Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
210 E. Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 3122668929
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
Gyu-Kaku Chicago is all about fun and food. You are your own chef, cooking tasty morsels perfectly to your liking, right there at your table. It is an ideal way to share a meal with family and friends. Gyu-Kaku has a variety of original sauces which it uses as marinades and provides for basting of its select meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables. Grilled by the customer over a glowing charcoal brazier, each item becomes a unique and delectable taste experience. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (111)fit for foodies (83)great for lunch (61)special occasion (61)hot spot (60)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (34)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (21)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just OK ...makeyournumbazDined on 10/11/2014Ate here on Sunday night. Not sure what I was expecting, but was generally underwhelmed with the whole experience. The food was good, as was the Kirin, but the overall experience was as titled ... just ok. Our server, Ricky, was great. Very attentive, impressive given the size of his serving area. I would characterize this as closer to a "food court" meal vs proper dining.
- Always greatMrskrysVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've only been here for dinner, but this spot is great for a date, dinner with friends, or your in-laws. The food is always delicious, drinks are great. And it is very reasonably priced. Their pre-fix meals are perfect to try a bit of everything, especially if you've never been there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceLordPistyDined on 10/1/2014Loved the food: the meat was so tender and good. great service and environment as well: would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- ChristyDined on 9/29/2014I had a top boss from oversea visiting me, so I asked for the better located table for 4 , -- they seated us at a table facing restrooms entrance. They have moved us after a request, but it was most inconsiderate gesture I ever experienced. There were plenty of other tables available.
- Amazing, as usual!JWalkVIPDined on 9/29/2014We try to get here about once a month. The food is always great, meat is fresh and tasty. They play a super random (awesome) mix of 90's music. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Third time here, very pleased while introducing it to our friends who have never been. Somehow, we managed to spend less while ordering more food (of comparable prices, all from the Happy Hour menu) than last time dining with the same number of people... surely can't complain about that! My favorite cuts are still the bistro hangar steak (over the similar cut of harami skirt steak) and kalbi short rib (#2 highly recommended). My friends also really enjoyed the spicy pork, so we ordered a second serving of it. The Gyu-kaku Nigori sake complemented the meats very well. We left happy with warm stuffed bellies and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for evening diningCraigSDined on 9/27/2014This was my 3rd time to Gyu Kaku and the atmosphere, food and service were great. The only complaint I had is some of the meat choices we received were fatty. next time I'll stick to the sirloin and filet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the city to bring out of town guests. Awesome food, awesome experience.Special Features:
- WowGorgeMe1Dined on 9/21/2014I did not think this would be my thing. Do not underestimate how great the experience of grilling your own meats and seafood can be. This place was fun, conducive to drinking lots of beer, etc. Great place to go with a friend and get stuffed.Special Features:
- First TimeYummyDined on 9/20/2014This place was recommended by a friend. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was great! They have a 'top ten' list and we tried a few things off there. Ordered seconds of the #1. That skirt steak was great, so was the scallops and asparagus and garlic rice! They have some fun, good priced drinks too. Waiter was fantastic, even changed out our grill top. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Been coming here for yearsMimiDined on 9/19/2014Love it love it love we found this awesome place on groupon years ago and I introduced it to all of my friends and even a few co workers I absolutely love the spicy tuna volcano. I even came here twice this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty lousyjeffVIPDined on 9/18/2014Been to Gyu-kaku many times but this last trip was really bad. The ribeye and filet minion were poorly cut; both were extremely fatty and didn't cook well. When they waitress came by to see how everything was, I let her know the ribeye was nearly all fat and the filet was tough and not flavorful. She said "that's ok" and walked away. I will not be returning.
