Gyu-Kaku - Brea
120 S. Brea Blvd. UNIT 1
Brea, CA 92821Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Brea
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/ca/brea.htm
- Phone: (714) 671-9378
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5PM - 10:30PM
Friday - Saturday 5PM - 11:30PM
Sunday 5PM - 10PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Brea
Gyu-Kaku Brea is now open!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Gyu-Kaku - Brea - Best Restaurants in Brea ›
Gyu-Kaku - Brea reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (18)late-night find (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (10)romantic (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Service is lackingunderwhelmedVIPDined on 11/9/2014We have been to this location a few times and were very surprised with the poor service we received. There were only 3 other parties in the entire restaurant at this time and it took about 20 min to receive our drinks (waters) and much longer to receive our food. I hope they can improve service as this is a cool place to eat.Special Features:
- Exciting PlaceBetheeDined on 11/8/2014It was my first experience at Gyu-Kaku and I absolutely loved it. The food, service and ambiance were marvelous--definitely going back and taking friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaffJapanesefoodloverDined on 11/2/2014The staff here are very friendly! Also, the food here is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service.ieathere2muchDined on 10/29/2014Great food, great happy hour & always amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Getting WorseunderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/26/2014I've been here a few times now and it's unfortunate that each time I have gone, the service has gotten drastically worse. This time I figured I would go in the afternoon to avoid the crowds. We arrived at were there with 2 other parties in the entire restaurant. We got our drinks in a few minutes, but waited 30 minutes to get a salad. Really? 30 minutes for a salad? There were enough servers working, they just didn't care to do their job. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- First time at Gyu-KakuGilbertoPDined on 10/17/2014It was the first being at Gyu-Kayu for my wife and I. Our server Sean made our experience the best. He went over the menu and gave us recommendations on what to order. We ended up choosing the Gyu-Kaku Course for $60 which included Edamame, Gyu-Kaku Salad, Assorted Appetizers, Miso Soup x2, Sukiyaki Bibimbap, Kalbi Short Rib Tare, Harami Skirt Steak Miso, Spicy Yaki-Shabu, Chicken Cheese Fondue, Shrimp Garlic, Spinach Garlic, Mushroom Medley and S'mores. We thought it would be way too much food for 2 people but it was the right amount. Sean even gave us tips on how long we should be cooking everything and dropped by a few times to see if we were okay. I would highly recommend this place to others and would be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-service needs improvingunderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great food/variety...I've been here a few times now, but each time I've gone the service is lacking. They do a great job of greeting you and seating you, but after that you're on your own. It takes a very long time to get your food and your drinks.Special Features:
- "Good Food"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014Great food- Quality of Meat cuts excellent- Try the punch bowl drink, it's great for couples.Special Features:
- Great Japanese BBQfood4allDined on 10/9/2014Love this place. Can't beat the weekday special!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED it, delicious food!YehwhatevrDined on 10/4/2014This was my 1st time dining at a restaurant where I got to "cook my own food!" I ordered Filet & shrimp and they were both delicious... I like my meat well done so cooking it myself worked great! :) The employees were SUPER friendly and everyone helped/served every table. The manager (Jeremy) even came around and asked how everything was, and offered to change our grill. The ONLY thing I would say could be improved was having bigger grills at the table. We were a party of 3 (at a table for 5) and we could not even all cook just our meat together... If you don't mind eating 1 thing at a time (and waiting while the other items cook) this is perfect! I would definitely go back, but would not go back with a large party.
- Slow DownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The food and ambiance were great. Our waiter(s) were also great and very knowledgeable. My only complaint is that I felt very rushed. Would have liked to be able to spend more time enjoying the experience. All of our food was brought pretty closely together and it was stressed that the meat would get salty if we waited too long to cook it. Otherwise, we really enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first date restaurantcloud9foodieDined on 9/20/2014I have been seeing a girl lately and we finally went out on our first date. I took here to this restaurant right before the Brea Jazz festival. It was a great find! Everything ells around looked really expensive. This place was only about $30 for my date and I, and we both walked out stuffed. I would recommend the the chicken garlic noodles, filet mignon and cheese wontons. Portion sizes aren't huge when it comes to the meat, so get two orders or multiple orders. The noodles were plenty for the two of us and we also got two sides of white rice. The restaurant itself was very clean. Restrooms were clean as well. Nice decor, and you don't walk away smelling like barbecue The downside is that it was rather loud, but that's not a big dealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese BBQ ever!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I love this place very much.... The food is excellent and love the happy hour....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/23/2014Me and my friends had a great time. I love coming to this location. The employees are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place.....proptupskunkDined on 8/8/2014Call me crazy but I love this place! We ALWAYS have such the best time here! It is the best happy hour in town- and delicious! It is something different and fun for date night, plus it is in a great location. The Brea location is by far my favorite, followed by Rancho. I just wish the happy hour times were consistent at the various locations.....Special Features:
- Great Japanese BBQShobyVIPDined on 8/4/2014After trying several types of meat, we found our favorite: Bistro Hanger Steak. The garlic mushrooms are a yummy combo with the steak. I love the tofu nuggets as well. Monday's are the best because it's happy hour all day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 68 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Brea reviews archive.
