Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
70 West Green Street
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 6264054842
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–5pm (last call)
Mon-Sat: 5pm–11:30pm (last call)
Sun: 5pm–10:30pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: YOU!!
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Your party is our party. If we can assist you in any way to host a large party or special occasion dinner, please let us know. We offer custom-made prix fixe menus as well as tailored seating arrangements to best suit your needs. We are more than happy to work personally with you, step-by-step, to ensure that your party is a great one. However, our restaurant is not large, so please call in advance for large or private party requests to ensure space.
- Private Party Contact: James Kim, General Manager 6264054842
- Cross Street: De Lacey
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: VALET AVAILABLE: $7 with validation, $10 without.
PUBLIC PARKING AVAILABLE: The closest parking structure is location on DeLacey. The first ninety (90) minutes are free and then it costs $2 for each thirty (30) minutes thereafter with a $6 maximum.
Street parking is also available, though limited.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,’ inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can’t help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (64)special occasion (43)great for lunch (42)fit for foodies (36)late-night find (33)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (26)great for brunch (16)romantic (13)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (1)Show More
- GreatDarkmoccaDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service. I would definetaly come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedUnhappyDined on 8/23/2014There were only 2 waiters for the entire restaurant. It took us 2 hours to finish a simple lunch. The meats are too salty. With the money they charge, the portion of food is too little. We paid $19.99 for 5 small pieces of Kobe beef (less than 4 oz) which is outrageously expensive! The asparagus was not trimmed and half of the asparagus were non edible. I would not return to this restaurant and I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Amazing service & nice staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014The service was great here. It was more casual than I expected, but they had a great happy hour. The food was good, but some of our meat had a hair in it :( they felt bad and replaced it immediately!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The flies killed it for usscvridersDined on 8/9/2014This place is pretty decent except for the flies we saw when we sat near the front window. They flew around our table, very inconvenient experience. The food took awhile to grill on our table, we turned it up to the highest setting but it wasn't much of a flame to cook our food.Special Features:
- not a fankcarpDined on 8/9/2014we went on date night and i probably should have walked out when we walked in. Very casual and kind of grungy scene.
- First TimersUSMC10NOV75Dined on 8/4/2014Invited some friends for first time and they wanted go back the following day. lol They loved the place, the food, and the servers were great.Special Features:
- Yummy!SamGDined on 8/2/2014I always enjoy this place. Great food! Tasty cocktails. Prices are reasonable. Only downside the grill at our table didn't work is we had to move. Also the waitress put our order in incorrect so we were served only a one person portion not 2. By then we were at the end of the meal and she asked if we wanted the other portion but we had other plans and couldn't stay. She apologized. It wasn't the greatest of experiences but I would eat here again and look forward to it. The people that work there are nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall greatChargerGirlDined on 7/22/2014Food is delicious... I'm addicted! Overall service is good! First time was eh but I went back and had a very good waitress.. Love this place! Just wish they'd bring in the $2 $3 $4 menu that the Valencia location offers...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Find in PasadenaJGilVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my first visit and I will definitely be back. The place was hopping. Limited wait to get seated. Great experience cooking your own food. Waitress was very helpful. Sake was hot and delicious. Excellent late night dinning choice for young and old alike. Can't wait to try their happy hour.Special Features:
- Hello?drool4BBQDined on 7/20/2014Service is sometimes sporadic.. I assume because they might not have enough workers? Food is good & staff is friendly and accommodating despite the somewhat lack of attention. Good variety of meat that is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timelovesnewthingsDined on 7/20/2014On Saturday it was my first time there! And so was all the other people in my parties first time as well. I must say it was amazing the service, the food, the price, and the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014The food and service are good. But the place is dirty. Restroom needs to be remodeled.Special Features:
- Bad experienceAbdullahDined on 7/19/2014The service was really bad and unprofessional, i Don't got Fried Calamari ( I asked the waiter for it and she told me it will be take a few minutes), and when i got the bill i found it. I had many mistake in my bill, delete calamari, chicken with cheese wrong price and double items which makes me delay for 35 minutes, and no waiter to serve me in area where i set. For what i had i don't give her tip, and i gonna never visit the Pasadena Gyu-kaku restaurant. Thanks
- Most enjoyable dinnerenjoygoodfoodDined on 7/18/2014Our waitress is most lovely and cheerful. The recommendation she gave was really appropriate for our party of 4. The quantity of food is just right and the variety of meat is most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Grilled meats & drinkingSkykDined on 7/15/2014If you like Korean BBQ, then this Japanese style hibachi restaurant is up your alley. The combo sets are a good deal, especially on week nights where they are 20% off. The $4.50 32 oz. mega Sapporo Draft happy hour special is worth coming in for by itself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour is always fun!WhatsNextDined on 7/6/2014PROS: Fun, great servers, HH deals are perfect. CONS: Long wait despite reservation, hostess is immature.Special Features:
- GreatCoraDined on 7/6/2014The lunch menu now costs about $10. We were 2 people, we both ordered the lunch menu, 3 drinks and an additional meat, which made it all together about 45. The beef and their sauces are great. Just remember to check the bill. They somehow miscalculated our bill.Special Features:
- LiankaDined on 7/4/2014I love type of the food and restaurant design. Every time i go gyu kaku i have a wonderful timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Din dinnomerzDined on 6/30/2014GYU-KAKU is one of my faves! Ordered the meat lovers dinner and absolutely loved it. They ran out of the garlic chicken wings though and got gyozas instead. Very comfortable dining and exquisite customer service! Our waitress was super friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tastyrin223Dined on 6/29/2014My family was joking that we ate enough meat to last us a year! The portions were generous for a very reasonable price. The experience of grilling the meat ourselves was new and fun! The meat was well-marinated with enough flavor on its own but there were lots of sauce choices as well. The waiters were friendly and attentive, this being our first time there. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People were friendly.CocoDined on 6/28/2014People who are working there are very friendly and they have good service. Also the cost is good. I like Gyukaku happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodsumolisaDined on 6/22/2014Made a reservation last minute for 2. We got there a bit early but they still sat us. Servers and hosts were very friendly and nice. Our service was very attentive and always came to ask if we needed anything. Great food and people :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceLuv2eatDined on 6/15/2014I know it is fathers's day but the service wa horrible. First , despite our reserved confirmation, we waited over 40 minutes but the worst was after 2 hours, all our food order was not served so we have to leave! This was the same few months ago so no more!