- Great food but not the serviceFFandJJVIPDined on 9/17/2014A regular at Gyu-Kaku, food has always been great but the service definitely needs improvement. The servers aren't attentive and it happened past few times I dined in; server seems to be rushing us off, grill not changed, etc. Would still recommend to friends but sure hope to see improvement on their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small servingsFiftycentiDined on 9/9/2014The food was deliciously seasoned, but the portions were too small. I spent $46.00 and was still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSpringfieldDined on 9/6/2014Great place for a unique dining experience where you cook your own meal on a hot grill at the center of your table Great for families or groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the food!!KIPeelerDined on 9/6/2014This was my second visit to Chicago this year and I went to Gyu-Kaku just like the last time. The food was as great as the previous time, and I really enjoyed the unique experience of Japanese BBQ again. The vegetables and meats were very fresh and tasty as well as their salad and appetizer that came with the dinner meal.Special Features:
- Fun to cook on the grillsRachelVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place was great for what it's known for, cooking food on the grills. I felt the sushi and other non-grilled items just weren't quite as good. Also the menus and atmosphere is a little gimicky, but not horrible. The service was overall good, but we felt a little rushed. Didn't stop us from just enjoying ourselves after the check came though. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Meatlovers paradiseEnjoyGr8CuisineDined on 9/5/2014If you like quality, thinly sliced meats this is the place to be. On top of that you cook your own food on the grill in the middle of the table. The various types of sake's are well worth a try. The overall dining experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese BBQcalishDined on 9/4/2014My bf and his friends decided to go to some Korean BBQ on a Thursday night but at the end we decided to try this Japanese BBQ better because they been there before and reviews are great. To be honest at the beginning I thought it was going to be very expensive because it was in the heart of downtown but it was actually good price. We got a deal for $55.00 and few extra stuff we bought on the side and was so much food. This place was AWESOME and the kobe steak was so good. This is one of those place that I must take everyone that comes visit chicago totally worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing meet qualityJapaneseDined on 8/30/2014I visited Gyu-Kaku a dozen times before. My this particular visit was so disappointing. Filet mignon tasted old. Thin meet was not juicy. Everything but the fresh Karubi was not as good as before.Special Features:
- Gyukaku Chicago829NikuDined on 8/23/2014A great restaurant for a night out when you want to include everyone in the experience. The staff are friendly and attentive. If you haven't had Japanese Korean style BBQ (yakiniku) this is a good baptism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different, something funfoodieFattyVIPDined on 8/21/2014I love this spot! Your able to order multiple items and share the Collin experience. I'm a huge fan if the pork belly, how can you go wrong?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in chicagoRBKDDined on 8/19/2014Best place in chicago...hands down!! Could eat there everyday and each time something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast!foodloverDined on 8/18/2014My daughter found this place and took me for my birthday and I had a Blast! The food, service, vibe was a wonderful experience. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsmndDined on 8/13/2014I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "kid-friendly", but maybe more accommodating if by chance you have a small child with you? The staff is extremely nice. However, being seated even with a reservation turned out to be an issue. I made a reservation weeks in advance because we were visiting from out of town. Due to trouble with our taxi, I called ahead to the restaurant to inform them that we were running a few minutes behind our reservation time & gave them our ETA. They thanked us for the notification & seemed happy to hold our table for us... when we arrived however they told us it would be a 5 min wait (which no big deal we were 5 min past our reservation). Except it ended up being almost a 30 min. Not ok for having a reservation.Special Features:
- A great experienceDaviesfamilyDined on 8/12/2014Whilst on holiday from London, as a family of 4, we had a great meal here. Food was really tasty and it was fun to BBQ it yourself. Our waiter, Justyn, was excellent and so helpful. Thanks for a great experience. P.S. When is Gyu-Kaku coming to London?!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BarbecueStephanieDined on 8/10/2014Food are good. It is very good for groups! The server is very nice since he recommended many his favorite dishes for us. And we feel perfect! We like chili dumplings best!Special Features:
- Great! Unless it's super busy...ValentinaShepardDined on 8/9/2014I went to Gyu-Kaku for lunch with a friend and had the best experience. The food is always excellent and the yakitori experience is fun. Service was great- everyone was friendly and helpful. Ambiance was also excellent. It was busy but not hectic. I felt isolated from other customers and was able to enjoy the meal and conversation with my friend. I went back a few weeks later with a group of four during, probably, the busiest time if the week. 9 PM on a Saturday. They graciously moved our reservation back from 8:30 when we called after our train was delayed and were seated promptly at 9. However, because it was so busy the service was lacking and we were rubbing elbows with our neighbors, but I don't blame them at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is goodyyuan010Dined on 8/8/2014The food is good. Price is reasonable. Good location, close to Michigan ave. Like the services, but it is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my FAVE in SPITE of...GandGDined on 8/6/2014Usually AWESOME, but VERY disappointed this time, When I made a reservation I stated I was celebrating an anniversary (which turned into a wedding proposal..WOO HOO) BUT was a little dismayed that we were sat at a 10 seat table instead of a normal booth....instead of the 3rd floor, which is used for large parties...and you take your shoes off...VERY COOL idea, but not where I wanted to be seated at. Service was eh ok....she was more focused on the large party next to us...Ummm ok..... I guess the next time I won't specify anything special being celebrated, since no one reads the info anyway... BUT we will be back... DEFINITELY ... just NOT the 3rd floor again... : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is Awesome!rodguillermoDined on 8/1/2014The food is great!!!! You need to go to the 3rd floor to get the full Japanese experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!ShortPerson23Dined on 8/1/2014This is my second time at Gyu Kaku and I loved it just as much as the first time. The ambience is different on the lower level than it is upstairs. The upper level is also more like the traditional Japanese seating and environment. Both are great for group outings. I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ct1221VIPDined on 8/1/2014Dear Gyu Kaku Chicago, My friends and I go to your restaurant a lot, it's our go-to spot and comfort food place. However, the most recent visits were falling a bit short of regular excellence. The meet cut and the marinates don't seem as good...they sort of taste funny.. we got the wrong veggies, the grill wasn't working properly, the register was having problem with the rewards card.. just all the little things. I hope that things will improve soon, because I like Gyu Kaku in my neighborhood and I'd love to continue coming to the place.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!IndyFoodieDined on 7/29/2014This place is awesome! If you like this style of cooking (Yakiniku - Japanese for grilled meat dishes) you will love Gyu-Kaku! from the moment we walked in we were treated with an authentic Yakiniku experience. Our server was very knowledgeable and since it was our first time he was very helpful. You basically choose your meats, vegetables and sides that you would like to cook on their special grill which sits in the middle of your table. You become the chef when they bring out your food for cooking. The server will give you recommended cooking times appropriate for the type of food you are cooking. Ultimately you are in control and that is the fun part! This is a great hidden gem in the streeterville neighborhood!Special Features:
- Cool experienceBrettDined on 7/27/2014It was cool to cook my own food, but I usually go to restaurants to cook my food for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Sit around the table and prepare your own food on the grill. There are set menus to order from but we went a-la-carte. Good food, prompt service, nice place.Special Features:
- Great food, great service..MitchDined on 7/25/2014This was an amazing restaurant the food and concept is remarkable. Is now a go to place for me whenever I am in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014The quality of the food was great as was the service. We took our six year old who also enjoyed the experience, saying the rice was "the best ever". We will go back next time we are visiting Chicago for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashBirthdayPlannerDined on 7/20/2014We decided to book a table to celebrate one of our friend's birthday. The staff is wonderful, the service is quick, and the food is delicious. Our friends loved it and we enjoyed sharing the Gyu-Kaku experience with them. Definitely a place to try out at least once in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Second time here after only 2 weeks, because the first experience was that good! Unfortunately, the very temperamental grill at our table put a damper on our meal this time. We had a bit of a hard time getting the attention of our server for what would be a total of 5 times to re-ignite our grill before being moved to another table about 70% of the way through our meal. Thankfully, the manager took it in stride and was very gracious and professional dealing with our situation. Though we got a new plate of the meat that was left half-cooked & half-eaten on the uncooperative grill at the old table after we moved, we were not offered anything extra as compensation for the inconvenience, discontinuity, and difficulty of our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.