken or beef dish. The portions are ample and it's all easy to share if you want to try more than one dish. The mojito is also pretty good and so are the beer choices. Not sure about the wine list.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service!TmoxieDined on 6/22/2014The food was excellent, get the Ceviche!! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Dining pleasureOneTeeDined on 6/15/2014We celibrated Father's Day and a birthday at Habana Cuba. Our party includes a 1 month old baby , that thankfully slept. Our serving team provides a 'basket' to put our baby carrier in, instead of on a chair or the floor. Several servers assisted in requests during the dinner and were always polite and efficient. The appetitizers (sp) and meal portions were enough to fill everyone. The pork dishes were tender and flavorful. If you go during World Cup Soccer, expect some cheering when a goal is scored but otherwise, the noise level and ambiance it great. Did I mention the drink selection?Special Features:
- Great daymmjjbdDined on 6/14/2014We had a large group of 12 and they accommodated us wonderfully. Had great Cubano sandwiches and sangria family had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseSFAEVIPDined on 6/12/2014We were in the area, avoiding the traffic of the drive home. This is a lovely place, with great service and good food. It was fun to try something new. Be careful not to "over order" the portions are huge. We took at least half of our food home. Nice wine by the glass. An affordable and fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and TrueFoodieCouple510Dined on 6/1/2014Everytime we don't know where to dine out, we say, "Habana?" and we can always agree and have a great place to visit. Just don't forget to make your reservations. Sometimes they tend to run out of the tres leches cake...but usually by desert time, we're stuffed!Special Features:
- Consistently FantasticCaliBardDined on 5/17/2014Habana Cuba is one of my "go-to" restaurants because it always delivers courteous service and terrific food. It's a true neighborhood gem. The staff is attentive and friendly. Menu choices are Cuban favorites and the preparation traditional. I started with the fresh and zesty Ensalada Tropical–the house balsamic vingarette gives it a great punch. Next I opted for the traditional and hearty Lechon a la Cobana. It's slow roasted pork marinated in citrus and herbs, served with rice, black beans and delicious fried plantains. More than enough for one person, the meat was perfectly prepared and the beans were slightly-salty-good. I'll go back again for sure.Special Features:
- Great Caribbean joint!thebilouDined on 5/11/2014There are not that many Caribbean restaurants in the bay area, and I am glad I found this one. Authentic Caribbean food, great cocktails, and very-friendly waiting staff. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014very nice place. I enjoyed it. Very much. I'll most likely come back again.Special Features:
- The following 305 reviews are from the Habana Cuba reviews archive.
- Have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2011Have been to this restaurant many times over the years and this Is the first time we were not crazy about our meal. Everything was just mediocre. Portions were adequate and the service was very good. Maybe it was just an off night.
- Boyfriend and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2011Boyfriend and I have been going to Habana Cuba for a few years now. We've never had a bad experience. I'm in love with their Paella a la Habana and he always gets the Vaca Frita. Can't go wrong with their Sangria either.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2011The food was excellent and I would definitely come back here again. I'm just sad to read that you will no longer be able to make reservations via OpenTable after October 1st...however, just call them and make reservations! A definite must try!!Special Features:
- We truly enjoy Habana CubaJudeDined on 9/9/2011We truly enjoy Habana Cuba and heartily recommend placing it on your "must dine" list! This time, we had the Sangria (yum!) with our Tapas (the cuban sampler: MASITAS, YUCA FRITA,TOSTONES, PAPAS RELLENAS AND CROQUETAS!) and the Vaca Frita was an excellent choice (superYUM!!). We were seated immediately and our servers were very attentive! We'll be back (of course!!).Special Features:
- if it's just the two of you,OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/4/2011if it's just the two of you, the surtido is a great entree. it comes with soup (chicken noodle with corn on the cob) or salad plus sweet plaintains (yummy!), white rice & black beans. surtido is a sampler of chicken with onions, amazing pork & beef with green olives & potatoes. although it's meant for two, the bf & i always leave enough leftovers for a sizeable third meal. they carry a large selection of non-alcoholic beverages, especially regional sodas & fresh fruit juices. i'm usually too full for dessert, & they've added several items. with tip & a soda, the bill was left than $50. when you consider that you can spend the same amount at the counter for burgers, i'd much rather eat at habana cuba.Special Features:
- Great food and nice changeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2011Great food and nice change of pace from the usual Italian, Thai, Chinese places.
- My husband and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2011My husband and I have been to Havana Cuba several times already and each time we enjoyed our dining experience. This time we were celebrating my sister's birthday and the waiter even brought out a special birthday cake for her. The tres leches cake was really good. The best that I've tasted. The service at Havana Cuba is always excellent and not to forget to mention that the food is really tasty.Special Features:
- Very good seafood entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011Very good seafood entrees and sangrias. The turkey croquettes and the Tres Leches were yummy. However, the cocktails could have been better.Special Features:
- I took some out of town familyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2011I took some out of town family members & all enjoyed food & ambiance there...will go back...recommend to others!Special Features:
- Great food every time! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/10/2011Great food every time! Service is always outstanding too.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2011Excellent food and service - try the Lechon ala Cubana.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2011Really enjoyed the appetizers and the drinks. One of the few places where the Mojito tasted good. And the fried yucca and sweet plantain fritters were delicious. Will go back for their drinks and starters. Main course, tried the seafood paella. It was decent, but not one of our favs.Special Features:
- I have always enjoyed Habana'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2011I have always enjoyed Habana's but since they got a new chef a yr or two ago there food is heaven and a special spot I like to take friends from out of town.Special Features:
- Dissapointing PlantainesMorganHillbilleDined on 8/5/2011Always good for a Cuban food fix; however, the plantaines were very disappointing. They were not sweet and kind of hard.
- Authentic Cuban home-cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2011Always a pleasure to have a quiet dinner at this Cuban based restaurant. Waiter remembered us and was quick to accommodate our needs. Not a huge menu offering- 5 or 6 each of beef, pork, seafood and chicken entrees, but all authentic presentations with black beans, rice, plantains. Salads and soups are tasty and fresh.Special Features:
- A very good cuban menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/30/2011A very good cuban menu with great flavors. Service is good!Special Features:
- A Bite of Cubana in San Jose!ElvesOfACertainAgeDined on 7/23/2011We're so glad to have such a wonderful Cuban hot spot nearby. The food is always incredible and the service is magnificent. Our group had traditional Cuban roasted pork, oxtail, and a fried beef dish with garlic and onions. We started with plantain chips. It was all fantastic. The portions are incredibly hearty, so it's easy to share. We'll definitely be back again with more friends!Special Features:
- Always a goodly amount ofHawkeyeDined on 7/23/2011Always a goodly amount of quality food for a reasonable price. The pork, chicken and black beans and plantains are especially tasty. Salads are so-so. Service is adequate, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- We attended, but they markedMariadawnpVIPDined on 7/16/2011We attended, but they marked my opentable account as not attending. Frustrating.