Gyu-Kaku - Boston
1002 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02448Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Gyu-Kaku - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: (617) 264-6190
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM-3PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3PM - 10:30PM, Sunday: 3PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Boston
Gyu-Kaku"s specialty is Yakiniku where our guest become chefs, cooking up a variety of luscious marinated meats, along with a wide variety of delectable dishes, served with our invigorating spirit and sublime atmosphere, you will definitely enjoy your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Gyu-Kaku - Boston - Best Restaurants in Brookline ›
Gyu-Kaku - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (44)great for lunch (37)fit for foodies (27)hot spot (22)special occasion (19)late-night find (13)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- A nice place to go!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Gyu Kaku is a really nice restaurant, food here is really good. I love the Top sale beef and mushroom medley a lot! For dessert, chocolate lava cake is very delicious, I love it very much. However, the restaurant often runs out of the Lady M green tea cake. The service isn't bad. However, my group waited for a long time to get our seat, and we made a reservation. But still, the overall quality is good and I recommend people to go Gyu Kaku for meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Japanese-style Yakiniku restaurantObi1Dined on 11/18/2014The same Yakiniku restaurant of Gyu-kaku, Japan. Your guest from Japan may feel nothing special, so don't take them there and give us (Boston locals) a room for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST GOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014not pricey at all; food was very good and very worth the valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencesuna710Dined on 11/13/2014Their staff was very friendly and the food was very good. The addicting cabbage ia very good and make sure you take a look at their specials. The only down side was the grill needed to be changed a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Good place to eat if you want to cook your own food, portion is alright and happy hour deal is good, special occasion place only after this experience. Their crepe is good but eating a fresh one is much better. Overall recommend if you're feeling BBQ and want to pay the suggested price.Special Features:
- Great. This restaurant is Peeerfectshuiki0306Dined on 10/17/2014Actually, the amount of foods are not satisfied, but the quality is really extremely great. No no no, it is perfect. I've never experienced this high-quality meats. Melting beaf and good service. Before coming here, I hate beef tongues. However, this restaurant makes me love it. Anyhow, I don't have an ability describing how grest this restaurant is. I recommend thus restaurant strongly. YOU MUST TRY THIS RESTAURANT. I AM SURE YOU WILL BE SATISFIED. LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad bbqOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014If you haven't been to any kind of really good bbq restaurant, you will find Gyu-kaku really attractive. However, if you have, then this place will somehow disappointing you especially considering all the good ratings...The meat was fresh, however, the flavor was not as good as I image (too sweet , but not flavorful). However, the service here was nice, with the price for lunch combo, I don't mind coming back.Special Features:
- YammyLaLaDined on 10/11/2014LOVE it! LOVE the greentea crepe! Meat are so juicy! So many people, better make a appointment before.Special Features:
- Tastyjr2204VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is simple, nicely seasoned, tasty. Nothing to go out of the way for, but very pleasant.
- Always satisfyingVivianSVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have been here a few times and it is very consistent. The beef dishes are superior to the chicken (which can turn out a little dry), although the spicy miso wings (appetizer) are delicious. Most of the veggies (those in the "steamed" section) are good except I found the asparagus not so tasty and easily overcooked. Sometimes it's hard to remember how long to cook certain items, even though the server will tell you when bringing it, e.g. 1 minute per side. The addicting cucumber is almost addicting. The garlic "fried" rice in bibimbap style was pretty good, even though not technically "fried rice". If it's your first time, just go with the bestsellers (highlighted at the top of each menu page) and you won't go wrong. Enjoy!Special Features:
- BadcbarVIPDined on 9/14/2014Worst experience I've had in a while at a restaurant . Very poor service , food came wrong and some food never came out .Special Features:
- Nice restaurantEricDined on 9/8/2014This is a good occasion for group reunion where has awesome foods, friendly staffs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, terrible servicejdk11Dined on 8/27/2014Took 40 minutes to get our food, and the waitress even forgot some of the items from the course menu until I asked her about it. She brought them out 20 minutes later. We were done eating at that point... Then she told me with an attitude that I can cancel these items, but I will pay for them anyway. I will not be coming backSpecial Features:
- Fun night outPekoDined on 8/19/2014The cook-it-yourself thing was a lot of fun and the food is delicious. Particularly love the beef short ribs and the sweet onions. Definitely recommend for a fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for adultsTravelerDined on 8/14/2014Loud LOUD lLOUD on a Thursday night! Service was atrocious. We ordered one of their package dinners with everything included for 4. EVERYTHINGmwas brought to the table at once and when asked them to hold the soup until we perhaps finished our salad they looked at us as if we were aliens, When the soup was finally brought out they intentionally brought us the same soups lukewarm. The meat dishes were brought out all at once we could really not even fit them on the table but the servers found a way, rather than bringing them out in courses. it was uncomfortable to say the least. Along with s'mores we ordered their fried banana cheesecake dessert. It was served ice cold, we didn't eat it. The food portions were small,the service impossible.
