Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
321 W 44th Street Unit 103
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $31 to $50
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 6466929115
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: A table of up to 15 guests situated in the back of restaurant in a private dining room.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
Gyu kaku's specialty is Yakiniku where our guest become chefs, cooking up a variety of luscious marinated meats, along with a wide variety of delectable dishes, served with our invigorating spirit and sublime atmosphere, you will definitely enjoy your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)romantic (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014My son and I always visit this restaurant when he is home from school. We love the food and the service. Always a fun time !Special Features:
- Different experience - enjoyed it!RickVIPDined on 8/24/2014This is as much an experience as it is a meal. You cook your own food, on a BBQ grill in the middle of your table. Great for groups of 6 or fewer. The food was really good. Very high quality meat and vegetables. The service could have been a little more attentive, but the staff was friendly enough. We were on vacation in NYC, and had friends, who live in NYC, with us. Great opportunity to visit in a fun atmosphere over good food.Special Features:
- Service here was slow!DuckydinesDined on 8/18/2014I have been to all the locations and although this was my second time at this location, TS, I have to say the service was disappointing. We had to ask for our refill beverage several times after waiting an unusual long time. An Incorrect dish was brought over and the correct one had to be resubmitted. It was just scattered and long waiting on service. Food wise I love it all Except the filet mignon was very tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude front desk but overall greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Came back for its great happy hour deal. The food blows me away each time--the meat, side dishes, and green tea mille crepes were all very delicous. Our servers were very courteous and attentive. Unfortunately, this time around, my sister and I found the front desk lady to be rude--yes, it was completely our fault for running late, but we went in the middle of the afternoon and more than half of the tables were open. We didn't see the need for her to restate the fact that we were late in the most condescending tone. I would expect a restaurant in Times Square to be receiving many tourists who don't schedule their days around one meal. Amazing food and convenient location, but I probably wouldn't take out-of-town visitors here again.Special Features:
- Good food great serviceChris4593Dined on 8/15/2014For the price you receive a lot of food. Almost too much. Great service. Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it hereJerseyGirlFoodieDined on 8/8/2014I love Gyu-Kaku! That food is so yummy and so reasonably priced for Times Square. I enjoy the factor of cooking your own food. Happy Hour is the best in all of NYC, if you ask me. Half priced drinks AND apps? Yes, please!Special Features:
- Extremely noisy, but delicious foodSabrinaVIPDined on 5/10/2014I went there for dinner, to celebrate early Mother's Day with my parents, but the place was extremely noisy. We had to yell at each other to be heard, and it was not really pleasant. What makes this place worth is the quality of the food. The service is also good and efficient.Special Features:
- Great way to end a perfect weekenduncgradDined on 5/4/2014My 12 year old daughter and I ended our perfect girls weekend in NYC with a visit here. We found it in one of our NYC guides, and it sounded fun. We got the "beginner" meal combo, and it was more than enough food. We enjoyed our experience cooking our own food. The staff was very patient and kind in helping us along. I would highly recommend it to families...it was affordable, especially by New York standards!Special Features:
- Our Mini-reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014We have not met our East coast classmates for quite a while. The venue for this next meeting was crucial; it should allow good interaction while providing good food and activity at the same time. Gyu-Kaku was a most appropriate venue. With its warm ambience and the need to "cook your barbecue", the lunch hour went smoothly and provided activity while encouraging active interaction within thegroup. The food was delicious and very tasteful, and surprisingly, even the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 192 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews archive.
- Pre-Theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Ate at Gyu-Kaku (Korean barbeque) pre-theater on a Tuesday night. Service was great; food was fun and is cooked by diners at their own table. I highly recommend the mushroom side-dish; it was so good we ordered a second.Special Features:
- Cheap and niceAnnieVIPDined on 4/23/2014We arrived 5.55pm not knowing about the Happy Hour. They still let us order dinner and drinks Happy Hours priced at 6.30 which is amazing! Food and service was great! Would recommend and will go again when I go to Broadway againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014We had a great experience on our visit to Gyo-Kaku at Times Sqaure. Six Norwegians all loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fun! Great Spot for a Group!ElizabethDined on 2/18/2014We had a party of 10, in town for business. This was the perfect choice for more of a fun, casual dinner. Lots of great cocktails, ordering was easy, and the table grills kept everyone busy. I've been to the location in the Village, which seemed a little nicer inside. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Couple Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Best double-date ever! So romantic to cook your own food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for Happy HourMissMVIPDined on 2/12/2014They have great Happy Hour (50% off). Recommended.Special Features:
- poor attension to customersSKCOCODined on 2/9/2014We were late 10min, and we needed to wait to seat. That was our fault, so there is no problem. The hostess said very politely to wait to seat cuz we are late. The waitstaff.....very poor. I don't think it's super busy to waited another beer for 40minutes. First drinks were also served late. While waiting the drink we ordered food. We thought she forgot the beer and try to ask other staff or her but nobody around our table.
