Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
210 E. Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 3122668929
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Chicago
Gyu-Kaku Chicago is all about fun and food. You are your own chef, cooking tasty morsels perfectly to your liking, right there at your table. It is an ideal way to share a meal with family and friends. Gyu-Kaku has a variety of original sauces which it uses as marinades and provides for basting of its select meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables. Grilled by the customer over a glowing charcoal brazier, each item becomes a unique and delectable taste experience. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Gyu-Kaku - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (101)special occasion (65)great for lunch (58)fit for foodies (57)hot spot (50)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (35)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (24)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- disappointing meet qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014I visited Gyu-Kaku a dozen times before. My this particular visit was so disappointing. Filet mignon tasted old. Thin meet was not juicy. Everything but the fresh Karubi was not as good as before.Special Features:
- Gyukaku Chicago829NikuDined on 8/23/2014A great restaurant for a night out when you want to include everyone in the experience. The staff are friendly and attentive. If you haven't had Japanese Korean style BBQ (yakiniku) this is a good baptism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different, something funfoodieFattyDined on 8/21/2014I love this spot! Your able to order multiple items and share the Collin experience. I'm a huge fan if the pork belly, how can you go wrong?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in chicagoRBKDDined on 8/19/2014Best place in chicago...hands down!! Could eat there everyday and each time something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast!foodloverDined on 8/18/2014My daughter found this place and took me for my birthday and I had a Blast! The food, service, vibe was a wonderful experience. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsmndDined on 8/13/2014I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "kid-friendly", but maybe more accommodating if by chance you have a small child with you? The staff is extremely nice. However, being seated even with a reservation turned out to be an issue. I made a reservation weeks in advance because we were visiting from out of town. Due to trouble with our taxi, I called ahead to the restaurant to inform them that we were running a few minutes behind our reservation time & gave them our ETA. They thanked us for the notification & seemed happy to hold our table for us... when we arrived however they told us it would be a 5 min wait (which no big deal we were 5 min past our reservation). Except it ended up being almost a 30 min. Not ok for having a reservation.Special Features:
- A great experienceDaviesfamilyDined on 8/12/2014Whilst on holiday from London, as a family of 4, we had a great meal here. Food was really tasty and it was fun to BBQ it yourself. Our waiter, Justyn, was excellent and so helpful. Thanks for a great experience. P.S. When is Gyu-Kaku coming to London?!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BarbecueStephanieDined on 8/10/2014Food are good. It is very good for groups! The server is very nice since he recommended many his favorite dishes for us. And we feel perfect! We like chili dumplings best!Special Features:
- Great! Unless it's super busy...ValentinaShepardDined on 8/9/2014I went to Gyu-Kaku for lunch with a friend and had the best experience. The food is always excellent and the yakitori experience is fun. Service was great- everyone was friendly and helpful. Ambiance was also excellent. It was busy but not hectic. I felt isolated from other customers and was able to enjoy the meal and conversation with my friend. I went back a few weeks later with a group of four during, probably, the busiest time if the week. 9 PM on a Saturday. They graciously moved our reservation back from 8:30 when we called after our train was delayed and were seated promptly at 9. However, because it was so busy the service was lacking and we were rubbing elbows with our neighbors, but I don't blame them at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is goodyyuan010Dined on 8/8/2014The food is good. Price is reasonable. Good location, close to Michigan ave. Like the services, but it is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my FAVE in SPITE of...GandGDined on 8/6/2014Usually AWESOME, but VERY disappointed this time, When I made a reservation I stated I was celebrating an anniversary (which turned into a wedding proposal..WOO HOO) BUT was a little dismayed that we were sat at a 10 seat table instead of a normal booth....instead of the 3rd floor, which is used for large parties...and you take your shoes off...VERY COOL idea, but not where I wanted to be seated at. Service was eh ok....she was more focused on the large party next to us...Ummm ok..... I guess the next time I won't specify anything special being celebrated, since no one reads the info anyway... BUT we will be back... DEFINITELY ... just NOT the 3rd floor again... : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is Awesome!rodguillermoDined on 8/1/2014The food is great!!!! You need to go to the 3rd floor to get the full Japanese experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!ShortPerson23Dined on 8/1/2014This is my second time at Gyu Kaku and I loved it just as much as the first time. The ambience is different on the lower level than it is upstairs. The upper level is also more like the traditional Japanese seating and environment. Both are great for group outings. I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ct1221VIPDined on 8/1/2014Dear Gyu Kaku Chicago, My friends and I go to your restaurant a lot, it's our go-to spot and comfort food place. However, the most recent visits were falling a bit short of regular excellence. The meet cut and the marinates don't seem as good...they sort of taste funny.. we got the wrong veggies, the grill wasn't working properly, the register was having problem with the rewards card.. just all the little things. I hope that things will improve soon, because I like Gyu Kaku in my neighborhood and I'd love to continue coming to the place.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!IndyFoodieDined on 7/29/2014This place is awesome! If you like this style of cooking (Yakiniku - Japanese for grilled meat dishes) you will love Gyu-Kaku! from the moment we walked in we were treated with an authentic Yakiniku experience. Our server was very knowledgeable and since it was our first time he was very helpful. You basically choose your meats, vegetables and sides that you would like to cook on their special grill which sits in the middle of your table. You become the chef when they bring out your food for cooking. The server will give you recommended cooking times appropriate for the type of food you are cooking. Ultimately you are in control and that is the fun part! This is a great hidden gem in the streeterville neighborhood!Special Features:
- Cool experienceBrettDined on 7/27/2014It was cool to cook my own food, but I usually go to restaurants to cook my food for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Sit around the table and prepare your own food on the grill. There are set menus to order from but we went a-la-carte. Good food, prompt service, nice place.Special Features:
- Great food, great service..MitchDined on 7/25/2014This was an amazing restaurant the food and concept is remarkable. Is now a go to place for me whenever I am in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014The quality of the food was great as was the service. We took our six year old who also enjoyed the experience, saying the rice was "the best ever". We will go back next time we are visiting Chicago for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashBirthdayPlannerDined on 7/20/2014We decided to book a table to celebrate one of our friend's birthday. The staff is wonderful, the service is quick, and the food is delicious. Our friends loved it and we enjoyed sharing the Gyu-Kaku experience with them. Definitely a place to try out at least once in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This PlacerlukasDined on 7/18/2014I always love eating here! The menu and table cooking stove makes this place a really unique and interesting dinning experience. And the food and drink happy hour is also top notch!Special Features:
- Love this placeAJaffeDined on 7/13/2014One of our favorite restaurants when we visit Chicago! Great assortment of appetizers... we've had several salads, sukiyaki rice... all delish. BBQ is really flavorful and fun to do as well. We've enjoyed the salmon, ribs, and assorted veggies. We saw other tables trying a variety of meats. Be sure to make a reservation (on OpenTable, of course). Without one, there was a 30-minute wait on a Thursday night at 9:30pm! They also offer happy hour pricing, which slashes prices on many popular appetizers and BBQ selections. We've gone twice for an early Sunday dinner (when the happy hour pricing was in effect).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an OK BBQXiximomoDined on 7/12/2014Just traditional Japanese BBQ. Good for a happy-hour lunch. A little bit overpriced during dinner time. Tastes OK. Maybe in Michigan Ave, this is the best Asian BBQ you can find. But there should be much better ones in other areas in Chicago.Special Features:
- Outstanding.DinnerDined on 7/9/2014The food, service, atmosphere was amazing for a date. I recommend this entirely.Special Features:
- Everything is Awesome!!!EtchDined on 6/28/2014I lived in Japan 10 years ago and have missed the Japanese BBQ. The cow tongue is great, I'm happy to see one of these open near by.Special Features:
- Great ConceptOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014The place was very clean and the employees worked like clockwork. The food was fresh and very tasty. The price was very reasonable. We ordered for 2 and could not finish all the food. The dessert was a nice touch with the freshly made smores. Never made them indoors before.Special Features:
- Great serviceGottaeat27Dined on 6/21/2014Took my boyfriend here for a birthday dinner. Our grill malfunctioned and kept turning off but our waiter quickly took action. We were seated at another table and given fresh food to grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!SumeragiDined on 6/18/2014Hits pretty close to home, been yakiniku restaurants outside the country, and it is nice to have one near us in Chicago. Will definitely stop by more!Special Features:
- Gyu-kaku on a Wednesday eveninggyulover007Dined on 6/18/2014I came here on a Wednesday evening after taking an architectural boat trip. The service was poor but the food was satisfactory. The gyu-tan, or beef tongue, was delicious, as was the prime sirloin cut of meat. I tried a peach sochu cocktail during their happy hour menu. The sukiyaki bibimpap was just so-so - a bit on the dry side. My biggest beef with the place was the slow service where I constantly found myself waving down the waitress.Special Features:
- Fun Family NightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/14/2014Everybody got a little something that they likes. Kids fought over who got to cook what on the BBQ grills that were set in the middle of the table. Only reasons this is not a full 5-stars is the quality of the meat wasn't phenomenal (which is okay) and the place was extremely busy such that our waiter had a lot of tables to take care of. Regardless, we will definitely go back!!! Fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okluvdaisyDined on 6/14/2014This is not my fav place. I had better food better price in other places. The meat doesn't look fresh plus it's too salty. Since it is marinated meat (even though I know it is for tenderization) I guess we will never know if it is fresh or not. Waiter was super nice but since the restaurant is crowded (as always) we felt we had to speed up our dining. Not a chance to get romantic. They do have good deals like happy hour. You can get really full with that deal, but I go for a la carte to eat best part of beef instead of cheap ones.Special Features:
- Gyu-Kaku is a must.JnJ714Dined on 6/14/2014Two thumbs up. Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved everything about it. The Japanese beer was so good, and we loved that we could make our own s'mores for dessert. Our waitress was so sweet and very attentive. It was both of our first times and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very coolOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/10/2014I was an exchange student in Japan for a year in high school, so this is totally my think. The atmosphere brought back memories of Yaki Niku Wednesdays at the Yaki Niku place near the high school I attended in Iruma Shi. Food was great and servers were VERY attentive. I am pretty sure I'm gonna celebrate my birthday here with a group.Special Features:
- Interactive DiningTanaBDined on 6/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food here. It was quite loud, but the staff was super helpful and the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- food is not good; just funpinggVIPDined on 6/7/2014the quality of meat is poor; but considering the price, i would say modest.
- Fun night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014All the food was great from the salad and apps to the many selections of entrees and deserts. Its a fun place to go - totally recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!MelissaUSFDined on 5/24/2014We have been to Gyu-Kaku in LA, NYC and Chicago. The trifecta!! Love them all and Chicago is the best one so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good...just one problemFLB7686Dined on 5/23/2014The overall experience was very good: the food excellent and the staff very helpful. The problem? The young man who accommodates the guests: unpolite and rude. And that's a pity, because the rest of the staff is fabulous. Anyway, I suggest this restaurant. Is perfect and also fun for a family dinner or a dinner with friends.Special Features:
- great food and servicepatbDined on 5/20/2014Not impressed with the coby $20 cut but everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat guestcindidiDined on 5/20/2014This is on my list of favorite repeats. The food is amazing and the experience is really enjoyable. i have bern there twice in the last month and have reservations to go again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.