- Father's Day fun!FoodyfamDined on 6/14/2014Took my hubby here for his 1st Father's Day after visiting the Huntington. This restaurant is amazing! Happy prices can't be beat and it's happy hour Til 6:30 so u can have happy hour prices at dinner time hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gyu-kaku pasadenaanaluDined on 6/13/2014Love it! My friend's go to place!! Love the vibes. Food is delicious. Excellent drink specials, which is our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingmisskreneeDined on 6/4/2014Had an amazing birthday brunch here with my friends. food and drinks were good. loved the service. always be my fave spot to come to in pasadena.Special Features:
- Fun placekittyDined on 6/3/2014Fun place to hang w my family, but I personally wish they have more choices for healthier dishes, most of the food has butter even the vegetables and fish.Special Features:
- awesomegordislovesbeerVIPDined on 6/1/2014I love this place .best happy hours ever.my kids love this place so thats a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!tartineDined on 5/17/2014Great food as always, very good service...never had a drink run empty. Slow on a couple of the items ordered, but no big issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice restaurant!JauneDined on 5/14/2014This is a place to go for Japanese barbecue. I will return again and I'd bring new friends because its a place that needs to be tried at least once.Special Features:
- Great experienceMarie513Dined on 5/11/2014It's really fun to cook your own food. Service is great, it's not very expensive. The food is really good as well! I will visit again for sure! Great to come with a group of people, it's always a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful late night happy hourLuvgoodfoodDined on 5/11/2014Great food for late night!! Good service! I enjoyed the late night happy hour!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent job!eatingmachineDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I took my parents for mothers day, which was their first time ever at Gyu-Kaku. They loved every part of the dining experience that was presented. I really want to thank Bridget, our waitress, and the blonde hostess that not only sat us, but took care of my special requests with our reservation. You guys all went beyond you jobs for this special occasion and I thank each and every one of you. Special shout to Bridget again, who recommended a saki that my mom would no longer share with any of us after the first sip . LOL. It is nice to see an employee who not only knows the menu, but can also make good recommendations on items to their customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Customer ServiceLB14Dined on 5/11/2014The waiter dropped miso soup and sodas On us and the manager didn't even offer a discount. We didn't ask but it would have been the polite thing to do. Also the bill was closed out before we were done and no refills were given. Horrible experience.Special Features:
- Not the same as rancho gyu kakuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014There were not that many people there yet it took forever to get our drinks an food. The portions at the Pasadena gyu were way smaller then of rancho gyu.
- The following 769 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Pasadena reviews archive.
- Good timeLaurieSVIPDined on 5/3/2014Good food is fine. But to combine it with the fun of cooking it yourself it makes for a fun combination.Special Features:
- Great Food and great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Even though there are a couple of branches in the SFV, we still love going to pasadena. Service here is great and atmosphere is awesome. You can't beat the HAppy hour bucket special for 10 bucks!!! Try the Sake BOmb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So yummy!BrickwomanVIPDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I ate here on Friday evening. Terry was our waitress and she was great! Very attentive and nice without being phony. Everything was flavorful and we tried a few things that were new on the menu. I really like this location as it's energetic and in a great location.Special Features:
- Fun and interactive experienceTheoryLabsDined on 4/21/2014This is super fun experience, especially for visiting guests from small towns: Thinly sliced meats (and some veggies) are pre-marinated and brought to your table for guests to cook themselves over a cauldron-like grill. Its definitely a conversation starter and bonding experience for big groups or work friends, not so much romantic as the noise level is high-ish and you will constantly having staff pop by to check on you (which is good! ) Very attentive staff. Cons: Can get pricey, not many choices for vegetarians. Pros: Fun! Fun! Fun! and very tasty....Great for those who like a lot of variety and aren't shySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Loved the food, great place for groups, except it's a bit harder to cook everything on 1 grill lol had a fun birthday dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.