- a wonderful lunchandi21Dined on 2/9/2014My friends and I were looking for a resturant in the times square and after some research online I found this gem. We arrived an hour earlier than our reservation time and the gentleman at the door politely said there weren't any seats available yet but we could sit at the bar. We decided against it and went to look around. When we came back, (still early) they were able to so they happily seated us. We sat down and our waitress came over right away. We decided on drinks and the Kando for 4. So much food! And a reasonable price! The waitstaff delivered the food in increments and explained what each item was. The waitstaff was friendly but somewhere towards the end of our meal we got lost in the shuffle. Other than that great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good but not greatSeanNYVIPDined on 2/6/2014I have been going to the Gyu Kaku in cooper square since they opened and I recommend it highly. Maybe it was just an off night, but the food here was OK and the service was fine, nothing special. My only actual complaint is the LED lighting makes the place look very blah ... a bit like eating in the IKEA cafeteria.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchDianaDined on 2/2/2014Delicious, fresh food, great marinades for meats and seafood, great cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimeDavidIVIPDined on 1/31/2014Prepared dishes were very good and cook your own dishes were prepped very well. Fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!! Will definitely return!foodadventurerDined on 1/25/2014I went to eat here with my mother before our Broadway show and it was definitely worth it! We had the Hanabi course for 2 during happy hour, and it was definitely worth the cost. Our server was very attentive and the food was seasoned and decorated amazingly. It was a great experience getting to use the grill in the center for such a wide variety of meats and flavors! Unlike the Korean BBQ buffets that I have gone to where the meat marinades all taste the same, you could tell that Gyu Kaku's seasonings were well-planned and they went well with the meat. We had practically no leftovers but were definitely satisfied by the food and service. I definitely recommend this place for anyone travelling to near the Port Authority!Special Features:
- Thank youGuybrownDined on 1/23/2014I come dine here all the time and it's always enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/22/2014The food is delicious and the service is amazing! The lunch specials for groups are unbeatable and very filling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Great ServiceHiromiDined on 1/19/2014Great Yakiniku (Japanese BBQ) place! The meat was very fresh and the lunch packages are good deals. They have happy hour during lunch every day. The service was great. They require all servers to kneel down to talk to the customers, so that they are looking up at the customers, not looking down at them. The only complain would be that even we reserved, when we get there, it was still packed. So we waited about 15 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gyu-Kaku is one of my favorites!LeslieAnneDined on 1/17/2014Came to the Times Square location because I couldn't get a reservation at the UES location at a reasonable time. It was my first time at this location and as usual, it did not disappoint. The food is tasty, love cooking my own food, and service was good.
- Exceeded expectationsJalensmaDined on 1/11/2014Japanese BBQ spot with extensive menu. Menu offers options for groups of 2, 4 or 6 that includes an array of appetizers, BBQ meats/seafood/sides and desserts for one price which is helpful because it gives you a little bit of everything to taste. Servers were excellent and attentive. This place is great for groups. Is definitely a bit noisy so if you're looking for a quiet ambience, this is not the place. But if you don't mind the noise, you won't be disappointed. The food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014I went here for a nice date night and it was great. The fact that we can cook our meals puts a fun spin on going out. Definitely not a regular restaurant and I plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diva lunchKingNellyDined on 1/4/2014My friends and I had an amazing time. The food options and portions are perfect. You get to order only what you want and how much of it. Your server explains everything on the menu including portion size(3.5oz) of meat per serving. Drinks were amazing and prices were great. Definitely would recommend this place for a one on one date to end in a evening of s'mores, or a girls night with laughs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is better than serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Good food, such as Kobe beef, shrimp dumplings and mushroom cod. And they exchanged the grill shelf a lot to insure its efficiency. I only wish to see a bigger smile on the face of our waitress because she appeared so serious that it made us even a little bit nervous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service the waitress forgotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/30/2013Bad service the waitress forgot to take my drink order. And rushing me to pay the bill while i was talking to my friends. That's it!! Will never go back to this time sq location.
- A NYC FavouriteRJK1961Dined on 12/29/2013This was our second visit and it's more of a fun experience than just a meal. The BBQ is lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of fun, reservationsjoyboyVIPDined on 12/25/2013A lot of fun, reservations a must, good for pre-theater, but allow plenty of time, because the cook it yourself motif takes time. Food was very good and so was the experience. "Happy hour" pricing good, too.Special Features:
- Fun Experience but not spectacularGrayandAnnaDined on 12/23/2013Gyu-Kaku is a very unique restaurant. When you sit down the first thing you see is an open circular grill in front of you. You order off the menu a plate of raw meats paired with vegetables. The food was okay but the fun experience of grilling it yourself made it feel a little better. The restaurant was pretty dead and service was a bit slow. I would recommend going into this restaurant with the idea that you are going to have an interesting night, not for an exquisite meal.Special Features:
- other locations have better serviceWhere2eatVIPDined on 12/22/2013The one in Midtown East has better service than the one in times square, and a nice view if you get a table by the windows. The food is great at all locationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Family Dining with Older KidsDallasDawnDined on 12/21/2013The personal hibachi grills at the tables were something we had not yet experienced. But it was a big hit with our family... even our teenager! The food was great, and they kept us on track to catch our Broadway show with time to spare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Japanese style BBQLouIDined on 12/21/2013I have a friend that once said he does not want to go out to eat and cook his own food. I love it! Cook everything to your own taste. There are several locations in NYC. I even found myself at one in LA. Always a good meal. This location is great since it is two blocks from the shows on Broadway. Sake selection is ok. Not the best but some selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013Great place!!! Super fun and great food. I definitely recommend it, I go at least once a month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Place!Aleja041961Dined on 12/18/2013I had an amazing time with my boyfriend. It was so romantic cooking our on food. The food tasted incredible and the drinks were great. We both had a good time and will be returning soon. Our server was sweet and well-informed. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for 8CL48Dined on 12/18/2013We enjoyed the meal immensely. one comment was that the wings were a little salty and the service charge on bringing your own alcohol was outrageously high. L48Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for my birthday dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Went for my birthday dinner. Had a party of 7 so we got the meat lovers prix fixe set.food was phenomenal, but wasn't enough to fill everyone up. Will definitely frequenting this place oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.