Gyu-Kaku - Tustin
14181 Newport Ave Suite #237
Tustin, CA 90501Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Tustin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 7147311719x
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11am–4pm (last call)
Mon–Thu 4pm–10:30pm (last call)
Fri & Sat 4pm–11:30pm (last call)
Sun 4pm–9:30pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Tustin
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of 'shared plates,' inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can't help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gyu-Kaku - Tustin reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fun to grill your own.HelloHowAreYouDined on 8/1/2014Service was great. But it took little awhile to get the meat after salad and miso soup. I had a lunch special combo. Taste was okay. I don't remember the name of the meat, but the second one was little salty for me. I didn't like the taste personally, but I think it is fun to grill your own. I think it's great place to go with your close friends and family, because the grill is shared. Personally, I prefer K-bbq places with all-you-can-eat, because you can choose your own meat and eat as much as you want.Special Features:
- love the conceptDASfoodieDined on 7/9/2014food was very good. service was terrible. way too many shift changes in the 1.5 hrs we were there.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spots!TerriPotterDined on 6/5/2014My friends and I LOVE happy hour! Great prices and fun atmosphere! Just make a reservation because it gets busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Tustin reviews archive.
- Delicious!asianfoodieatheartDined on 5/11/2014My family of four had Mother's Day lunch at this location, and everything was spot on! Meats were flavorful and tender. Service was attentive and quick to respond to our requests. Atmosphere wasn't crowded (our reservations were for 11:30a)...everything was fantastic!! Our 6-year-old daughter enjoyed helping with the cooking. She enjoyed all the meats (she's usually very picky, but she liked the taste of it all). The garlic noodles were awesome. We'll definitely be return customers and recominding to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, but...djson1Dined on 2/28/2014Not recommended unless you like waiting 45+ minutes (EVEN with a reservation) and taking your chances on parking. There is only a tiny lot on their property and you have to basically navigate the neighborhood for available street parking...if there is any. They need to work our agreements with the local lots that are not in use after business hours, otherwise, it's a no-go for me.Special Features:
- Meat was hard & dry, placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014Meat was hard & dry, place are not clean, very disappoint !
- It took 45 mins with a reservationkmei29Dined on 1/18/2014It took 45 mins with a reservation for a table; no apology from the staff. The whole night felt rushed from the time we order til our bill came. I had to ask 3x to get a spoon. How ridiculous is that. My plates were taken away even when I wasn't done eating. Unprofessional, poor customer service and inattentive staff. The manager was rude, rushed us to pay when were still finishing our drinks. She rudely asked us to pay so that she could seat another party. Definitely would not recommend this place even if they do have good happy hours. Will take my business to Honda ya!
- Great Service!RestaurantCriticVIPDined on 12/31/2013This restaurant is one of a kind, because you get the chance to broil your own food in the way and pace you want it.Portions are small but quality of meats and service is amazing.Tried the Butter Fish too per Sheri's review, but did not like it much (Probably I should have cooked it more). This restaurant has very energetic atmosphere and it was packed when we got there, but good thing is you get your own booth. Will go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing after changing menuSheriVIPDined on 12/10/2013This used to be one of my favorite restaurant until my last visit. They dropped the "choose A, B C" menu and now has a fixed menu for two and the lame thing is, it's for two but they only give out one bowl of rice? Dropped a lot of the happy hour items, and my favorite butter fish is served frozen with no peppers and takes longer to cook!! Booooo! Change it back!
- Service with a smileDanielDined on 11/25/2013Every person working at the Tustin store is friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good VibeSullyfishVIPDined on 11/9/2013Gyu-Kaku has become one of our favorite hangouts since discovering it last year in Huntington Beach. Tustin location has a cooler atmosphere as far as the decor and set up. The service is always good here. The quality of meats has been better. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and good foodKiwi77Dined on 11/2/2013I have eaten here for lunch and a date and had fun both times. If in a group and drinking you will need to appoint a designated chef so you don't overcook the food. The staff is very helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MissAudreyVIPDined on 11/1/2013Love this place Don't bring your fur coat! T.T You will smell like the food afterwards.Special Features:
- Good placecybelineDined on 11/1/2013Good restaurant, lots of food, exactly what they advertise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality matched by customer sedga1077Dined on 10/22/2013Couldn't be happier with my experience. This is the 3rd time going there for dinner and I hope to take other friends to have them experience it for their 1st time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gyu Kaku is an amazing experience.MattyFoxDined on 10/11/2013Gyu Kaku is an amazing experience. It's a social dining gem!!! There is nothing better than sitting around a grill with your friends and family, and cooking your food. You can prepare it exactly as you like, and so many different choices. I highly recommend Gyu Kaku!!Special Features:
- perfectjssancheDined on 10/8/2013Great food and great service. Don't need anything elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATMatzgerDined on 9/5/2013Can't go wrong with this place! We love it! Be sure to have a reservation on the weekend or Friday night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013Dinner with a group of friends was pleasant. If you dont know the type of meats on the menu it will take you a few times until you order meats that you will enjoy. We ordered about 5 different meats each so that ended up working out. You get what you pay for at this place, so i'd suggest to order enough. Noodles are great!Special Features:
- A very sad disappointmentksb48VIPDined on 8/23/2013We arrived for a 9:15 reservation and we were told it would be about 15 mins...sure that's understandable for a Fri nite (no problem). We were not seated until 10:20, apparently we were told they overbook their reservations on purpose and there's a sign posted that if you are more than 5 min late they will cancel you. So I guess that means their time is far more valuable than mine (nice way to treat a customer). We were offered a drink (not free) for waiting in the lobby for an hour. Once seated the staff was friendly but the food was just ok. The garlic noodles were so overcooked and mushy/dry, fish was bland. When we were seated it was happy hour so our bill was less...but even at that we paid $100 for 2 of us. We will not return.
