Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon
6600 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Suite #1010B, Westfield Topanga Center
Canoga Park, CA 91303Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: (818) 888-4030
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–5pm (last call)
Mon–Thu 5pm–9:30pm (last call)
Fri & Sat 5pm–10:30pm (last call)
Sun 5pm–9pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Executive Chef: You!!
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Be your own chef, but allow us to entertain you and your guests with a dazzling meal and impeccable service! We feature a vast selection of authentic yet fashionable Japanese BBQ dishes and a fully stocked Wine, Beer & Sake bar. We can tailor any banquet to fit your party’s predilections.
- Cross Street: Owensmouth Street, between Victory Boulevard and Vanowen Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Service is available through the main entrance of the Owensmouth Garage and is $7 with no validation available as the service is provided by the Center. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Self-parking is widely available throughout the garage, as well as in surrounding garages.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,’ inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can’t help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku is young and friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon - Best Restaurants in Woodland Hills ›
Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (26)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (12)special occasion (8)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- MEAT FULL OF VEINSbca1Dined on 11/8/2014The host was alomst enough to make us turn around and leave! He had Very large ear lobe rings that were very unappatising to see when you enter the restaurant. The food was tasty but over priced for the amount you get and the "must have steak" was mostly veins, when I told the waiter he said the filet is more tender and did Nothing about my steak. The portion was 5 little pieces for $10.00. Don't order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy locationFickle1Dined on 11/8/2014We got stuck in traffic and were late for our reservation. I tried to call and let them know that we were running behind, but no one answered the phone. When we did arrive, we lost our reservation. The hostess was apologetic and she sat us at a table after a short 10/15 minute wait. Our server was nice and the food was very tasty. Wish this place wasn't located at a mall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place1LovingGyuKakuDined on 11/6/2014I love coming here on the regular. Being on their rewards systembis great to for us who are frequent goers.Special Features:
- Good JBBQFlip81Dined on 10/11/2014Awesome food. However, not so good about the service. Our server was nowhere to be found when were about to pay, approximately 20 minutes. So we asked a different server to ring our check out. We could have left the restaurant without paying. Service needs improvement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealBibbaGDined on 10/8/2014We like going here for special occasions (anniversary, birthday, etc) and sometimes just to hit up the happy hour. This time we tried the $55 meat lovers PreFix. Which was more than enough for two. Would have preferred something other than smores. But just as well since we were stuffed. Took them in the next day for a co-worker with kids. Service was great. Love people who do their jobs with a smile.Special Features:
- Great food- very LOUDEatsDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful for groups but too loud for a date night or other intimate setting requiring conversation.Special Features:
- BBQ diningNelsonVIPDined on 10/3/2014A very fun and entertaining to have dinner, and yet very tasty. Be aware of wearing good clothes as your clothes and skin will smell like BBQ after you leave.Special Features:
- Grill with a Thrill: Japanese BBQQuicKickVIPDined on 9/15/2014The combination of fresh meats & vegetables over a table fire makes for an awesome dining experience. The garlic noodles and fried bacon chip are a couple of other highly recommended items. The short ribs and pork belly were delicious and I will be going back to try the other meats including lamb & brisket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst serviceFood12VIPDined on 9/7/2014They always have the worst service. Go for the food which have the times items are sold out!! And they say that the meant is thawing .
- Gets Pretty BusypasoroblesyelperDined on 9/7/2014This is a popular place, located in the Topanga mall. There is always a wait, make reservations if you can. Try the courses on Sunday, it's a good value. Enough for 3 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with my fatherOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014Gyu-Kaku is one of those places where we have to occasionally come back to due to its interesting menu and style of cooking. The service is lacking at times but it is always a fun time to spend with my family. The food is always good because you cook it yourself so it is to your liking.Special Features:
- aloneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2014recently I came to the restaurant alone,had my regular favorites it just wasn't the same without company to talk thru the cooking process,food still good though would still recomend
- Good - needs some updatingDDDMDined on 8/16/2014Place is getting a little run down. Needs a a refresh. Tables have burn marks from hot tongs, lots of scratches, needs a paint job Service was lacking attention (needed water refilled and waited long time, they never brought a dish - until we inquired - response was, "you never got it?"Special Features:
- quality timneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014good food good company what else is there oh yea drinks lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placenealVIPDined on 8/8/2014the food is great.lots of fun grillin g your own foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2014Upon your first dining trip to this restaurant, you will find offered a Guy-Kaku card. Although it costs a dollar, it pays you back in fold. Every $250 spent, gives you $50 off your meal. And the pleasant surprise is when the bill was $70, used my card and the bill came back at $30. The food is already good but tastes better when its almost free. Dan, our server, was actually the best service I have ever had at this restaurant, because it usually sucks. Just do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 469 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Topanga Canyon reviews archive.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Love gyu kaku! I always have a good time there and great food and my birthday wasn't any different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aahhhOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2014always know what you get,never any surprises.service is lacking food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I figured it outOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014I suppose when I first started coming here it can b expensive trying all the different things that might interest you Once you figure out what you REALLY like and the right time of day .Dinner time 3 people $72.00 same meal at 4pm $56. both before tip after 8 pm is when all the drinks are flowing at 1/2 price noise level goes up(less ur drinking) service was awesome this time unlike the past....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food for happy hourPrincessStacyDined on 7/14/2014i love comming here for happy hour i love the cheap prices for happy hour!Special Features:
- Friendly and FunFunfoodDined on 7/12/2014Great service and great food every time! Very unique menu,and the happy hour hours are great!! Lots of fun,and look forward to making many more memories w my friends and family!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummJJboDined on 7/6/2014Excellent service, delicious food and if you are a group of 4, the group meals are the best valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like the place but....CouldbbetterDined on 7/4/2014I made a reservation @7 for my bday, our server was not very efficient, and I had to wait on everything and ask for multiple refills. He forgot the sauces, we never even got the hot one. My family who had never eaten there were not impressed. I've had much better service, it was a holiday I understand. But my bday was marred slightly by the weak service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but had to wait a whilePrincessStacyDined on 7/3/2014Good food but had to wait a little bit for our table but I would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and social experience!dinewithmeeshkiDined on 7/2/2014The food is amazing. Its a great place to bring friends and even a date. The courses are spread out and you really have an opportunity to get to know the people/person you are with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014A chance to spent time with my 15 year old daughter and enjoy what she wanted for me, for Fathers day . Obvious we didn't make it that day... Food was awesome we ordered a coarse meal with soup salad bimpap(rice dish) and meats 3 plates for each. The salad has jicama and a very plesent dressing , really everything they/you make (cause the burner is in the middle of the table and you cook most of it!) is made or prepaired to perfection .service is just ok don't be surprised Just do it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentFoodeeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Good food and service, very noisy, bathroom needs attention/remodel BADLY.Special Features:
- Food is Great Service non-existentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014The dining experience started off well, but once the excellent food was delivered it was impossible to get them to come over which sucked when the flame at our table went out. And it took forever for us to get the waiters back over so we could order more food and then they charged us wrong to top it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced Korean BBQDr88Dined on 6/20/2014The amount you pay is not really worth it. You can find other Korean BBQ for a much lower price.
- No more onionsdee12345Dined on 6/15/2014They no longer offer onions on their menu for grilling. I was sad but the dishes are still pretty good. Made a reservation via OpenTable- but the hostess made us wait 15 min and tried to seat a walk-in group before us. I wouldn't have minded if happy hour wasn't about to end - but it was so we showed her out opentable Rez, insisted, and she took us first. Be sure to show the hostess your Reservation or it might not matter. Coming back still for that meat and $1.50 beers :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- twoheartsshowsDined on 6/15/2014Great food as always. Topanga has the best service of all the Gyu Kaku restaurants.Special Features:
- Great food. Bad service.kv323Dined on 6/14/2014I really wish the service here was better. The food is amazing but every time we've dined at this location we have had mediocre if not horrible service. I'm not asking for anything extra...it would just be nice to have the waiter refill your drink and bring you your entire order rather than waiting until your done and apologize that you want to take the forgotten item off your bill because you never received it. These are just a couple things that have happened each time we've dined. It's horribly consistent. I'd rather visit the Sherman Oaks location. They seem to know how to there job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2014Table was dirty, food was good. Service staff was attentive. Very loud no ambience.Special Features:
- Always a great timeSocialWorker1Dined on 5/30/2014Went for lunch with a friend from out of state. It was her first time and she loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so food. Terrible service.MytwocentsDined on 5/23/2014We've been to other locations on numerous occasions. This location had the worst service we've ever experienced. Generally like the food at Gyu-Kaku, but it's steadily been going down hill. For the money, it's definitely not worth it these days. Decent at happy hour prices, but definitely not at full price. After 8 years, this was the final for us. Won't be returning.Special Features:
- Hibachi Styleksb1001VIPDined on 5/21/2014Gyu Kaku has good food and a huge menu. I always end up going not at happy hour times, so it can be quite pricey. We spent $200 on a dinner for five - with six drinks. But the meat is great. The garlic noodles absolutely yummy, and the desserts also quite good. Also the pot stickers, edaname, etc. is nice. Great for kids cuz they can make S-mores and grill their own meat and veggies.Special Features:
- yumWooLeeDined on 5/11/2014My wife & I love this place - Killer deal for a great meal - love the yaki-shabu, happy hour is awesome.Special Features:
- very goodnealVIPDined on 5/2/2014this is always a fun place. food and service are good and its fun to cook your own foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and different dinningAzucarbabeDined on 4/26/2014First time I took my 9 year old to a Korean BBQ place and he enjoyed it. He loved that he can cool his food and pretended to be a grown up. Also the waiter was very accommodating to explain to him how the resturant worksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrid ServiceFitnessFoodieDined on 4/26/2014We had a reservation (from Open Table) and when we got there, we had to wait "while they get your table ready". OK no problem. 20 minutes later, after seeing others who arrived after us get seated, I asked the hostess, who was a bit unfriendly, about our table. She says "Oh, it's been ready". Really?! I'll fast forward to the waiter - who was in training. He took forever to bring our drinks - my lemon drop tasted awful. Then he kept bringing us food we didn't order. When I asked about the food we DID order, he said they hadn't started it yet and it would take a long time. Verbatim, that's what he said. We finally got it - food was okay, not good enough to make up for the horrible service. We won't be back, only because of the BAD service.