Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
70 West Green Street
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: (626) 405-4842
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–5pm (last call)
Mon-Sat: 5pm–11:30pm (last call)
Sun: 5pm–10:30pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: YOU!!
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Your party is our party. If we can assist you in any way to host a large party or special occasion dinner, please let us know. We offer custom-made prix fixe menus as well as tailored seating arrangements to best suit your needs. We are more than happy to work personally with you, step-by-step, to ensure that your party is a great one. However, our restaurant is not large, so please call in advance for large or private party requests to ensure space.
- Private Party Contact: James Kim, General Manager 6264054842
- Cross Street: De Lacey
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: VALET AVAILABLE: $7 with validation, $10 without.
PUBLIC PARKING AVAILABLE: The closest parking structure is location on DeLacey. The first ninety (90) minutes are free and then it costs $2 for each thirty (30) minutes thereafter with a $6 maximum.
Street parking is also available, though limited.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,’ inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can’t help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (52)late-night find (34)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (31)great for lunch (31)hot spot (27)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food and service top notchNikkoDined on 11/15/2014This was my 2nd time visting Gyu-Kaku and like the first time the food was amazing. i ordered the garlic fried chicken as well as the yabu shabu beef and some other meat and everything was delicious its also really fun cooking your own food with friends. something different than the usual dine in spots. I look forward to eating here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a let downJessDined on 11/14/2014I've been going to this Gyu kaku location for years and it hasn't let me down once! The service is always great, the servers are friendly and attentive, the food is always excellent, and the atmosphere of the place is always fun! The new bar area addition up front was a good call and I love their happy hour menu! This is a place I love to eat at with friends and I'll definitely be coming back for years to come :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant!!!mybossyworldDined on 11/12/2014This restaurant exceeded my expectations. I brought my partner here for his birthday. The drinks were awesome, we had a complete four-course meal and leftovers to take home! The price is within budget, the food was seasoned well, and they came out to sing him "Happy Birthday!" I'll definitely be back here just for the experience and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for birthdaysDinerloveDined on 11/8/2014Gyu Kaku is an excellent place to bring friends for a great celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Foodfood4youDined on 11/8/2014Food was great. Taste was on point.The food was great, and making reservations on line was easy and fast. When we arrived we waited maybe 10 min before we where seated. The table size was perfect for our party. When we arrived the waiter was friendly, but did not understand a word he said. His English was not very good, so it was a little difficult understanding him. Over all the food tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Groupspartyof3Dined on 11/8/2014Outstanding service, great food, great drinks. So much to choose from it hits the spot just right. Love this place and would highly recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:
- Night outPartyof4Dined on 10/31/2014Had an amazing experience last night. The food and service was great. We will definitely be back in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atypical VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/29/2014Food was great, as usual, but service was not good. Took asking several times to get each item. Not sure what was going on, but not a good experience this time around.Special Features:
- good servicebigtexDined on 10/24/2014had a reservation for 4 on Friday night at 1030pm and only had to wait 5 minutes to be seated....the other 2 people in our party were running late and the server was very understanding and patientSpecial Features:
- Janelle MartinezJammyJamDined on 10/3/2014I found this place online and me and my friends made reservations. Even though we were about 10 minutes late to our reservation they were still very nice about it and still had our table ready. The food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality is horribleNomnomfoodieDined on 10/1/2014Don't waste your money on poor quality I am sad to see this business sufferSpecial Features:
- Yummy BBQchompyDined on 9/26/2014Had the meat lovers combination for two on a date. The meats were terrific, as were most of the appetizers. A little weird to get an iceberg salad at the end of the process, but we just gave it to a homeless person walking home. Young and energetic crowd, though some were on their "away from my parents' eyes while spending their money" behavior. The servers were great and friendly, despite some of the non-sense they had to put up with. I'll go back again.Special Features:
- great foodengagedtomysouschefDined on 9/25/2014Had a date night with my fiancé and wanted to try something different. Food was really good and i love the concept of cooking my own food. Gives u plenty of time to chat and enjoy each others company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EunisDined on 9/18/2014They were too busy to give us full service during lunch hour. The waitress who served us was nice and explained menu in details short after we sat down. But she was also too busy to pay attention to us afterwards. Would like them to fill my glass more often because the BBQ made my throat very dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor food and servicefreedmlDined on 9/3/2014A Japanese BBQ lives or dies on the correct operation of grill at your table, and Gyu-Kaku died tonight. Not that they couldn't have saved it -- there were open tables and perhaps I should have demanded they move us after failing to repair our grill twice, but the food wasn't worth the bother. Yes, the marinades on the meat were nice, but the vegetables served in foil pouches also required cooking at the table and there was no way to know when they were done. We ordered one dish with 'cheese sauce'; a sit-down restaurant should do a lot better than cubes of Velveeta that you melt yourself in a disposable aluminum cup.Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Have been here a few times. Always good food and good drink specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDarkmoccaDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service. I would definetaly come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedUnhappyDined on 8/23/2014There were only 2 waiters for the entire restaurant. It took us 2 hours to finish a simple lunch. The meats are too salty. With the money they charge, the portion of food is too little. We paid $19.99 for 5 small pieces of Kobe beef (less than 4 oz) which is outrageously expensive! The asparagus was not trimmed and half of the asparagus were non edible. I would not return to this restaurant and I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Amazing service & nice staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014The service was great here. It was more casual than I expected, but they had a great happy hour. The food was good, but some of our meat had a hair in it :( they felt bad and replaced it immediately!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The flies killed it for usscvridersDined on 8/9/2014This place is pretty decent except for the flies we saw when we sat near the front window. They flew around our table, very inconvenient experience. The food took awhile to grill on our table, we turned it up to the highest setting but it wasn't much of a flame to cook our food.Special Features:
- not a fankcarpDined on 8/9/2014we went on date night and i probably should have walked out when we walked in. Very casual and kind of grungy scene.
