Gyu-Kaku - Philadelphia
1901 Callowhill Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/pa/philadelphia.htm
- Phone: (267) 603-9482
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Philadelphia
Gyu-Kaku is a Japanese BBQ (yakiniku) restaurant concept brought to you from Japan. Find your local Gyu-Kaku restaurant by searching Gyu-Kaku and your city name. Yakiniku's literal translation is grilled meat. We serve a variety of meats and vegetables including most cuts of beef, chicken, pork, and seafood! Customers are most excited for the experience of grilling their orders at their own table while enjoying an ice cold mug of beer or authentic sake. Itadakimasu! Kanpai!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gyu-Kaku - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (47)fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (23)hot spot (17)romantic (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- YUMMMMMMMrobinVIPDined on 11/16/2014What a reasonably priced and fun way to have a meal. For 12.95 I had a delicious barbecue with tender meat and shrimp, rice and miso soup. And the raw tuna app on crunchy rice was so awesome. I went with my daughter and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastySpokesDined on 11/13/2014A fun, different dining experience. Our waiter was great at explaining the best ways to use the table grill and made it a great time. We had a ball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small groupsAleighDined on 11/8/2014This was my second visit here. The first time I went, there were only 2 of us and we loved it. This time we had 6 and it was hard to cook all of the food. They sat us at a table with only 1 grill for 6 people even though I had made a reservation well in advance. On the way out, I noticed that other 6 tops had 2 grills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYoshiDined on 11/2/2014Totally good foods, but service is not so good. They seem not to know what really Japanese BBQ is. First things to serve came last. If you're familiar with them in Japan, you will feel a bit flustrated.Special Features:
- Skip the VegetablesCapriaDined on 10/7/2014Went with a friend this past week and was able to get right in. $5 Kirin drafts was a nice drink option. Food was okay. Next time I return I plan on skipping all the vegetable sides, they seemed bland and under marinated. Even dipping them in the sauces just didn't seem worth it. The meat however was wonderfully marinated and so delicious!! Next time I go I would probably just get protein for the grill and some rice and noodle sides. Service was pretty good, they forgot to bring us water at one point but otherwise attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014the food was good but I really don't know what to compare it to since this is the only Japanese BBQ I've been to. the service was disappointing, we asked several times to remove the empty plates and bowls; the server then took off looking for the bus person whom never came. we didn't receive the full order on the party plates and even the manager took a while to come to our table after asking for him/her..strange. the first time was a disappointment and so was attempt #2Special Features:
- great food and funWijiDined on 10/4/2014It was a pleasure dining there. We had a great time coking at the table and the food was fabulous. Happy to have this restaurant in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingotdiner2012VIPDined on 9/29/2014The steak had lots of grizzle. Spicy edamame and shrimp dumplings weren't good. Will not go back even though it is one of the few restaurants by the Library open on Mondays.
- Decent BBQ, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014I'm not sure if it's just growing pains, but the service was poor. My fiance's white wine came out warm the first time and then when she sent it back, it came out watered down as if they just tossed some ice in there and let it melt. Food quality and value was good, could have used a little finer management of the grill, or at least let us control the heat level. We are cooking the food!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceoutinfairmountDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our experience. It was our first time there and the manager, Karen I believe was her name, was great introduced herself and made us feel very welcomed. Food was very good and you managed not to smell after you left as the ventilation was amazing.Special Features:
- Enjoyed itiliketurtlesDined on 9/19/2014Fun cool place, food was very good. Enjoyed cooking your own food and nice to have good tasting fairly healthy choices.Special Features:
- poor service and less careangrychefDined on 9/10/2014Went to 20min early of my reservation and asked for seating. Receptionist told us to wait 10min for the table preparation so wait outside, but they never call us until we ask again. We had another 20-30min waiting time to get service. Nothing was good. Don't go there!
- Not impressedScottVIPDined on 9/3/2014If you want good Japanese food in Fairmount go across the street to Doma. After being seated we noticed some of our silverware was dirty and several plates still had soap and smelled like Clorox. The manager came to check on us and after telling him about the cleanliness he said "ok but how is everything else," clearly unaware that we had not received anything we ordered. The tables are not large enough for the number of seats surrounding them and the waiters bring out food without considering where the plates will go. Seemed very disorganized and poorly planned. The meat was okay however the veggies were tasteless and came in meager portions. We seemed to be paying a lot for food we cooked ourselves. If you like gimmicky things- go here.
- Not a fan of the welcome chantfoodiechickDined on 8/31/2014I felt like I was at a Moe's every time someone new walked in the door. Food was good. It's the sort of thing (like fondue or the Brazilian steakhouse) that I would probably only do once or twice, but it was fun and the service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014A fun place where you can cook your food over the grill set into your table. Wait staff super helpful and friendly. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Very goodIloveGyukakuDined on 8/29/2014We visited Gyu-kaku in Philadelphia twice so far. The foods are very good and the service is also nice. The server is friendly and keeps a good attention to the customer. The only thing that we noticed is that during the second visit, two rice was not delivered because the server forgot. That is the only concern. Overall, this restaurant is very good. We are likely coming back Gyu-kaku every month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an experience...watstreetdasonDined on 8/20/2014We went with a large group (8 people) on a Wednesday night for a birthday, with two gluten-free diners. I know that sounds like a nightmare, but half of us have worked in the restaurant industry so we can understand working the kinks out during the first month or so of opening. The food was great. I would definitely go back, but with less people however. The food is sent out tapas style but there was little direction and food runners were giving orders to the wrong people: Lack of communication between staff members. I felt VERY rushed through dinner, but then the check took forever to pay. I informed the server we had separate checks per couple at the beginning for his own ease, but the checks were initially mixed up. Kinks to work out.Special Features:
- Could Food Get Any Better?Duck4u11Dined on 8/20/2014My girlfriend and I heard about this place through one of our friends and thought we should try it out. The meal works A la carte and essentially most of the meat is beef. But you do have your choice of seafood or chicken. We ordered the Gyu-Kaku special which included an assortment of appetizers and their meats. The waitress was very helpful and taught us everything to know about the grill and cooking pointers for the meat. All the food we were given was so delicious and the meat was so tender it pulled right off after being cooked. We ate beyond being full and the dessert of s'mores was a good trademark to end the night. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanting to eat a very good meal. Just don't forget your wallet.Special Features:
- Cool Fun ExperiencePeachbabyVIPDined on 8/19/2014They have a grill in the center of the table and they bring the food out raw and you cook it on the grill. It's incredibly fun and different and the food/marinades was very delicious. It's not the best option if you have a healthy appetite because everything is al la carte and the slices of meat are thin so it cooks easily.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014Food and concept are good. Service still has some kinks to work out, but as the place is still new, hopefully they will get there. Some more vegetarian protein options would be a good addition to the menuI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and Delicious!opentablefanVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went to Gyu-Kaku to celebrate my son-in-law's graduation from Temple and enjoyed friendly, informative, amazingly helpful attention and service. What a treat! The food was memorable--we each ordered what we preferred and had plenty to eat. My baby grandson had a wonderful time too. Thanks to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but some bad servers.PickyEaterDined on 8/8/2014The food and the flavoring of it was great, the no smoke vent was great. I'm definitely going back. However, the server that served us, while very very kind, was very slow. We asked her to get us boxes and that took forever, other things also occasionally took a while. The black girl who was stirring our bibimbap kept spilling the rice off the edges, which is wasteful and literally just throwing away good food we paid for (the bibimbap was delicious). The store manager was a good woman, but when our grill started beeping of overheating, it seemed as if she didn't really have the ability to do anything about it. Overall, would definitely visit again for the food, but I hope the service becomes slightly more efficient by the next time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014I like the food and everything else there. But I think the servers should be trained more. Because I was there for Lady M Green Tea Crepe. However, when I asked my server if it is Lady M, he did not know. The server thought I have problem with my pronounciation, I said no, Lady M is a brand name. He said he will double check if the cake is Lady M, then he forgot, until I mentioned to him twice. I think the servers should be aware of the brand names that they are selling. Lastly, I was having hard time understanding their Japanese. The servers were screaming a whole bunch Japanese words. Some of the servers even pronounce it wrong. If you want to say it, say it correctly, or, it's a bit annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully just working out kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The service was very jumbled. The meat was served before our drinks came out, and the appetizers came out throughout the meal. Overall the food was good, but it did seem a bit costly, considering there are Korean BBQ places which basically provide the same food, but at almost half the cost. Overall not a bad place, but the food is a bit expensive and the value just doesn't seem to be there.
- New great placegwallDined on 8/2/2014Walking past this spot I was excited to see a new restaurant in my area! We tried it out that same night. Great concept and even better flavors. The drinks were "eh" and I was told by the waiter that the bartender was a little slower than normal (not something I would've shared if I were working there but hey points for honesty.) We ate there late on a Saturday night and it was pretty crowded. Definitely will return!Special Features:
- Splurge!TigresSKSVIPDined on 8/1/2014What a fabulous way to splurge! The Kobe Style Course was amazing: the most tender beef cuts! Served with fantastic miso soup (great base), a perfect mushroom packet (tender and really flavorful), sukiyaki bibimbap (a runner-up comfort food to mac'n'cheese!), and who doesn't love s'mores (when was the last time you had s'mores!)? Sauce-wise, I preferred the vinegar-based Ponzu sauce (spicy and house sauces were good, too). A nice addition to the "new" restaurant strip on Callowhill!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Really glad that we have more variety of dining in the area, the meats were tasty and fresh but the portions are very small, especially the vegetables. There is nothing much in those foils. Ambiance was great and being back for the second time in a week, service was still slow. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, things will pick up and be more orderly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Philadelphia reviews archive.