Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
210 E. Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: (312) 266-8929
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
Gyu-Kaku Chicago is all about fun and food. You are your own chef, cooking tasty morsels perfectly to your liking, right there at your table. It is an ideal way to share a meal with family and friends. Gyu-Kaku has a variety of original sauces which it uses as marinades and provides for basting of its select meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables. Grilled by the customer over a glowing charcoal brazier, each item becomes a unique and delectable taste experience. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (111)fit for foodies (93)great for lunch (61)special occasion (58)hot spot (57)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (34)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (18)vibrant bar scene (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Yummy! Gyu Kaku is simply delicious.shau2Dined on 11/21/2014For anyone who has not visited Gyu Kaku, please go visit it. Their food is amazingly delicious. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Even though I submitted our reservation via Open Table, they had NO record of our reservation. Nevertheless we were seated in a timely fashion. I'd hate to think what we would have had to deal with had the restaurant been super crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!Awesomeness209Dined on 11/14/2014I took my son to dinner for his Honor Roll report card. We were escorted to the third floor and we just loved it. The whole experience he just loved. We had to take our shoes off and sit and eat with chop sticks! The serivce and server were wonderful!Special Features:
- First time there...not our last!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014All I can say is that everything about this restaurant was great! A friend and I had a reservation for 6:30pm and made it a little bit early. We were actually seated by 6:20. Our waiter was very prompt, pertinent, and friendly! All food was fresh and delicious (including appetizers and drinks)! The bill plus tip came to about $85.00 which wasn't bad considering the tsunami of food we ate! This time around we went for a birthday celebration but we'll definitely be back for casual dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun!foodluverchiDined on 11/8/2014We had so much fun going to this restaurant! We went for my friends birthday and the hostess was very accommodating with changing around the checks and have great suggestions! Everything was delicious and it was so much fun to cook your own dinner. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AriaDined on 11/7/2014Brought a couple friends here for their birthday and they enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceMmmlDined on 11/3/2014The server was soooooooo bad! He made so loudly noise beside my seat. He was impatient. We ordered a cup of coca through another sever when our server was not there. Then, when our sever severed that drink, he said : you order a coca? Yes!!! I order a coca! Why don't you just say: this is your coca????Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2014The happy hour deals are fantastic! We had the samurai course and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunger waitssamsDined on 11/1/2014Great place to sit , try to chat over the loud music and depending on you group size place a few morsels of meat to cook. Not a huge cooking surface so be patient or eat before ! Helpful staff 5 people do not sit comfortably at a 4 top.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Great food and atmosphere! Plan to spend at least an hour there though. Nice serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Love2EatDined on 10/31/2014My partner and I had the Samurai Course on the waiters recommendation and it was amazing!! I thought we were going to leave hungry, but we ended up having more food than we expected. The service was great, attentive and friendly! The bill was a bit expensive, around $100 for two people, but worth every single penny!! The food was exquisite and cooked so fast! This place has become an instant favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBq was good other things notEilleenbVIPDined on 10/30/2014I could be wrong but these place sold itself as Japanese Bbq. Apps and dessert were Japanese. But bbq seemed Korean as they had the Kalbi. I am not that verse in do I can be wrong. The miso soup was lukewarm and gyoza had no flavor. The garlic fried rice wasn't so great either. But if it's you first time doing the BBQ it does have a good selection of meats. I love Kalbi and it was good. And it's the main attraction. So come here if you want to try it. However The atmosphere and service was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysRBKDDined on 10/29/2014Restaurant was awesome as always. The bartender was friendly and courteous. The waiter did a great job (restaurant is self serving/cooking) so most of the work is done by patrons. But the attention and professionalism was very evident. One of my favorite restaurants in Chicago (they are located in other places like NYC and LA)Special Features:
- Unique eating experience with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Loved the location and service. First time to this style of restaurant and loved it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I love GYU-KAKU!!! The food is amazing and the service is great. I recommend it to everyone I know and I take all of my friends there to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK ...makeyournumbazDined on 10/11/2014Ate here on Sunday night. Not sure what I was expecting, but was generally underwhelmed with the whole experience. The food was good, as was the Kirin, but the overall experience was as titled ... just ok. Our server, Ricky, was great. Very attentive, impressive given the size of his serving area. I would characterize this as closer to a "food court" meal vs proper dining.
- Great as AlwaysRBKDDined on 10/8/2014Food and service is always great and the experience of cooking in an intimate setting with top notch meats, seafood and vegetables is extraordinary. Now cooking can be fun and can't complain about how food is cooked!! if so, it's your fault! lolSpecial Features:
- Always greatMrskrysVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've only been here for dinner, but this spot is great for a date, dinner with friends, or your in-laws. The food is always delicious, drinks are great. And it is very reasonably priced. Their pre-fix meals are perfect to try a bit of everything, especially if you've never been there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceLordPistyDined on 10/1/2014Loved the food: the meat was so tender and good. great service and environment as well: would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- ChristyDined on 9/29/2014I had a top boss from oversea visiting me, so I asked for the better located table for 4 , -- they seated us at a table facing restrooms entrance. They have moved us after a request, but it was most inconsiderate gesture I ever experienced. There were plenty of other tables available.