- AmazingOliviaYVIPDined on 8/11/2014This place is amazing! The pricing points are not that high and they just opened a patio area that is clean, and extremely comfortable to sit in. It is very open and spacious and the wait staff is friendly and alert. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Fun family style dinningAsianFoodLuvrDined on 8/11/2014We enjoyed the family style dinning. The meats and vegetables were tasty and fresh. The wait staff was very friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Don't bother making a reservationCheckPleaseDined on 8/1/2014Made a reservation for my friend's birthday, arrived on time, they told us they were just cleaning a table for is. 20 minutes later after many others waiting were seated I had to asked the manager when our table would be ready again, 5 minutes later they sat us. The food was good, but you could get better elsewhere for the price. We ordered the samurai value meal, and had to keep reminding our waitress of the items it came with when we noticed the table next to is was recieving them and we were not. For the price you pay, they need to remember to bring every course of the meal. A fun one time experience, but I wish the service had been better.Special Features:
- Korean or Japanese BarbecueAndreiaVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were excited to see a branch of Gyu-Kaku open here in Boston as we've been to one in Kyoto. There's no comparison as they get the real deal on Kobe and Wagyu beef, but still good place to go with friends for barbecue meats of different cuts. Skip the Wagyu style or Kobe style beef as you're paying more money for beef that is similar to Wagyu or Kobe but they can't call it that because it's not from Japan. They also have quite a few Korean dishes and flavors so it felt the best of both worlds. This was definitely a younger vibrant scene. If I wanted something more subdued, I head to Koreana as they probably a little cheaper considering all the replenishable accompaniments that you get with your meal.Special Features:
- Service was horribleNoTeaNoShadeDined on 7/30/2014Of this was my first time dining I would never come back the table next to me even asked if we were having a bad time like them maybe you need better staff bad service stands out hate to see you guys lose business I was happy when a boston location opened I found restaraunt in la
- The following 101 reviews are from the Gyu-Kaku - Boston reviews archive.
- Happy Hour is Very HappyOut4LunchVIPDined on 7/16/2014So, some might say that having to cook your own food defeats the point of going out. To the contrary - I love coming here for lunch. The meat is tender, the veggies fresh, and grilling food with friends means you actually slow down and interact with each other. Can't beat happy hour, either!Special Features:
- Restaurant regulation?HankDined on 7/15/2014I had a reservation at 5:45pm for 12 people. And when I have arrived 5:40pm, restaurant member said that I can not enter our private room until 8 people of our members. This was Restaurant regulation. I could not understand. I will not take a lunch or dinner any more at Gyu-Kaku Boston.Special Features:
- Great Beef!ArchonDined on 7/13/2014At this chain restaurant, you select sliced meat and grill it yourself at your table. It's fun, and the food is ready when you are. The quality and preparation of the meat is very good. If you don't overcook it, you'll really enjoy it. Strongly recommended is the Beef Toro, which looks like beef bacon. We also enjoyed the Beef Tongue. The vegetables were just ok, but the star is the meat. Service is very good, but during our Sunday night dinner it was quite noisy. Partly because every few minutes the entire staff shouts something incomprehensible. It was a hot night, and it was hot and sticky in our booth. They have a street-side patio, but there no were tables set out. If you like fresh, delectable meat, you should check out Gyu-Kaku.Special Features:
- Very good Japanese bbqgantetsuDined on 7/12/2014Considering you're not in Japan and this is a chain my expectations were more than exceeded. The cuts of meat were excellently prepared and were quite tasty. The restaurant was clean and the service was quick. Although the staff don't speak Japanese it was a nice touch to be welcomed into the restaurant with irashaiimasu that you'd expect in Japan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Happy HourLuluBosDined on 7/12/2014Went here for the happy hour (ends at 5PM) on Sat. The prices are great for happy hour but a bit pricey any other time. Additionally if you come with a big group it can get complicated ordering (one item was forgotten!) but overall a great place and great serviceSpecial Features:
- frest beefMiliDined on 7/9/2014I love the beef there, always nice and fresh. Although I was a little bit disappointed when I heard the green tea crepe was just run out, and only have the chocolate favor....Special Features:
- Prices are high for small portions.JakeDined on 7/7/2014Although the food is good, the portions are small for the high prices. We went to Gyu-Kaku in Pasadena and they had various all-you-can-eat offerings, which were great. This Boston location should do the same.Special Features:
- Hot4FoodVIPDined on 7/6/2014Straightforward and very good japanese bbq, grilling at the table makes for interactive dinner. Friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!teemoetheeDined on 6/7/2014I enjoy this restaurant very much. It's a great place to dine and the food is excellent. It's a new experience for most and it's definitely different than your regular dining experiences at other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewuserDined on 6/1/2014The food was great and the indoor bar-b-q was a great idea. Our server was nice to go thru the menu with us and she was very friendly. The only thing to complaine is the front desk girl that was on duty on Sunday, June 1st, 2014. She was very unfriendly to my guest as he walked into the restaurant. I asked my guest to head into the restaurant while I drove down the road to find parking. As he was entering the restaurant, the front desk girl did not greet him. He then said to her that he had a reservation at 1pm and that the other person was looking for parking. She then responded to my guest with an attitude, saying: "feel free to find a seat at the bar while waiting, we are not to seat anyone until all the members of the party arrives."Special Features:
- We are regulars!regularsVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our family loves this place. Friendly, great food, moderate pricing, and makes us happy!Special Features:
- Tasty, good menu and qualityBrklnetrDined on 5/29/2014Very Japanese in feel, as it is a Japanese chain I think, and nice to have higher quality yakiniku BBQ place here. The end part of service was really slow - 40 mins to get s'mores plate (just raw to grill ourselves) and check and parent done. This was the non kid friendly part! It was late and we didn't expect the extra 45 mins of meal time. But they loved the food. Ask which meats are plain if that matters and get things like corn that they will like. But very nice atmosphere and good to have in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to bbq by yourselfOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/25/2014Meats and veggies for BBQ are good quality. Kobe Style Kalbi Short Rib, Assorted vegetables, and Green tea crepe make my dinner fly. Corn on cob makes my daughter happy, together with a fun bbq process. Great place for casual dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- instantreplayDined on 5/24/2014I visited the branch California branch a year ago so I decided to take my friends to the Boston location to celebrate their college graduation. We had a blast! Everything was excellent! The food, the atmosphere, the service...etc. We will definitely be going back :)Special Features:
- Ted was awesomeomnomnomVIPDined on 5/21/2014Ted the waiter was great at explaining the whole BBQ restaurant concept to my Dutch friends and made excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting foods and happy hoursBeChouieDined on 5/17/2014I come here a lot for happy hour and for dinner. It's one of the place in the neighborhood I love to chill with my friends. The foods in here is good. My favorite would be the grill beef tongue, duck breast, chicken liver and finally the green tea crepes! Never had enough of them!Special Features:
- Same as BBQ in JapanObi1Dined on 5/14/2014This is a branch of very popular BBQ (Yakiniku) restaurant chain in Japan. Perfect for the people who want to cook the meat by yourself, with your pace and finish control. Best for Japanese people living here for a long time. All popular menu of beef (harami, karubi, ...) taste very good. The volume of each beef menu is similar to Japanese standard (not so much).Special Features:
- Win win for everybodyLoudbunchDined on 5/11/2014We had a great time here! Food was great and the ambiance was very nice. Our kids were loud but it wasn't that noticeable as the overall noise level was pretty high and the waiters did a great job accommodating our hungry bunch! Highly recommend it for the food and the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014our server was excellent and very accommodating of my girlfriends gluten free status.Special Features:
- Workin' for lunchOut4LunchVIPDined on 5/1/2014A definite lunch favorite with my crowd - where can you get this much delicious food for such a great price, and have fun "grilling" to your specifications. Okay... so maybe "working" to cook your own food seems difficult - but it's a great conversation starter, the choices are limitless, and the service is always good.Special Features: