Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver
201-950 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1K7Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/cn/broadway.htm
- Phone: 6045583898x
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday: 11:30AM–4PM (last call)
Sun–Thu: 4PM–10:30PM (last call)
Fri & Sat: 4PM–11:30PM (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: You!
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver
Social dining - spending time with friends and family - is what Gyu-Kaku (GEW-KAH-KOO) is all about. Gyu-Kaku offers the fun of "shared plates,' inspiring laughter, conversation, and good times. You can't help it – with a personal grill installed at every table, everyone instantly becomes an expert cook. The staff at Gyu-Kaku are friendly, leading you through the night with helpful suggestions. The sounds around you are of parties and laughter - the perfect choice for first dates, families, and catching up with friends. Gyu-Kaku, meaning "Horn of the Bull" in Japanese provides the authentic Japanese Yakiniku (barbeque) dining experience where our customers share premium cooked meats over a flaming charcoal grill while sipping on Japanese Sake, Shochu and frosty cold beersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver - Best Restaurants in Fairview ›
Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (34)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (18)late-night find (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (11)romantic (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food great serviceHightealadyDined on 8/25/2014Love this location better than the downtown one. Food are better prepared and place is cleanerSpecial Features:
- TsangWongDined on 8/18/2014My little kid loves this restaurant very much so will plan to this restaurant maybe once a month either dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- Smarti3Dined on 7/16/2014This resturant has Great Service, really enjoyed the food =) The staff are very friendly. What I like most is that there are a variety of options to choose from. You can pick and choose the items you would like to eat or they have set combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for a decent pricePalias86Dined on 7/14/2014The food is delicious, for a decent price, but the service needs some improvement. Our server was a bit impersonal, and her English not great (I ordered 2 bowl with steamed rice and got 2 glasses of water), it took us about 10 minutes to got the attention of the server to get a tong for putting our meet on the grill, 15 minutes to fill a pitcher of Saphora. But all together the food was amazing, so delicious, So Good!! but for the service I will go to one Downtown.Special Features:
- Downtown one is much betterKreeperDined on 7/12/2014We usually go to the one in downtown but we decided to try this one since it had a table open on our convenient time. For the same amount of money spent, we will definitely go to the downtown one. Everything especially quality of food is much better in downtown.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Very very hot since u gotta sit right in front of the grill. But food is great and staffs are helpful :) Good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at gyu-kakuddg1223Dined on 7/11/2014We were in a group of 3 and ordered a meat lover combo which is recommended for 2 people, but the portion was enough for 3. We also ordered a side of the premium beef tongue, which is my favourite. The meat was amazing. I loved the short ribs and the steak. The atmosphere there was good, not too noisy. Our server was very tentative and helped us change our grill a couple times. Very nice and friendly too. The only thing I didnt like about my experience this time was that it was SUPER hot in there. Especially when its summer time and the grilling pan is basically right in front of your face. It would be nice to not be sweating during dinner. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little warmChengerDined on 7/11/2014Great food, excellent service but a little warm on a hot summer day in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TsangWongDined on 7/3/2014Overall can fit our requirement especially for little kid & it is the time for him to practice to learn how to cook under safety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good if priceyDaCCDined on 7/3/2014We went for a dinner for 2 and managed to catch the happy hour special. It was fairly quiet during Happy Hour (4-6) but it picked up quite a bit afterwards. The Happy Hour Combo was a fair sampling, though the vegetables were a bit plain. The service was quite good, even as the crowd grew. The price might have been on the high side, but it's almost what you expect dining out at a Japanese BBQ. Not a bad spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese BBQfamilyfoodieDined on 6/15/2014Good variety of food choices all of which are very appetizing. We were there for their "happy hour" so great prices and set deals. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinoVIPDined on 6/8/2014Went there for dinner with a group. This place is too Western night pub style, music is extremely loud, people are very noisy too. Don't feel like having Japanese food, and very limited choices. If you are looking for Asian food in a night pub and love loud pop music, this is a place to go. Not recommend to other people. I have headache after dinner, can't even talk to your friend due to the loud music, not satisfied with the food either. Will not go again.