- Our Server RockedKimRawrDined on 7/21/2014This is the 5th Gyu-Kaku restaurant we've tried and by far the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FooditbjennaDined on 7/11/2014Good food, good service. Should definitely go during their happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningRikeyXYDined on 7/4/2014Came here for a holiday dinner for their all you can eat special. Everything was delicious and the servers were very friendly and approachable. Great first experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smelled like sewer gas when 1stincomprehensableDined on 6/7/2014Had a 15% off card, that they refused to accept, accused me of altering the card. This please is near the house so we had been there a few times. Expensive for what you get, go to Korean BBQ or for a good steak and less work MastrosSpecial Features:
- Bring YOUR EarplugsjpdillsVIPDined on 5/31/2014I loved the proteins from the combo for 2, however, the balance was only marginal. The appetizers served cold from the deep fryer. The vegetables in foil on the table top stove didn't work. It would be better offering vegetables to be grilled just like the proteins. The noise level is not just energetic, it is obnoxious. The restaurant has music that is just fast paced drums turned to high level. We asked that the music be turned down a couple of times and were told OK, but it never was turned down. Our server was so soft spoken, you couldn't hear her over the noise and music. Other servers were screaming from one side of the restaurant to the other. It was very disappointing which is to bad since the basic concept is pretty good.Special Features:
- ocmommyDined on 5/19/2014Excellent food and service! Our hostess took care of all our needs with a very pleasant attitude. The entire crew was friendly.Special Features:
- great servicechengcheng1Dined on 5/17/2014The waiter, Sean was really friendly and nice! Super friendly and willing to answer any questions! =]Special Features:
- Quaint find in a BIG wayhkypk13Dined on 5/13/2014Contemporary and clean with enough menu choices. Great place for family, friends, or your better half to enjoy great food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!!YummyFoodDined on 5/10/2014So yummy, but go early it gets packed. We went at 5:30 and by 6 there was a long line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let me downGourmetHopperDined on 5/9/2014Every time I go there, they always provide the best service and never pressure you to order expensive item and rush you to leave at the end. Their food are always fresh and portion is just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delish!FoodiebabeDined on 5/7/2014Food was awesome, service was great, lots of selection to choose from! Will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014FIRST VISIT AND IT WON'T BE THE LAST!!! GREAT EXPERIENCE...FROM THE SERVICE, TO THE FOOD, TO THE BEVERAGES AND ATMOSPHERE. I ENJOYED PREPARING MY DINNER RIGHT THERE AT THE TABLE & EUGENE PROVIDED GREAT COOKING INSTRUCTIONS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SelectionclarepurplDined on 4/12/2014Even though most people go for the grilled items, don't forget to try the chili steamed dumplings and poke - both delicious!! Didn't have any luck with the one alcohol drink I had - but maybe it was a bad nightI would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Fun ExperienceCATEDined on 4/7/2014We had a great date night without the kids. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food and sauces were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Gyu-Kaku yet!!!jucsilvaDined on 3/12/2014I've been going to Gyu-Kaku restaurants for many years and was looking forward to the new location in Brea to open since it's the closest to me. Did not at all expect it to be done so nicely! Really thought, even though new, that it would be similar to the other locations I know in West LA and Santa Ana but the Brea location definitely surprised me with a nice, beautiful interior and great, friendly service!!! I am so happy since this is the closest Gyu-Kaku to me! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Create Your Own ExperienceMacAttackDined on 3/1/2014Gyu-Kaku supplies you with everything you need to have an amazing meal with a group of friends or just that special someone. My latest trip to Gyu-Kaku was with my lady and we had the best time picking from the menu and preparing our own food. I have also been by myself for lunch and with a large group of friends. Every time I dine at Gyu-Kaku is a great experience. I look forward to future visits. The prices are very reasonable and if you happen to go during happy hour they practically give you the food. The service is top notch and the food is always fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT GIRLS NIGHT OUTFOODIE003Dined on 2/25/2014the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great! the happy hour options were great too. the service was 50/50 - at times they too attentive when services was NOT needed, but at the times they were needed they were no where to be found. will probably be back for late night snack and for happy hour was good for oc restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- Would recomend to anyone.KyleDined on 2/21/2014This was my first time going to this one in Brea. It was a world of difference at the Brea one vs. the Huntington Beach one. The service and food was excellent but the atmosphere at the Brea location was very noisy compared to the quieter Huntington Beach location. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a good night out and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experienceMyyyyykDined on 2/21/2014I felt the portions were a but small for the price. Overall though I was satisfied with the service and flavor of the food. Just didn't feel like I got my money's worthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT WORTH THE MONEYMLVC13Dined on 2/15/2014never coming back to Gyu-Kaku. Id rather go to Tangiers in Loz Feliz or Castle AYCE in the west side. My husband & I had dinned at the on in Pasadena for valentines day a few years ago and it WAS GREAT!! so deciding on where to go on Valentines day dinner...we thought here. Big mistake. $120.00 for a dinner and it wasnt AYCE. Wish I can get my money back. Miso soup wasnt even hot, took FOREVER to get our 1st courses...
- fun and friendlybbccDined on 2/14/2014Food has great flavor. You cook it right at your table. Staff were all so nice and provided wonderful service.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2014Service great! just all around wonderful place to hang out and have a drink and grill some food. Ps. the HH is awesome!!Special Features:
- Celebrated my 21st birthday hereLittleMDined on 1/25/2014I was very pleased with the location of this restaurant, close to the parking structure and within walking distance of other shops and restaurants. I liked the ambience and service very much. The waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different & funbdaygirlDined on 1/17/2014Loved the whole experience. Japanese bbq concept & cooking your own food with friends, fun & different. Lively place, a little too loud on the music, hard to converse but overall lively and great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.