- First TimersUSMC10NOV75Dined on 8/4/2014Invited some friends for first time and they wanted go back the following day. lol They loved the place, the food, and the servers were great.Special Features:
- Yummy!SamGDined on 8/2/2014I always enjoy this place. Great food! Tasty cocktails. Prices are reasonable. Only downside the grill at our table didn't work is we had to move. Also the waitress put our order in incorrect so we were served only a one person portion not 2. By then we were at the end of the meal and she asked if we wanted the other portion but we had other plans and couldn't stay. She apologized. It wasn't the greatest of experiences but I would eat here again and look forward to it. The people that work there are nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 798 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena reviews archive.
- Overall greatChargerGirlVIPDined on 7/22/2014Food is delicious... I'm addicted! Overall service is good! First time was eh but I went back and had a very good waitress.. Love this place! Just wish they'd bring in the $2 $3 $4 menu that the Valencia location offers...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Find in PasadenaJGilVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my first visit and I will definitely be back. The place was hopping. Limited wait to get seated. Great experience cooking your own food. Waitress was very helpful. Sake was hot and delicious. Excellent late night dinning choice for young and old alike. Can't wait to try their happy hour.Special Features:
- Hello?drool4BBQDined on 7/20/2014Service is sometimes sporadic.. I assume because they might not have enough workers? Food is good & staff is friendly and accommodating despite the somewhat lack of attention. Good variety of meat that is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timelovesnewthingsDined on 7/20/2014On Saturday it was my first time there! And so was all the other people in my parties first time as well. I must say it was amazing the service, the food, the price, and the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014The food and service are good. But the place is dirty. Restroom needs to be remodeled.Special Features:
- Bad experienceAbdullahDined on 7/19/2014The service was really bad and unprofessional, i Don't got Fried Calamari ( I asked the waiter for it and she told me it will be take a few minutes), and when i got the bill i found it. I had many mistake in my bill, delete calamari, chicken with cheese wrong price and double items which makes me delay for 35 minutes, and no waiter to serve me in area where i set. For what i had i don't give her tip, and i gonna never visit the Pasadena Gyu-kaku restaurant. Thanks
- Most enjoyable dinnerenjoygoodfoodDined on 7/18/2014Our waitress is most lovely and cheerful. The recommendation she gave was really appropriate for our party of 4. The quantity of food is just right and the variety of meat is most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Grilled meats & drinkingSkykDined on 7/15/2014If you like Korean BBQ, then this Japanese style hibachi restaurant is up your alley. The combo sets are a good deal, especially on week nights where they are 20% off. The $4.50 32 oz. mega Sapporo Draft happy hour special is worth coming in for by itself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour is always fun!WhatsNextDined on 7/6/2014PROS: Fun, great servers, HH deals are perfect. CONS: Long wait despite reservation, hostess is immature.Special Features:
- GreatCoraDined on 7/6/2014The lunch menu now costs about $10. We were 2 people, we both ordered the lunch menu, 3 drinks and an additional meat, which made it all together about 45. The beef and their sauces are great. Just remember to check the bill. They somehow miscalculated our bill.Special Features:
- LiankaDined on 7/4/2014I love type of the food and restaurant design. Every time i go gyu kaku i have a wonderful timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Din dinnomerzDined on 6/30/2014GYU-KAKU is one of my faves! Ordered the meat lovers dinner and absolutely loved it. They ran out of the garlic chicken wings though and got gyozas instead. Very comfortable dining and exquisite customer service! Our waitress was super friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tastyrin223Dined on 6/29/2014My family was joking that we ate enough meat to last us a year! The portions were generous for a very reasonable price. The experience of grilling the meat ourselves was new and fun! The meat was well-marinated with enough flavor on its own but there were lots of sauce choices as well. The waiters were friendly and attentive, this being our first time there. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People were friendly.CocoDined on 6/28/2014People who are working there are very friendly and they have good service. Also the cost is good. I like Gyukaku happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodsumolisaDined on 6/22/2014Made a reservation last minute for 2. We got there a bit early but they still sat us. Servers and hosts were very friendly and nice. Our service was very attentive and always came to ask if we needed anything. Great food and people :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceLuv2eatDined on 6/15/2014I know it is fathers's day but the service wa horrible. First , despite our reserved confirmation, we waited over 40 minutes but the worst was after 2 hours, all our food order was not served so we have to leave! This was the same few months ago so no more!
- Father's Day fun!FoodyfamDined on 6/14/2014Took my hubby here for his 1st Father's Day after visiting the Huntington. This restaurant is amazing! Happy prices can't be beat and it's happy hour Til 6:30 so u can have happy hour prices at dinner time hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.