- Amazing, as usual!JWalkVIPDined on 9/29/2014We try to get here about once a month. The food is always great, meat is fresh and tasty. They play a super random (awesome) mix of 90's music. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Third time here, very pleased while introducing it to our friends who have never been. Somehow, we managed to spend less while ordering more food (of comparable prices, all from the Happy Hour menu) than last time dining with the same number of people... surely can't complain about that! My favorite cuts are still the bistro hangar steak (over the similar cut of harami skirt steak) and kalbi short rib (#2 highly recommended). My friends also really enjoyed the spicy pork, so we ordered a second serving of it. The Gyu-kaku Nigori sake complemented the meats very well. We left happy with warm stuffed bellies and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for evening diningCraigSDined on 9/27/2014This was my 3rd time to Gyu Kaku and the atmosphere, food and service were great. The only complaint I had is some of the meat choices we received were fatty. next time I'll stick to the sirloin and filet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the city to bring out of town guests. Awesome food, awesome experience.Special Features:
- WowGorgeMe1Dined on 9/21/2014I did not think this would be my thing. Do not underestimate how great the experience of grilling your own meats and seafood can be. This place was fun, conducive to drinking lots of beer, etc. Great place to go with a friend and get stuffed.Special Features:
- First TimeYummyDined on 9/20/2014This place was recommended by a friend. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was great! They have a 'top ten' list and we tried a few things off there. Ordered seconds of the #1. That skirt steak was great, so was the scallops and asparagus and garlic rice! They have some fun, good priced drinks too. Waiter was fantastic, even changed out our grill top. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Been coming here for yearsMimiDined on 9/19/2014Love it love it love we found this awesome place on groupon years ago and I introduced it to all of my friends and even a few co workers I absolutely love the spicy tuna volcano. I even came here twice this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty lousyjeffVIPDined on 9/18/2014Been to Gyu-kaku many times but this last trip was really bad. The ribeye and filet minion were poorly cut; both were extremely fatty and didn't cook well. When they waitress came by to see how everything was, I let her know the ribeye was nearly all fat and the filet was tough and not flavorful. She said "that's ok" and walked away. I will not be returning.
- Great food but not the serviceFFandJJVIPDined on 9/17/2014A regular at Gyu-Kaku, food has always been great but the service definitely needs improvement. The servers aren't attentive and it happened past few times I dined in; server seems to be rushing us off, grill not changed, etc. Would still recommend to friends but sure hope to see improvement on their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small servingsFiftycentiDined on 9/9/2014The food was deliciously seasoned, but the portions were too small. I spent $46.00 and was still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSpringfieldDined on 9/6/2014Great place for a unique dining experience where you cook your own meal on a hot grill at the center of your table Great for families or groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the food!!KIPeelerDined on 9/6/2014This was my second visit to Chicago this year and I went to Gyu-Kaku just like the last time. The food was as great as the previous time, and I really enjoyed the unique experience of Japanese BBQ again. The vegetables and meats were very fresh and tasty as well as their salad and appetizer that came with the dinner meal.Special Features:
- Fun to cook on the grillsRachelVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place was great for what it's known for, cooking food on the grills. I felt the sushi and other non-grilled items just weren't quite as good. Also the menus and atmosphere is a little gimicky, but not horrible. The service was overall good, but we felt a little rushed. Didn't stop us from just enjoying ourselves after the check came though. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Meatlovers paradiseEnjoyGr8CuisineDined on 9/5/2014If you like quality, thinly sliced meats this is the place to be. On top of that you cook your own food on the grill in the middle of the table. The various types of sake's are well worth a try. The overall dining experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese BBQcalishVIPDined on 9/4/2014My bf and his friends decided to go to some Korean BBQ on a Thursday night but at the end we decided to try this Japanese BBQ better because they been there before and reviews are great. To be honest at the beginning I thought it was going to be very expensive because it was in the heart of downtown but it was actually good price. We got a deal for $55.00 and few extra stuff we bought on the side and was so much food. This place was AWESOME and the kobe steak was so good. This is one of those place that I must take everyone that comes visit chicago totally worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing meet qualityJapaneseDined on 8/30/2014I visited Gyu-Kaku a dozen times before. My this particular visit was so disappointing. Filet mignon tasted old. Thin meet was not juicy. Everything but the fresh Karubi was not as good as before.Special Features:
- Gyukaku Chicago829NikuDined on 8/23/2014A great restaurant for a night out when you want to include everyone in the experience. The staff are friendly and attentive. If you haven't had Japanese Korean style BBQ (yakiniku) this is a good baptism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different, something funfoodieFattyVIPDined on 8/21/2014I love this spot! Your able to order multiple items and share the Collin experience. I'm a huge fan if the pork belly, how can you go wrong?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in chicagoRBKDDined on 8/19/2014Best place in chicago...hands down!! Could eat there everyday and each time something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast!foodloverDined on 8/18/2014My daughter found this place and took me for my birthday and I had a Blast! The food, service, vibe was a wonderful experience. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.