Gyu-kaku - Cupertino
19620 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 150
Cupertino, CA 95014Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-kaku - Cupertino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/ca/cupertino.htm
- Phone: 4088650149
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30AM–4PM (last call)
Sun–Thu 4PM–10:30PM (last call)
Fri & Sat 4PM–12AM (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gyu-kaku - Cupertino
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of ‘shared plates,' inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can't help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Gyu-kaku - Cupertino - Best Restaurants in Cupertino ›
Gyu-kaku - Cupertino reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (30)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (18)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (4)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Perfect first dateAJbabyDined on 10/1/2014Came here for happy hour (which is only $3 for their soju cocktails and mixers). My date had stella beers for under $3 each as well. Our server was kind, the meat tasted great and it's perfectly located next to Verde for a boba drink afterwords. Will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceCharileDined on 9/28/2014A little costly even during happy hours but service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need better antennaNeedrecessionDined on 9/19/2014When you in the restaurant internet is very bad. Now they have apps on the phone to get your promo code. You have to leave the restaurant to get code and come back to restaurant and show the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014Best value at happy hour. Our server Philip was amazing and gave us great recommendations for our first time there. Extra points on letting us know when happy hour was almost done and a heads up that something was going to be charged at a non-happy hour price. Another plus is you don't end up smelling like smoke afterwards compared to Korean bbq.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and nice serviceRitaDined on 9/7/2014As title food tasty and good service will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with food and fire ...AnniversaryCoupleDined on 8/25/2014This place is such a fun way to dine with friends! Choose from many meat, seafood, or vegetable items and cook them yourself on your own grill. Everything was delicious, and this is now a must do place whenever I'm in the area visiting.Special Features:
- Group HitkaasbijvsDined on 8/2/2014I frequently bring groups of 4-6 people here. It's *always* a hit; everyone loves how amazing the meats are. Of particular note: Spicy Pork...order it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014This place is great for foodies and service is great. It, however, is noisy so it might be hard to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotDazzlezookDined on 7/14/2014First time eating lunch at Gyu-kaku. Not as crowded and noisy as the dinner hour. Food still good although a bit expensive for lunch. However a nice change in pace and great for a group outing. Portions are not consistent.Special Features:
- very accomodatinglkaoDined on 7/11/2014We were late by 10 minutes due to traffic. They still take us in. This is not common for Japanese restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive to get fullSwindledDined on 7/11/2014This place was good but very pricey if you want to get full. Plus the waiter ordered the wrong expensive dish for us. We ordered the Kalbi short rib for $8.95 but Peter gave us the Kobe Kalbi for $19.95 instead. We had to pay at least $22 more than expected. He really should have verified our order. We were very unhappy. It basically spoiled our whole dining experience because we had to pay so much money. The food was good but the portions were very small. It took a lot to get full and I'm not a big person. I'm actually a petite Asian female.Special Features:
- tastee goooodd, but priceyWindowGodDined on 7/10/2014basically all i need to say is in the title. It's not a place you go when you're on a tight budget. It's not super expensive, but be prepared to pay some money 20-30$ about. The food is good though.Special Features:
- The following 167 reviews are from the Gyu-kaku - Cupertino reviews archive.
- Still the best japanese restaurantTemennigruDined on 6/24/2014Ever since me and my friends discovered this place, it has been our favorite restaurant even though we live in brazil. Each table has it's own grill and you order a plate of food to put on it. Every single dish at gyu-kaku is simply delicious, but i do recommend the toro beef. It is bovine bacon and it is lighter than pork bacon, it is soft and delicious and it is cheap as hell ($4 a plate at happy hour).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceHungryDinerVIPDined on 6/4/2014Food was tasty as usual and service was better than previous visits. They really need to thoroughly clean booths and surfaces between patrons - two seperate tables had gunk, chunks and crusty bita of food and sauce on them. Almost ruined my appetite.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2014The food was good but the grill was not hot enough and took way too long to cook as a result.
- GyuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Food - Very tasty and prices are not bad especially during happy hour. Service - Great friendly service Wait time - During my first visit here I waited about 1 and 1/2 hour and I was told it would be faster if I made reservations. I made reservations on my second visit at 10pm and did not get seated until 10:30pm.Special Features:
- so so qualityfrenchphdscientistDined on 5/23/2014This is not exactly the same as Gyu-Kaku in Japan in terms of quality and service likely due to the people working there who don't fully understand what the Yakiniku is, but still can be a good choice if you eager to have some Japanese style Korean BBQ.Special Features:
- really good, but priceyWindowGodDined on 5/16/2014if price isn't an issue for you, it's really f'ing good and worth. It's quality food, in my opinion.Special Features:
- Must try!!!Got2goDined on 5/16/2014I love this place! Me and my bf go here to feast on food and have fun cooking together at the same time. Great quality in meat and service is always fast & friendly :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends get togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Awesome for friends reuniting over the grill. Getting the meat aroma all over ya. Is the money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Liked it!HiddenSkyeDined on 5/7/2014I really liked this place - Would definitely come again, especially for happy hour :DSpecial Features:
- Meal for 3 or 4RobbVIPDined on 5/2/2014Well the meals for three should be definitely enough for 4 people. We were warned that it might be too much food when we ordered, but we were hungry. However, food piled up and there was no way to try and eat properly as we felt rushed and ended up leaving without finishing everything. Good value overallSpecial Features:
- MooberDined on 4/19/2014This was our 2nd time here. Made an early 5pm reservation and still had to wait. The service wasn't as good this time not as attentive. The table next to us kept trying to flag down a waiter. Although it was stated in the Opentable reservation that this was a birthday celebration, the wait staff had to be reminded. The food and drinks were good, so we were pleased with the meal. Glad that our first time here was great otherwise, we probably wouldn't return.Special Features:
- For the DIY food dinersmemoriesineyesDined on 4/10/2014Great place to eat, whether it's your first time or a returning customer! You cook your food on your own, are provided high quality meats and are informed by the great and friendly servers. The meats marinated or not taste great with their sauces and their happy hour menu is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty cocktails and tastier meatsHungryDinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014If you love fatty, flavorful barbeque, definitely go to Gyu-kaku. The happy hour prices vary depending on the day of the week, so keep that in mind. Many of the appetizers and vegetables aren't particularly flavorful or special enough to warrant stocking up on, so pick and choose. Portions are modest (3 ounces on average) so don't feel shy on ordering multiples. The juicy cuts with marbleized meats are succulent and the garlic noodles are really as good as people say. Skip the ramen noodles and the disappointing chili dumplings (cold and bland). The wine/lemonade happy hour drink is the best (ask for slightly more lemonade for a smooth taste) and if you have room for dessert, make sure to grill your fish cake as opposed to having it fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Favorite!archulettuceDined on 3/30/2014My dining experience here was great! The service and atmosphere was wonderful. And the food was outstanding! Definitely a favorite restaurant of mine, being new to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time at Gyu-KakuMooberDined on 3/28/2014We celebrated a birthday at Gyu-Kaku and we had a great time. We made an early dinner reservation and arrived during Happy Hour which was great. The food was tasty, but we loved the Spicy pork and the Tofu cakes the best. Also, had a few drinks a piece. It didn't seem like a lot of food, but we all left quite full. Would definately return again.Special Features:
- Good place for dinneraaronVIPDined on 3/4/2014their service is good and the food you cook it yourselfSpecial Features:
- Fun food!OutOntheTownDined on 3/1/2014Order lots of small dishes then you get to cook the items on a small table BBQ. We made a reservation and were seated immediately. This was our second visit and other than the noise level, everything was fabulous. My favorites edamame, beef & rice, kobe beef, cheese corn, and yummy s'mores for dessert! Service was great and food came out quickly. Tips: Be sure to check out their Happy Hour Specials and make a reservation or you'll be waiting at least an hour for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family-Style Table-GrillingmlttanakaDined on 3/1/2014What I like best about GyuKaku besides their great food is that everyone at the table can cook the meal. I don't know, but this is intensely satisfying. GyuKaku's menu is a little overwhelming - so many things to choose from, but they never fail to deliver excellent cuts of beef and produce for you to dine on. The staff is very attentive and always offer helpful tips for cooking. I also highly recommend the taitaki for dessert. So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/16/2014Love the Gyu-kaku chain. We love the different types of meat available and different side dishes. There is something for everyone. We've been there several times and each time does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Pleasant and enjoyableGAJ2Dined on 2/14/2014We went for a Valentine's day dinner. The special menu was $80 per couple and included meat and vegetable dishes and dessert. The food was good and fun to cook on the grill in the middle of the table. We rated the ambience down because we were seated by the garbage can and it was a little noisy. Otherwise it was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2014Always a great experience at Gyu-Kaku. Since moving to Santa Clara, we have been here 3 times within a 2 week span because we love the people and the food. Mondays are the best day ever because of ALL DAY Happy Hour! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and unique - go after 9pm Tu-ThJerryVIPDined on 2/5/2014Great appetizers, yummy food. If you go after 9pm from Tues-Thur, it's happy hour prices (usually 1-2 dollars less per dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.DaFoodieVIPDined on 2/1/2014Our server Ross was great; he was very personable and welcoming. He and others on the team stopped by frequently to ensure our drinks were re-filled, and dishes were cleared Timing and delivery of items ordered on our visit was well paced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will need to order a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2014You will need to order a lot of dishes to leave feeling full.Special Features:
- good food and servicedebbyDined on 12/25/2013Went for Xmas Day dinner. The hostess was not trained very well since she totally ignored us for about 10-15 minutes even though we had a reservation. It didn't give me a very good impression at first especially since I have been to Gyu-kaku in Hawaii which has always been good. The food and the service was very good after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeJYoonDined on 12/18/2013Had a good time and the food was good. Server was very nice and eager to help. Good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter came to our tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013The waiter came to our table and said he will change grill a few times but never came back to change. Our meat was burned.Special Features:
- Great Japanese BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2013Awesome place with great food and very friendly services! One of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.