808 Bienville St.
New Orleans, LA 70112Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gwfins.com/
- Phone: 5045813467
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tenney Flynn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining up to 28 people - restaurant available for buyouts.
A word from GW Fins
Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (New Orleans magazine's 2004 "Chef of the Year") ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness, variety and to the guest are some of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
GW Fins - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
GW Fins reviews from OpenTable diners
603 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (420)fit for foodies (418)romantic (298)notable wine list (211)good for groups (188)neighborhood gem (157)hot spot (140)vibrant bar scene (40)scenic view (16)late-night find (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Happy in NOLALovenewplacesDined on 10/18/2014After eating heavy, fried foods in calorie rich sauces in other New Orleans restaurants, CW Fins was a welcomed breath of fresh air. The menu was what tempted us to secure a reservation and it did not disappoint! All four of us raved about the unique, masterfully executed fare, from appetizers through entrees and crowned by dessert and after dinner drinks. The wait staff was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive...all that you could ask for. The restaurant's ambiance felt warmly intimate despite its open floor plan. The decor was well appointed. We rank our experience here as one of the top 10 meals of our restaurant dining experiences!Special Features:
- Great accommodation !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I made a mistake in the time I entered on my opentable app. I did not realize I had entered military time of 17:00 thinking I was entering 7:00 PM. I realized my mistake at 3:00 and called the restaurant. GWFins was awesome to accommodate us on a busy night. They took us at 7:00 and we had a great meal. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in a word...rickyVIPDined on 10/17/2014SUPERB! my husband and i are uber critical but i can't make one negative comment about this restaurant. from beginning to end, it was a great experience. if you go, please have the yellowtail tartare appetizer; it was incredible! the biscuits are wonderful. the service is attentive, knowledgeable and friendly and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014The food was amazing. Salads, vegetable sides, BBQ shrimp - it was all delicious. The staff was attentive, helpful and personable. This is one of New Orleans' best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpentableuserVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food here is great - every time I have been here. It is unique and changes based on what is fresh and in season. Service is usually great. At times they seem overwhelmed, especially on busy weekend nights. That said, I would never hesitate to return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Love this place Always a favorite when in New OrleansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLoPaDined on 10/17/2014Top notch food for each course. there's a reason why the lobster dumplings are famous...they are excellent. red snapper was a perfectly crafted symphony of flavors. Salty Malty ice cream pie topped it all off perfectly. Marlon D is outstanding wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expensive as I expected.RobkressDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is rated $$$. And it is but it didn't cost as much for our dinner as it could have. The wife and I spent $100 for 2 starters, 2 drinks, and 2 entrées. It has everything that you would expect, good service and great food. But we felt like we were treated to a higher level of service than we were paying for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAll4FOODDined on 10/16/2014One word that can describe this dining experience. Quickly becoming one of my New Orleans favorites. The food or the service will not disappoint. My wife and I gave eaten here several times and it is always the level of quality. We look forward to our next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and disappointingStevefuzzyVIPDined on 10/16/2014While the fish seemed fresh enough, the dishes were surprisingly bland for such a highly rated restaurant. The chef does not seem to know his way around a salt and paper shaker, much less more exotic spices. While not bad, everything we had was basically just adequate. More On par with the Bonefish Grill than with a fine dining establishment.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in New OrleansDiner7766Dined on 10/16/2014One of my top five meals ever!service and lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first day in New OrleansAntoinetteCDined on 10/15/2014The food was delicious, my next trip to New Orleans I will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at GW FinsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014The food was amazing. My husband and I each had different fish dishes and both were very good. Nothing out of this world fantastic, but very good. I would go back!Special Features:
