Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks
14457 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 8185015400
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30AM–5PM (last call)
Mon–Sat 5PM–11:30PM (last call)
Sun 5PM–10:30PM (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: You!
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Your party is our party. We can accommodate most large party sizes and have one private room for up to 12 guests. If we can assist you in any way to host a large party or special occasion dinner, please let us know. We offer customized prix-fixe menus as well as tailored seating arrangements to best suit your needs. We are more than happy to work personally with you, step-by-step, to ensure that your party is a great one. However, our restaurant is not large, so please call in advance for large or private party requests to ensure space.
- Private Party Contact: Darin Fajota, General Manager 8185015400
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,’ inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can’t help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks - Best Restaurants in Sherman Oaks ›
Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (29)hot spot (23)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (19)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (17)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (13)romantic (9)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great birthday dinner!foodISgoodDined on 9/22/2014We took my mother-in-law here for her birthday, as a fun alternative to the usual brunch-type b'day plans. We had a great time. Food was yummy, as always. She got the lamb chops and said they were delicious! We only wish the food didn't all come out at the SAME time, makes for a very full table, which can be a little chaotic when trying to cook. But overall, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only I came hungrySottusDined on 9/16/2014the food was great, as always. I only wish I had came on an empty stomach. It's that "I'm so full but it tastes so good" feeling. Our waitress was the best. I want to kick myself because I can't remember her name. The bar was alright. Super busy and the bartender seemed stressed out. I don't blame him, he had a few rude customers waiting. Overall, the experience was pleasant. Of course I will come back :)Special Features:
- THE BEST!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We LOVE Gyu-Kaku! The yummiest food!!!!!!!!! Favorite items: Spicy Tuna Volcano, Gyu Salad, Garlic Noodles, Harami Miso Skirt Steak, Hanger Steak, Nigori SakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014Nice variety of exotic meats/seafood in traditional Yakiniku style. Great 1st date spot!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014Always a wonderful experience at Gyu-Kaku! It's perfect for a date, families, or a small group party.Special Features:
- Fun if you can get in!tinylibrarianVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great place, always busy since they introduced lots of specials and discounts. It's definitely worth it to reserve a ride through uber or lyft to take advantage of their happy hour, which features $1 draft beers. Also seems like a popular place for people to take their dates to.Special Features:
- Monday Happy HourAndrew34caDined on 8/18/2014This is probably the most happening Gyu Kaku I've been to. This spot is always busy and has a good feel about it. There is always enough to go around, and always leave happy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/3/2014I always enjoy my time at Gyu-Kaku! The servers are very friendly, the food is wonderful and the experience of making your own meal is exciting. It's a great date restaurant or a fun family location. I wouldn't recommend it for large groups as you tend to run out of room on the grill/have to wait for everyone to have their turn. It's perfect for 2-4 people.Special Features:
- Gyu-KakuFoodnutVIPDined on 8/1/2014I'e been coming here for years. The quality is predicable and repeatable. Your in control of the cooking, so everything is fresh. Top tjat off with great menu items, quality food products and great flavors and you have a winner.Special Features:
- Disappointmentsunnyg2432Dined on 7/30/2014Have been to several gyu kaku locations around the world and this by far is the worst. Had to wait almost an hour to be seated WITH reservation. Once seated and food ordereded, our table grill kept going out, took close to 30 minutes to cook mushrooms because it continued to go out. We even asked to change booths but they did not accomidate because they assured us the maintenance man could come and fix it. Refills were non existent, food was slow to come out. It was a beat down of an experience and totally disappointing.Special Features:
- My experience hmmmmCanneryDinerDined on 7/25/2014No wine list available, only a choice of white or red wine from the bar Long wait, even if you have reservations, yet tables are sitting empty Grill at table not functioning well. Had to turn off and leave food half cooked, then restart grill over and over. Takes a while to get first set of plates to start grilling Food arrives on top of each other, nothing wonderful to return
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014exotic cuisine very energetic. great service. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends ...........................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out w new friendTimetogoDined on 7/18/2014Food was great. Service wasn't very good, once we were finished eating we were rushed out. At least 5 different people came to ask us if we were done and they would interrupt our conversation. This happened about 10 times. Not good customer serviceSpecial Features:
- good experiencedianeDined on 7/17/2014First time here and at first, the menu and overall ambiance was a little overwhelming. But the great server came over and explained everything and broke it all down for our party of four. We enjoyed a nice meal as we cooked and ate our own food. Just need to keep up with whose flipping which items so nothing is over cooked or undercooked. The server kept changing our grill which was nice. overall we had a good first time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious but expensivesammysweetsDined on 7/8/2014The service was wonderful, everyone was really friendly and we were paid a lot of attention to. However, the fact that I paid 20.00 for 5 slices of meat, 4 pieces of shrimp, and a small bowl of rice is ridiculous to me. I think ill stick with the all you can eat korean bbq places for this type of meal.Special Features:
- AmazingPaigeDined on 6/20/2014I had heard amazing things about Gyu Kaku but it exceeded my expectations. It was the most tender meat I have ever had! Very reasonably priced, but make sure to make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/5/2014I normally have an incredible experience at Gyu-Kaku but my night was very different. While the food was wonderful, we had a few guests next to us that made the experience MISERABLE. There were two ladies at the table, who were then joined by two gentleman, that were then joined by 3 more gentleman, all of them EXTREMELY INTOXICATED, LOUD AND OBNOXIUS. The guys were coming back and forth, sitting at a 4 person table with 7 people, which meant that we had to scoot over and were standing in the way of our waitress. While we were sitting there, the waiters served one man SEVEN PITCHERS of beer and 4 SHOTS. REALLY? How ignorant and poor of a waiter/managment do you need to be? It's pathetic guys...Truly. You put his life in danger.Special Features:
- The following 421 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Sherman Oaks reviews archive.
