Gyu-Kaku - White Plains
169 Main Street
White Plains, NY 10601Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - White Plains
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 9143585206
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: You are the Chef!!
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two Private Dining Rooms with Partial opens. One private Japanese stly party room can fit up to 15 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 9143585206
A word from Gyu-Kaku - White Plains
Gyu-Kaku White Plains is all about fun and food. You are your own chef, cooking tasty morsels perfectly to your liking, right there at your table. It is an ideal way to share a meal with family and friends. Gyu-Kaku has a variety of original sauces which it uses as marinades and provides for basting of its select meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables. Grilled by the customer over a glowing charcoal brazier, each item becomes a unique and delectable taste experience. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Gyu-Kaku - White Plains - Best Restaurants in White Plains ›
Gyu-Kaku - White Plains reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (26)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (17)fit for foodies (13)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014everything was awesome. i went there on a date. we had the shrimp, basil chicken, spicy prok, fried shrimp rolls. bacon chips and salmon. Everything was delish. You cook the food yourself on a grill thats built in the table. No complaints at all....MUST TRY!! ill be going back again and againSpecial Features:
- Nice for a change from the norm!RUKDNMEDined on 9/4/2014Went here to mix it up a little bit. The room is a little utilitarian, but the food is fresh, delicious and plentiful. Our sever, Cynthia could not have been more accommodating or gracious. Will definitely return!
- outstanding, keeps getting better!happytummyVIPDined on 9/2/2014had a great late lunch. they have happy hour everyday until 6:30 (monday is all day) great prices on food and drinks. the tuna volcano crunch was amazing, and the meats were fresh and affordable. service improved much from previous visits. servers were efficient and everyone, including the manager are always willing to help. everyone is so friendly. great place. tip, they're getting busier now (there were few tables at 3:30pm on a tuesday) so i imagine reservations are recommended on peak hours...Special Features:
- the taste was Japanese !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014I've been here for a long time,and the foods were difficult for me to get used to and me and my friends wanted to eat Japanese food so we looked for yakiniku and found about your restaurant(Gyu-kaki). We were looking at the internet and we decided to go the white plains restaurant. Because it's quite cheap than the other restaurant which they are in manhattan was much more expensive,we finally determined to eat at your restaurant.When we ate the meat,rice,snack,...we were eating without saying.that means it was really good!you must go there if you love Japanese foods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of my favesNinzDined on 8/29/2014I've gone here a few times now and I still love the food. I usually do the course, and there is more food than you can eat. It's lots of fun to cook your own food on the table and finish it off with some smores.Special Features:
- Fun and different!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014It was a lot of fun cooking right there at the table ourselves and made it more an activity that keeps the energy up. its great for switching up from the usual type dinner outing. great service and friendly for first timers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for my first time, EXCELLENT!!!##OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent costumer service. Great food, lovely experience. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday and have planned a family get together a week later. The food, the service and price is something we were not expecting but truly welcomed. The staff was amazing, catered to every single need without a huff or puff. The endless food was enough to feed an army, we did it though! The cuts of meat, the seasoning and amount were spectacular. We are so happy to have found such an awesome place and even though we cooked our own food, we didn't feel like it was a chore. Totes recommend this place!!!!Special Features:
- cost effectivemaanosukeDined on 8/17/2014% of us really enjoyed a lunch menu with very reasonable price, thank you very much.Special Features:
- Japanese BBQmaanosukeDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed Japanese style BBQ. Food is very delicious and price is very reasonableSpecial Features:
- great!happytummyVIPDined on 7/27/2014great food comfortable ambiance friendly and efficient service. they've improved so much over the last year and lowered the prices . this will definitely be the new 'it' spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad experienceLocaleaterDined on 7/25/2014This was my second time at this restaurant and my previous experience during lunch with coworkers was good. This time I brought my wife for dinner. The hostess sat us at probably the worst table in the restaurant. There are 3 tables set inside what looks like a concrete storage area and we were set all the way in the back of this annex, next to the fire exit. Before our dinner was served we asked if it was possible to change tables. We were given a bit of an attitude about our request and we were told it was our fault for not asking soon enough. The situation was not handled well. Made us feel like we were being unreasonable and not welcome.Special Features:
- Great place for Tweens and OlderFoodieDined on 7/21/2014Took my grandchildren here for their birthdays. They love cooking their own food, which is very tasty. Also had a great time making smores for dessert. Plenty of variety to choose from, so something for everyone. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- I like itOut2eat11Dined on 7/18/2014It was a very decent dinner, you grill your own food, for 2+ people you may need to order more meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourJanetVIPDined on 7/17/2014We got a lot of bang for the buck, Filet mignon for under $9 ? Who knew ?Special Features:
- Great spot in the neighborhoodUacladyDined on 7/15/2014This is one of my new favorite places in White Plains. It's healthy and a great place to chat. They have great specials and deals that make it easy to try out for less if your not sure but willing to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencehappytummyVIPDined on 7/4/2014Affordable food, attentive service. Delicious. Their lunch deal is hard to beat. Starts at $5.95 and you have soup, salad, rice and meat! Appetizers are great too. I loved the tuna volcano crunch and Pork Belly Chips. Sukiyaki Bibimbap rice bowl is not only a steal, but absolutely tasty and filling. Service is great. Staff are very friendly. Everyone, even managers are very helpful. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Fun and enjoyableEatgr8VIPDined on 7/3/2014Service staff was so personable and the manager makes personal outreach to customers. All staff are knowledgeable about their offerings and were helpful with allergy concerns. Good suggestions were given for what to order and how much to order. The food was tasty and well prepared for cooking with accurate cooking instructions given. A fun and enjoyable place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotMythoughtsDined on 6/29/2014This was my first time here, and I must say I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, fun, frolicretireeVIPDined on 6/22/2014We had three beers, two wines and eight dishes for $80 including tax and tip. Loved the addicting cabbage, shrimp, calamari, pork. It reminds me of attending a street fair with so many wonderful little plates.Special Features:
- Father's Day dinnerYumYumDined on 6/15/2014Best waitress served us on Father's Day dinner at Gyukaku White Plains! Courteous, yet very friendly and attentative, with great big smile. Maitredee was also very professional. It was our best experience yet since the restaurant opened. Manager was also busy assisting busy tables. She's one of the best Gyukaku Manager in NY. Better than Manhattan! For someone who knows about Japanese "Yakiniku" and "Gyukaku" in Japan, this place has made lots of service improvements since its opening. I am happy to see the place busy and doing well, continuing to improve. Great job by both Manager and Staff at Gyu-kaku White Plains!!Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The service was great the food was real good the drinks were also I'd recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun interactive experienceStaticlinesDined on 5/29/2014The best part about this is that you get to grill your own meat over a smokeless grill. I went on a first date here and grilling our own food for each other made it very romantic and kept me out of my phone. Also we made s'mores for dessert which was awesome. The waiter did seem like he was new and came around a little too often but he was very courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and WarmMyraAOVIPDined on 5/26/2014This was my first time at Gyu-Kaku. The food was quite good. My only complaint is that the air conditioning wasn't strong enough. It was a very warm day and sitting in a booth with a warm bbq. We were there for lunch. Mine came with soup. I was too hot to eat it. Might be great for a winter day. I will go back.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - White Plains reviews archive.