- 25th Anniversary TerrificCatskillFoodieDined on 10/14/2014We spent our 25th Anniversary dinner at GW Fins and enjoyed it tremendously. Throughout the meal our fine waiter, Carl, was appropriately attentive but, never hovering. I cannot recommend the lobster dumplings to strongly. they melted in my mouth with a flavor I have never experience before. I could have made a meal of just them. My wife had the tuna tartar and was also delighted. For my main course I had the sea bass with mushrooms and bok choy. Excellant! My wife had the Parmesan crusted Drum which was magnificent. For dessert the restaurant treated us to a delicious chocolate bombe as an anniversary gift. How thoughtful. I recommend this as one of the finest seafood restaurants in which I have eaten. It exceeded Le Bernardin .Special Features:
- Great dining option in the QuarterOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/14/2014We dined at GW Fins and were not disappointed. The Lionfish ceviche was very tasty, as were our entrees. The fish was expertly cooked, as is to be expected. Servers were tentative and friendly, coming by with continuous rounds of warm biscuits.Special Features:
- Best food everOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2014I'm not exaggerating. This was quite possible the best food I've ever eaten. We were sad to hear that their signature scalibut was not on the menu the night we were dining there, but if that's their best dish the ones we had can't be far behind. The lobster dumpling appetizer was melt in your mouth good. My grouper on a bed of sweet potato and corn was spot on. My wife had the swordfish which was also tasty but not as good as mine. We finished with the best bread pudding either of us has ever tasted. The dark chocolate chunks cooked in the pudding are to die for. John, our waiter took good care of us without smothering as did all of the other helpers. All in all it was a perfect meal to end our time in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatalyDined on 10/13/2014Excellent restaurant. The food was really good.We had the lobster dumplings followed by the salibut which was amazing. To finish this off we had a salty malty for dessert. Everything was great We highly recommend this restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!BwanDined on 10/13/2014Great meal, service etc... Will be back. Don't know how I missed this great restaurant in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2EatVIPDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food -- Lobster dumplings were amazing. Scalibut was delicious! Great service. I have no complaints and would dine here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off great.......Krueg2812Dined on 10/13/2014Our food was great and service started off great, but the service after our entrees were served disappeared. Our entree plates were cleared and our server (Carl) placed clean forks and knives down, but never asked if we were having dessert. We waited for 20 plus minutes and then we were offered bread by the bread person (huh?). At that point my belly was registering full and we no longer desired dessert and our server finally came (he had been standing at the bar almost the entire time) and he got around to offering dessert and we declined and he apologized and brought our bill with one of their ice cream desserts (why?). I can't eat dairy and wouldn't have a dessert without coffee anyway. It ruined our dining experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food, Attentive StaffStrigineFoodieDined on 10/13/2014This remarkable seafood restaurant was recommended by multiple friends, family members, and on-line reviewers: it did not disappoint. Easy to make on-line reservations; lovely setting in the French Quarter in the heart of New Orleans; superb food, with an obvious focus on a wide range of fresh seafood. The staff were particularly attentive: unexpectedly on my own for dinner, I was graciously given several magazines by my waiter to have something to read while awaiting my food. Not cheap, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Don't MissGodfatherDined on 10/13/2014The service is top notch and friendly from the hostess right down to the bus boy and the owner came over to say hello to boot. The menu is wonderful with great unexpected combinations, soft shell crab with scallions and bacon, lobster pot stickers, fresh lock fish with a menu that changes daily depending on what local fish is available that day. My wife is a vegetarian and she said the assorted veggie platter was the best she ever had as there were so many different vegetables from brussel spouts, grilles asparagus cauliflower spinach etc, not your typical boring trio of standard uninspired vegetables. We enjoyed it so ugh after we dined there on Tuesday we booked another reservation for Thursday night.Special Features:
- louisDined on 10/13/2014Great food and service, a must do, but you pay for it. Still great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTmcnpDined on 10/13/2014The entire experience was wonderful. The food was amazing. Lobster ravioli best thing I have eaten. Definite recommendationSpecial Features:
- Great service. Food ok.TxTarheelDined on 10/12/2014Oliver was a fantastic, attentive waiter. The food was just mediocre at best outside of the bread pudding which was delicious. I'm not sure how this place is rated so high. I've had much better upscale cuisine in New Orleans and we won't return to GW Fins.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, attentive serviceMeladavDined on 10/12/2014We had a very enjoyable meal at GW Fins! Everything from the lion fish seviche appetizer to dessert was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The restaurant experience at G W Fins was one of our highlights in New Orleans. The food was fabulous. The ambiance was elegant and the service was warm, caring and attentive but not intrusive. It was my daughter's birthday and they made her feel very special.Special Features:
- Always greatTuggoDined on 10/12/2014Wife and I had dinner at GW Fin's after seeing one of the musicals at the Saenger. Each time we have dined here has always been a very pleasant experience. The restaurant was busy Sunday evening but we were seated in one of the back rooms. The wait staff would close the doors to the main dining room which made for a much quieter and cozy atmosphere. The wait staff we had were excellent- friendly, outgoing, and very attentive. I had the salmon with a jalapeno seasoning. It was smoky and seasoned but not hot or spicy like when you think "jalapeno" which was exactly the waiter described it. My wife's grouper was also excellent. We each had a couple of drinks with our meal and at the end were pleasantly surprised the cost was very reasonable.Special Features:
- Best selection of fishFrechquartertransplantsDined on 10/12/2014We have a lot of great restaurants in New Orleans but when you want fish, and you want a variety of choices, GW Fins is hard to beat. I appreciate the effort they put into matching the preparation style, sides and sauces to each type of fish.. Each dish is unique so it is the kind of place you are drawn back to again and again to explore the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingGreatFoodDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and fantastic service. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A consistent favorite.MandL1997Dined on 10/11/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is consistently delicious, and service is wonderful. With so many choices in New Orleans, we find ourselves always going back to GW. As locals, that says a lot. The soft shell crab is to die for, and the signature "scalibut" is one not to miss. Great place all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious and atmosphere was hip and swank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed with GW FinsgourmetdinerDined on 10/11/2014This was our 2nd time at Fins - outstanding service and seafood as usual. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Absolutely PhenomenalRickyBVIPDined on 10/11/2014Rarely that I am excited and rave about a restaurant; however, GW Fins has met this threshold. I took my family there for dinner. From arrival to departure, I have nothing to criticize (constructive or otherwise)! I would return in a heart beat! One of the most outstanding elements was the "Noise Level" (for someone with hearing limitations this becomes a major issue in a crowded and noisy atmosphere). It was a moderate to slight energy (but bear in mind that I think a "energetic" noise level is a "smoke screen" for dog gone noisy) leaving me with the opportunity to interact with my family and not be a so called "bump on the log." Highly recommend - would return definitely and in my visit an outstanding experience. Thank you GW Fins!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good- noisy,rather expensivePeepsDined on 10/11/2014Our server Marlon was very friendly and knowledgeable explaining the dishes very well. We were 4 and all rated the appetizers and mains as very good - two rated the bread pudding as excellent. Lobster dumplings were tasty but no lobster tasted or seen. We had 3 different fish entrees (grouper, scalibut and sheepshead) all very tasty and well prepared, somewhat on the smaller side while one ordered the pork chop which was very large. The restauant is very large and noisy, there is a very nice small room with about 8 tables if you want something quieter but every time the door is opened the noise rushes in. I am hard of hearing so would have great difficulty enjoying conversation in teh large room. Somewhat over priced in my opinion.Special Features:
- Scallibut.NdngolferVIPDined on 10/11/2014A halibut filet top with scallops and a light crispy Parmigiana cheese crust. An amazing fish combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- georgeDined on 10/11/2014wonderful food, friendly service and overall great experience
- Fun SpotRushVIPDined on 10/10/2014Welcoming! Nice place to relax and enjoy a fun evening in the quarter. Terrific staff, "fresh" seafood, great view of the French Quarter Streets, and invited to "sit and enjoy" the evening .. which we did ... vibrate bar scene ... pleasant staff ... timely service ... hours seemed liked minutes ... most enjoyable!Special Features:
- OutstandinggVeraDined on 10/10/2014Believe the reviews. This seafood is unbelievable. The chef is a sauce guru. Service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationLoveLifeDined on 10/10/2014My fiancé and I went here for his birthday dinner. It was great! I made reservations and told the restaurant that it was his birthday. They made a menu that said happy birthday to him on it and both the hostess and server wished him a happy birthday without me reminding them that it was his birthday. The food was tasty! The restaurant is definitely focused on presentation so you do not get an abundance of food, but it's enough to leave you satisfied. This is definitely a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.