Gyu-Kaku - Houston
510 Gray St
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/tx/houston.htm
- Phone: 7137509520
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Houston
Gyu-Kaku is Japanese BBQ restaurant. Gyu-Kaku offers customers the opportunity to cook various cuts of beef, pork, poultry, seafood, vegetables and desserts on the specially designed in-table roasters that are designed to vent smoke through forced air openings built into the roaster. The menu also includes a variety of alcoholic (including "sake", or Japanese rice wine) and non-alcoholic drinks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gyu-Kaku - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (63)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (30)hot spot (27)great for lunch (23)neighborhood gem (18)kid-friendly (17)romantic (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great placeAmandaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great food,great drinks ! Love it and will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VenueMidtownDined on 9/17/2014Loved their lunch specials; friendly and knowlegable staff; great atmosphere.Special Features:
- great for older childrenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014My 14 year old actually put down his phone to eat. That is the ultimate compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimehbhoneyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a great time on Friday and the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- mostly goodDessert4DinnerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Thought everything was great, but we were missing quite a bit of food. I ordered both the special courses as well as a few a la carte menu items. None of the a la carte menu items came, and a few items from the special courses were missing. There were so many dishes served at once that I didn't realize this until after the bill. I wasn't charged for the a la carte items, but I'm a little bummed I didn't all the items from the special courses that I paid for.Special Features:
- Need more/better staffshoustonoxanDined on 9/3/2014I went there on Tuesday evening with my girlfriend. We are a big fan of Gyu-kaku Chicago (service, food, price, everything is amazing...), and were expecting that we have the same experience here in Houston. Our expectation was only a half satisfied. The problem was they were obviously understaffed, and the waiters/waitresses were not really attentive. We needed to check with them for several times for dishes that hadn't arrived for very long time. The grill at the table was half-broken (the fire had to be kept at max or it turned off). When we pointed out to a waitress, she just said "Really? Oh, it seems true" and didn't do anything to it. Food was really good though.Special Features:
- Fun & DeliciousindiestarDined on 8/26/2014I am so thrilled about this little gem in midtown. The food is wonderful - both the dishes you "cook" yourself on the grill in the middle of the table and the a la carte items off the menu. The garlic noodles, in particular, are amazing. The lunch specials are a great deal - soup, salad, proteins, rice, etc. for $12-$13 - very good deal.Special Features:
- Fun while cooking your own foodTXFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was a fun experience of grilling our own meats and eating at the pace we wanted to. Very enjoyable and would come back again.Special Features:
- Food was great. Service was bad.JJ31Dined on 8/16/2014We have been to Gyu-kaku several times but this is the first time we had it on dinner. And especially on Saturday dinner I did not give high expectation on services. It was crowded and but fortunately we had reservation and did not waited too long to be seated. Our server was a girl and she seems nice in the beginning. However, when food comes up she never had chance to serve us... Beer never come until we remind her, water never been filled up until check came up.. Our meal comes with two bowls of rice and it never came until the 3rd meat cooked... There is a skinny Asian manager guy that he always gives out the attitude, and never smile. Overall food was great, meat is tender and juicy. I strongly recommend to visit this place at lunch.Special Features:
- Fun...if you have some extra timecindyDined on 8/15/2014My son loved their miso soup and getting to cook his own food but was disappointed in the place not having sushi or Ramune. I LOVED their salad. Service was SLOW considering they are just bringing raw meat to the table....Special Features:
- Worst dining experience ever.jetsetterDined on 8/6/2014I made a reservation 10 min before arrival, and it was not honored. The blond hostess was kurt and rude and did not honor our reservation. She said it didn't count because I just made it. The restaurant was on a wait. However, if there were no tables available then don't have any slots on open table every 15 min starting from 815 to 930 that I saw. I will never go back there. We had to wait an hour for the table. The whole eating experience took 2 hours which is absurb for a restaurant that's just a glorified genghis grill.
