Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
321 W 44th Street Unit 103
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $31 to $50
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 6466929115
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: A table of up to 15 guests situated in the back of restaurant in a private dining room.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
Gyu kaku's specialty is Yakiniku where our guest become chefs, cooking up a variety of luscious marinated meats, along with a wide variety of delectable dishes, served with our invigorating spirit and sublime atmosphere, you will definitely enjoy your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (55)great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (21)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (12)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- decent cook it yourself foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014The meat and variety at the Gyu Kaku chain is decent but never spectacular. The service is good and the food comes fast. However, I find that overall, the price is high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Food is very tasty and great service! We enjoyed it very much!Special Features:
- Tasty BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014Good tasting BBQ. Get to cook the food yourself on your table. This place is great if you can get in before happy hour ends (6pm). I had a reservation at 6pm, and we arrived about 5 minutes early. The waitresses rushed to get our order in for the last call for happy hour. We may have felt slightly rushed, but it was for a purpose, so we appreciated it. We also had a show to catch, so the quick service was nice, and the food also came very quickly. Everything was tasty.Special Features:
- Poor version of Gyu-Kaku mid-townHelloKitty5Dined on 10/21/2014Imitation of Japanese/Korean food, about 6 different waiters visited table, which was very confusing. Food was ok, very salty and contained MSG.
- Had a great time!BW3104Dined on 10/18/2014I went when it was my Bro's B-day. Wasn't our first time at a yaki-niku restaurant, but it was our first time at Gyu-kaku. We did the Kobe Meal Course it was very delicious. Will really recommend this place to my friends and family as well as come back in the future.Special Features:
- Rude hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014This restaurant really needs to get a new hostess. She is rude and ignorant.
- Horrible lunch experienceChinoDined on 10/11/2014I normally love Gyu-kaku and i am a frequent guest in East Village location. For the first time, we went to Times Square location because we were going to see a play afterwards in the theater district. There was something wrong with each of the dishes we ordered. Kalbi had no taste, one of the meat with miso flavor was way too strong, mushroom medley was too salty etc... I am also used to having the grill exchanged a couple of times throughout the meal, but this day, it NEVER happened. The waitress only came once towards the end of the meal to ask if everything was okay. I was hugely disappointed.Special Features:
- great food. great happy hour value.shrecchiDined on 10/9/2014I just love gyukaku. Great services and great value for happy hour. Great place for group dinner. I can go whatever occasion whenever I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltydloverVIPDined on 10/5/2014Compare to other branches this place is too salty. Little disappointed
- Great Birthday Dinner!JeremyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Went for my girlfriends birthday dinner with a group of 9 and it was great! We made the reservation for 5pm because the happy hour ended at 6 and we wanted the half off drinks and food specials. Once we were all there, we were happily surprised to be seated in our own room in the back with a big table and two grills. The waitress let us order as many drinks as we wanted ahead of time before the happy hour was up, which was awesome! There are group meals that are on sale for happy hour so we ordered two that were meant for 4 people each and it was a perfect amount of food for 9. The dessert was s'mores, the waitress even brought out extras so we all had some. Overall, it was a great birthday dinner I would definitely go again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014I been there two times and both times have been extremely enjoyable. I am hoping to become a regular when time allows me toSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014Loved this place. Meat soooo tender. Will return. It's great to have control over how your meat is cookedSpecial Features:
- Good food; too noisy and too hardOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Although the noise level ratings only go to "Energetic" I would say that this restaurant is ridiculously noisy. It's unpleasant, chaotic and too much work for dinner. We went with a group of 8 and it was hard for the "cooks" to even eat. Although the ingredients seemed fresh, this place was just not a good experience, even for what they were trying to do. I expected a much calmer, but still fun and energetic experience. Unfortunately, that is not what we got.Special Features:
- Great Night Outhiddenl1feDined on 9/25/2014Took my girlfriend here for our anniversary. The food was delicious, the servers were very helpful. Overall a wonderful experience. Would definitely recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- AWESOME- my favGuestDined on 9/19/2014I love Gyu-Kaku!! I go about 1-2 a month and I definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Hasty mealgh07981VIPDined on 9/13/2014The meal felt really hasty because everything we ordered all came at once, leaving us with no room to eat. Because of that, we had to grill the meat asap to free up some space and didn't have time to just sit back and enjoy the food. All of the meats ended up tasting really similar to me because the meal was so hasty.Special Features:
- Unimpeccable Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014I reserved a table for 8 people but they gave us a table for 6 and we were squished. The service was slow. I had to order a pitcher of beer 4 times with 3 different people. It didn't meet my expectations.Special Features:
- Fun Cool PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Had great experience. Waiter asked if he needed to explain how everything works and was more than helpful. Fun to cook your own food. Very good for the price. Dinner for 2 with about 5 drinks. $100 before tip. Great for parties up to 12. 2 Entrees each and a an appetizer each is plenty. You'll be satisfied.Special Features:
- good for asian groupwilsonDined on 9/11/2014asian group activity always is regarded noisy as that is the case they have the culture to show their happiness and life passion. many restaurant dislike what they do often. but this restaurant welcomed us and we enjoyed a paradise of drinking and loud talking and laughing. one boss of us was drunk leads to the climax of the dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to spotfreshoffthegrillDined on 9/2/2014Gyu-Kaku has become my favorite place to eat over the last three years. I've been to multiple locations and even have a favorite waiter at the time square restaurant. Peter is cool, funny, and extremely knowledgeable. He knows the ins and outs of that menu and can always suggest something fun and tasySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shift changexSummerSeedxDined on 9/1/2014Always like the food here but arriving at 3:45 PM got us caught in the middle of a shift change where we waited a long time for food. Also, the air conditioner was dripping onto us and even into our food at one point. I have had lots of great experiences here so I'll be back but was a little disappointed this time.Special Features:
- BBQ-TasticJai32Dined on 8/31/2014The service is great! Be prepared to want to BBQ everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodtechgirlDined on 8/30/2014Overall it was a good experience. The only thing is that we had a reservation and they couldn't seat us because they had another large group where they had wanted to seat us. Otherwise, everyone enjoyed the food and were surprisingly delighted with the experience.Special Features:
- Favorite PlaceFavoriteDined on 8/25/2014My son and I always visit this restaurant when he is home from school. We love the food and the service. Always a fun time !Special Features:
- Different experience - enjoyed it!RickVIPDined on 8/24/2014This is as much an experience as it is a meal. You cook your own food, on a BBQ grill in the middle of your table. Great for groups of 6 or fewer. The food was really good. Very high quality meat and vegetables. The service could have been a little more attentive, but the staff was friendly enough. We were on vacation in NYC, and had friends, who live in NYC, with us. Great opportunity to visit in a fun atmosphere over good food.Special Features:
- Service here was slow!DuckydinesDined on 8/18/2014I have been to all the locations and although this was my second time at this location, TS, I have to say the service was disappointing. We had to ask for our refill beverage several times after waiting an unusual long time. An Incorrect dish was brought over and the correct one had to be resubmitted. It was just scattered and long waiting on service. Food wise I love it all Except the filet mignon was very tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude front desk but overall greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Came back for its great happy hour deal. The food blows me away each time--the meat, side dishes, and green tea mille crepes were all very delicous. Our servers were very courteous and attentive. Unfortunately, this time around, my sister and I found the front desk lady to be rude--yes, it was completely our fault for running late, but we went in the middle of the afternoon and more than half of the tables were open. We didn't see the need for her to restate the fact that we were late in the most condescending tone. I would expect a restaurant in Times Square to be receiving many tourists who don't schedule their days around one meal. Amazing food and convenient location, but I probably wouldn't take out-of-town visitors here again.Special Features:
- Good food great serviceChris4593Dined on 8/15/2014For the price you receive a lot of food. Almost too much. Great service. Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it hereJerseyGirlFoodieDined on 8/8/2014I love Gyu-Kaku! That food is so yummy and so reasonably priced for Times Square. I enjoy the factor of cooking your own food. Happy Hour is the best in all of NYC, if you ask me. Half priced drinks AND apps? Yes, please!Special Features:
- The following 196 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews archive.
- Extremely noisy, but delicious foodSabrinaVIPDined on 5/10/2014I went there for dinner, to celebrate early Mother's Day with my parents, but the place was extremely noisy. We had to yell at each other to be heard, and it was not really pleasant. What makes this place worth is the quality of the food. The service is also good and efficient.Special Features:
- Great way to end a perfect weekenduncgradDined on 5/4/2014My 12 year old daughter and I ended our perfect girls weekend in NYC with a visit here. We found it in one of our NYC guides, and it sounded fun. We got the "beginner" meal combo, and it was more than enough food. We enjoyed our experience cooking our own food. The staff was very patient and kind in helping us along. I would highly recommend it to families...it was affordable, especially by New York standards!Special Features:
- Our Mini-reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014We have not met our East coast classmates for quite a while. The venue for this next meeting was crucial; it should allow good interaction while providing good food and activity at the same time. Gyu-Kaku was a most appropriate venue. With its warm ambience and the need to "cook your barbecue", the lunch hour went smoothly and provided activity while encouraging active interaction within thegroup. The food was delicious and very tasteful, and surprisingly, even the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Ate at Gyu-Kaku (Korean barbeque) pre-theater on a Tuesday night. Service was great; food was fun and is cooked by diners at their own table. I highly recommend the mushroom side-dish; it was so good we ordered a second.Special Features:
- Cheap and niceAnnieVIPDined on 4/23/2014We arrived 5.55pm not knowing about the Happy Hour. They still let us order dinner and drinks Happy Hours priced at 6.30 which is amazing! Food and service was great! Would recommend and will go again when I go to Broadway againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014We had a great experience on our visit to Gyo-Kaku at Times Sqaure. Six Norwegians all loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fun! Great Spot for a Group!ElizabethDined on 2/18/2014We had a party of 10, in town for business. This was the perfect choice for more of a fun, casual dinner. Lots of great cocktails, ordering was easy, and the table grills kept everyone busy. I've been to the location in the Village, which seemed a little nicer inside. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Couple Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Best double-date ever! So romantic to cook your own food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for Happy HourMissMVIPDined on 2/12/2014They have great Happy Hour (50% off). Recommended.Special Features:
- poor attension to customersSKCOCODined on 2/9/2014We were late 10min, and we needed to wait to seat. That was our fault, so there is no problem. The hostess said very politely to wait to seat cuz we are late. The waitstaff.....very poor. I don't think it's super busy to waited another beer for 40minutes. First drinks were also served late. While waiting the drink we ordered food. We thought she forgot the beer and try to ask other staff or her but nobody around our table.
- a wonderful lunchandi21Dined on 2/9/2014My friends and I were looking for a resturant in the times square and after some research online I found this gem. We arrived an hour earlier than our reservation time and the gentleman at the door politely said there weren't any seats available yet but we could sit at the bar. We decided against it and went to look around. When we came back, (still early) they were able to so they happily seated us. We sat down and our waitress came over right away. We decided on drinks and the Kando for 4. So much food! And a reasonable price! The waitstaff delivered the food in increments and explained what each item was. The waitstaff was friendly but somewhere towards the end of our meal we got lost in the shuffle. Other than that great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.