- Yum and FunYYenDined on 5/30/2014We love this place! The food along with their service is awesome!! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2014Been there twice, food is great! I have a dairy and egg allergy and they were able to accommodate it with ease (very refreshing). Service was great when in a high traffic area, felt a bit forgotten the 2nd time b/c we were in he corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Broadway - Vancouver reviews archive.
- lunch combos, good dealReikunDined on 4/30/2014Me and 1 co-worker each had the Meat Lover's Special, good amount of meat to BBQ and comes with nice salad/rice. So happy to see them open for lunch now as they only did dinner for first while after opening. Server could have used some training to explain the menu in english a little better. I've been to Gyu-Kaku in Japan, California, downtown Vancouver so I've heard it explained a couple of times differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicesnowyowl2014Dined on 4/28/2014great services, food portion are too small and tasteless. too noisy to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cleanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014I noticed that this location was cleaner than the location at Robson. It has the same friendly and fast service like the other Gyu's! Great place to have a group meal. Interactive and delicious.Special Features:
- Value and ServiceQuaintyDined on 4/25/2014This restaurant has great value and service. There is a lot of food provided on the set combo menu. I leave completely stuffed every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POOR SERVICENVANDined on 4/21/2014-Our reservation was @7:15pm and to be seated @7:30pm. No problem to wait 15 mins. -We had a table with a grill pan which was very tight for 6 adults and 2 kids. -We had a 3 years boy and we needed to make clear in front of his area because he would make a mess. But, servers were keep bringing dishes to that space. It is not good idea, even there is no space on the table. -The server should know who is the key person (who makes order and who pays for it). One of kids who was 9 years old siting the corner and a server delivered the bill to her and explain the detail. -We understand it was very busy time. But, it took long time to have main dishes (MEAT). We were told that meat was still frozen. Well, I guess we have to wait until...Special Features:
- Great foodQuaintyDined on 3/28/2014The food was great. The Spring Menu was an awesome value. The service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its located UPSTAIRScallmemochelleVIPDined on 3/27/2014We almost drove past this place, not realizeing that the restaurant is located on the SECOND level, next door to IHOP. There's a late night happyhour. We took advantage of the lowered prices and ordered a medley of everything. The wait staff was great in the beginning but toward the end of the night, we had to find them for the bill. They also had to be asked to change our grill. I'm giving them 4 stars because my friends had a great time, and for 6 people, the check came to $140 which is not bad considering it was 90% meat we ate.Special Features:
- A bit of DIY is funYleeVIPDined on 3/18/2014This is the place to go when you are craving meat and a good time. Time sort of passes before you know it as you are grilling your own food over great conversations and company of friends or family. The service was good they actual change the grill screen so you do not burn your food or just keep cooking over stuck on of other flavored food cooked previously. There are a lot of drinks on the menu but I guess the ones we ordered were not really what we thought we wanted. It would be fun for kids or introducing a different dining experience to people you may know. It can be considered a healthy option depending what you order.The 3 types of dipping sauces is also a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The server was a trainee andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014The server was a trainee and she was very friendly and offered way better service than most typcal Vancouver servers. Yes I am talking about all those annoying hipster waiters in Yaletown and Main street! The food was very tastey and brought out quickly. This is the type of restaurant that you will make a habit of going to frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with poor service!LovetoshineDined on 3/1/2014The BBQ meat is fresh and delicious, but the waitress is too busy to serve us. Our waitress introduced herself and helped us for ordering the food at the beginning. However, after all the BBQ dishes arrived our table, she ignored our needs at the rest of the time, such as changing the iron grill, refill the drinks, and bring out the desserts. We complained to the manager, and he found another waitress to help us. We did not get any apology, nor explanation of what was going on.Special Features:
- New restaurant - Worth tryingVT2001Dined on 2/24/2014Tried this new restaurant recently and both the food/service are decent. I'd say it's definitely worth trying for those who haven't. One complaint is that the complex parking underneath the restaurant is pay parking and is also not reimbursed by the restaurant. What makes matters worse is that the rate is $4 an hour (I guess due to location).Special Features:
- First Time HItRandandFumiDined on 2/16/2014I picked this restaurant because my wife is Japanese and we both like barbecue, Korean in particular. This was great; service was just right and everything cooked to perfection!! (heh heh) The price was good and the atmosphere vibrant and the staff took care of everything very well. Will go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vday dinnerjleeDined on 2/14/2014I've been to both location of Gyu-Kaku. The one on Broadway seemed to serve in smaller portions. The overall experience was pretty good. The food and the service were good as expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine out VancouverLLUUDined on 1/29/2014My friend and I were here for their dine out menu for $28. I started out with the steamed chili dumplings which were not that great. The bowl was filled with more oil than dumplings. THe BBQ was great though, meats were nicely cut and you could tell it was of great quality. For dessert I had the smores. Yummy but it really needed more chocolate! Aside from food, service was good. It was prompt and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place has amazing foodderemDined on 1/17/2014this place has amazing food and service!! the BBQ on each table makes the whole experience a lot of fun!Special Features:
- Amazing Service and Foodluv2eatVIPDined on 1/15/2014First time dining at this restaurant and I'm very impressed with the overall experience. The service staff were all very friendly and smiley. Our waiter Kevin was very attentive. All service staff made sure our dinner was perfect. Food was flavorful and delicious. I felt very welcome as a customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but downtown is betterSkyfireVIPDined on 1/8/2014We usually go to the downtown location but as it was closed for maintenance we decided to give Broadway a try. Notable difference: the seating is more traditional, but we prefer the more private and cushioned booths downtown. Food presentation tries to be more elegant, but it really isn't necessary - a sauce is supposed to come on the side, not draped all over the plate. Overall, the experience is very similar to downtown, and the food is good always.Special Features:
- Yakiniku comes to West BroadwayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2014Gyu Kaku's 2nd Vancouver location is in part of the huge 2nd-floor space that was once the Rugby Beach Club (IHOP moved into the other half back in 2011). They did a nice remodel that feels modern and intimate. I went with a friend during the 1st month after it opened in Dec 2013. The young staff were energetic and helpful with menu choices and cooking tips. The Meat Lover's Course for 2 and was plenty of food and fine -- but I can't give it 5 stars because I just returned from a trip to Japan, and know that some aspects could be better, like the dipping sauces, which were drab and not very flavorful. Nice cold draft beer, but they only sell shochu by the bottle (go as a group?). Overall a nice addition to the dining scene along W Broadway!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- staff following manualnikushounenDined on 1/5/2014This is the new restaurant on Broadway & Oak. Despite being regulars, we couldn't get reservation at the Nelson restaurant (ichigoten), so went here. Only open 15 days so waitress was annoying dropping off plates and telling us how to cook meats. I'm sure she's following management's instruction / training but every time interrupted our dinner conversation. Another example was when one of the meat slice flared on the grill, she freaked out on us. Never had that problem at the Nelson store. Give them a month to chill out.Special Features:
- AMAZING EVERYTHING!!BrandonForbesDined on 1/5/2014This place is at the top of the list. We went for a birthday dinner. Gyu-Kaku is the BEST in Japanese BBQ. The food is to die for, the quality is impeccable, the service is world class!! Getting to cook your own cuts of meat is a unique experience and adds fun to a special evening. Will definitely be back with friends.Special Features:
- Great Japanese BBQ RestaurantLovetoshineDined on 12/30/2013Food is good. Meat is very fresh, but the dishes were came out very slow. The kitchen should hire more chefs to help. Otherwise, the service is good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.