- Like Korean BBQ but less smellySeekingGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/3/2014It was a very similar to experience to Korean BBQ but the nice thing is that I didn't smell completely like BBQ afterwards, and it felt less greasy. Our family enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Yum!!jmonsterDined on 8/1/2014Absolutely love! Wait staff was awesome and good was amazing! Only thing I would comment about would be the wait time. Be sure to reserve a table ahead of time on a busy night and get there early. There were people waiting for two hours without reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Excellent BBQ! Very flavorful at reasonable prices. Like jApanese tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes you must tryFuzzyVIPDined on 7/28/2014Went out of curiosity. I go to the local Korean BBQ, wanted to see how Japanese was different. Most Korean places that I go for BBQ are hole in the walls. Upon entering, I have to say the decor was great. Simple, clean but rich. Had a group of 6 and sat around a table with a pit in the middle. Ordered a variety of things and waited to start cooking. The grill got hot fast and cooking was so easy. Started with some shrimp. OMG it was unreal. So was every meat to follow. The marinades must be the secret, because there was so much flavor and the quality of meat was great as everything was chewable and easy to eat. Started as just the new place and now it is a must go! PS-Did not like the sushi item on appetizer menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boyfriend's birthdayRestaurantWhoreDined on 7/26/2014Great and unique experience. Took my bf here for his birthday. What a surprise! Great staff and food. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ConceptDpod26Dined on 7/25/2014We arrived and were seated in 5 mins thanks to our reservation. Food was good, cooking was easy and the servers gave us clear instructions on how to cook. Service was very slow though, it took a while to receive our check. Also, parking in their lot is impossible at peak times so plan on street parking. Other than that, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cultural conceptJhouDined on 7/20/2014Good spot to experience new food and culture! For those who would like to experience Japan without springing for the flight this is the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Korean BBQ instead!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014So disappointed. BBQ was not good at all. Korean BBQs around the Long point area are much better. We won't come back to this place, Sorry!Special Features:
- Delicious, tad noisyClintDined on 7/17/2014The food is absolutely delicious and the grilling on your own is really fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese BBQ in H-Town!SushiLoverVIPDined on 7/12/2014A very well-executed experience in Japanese BBQ. This is my first experience with it in the States, and Gyu-Kaku is much nicer than the place I've frequented in Japan. The food was excellent, I highly recommend the garlic shrimp. I'd skip Chicken if you're ordering plenty, we ended up enjoying our smores desert and skipping the chicken altogether.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Timemiked32Dined on 7/6/2014If you're looking for a fun atmosphere with a group of friends, this is a great spot. They have an assortments of different types of meats and veggies to grill. It keeps everyone at the table busy and away from their phones, bringing a much friendlier and lively atmosphere than most restaurants. Food was good, nothing was disappointing, and the servers were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Good but kind of SaltySuuuDined on 7/5/2014First time being at a Yakiniku place in US. I was a bit nervous of how it would turn out. Look: Restaurant had nice interior design/ individual booths type of seating. Food: I got the 60$ set menu for 2 people. The amount of food per plate for the meat is very little so I would recommend getting 2-3 plates/person. The set menu has enough food to fill you up. Meat: Tasted good but way too salty for me. I drank about 3-4 cups of water to just down the meat. Desert: Menu came with Smores. It was kind of cute but the chocolate/ gram crackers tasted old. Service: Very nice. Gyu-kaku is a bit on the pricier side for a yaki-niku type of food. And if they can lower the saltyness, I might come back...For now, I'm sticking to Korean BBQ places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Services are really good.OwltwDined on 7/1/2014The receptionist is nice and our server is very gentle and kind. I give their services 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatmarciotykDined on 6/28/2014Great food and nice ambience. Try the Kobe beef and the tongueSpecial Features:
- Family placeTammiVIPDined on 6/27/2014If you're looking for a hot spot, this is NoT it! I would come here with kids or for lunch. Food is so so; too bad there isn't a Benihana's close by.Special Features:
- ZoezoemomoDined on 6/27/2014Price is reasonable. Food tastes good. Server explained how to cook.Special Features:
- Meats GaloreXtieVDined on 6/27/2014Huge selection of meat and the recommended marinade for each cut was perfect. It is on table cooking so beware with children. Recommended cooking times are clearly explained by the server. Service is super fast and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQaddictDined on 6/23/2014love their BBQ! I went on a friday without reservations and was told we had to wait 1.5 hours. made reservation the following week and upon arrival was shown a table right away on a midweek dinner. they really should offer lunch sets for the office worker crowd! I love the lunch sets they offer in Chicago.Special Features:
- Good timeKongkhiDined on 6/22/2014Great food and fast service. Food came out in small portion (5-6) slices. Req. spicy tuna, harami steak and New York steak if you like it with favor on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BBQ with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/22/2014Have been many times to this franchise in Hawaii and California and its finally made its way to Texas. Had an awesome meal there last night. Food was excellent, service was superb . Great for Date night and something different. Try the Hanger Steak with Miso. OMG to die for. Finish the night off with Smore's over the grill. Nice touch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!ckingDined on 6/20/2014Great new place to try out. Will definitely return. Fun way of eating out.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014This was a great dining experience. Went with friends, prices are reasonable! We have drinks, appetizers, entree and dessert for $100 (there was 4 of us) Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014We went there with my cousin and his son. Nice interactive experience. The menu is a bit overwhelming -seems like they have everything. We just went with one of the set meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- partyof4Dined on 6/7/2014It was a fun night, but the tables are large and with the noise level, it is really hard to talk to your dining companion.Special Features:
- Don't expect too much.EnragetheskyDined on 6/5/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. We both love Japanese food and were excited to try a BBQ place equivalent to Korean BBQ. As the food was just okay, the staff was less than expected. I was first greeted by the hostess in a rude fashion. She looked at my wife, told her she was pretty, then looked at me and told me not to mess up the relationship. I was offended. That is none of her business and her statement was sexist. Next problem was the service. Ordered many things and they just did not come to the table. Took the staff (more than one I might add) 30 mins to bring me a drink to the table. Food was just okay, nothing I would go out of my way again to try. Sorry to say this, but the restaurant was just not enjoyable.Special Features:
- Delicious grilled meatBestBibNTuckerDined on 6/5/2014First time trying Japanese BBQ so we chose the fixed price meat lovers menu. Appetizers and salad were all tasty though the cheese wontons could have been crisper. But then the meat arrived and the meal really began. The marinades and flavors were all very different but so good! Cooking it yourself is easy when the cuts are so tender and it's a lot of fun as well. And then s'mores for dessert - what else could you want? The restaurant is still new and finding its feet but the staff are working hard and eager to please. No complaints with our service even though they were clearly busy. Will definitely be back soon. A great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewjayteeDined on 5/30/2014this place is great, but there are a lot of flaws that are strictly opinion based. this place is located in downtown of course, the parking lot which is shared with the much crowded buffalo wild wings is very small. finding a parking spot is next to impossible. everyone is fighting for it, an advice is to not visit this place during sports events in which BWW is jammed pack with patrons. right across the street there is a paid parking..... $10... are u kidding me? even with a reservation, although it was friday towards 8:30 pm we still didnt get to sit until 9:06. in which its plainly a first come first serve basis. the reservation does not entitle you to get the table before the walk ins. great food overall, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had reservation at 8pjsfirstmDined on 5/30/2014We had a reservation at 8pm and around 9pm still wasn't seated. Management seems unorganized.
- waitingtoolongVIPDined on 5/30/2014food was pretty good but even we made reservation, we had to wait for almost an hour. So what's the point having reservations? They need to make priorities for people who made reservations to begin with....