- Excellent food and serviceLauraVIPDined on 4/23/2013The food is always fresh and the priced are reasonable. The servers are always perfect. I'll be here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSullyfishVIPDined on 4/15/2013Have been frequenting Gyu-Kaku for quite awhile now, and this was the first time at the Tustin location. Service was excellent. Food was good. Quantities still small for the price your paying, however, the happy hour prices are a little better than the Huntington Beach location. They even have a $2 late night happy hour. Will be back to this location not just for the food and ambiance, but for the excellent service as well.Special Features:
- Got more than what I paid for.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/9/2013My first visit was great. This is so true me and my wife eat really good. The bill came out to 90 dollars. I then gave them my email for eating on Tuesday and sign up on their mailing list gives you a discount for 2, 3, 4, menu. So from 90 dollars it went down now to 50.88. Then I check in on yelp and it paid for one of the plates. So now the check was 45.88 then I like them on Facebook and another free plate on the menu, which now brought my bill to 40.88. I Love Open table because of the checks, any way I used the 20 dollar check and now the check was 20.88 the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Not crazy about THIS GyuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013The food wasn't as good as some of the other locations. I get the sukiyaki bibimbap everytime I go to the Gyu-Kaku in Beverly Hills, and I love it everytime! This location over-cooked the rice and it wasn't as flavorful. I also think they gave me the wrong meat and the waitress insisted it wasn't.....so I kept it. I usually get the bistro harami, which isn't thin at at all..... The meat I got was thin flap meat idk. I was starving so I ate it anyway. I still love Gyu.....not this locationSpecial Features:
- Angela StantonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2013I love the food at Gyu Kaku and keep on bugging my family to go. :) I think I am addicted to their delicious meats and appetizers--come to think of it, there is not a dish on the menu I don;t like. :)Special Features:
- I came here for late lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/10/2013I came here for late lunch. It was very good price and good service!Special Features:
- New Years Eve 2013Hackett123Dined on 12/31/2012Had New Years Eve dinner here, food was great, service of better. Had a great evening!Special Features:
- Good for late night dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/19/2012Good for late night dinner. Good service and good price!!Special Features:
- Suggest their 10-course option,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012Suggest their 10-course option, which just replaced their incredible all-u-can-eat option. (hoping they bring it back)... Happy hour prices aren't bad, either.Special Features:
- poor poor preperationsFoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2012Service was not what it should be but a lot of servers were in training. Server did not bring cooking utensils to handle the uncooked meet so we used an extra set of chopsticks on the table. Server also forgot side dishes. Ice cream was served with plastic spoons that broke off in the ice cream.
- Last time I was there, theFishandchipsVIPDined on 9/13/2012Last time I was there, the server offered to switch the grill to new one, this time nobody offered. My water glass was empty for a long time. Happy hour menu/price are great. The food was pretty good, especially Garlic spinach was awesome. I will go back again.Special Features:
- Good...but notable wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Good...but notable wait time for meats to be brought out. (each time we've dined here.)Special Features:
- Definitely enjoyed eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2012Definitely enjoyed eating here! The service was great with a personable waiter willing to give his opinion, the food was amazing, and the pitcher of peace soju mixed drink was delicious and kinda creeped on you. Will be back!Special Features:
- good food. very hot insideOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2012good food. very hot inside the restaurant, though.Special Features:
- This Gyu-Kaku Location hasTopcheftourVIPDined on 5/18/2012This Gyu-Kaku Location has one of the better quality of meats comparing to others.Special Features:
- very good - recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012not bad at all. Made reservation through opentable, and we were about 14 minutes late because of traffic / parking(the parking is horrible during rush hour), and Gyu already took us out of reservation. Had to wait about 35 minutes or so to get a table. Food were great as usual, and service were slow at the beginning (due to the fact the waiter just had a big table sit down), and us (4 people). But the waiter and manager were able to come to our table and talk to us (comforts). Can't blame on the waiter for all, but we were happy at last with food and service.
- The food was great. You shouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2012The food was great. You should eat here if you are a meat eater. Vegetarians have less options as they can probably only eat grilled veggies (that are grilled on the same plate as the meat). The thing I liked most was the service. The waitress was very nice and helpful in walking us through the menu. It was a great experience overall!Special Features:
- Love Love Love this restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2012Love Love Love this restaurant, Its always a new experience each time I go! They have great happy hour prices! This is a place I will continue going to for years! The only thing is if you want a table right away you HAVE to make reservations! If not you may be waiting awhile!Special Features:
- Disappearing waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2011My family and I have been to several Gyu-Kaku restaurants in the Southern California area. This was our first visit to the Tustin one. The food, as usual, was very good. The service was good, up to a point. While the waitress was attentive for most of the meal, near the end, she just disappeared. For our dessert items, the hostess or manager, I don't really know which she was, needed to get our items. And that was only because we asked her. We commented that our waitress had "disappeared" and she said she was new, and went on a break w/o telling us or getting a cover waitress. While she brought us our items, she did not really apologize for the incident. Oh well. So far our best overall experience has been at the Rancho location.Special Features:
- Got the AYCE for $20 and theyjocoVIPDined on 12/26/2011Got the AYCE for $20 and they let us substitute soft drinks for alcohol. Only knocking it down a bit because we arrived 10 minutes early for our reservation at 1:30pm and did not get seated until 1:50pm. Perhaps they did not expect the holiday rush? Still, will definitely be back, just don't arrive too hungry since there still might be a wait even with a reservation.