- I LOVE Gyu-Kaku!!!MsVFoodieDined on 5/19/2014Most people don't appreciate the concept of cooking your own food, but I've been a fan of Gyu-Kaku for 5+ years and I love the experience. Their happy hour menu is constantly getting better, after each visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014have been here a few times. The food is so different that it seems a treat every time we come here. Much variety and since you cook your own food, it gets done just the way you want it. It is always busy so you know it's good food! Happy hour prices are great for a budget, and all day Mondays!!! Be smart and make a reservation (unless you like hanging out at the bar for a while, like we do).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this is the best Gyu Kaku locationEdgarPDined on 5/8/2014We live in Orange County, and yet we don't go to the HB location because we haven't had good experiences. However, every time we go to the Sheman Oaks location, we always enjoy our meal. This is a great place to take a date (one of the first places I took my wife when we started dating).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/4/2014I absolutely LOVE Gyu-Kaku! The food is wonderful, the service is fast and easy and employees are all very kind and friendly. They explain how to cook each dish (how many minutes on each side) and should you need help, they are always available to provide you with any kind of assistance you may need. I highly recommend Gyu-Kaku for a family dinner, date or just for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fitdmackDined on 4/25/2014Ambiance is loud and energetic and the food hits the spot, what more could you ask for. Service is friendly and attentive, but not overly. Happy hour is one of the reasons why my friends and I have continued to go back. Couldn't be happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChrisVIPDined on 4/19/2014I'm never dissatisfied with the quality of the food. Everything is always quick to get to the table and always tastes great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014I absolutely love Gyu-Kaku! The food is wonderful, the service is incredible, and the energy in the restaurant is always strong. It's a lot of fun to cook your own meals (If you need help, the servers are more than willing to help you/give you advice) Some of the dishes are already prepared though.Special Features:
- Great foodDre1990Dined on 4/18/2014Too expensive for uncooked meat. Nevertheless a wonderful experience and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not happy with new menuNicoleDined on 4/7/2014Their happy hour menu has changed and there are many meat options that were removed from the old happy hour menu. What really bothered us was when we were finished with our meal we were asked by the guy cleaning our table to leave right away! He did not speak English but told us thanks like 4 times before he told my friend in Spanish if we can leave so he can set the table for the next party. We took another minute to finish our conversation and again he was nodding his head and saying thanks implying for us to leave. Now, I understand they are pressured to set the tables fast when a party leaves but this was ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014This place never disappoint. Bistro Harami steak is to die for!Special Features:
- FESTIVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014I am all about this place-- fun, energetic, vibrant, and busy! Family friendly, and it's always fun to celebrate a special occasion here for all ages, and there's nothing like hands-on cooking. The s'mores are so much fun, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I LOVE THIS PLACEReddDined on 3/21/2014I have yet to be disappointed when dining here. The wait is never too bad since they have great service at the bar. Cheap drinks help a lot! Made a reservation to have dinner with friends and were seated on time despite it being very crowded. This place is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good but slow serviceJGFoodDined on 3/16/2014The food here is very good and its a lot of fun cooking it, but the service is always a bit slow, usually cause they are very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Meal, OK LocationScottVIPDined on 3/16/2014I've been before, and I say it again... Specific to this location, while the food is good, and it's cool for a large group, the place is a little run down, and the service is just OK. You don't have to order as much food as they recommend, as I often order the meals for 4 that will easily serve 6. But it's a good place to go for those who haven't done something like that before (and by that, I mean cook over and open fire with finely prepped ingredients. You do the work, they bring and take away the plates. (But don't take them fast enough)Special Features:
- Fun concept, bad logisticsEllaDined on 3/9/2014I wonder if they even read my reservation. They took 20 minutes to seat us and didn't do or say anything about it being my sister's birthday, which I mentioned in the note. All the parking close to the restaurant was "valet only". The food was good and fun to make. Each item was reasonably-priced enough that we could order several things and not have an overwhelming bill. The miso butterfish was incredible. The only difficulty with the food was that each dish contains different quantities of each item, which wasn't mentioned on the menu or by our server, so sharing as a group was a little difficult. Overall, a fun place for dinner, just assume there's no parking and no reservations.Special Features:
- Gyu-Kaku always greatDonaldDined on 3/5/2014We go here usually twice a month ... only complaint is they have taken the vegetable plate off the menu. This was always a favorite.Special Features:
- This was a last minute decisionTitania22Dined on 2/23/2014This was a last minute decision to go out late on a Saturday night and I was thrilled that we could get in. Food was delicious as always and the service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first timeFoodie2Dined on 2/21/2014We arrived early and there were plenty of other guests before us. Once they were seated, they worked us in. This was our first time. It was fun and we would certainly go back. Our waiter Rodney was fabulous~~Special Features:
- as always the food was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014as always the food was amazing! :) satisfied customer!Special Features:
- Hit or MissGorgeousAliDined on 2/16/2014Food is delicious but our server was horrible. We were there an hour or so and saw her 2 times. Once to greet us and then to hand us the check. Other servers were bringing us food, I had to ask the busser to brink me utensils.Special Features:
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I have been dining here regularly. The food is delicious and the service is great. We bring all of our friends here and they love it too!! So far no one has been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i'm a fanMusicExecDined on 2/9/2014got introduced to Gyu Kaku a few years back and have been a solid fan ever since. I've visited several of the LA locations as well as NYC. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experienceEatfoodDined on 2/2/2014This place has different foods that are brought to your table and you cook on your own grill. It is interactive and a neat concept. The food was good but not spectacular. Nothing was bad by any means. The experience is cool. Great for a fun interactive date or a group of friends sharing a bunch of different foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.