- Nice food!!! Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Food is really good. You will enjoy a real Japanese BBQ here. But the server seems do not like to serve us, no fill the water when we drink up. Wrong food serving. No smile......Special Features:
- A Nice Surprisebelle0305Dined on 5/24/2014I had my reservations about going to Gyu Kaku because initially I thought it would be mostly raw foods. However, my husband was excited to try this spot so I obliged. The experience was so much fun, tasty, and decently priced. It was so much fun cooking our meats at our table. The chefs prepared everything and all you do is grill your meats and veggies. I know some folks might say that they don't want to pay to cook their own food, but it's definitely worth experiencing. Btw, the drinks aren't included in the course packages, but they only run from $5-$8 during happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad servicesunnydaysDined on 5/17/2014I've been to Gyu Kaku in Times Square & Midtown so I was expecting nothing less than excellent quality. We went on a weekday in the afternoon and there was no wait. Food was good. Waiter was a bit slow and we were given a dirty table spoon. Completely disgusting. Did they forget to wash it? The dirty spoon really ruined how we felt about cleanliness of the restaurant. Probably won't return to this location ever againSpecial Features:
- Amazing!Ninna19Dined on 4/14/2014Amazing food! Amazing people! It's the kind of place that you leave feeling full and happy. It's a great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightMsmaeDined on 4/7/2014Everything about my time at this location was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULhappytummyVIPDined on 3/25/2014Had a great time! Awesome service! Delicious food!Special Features:
- Great as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/16/2014We have been in all NY locations so far. What can I say, food is amazing as usual, however, the setvice was outstanding. Definately best out of all. Great time with my family, felt really special. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday party with lots of funOxanaDined on 3/11/2014Very interesting place, very good food. It was fun for everybody to cook their own meat.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2014My fiancé took me to the one in manhattan for my bday. I loved it and had a great time. I was excited to see one open locally. I brought my parents with us. We were very disappointed. The service was terrible. Was way too noisy. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- great food, very affordable and funhappytummyVIPDined on 3/7/2014seems like they lowered the prices from my last visit... all time favorites Harami skirt steak and Kalbi short rib are both a dollar less and so are most other items on the menu. Totally enjoyed the small plates concept. Ordered 5 meats, 3 veggies, 2 apps, a rice dish for 2 people and spent less than $50 on happy hour. $5 cocktails and $3 beer was unforgettable too. Still can't figure out the Japanese greetings but sure do love the energy of the place. Helpful service - everyone helps each other out so it's not difficult to get their attentionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTheBronxDined on 2/20/2014This was my first time at Gyu Kaku, and I must say it was great. My server Steven was the best. He clearly explained everything to me and my friend. He made great food and drink recommendations. The food was great, drinks were great, service was great, overall experience was great. I will definitely be back. I want to personally thank Steven my server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for family. ClassierSurfermomVIPDined on 1/20/2014Fun place for family. Classier habatchi but mon has to cook herself. Awesome happy hour deals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No point addedKorokoroVIPDined on 1/20/2014We booked this restaurant only because they join Opentable point system . No 100-point added,though,even after a week passed. Never come back.
- Service was terrible. OrdersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Service was terrible. Orders came late, when you ask them for something, waiters comes after 10 mins. When we ordered our desserts, one of the managers told us that he will give us the check and that they needed the table because the place is getting pack, mind you we have not even received our desserts yet.Special Features:
- Your choices don't reallylilrhodieDined on 1/18/2014Your choices don't really let someone say it is too noisy for conversation...it got pretty noisy!Special Features:
- DInner for FiveLLum83VIPDined on 1/11/2014Came back to Gyu-Kaku for dinner. there were 5 of us and we ordered the 6 people set meal. We thought it strange, when the vegetable plates came that there were 4 of everything (4 pieces of corn, 4 pieces of mushroom, 4 pieces of bell pepper) The manager Ivan was very helpful and explained that Gyu-Kaku is mainly a "meat" eating establishment. Although that may be true, i would suggest that when a 6 people set is ordered everyone should be able to have a least 1 piece, therefore having 6 pieces or something. The manager brought 4 more pieces of corn for us, which was a nice gesture. Our bill came to almost $220 without tip but thought it was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.