808 Bienville St.
New Orleans, LA 70112Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gwfins.com/
- Phone: (504) 581-3467
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tenney Flynn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining up to 28 people - restaurant available for buyouts.
A word from GW Fins
Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (New Orleans magazine's 2004 "Chef of the Year") ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness, variety and to the guest are some of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
GW Fins - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
GW Fins reviews from OpenTable diners
669 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (484)special occasion (447)romantic (311)notable wine list (234)good for groups (215)neighborhood gem (173)hot spot (169)vibrant bar scene (51)late-night find (18)scenic view (16)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Nice Restaurant in the French Quarter.DailyDinerDined on 11/19/2014This was my first time at GW Fins. Our meeting was work related but conversation quickly shifted away from work and towards our excellent food. I had the Scalibut as it was my first time there (along with Bok Choy & Ice Cream cake dessert). I would definitely recommend that dish. The ambiance was nice and the wine list was solid as well. Overall summary - good spot in the French Quarter.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The food and service were outstanding. The restaurant decor is modern, which contrasts with other New Orleans restaurants. I strongly suggest you try this restaurant when you are in New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SunolaVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. There are so many great restaurants in New Orleans, and we've tried many of them. GW Fins is one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is hands down the best Restraunt aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014The service is the best everyone makes you feel like family the food dishes are unique and outrageous everything is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceLighteaterDined on 11/17/2014Hard to get reservations so plan early! Food was amazing... husband had gumbo which was unbelieveable. We both had fish which was amazingly fresh and beautifully presented. Sorbet for dessert -- mango and cocoanut was deeply flavorful and not too sweet. Service at the bar and at the tables was amazing. Our server, Allen (from Queens) was amazingly knowledgable, attentive even tho the restaurant was very busy and very warm and inviting. High marks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kimo824Dined on 11/16/2014We ordered the signature dishes- the lobster dumplings and both the sheepshead and the scalibut. All great but the sheepshead was best. Desert wasn't bad either. A memorable meal indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great gluten free optionsMelissaDined on 11/16/2014I brought my guest who was traveling from DC and she loved the food. We had the pleasure of being served by Ryan who took very good care of us. The ambiance and the choice of gluten free items on the menu were a very nice bonus. Thank you for a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scalibut is amazing!Thickm1VIPDined on 11/16/2014We had a great date night! My husband and I were taken care of by Jason. He recommended the lobster dumplings and pork/watermelon apps! They were delish! The roll service was on point as well. Jason was awesome and knew the menu very well. We will be back and hopefully for some Oysters we heard were so good! My only dislike was the greeting and hostess. It was a lil harsh/stressful for being the first reservation time (4:30) and the floor was empty. Jason and the food made it much better! We will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special ocassionsCMGNJDined on 11/15/2014We went here for dinner for an anniversary weekend in New Orleans based on a recommendation from a coworker. They print the menus daily, so if you are going for a special occasion, they'll give you a personalized menu to take as a souvenir. We also got a free dessert. The lobster dumpling appetizer is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten, but I wasn't overly impressed with the house special Scalibut. My husband described the food as excellent, but the atmosphere as corporate. It's not particularly romantic or "New Orleans-y", but it's a very nice restaurant and I'm glad we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itJP2013Dined on 11/15/2014I planned ahead and booked my reservation at GW Fins, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the salmon, which was very good. My companions also really loved the sheepshead and the lobster dumplings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday LunchNOfoodieDined on 11/15/2014The food, service and ambience were fabulous. We were celebrating my friends birthday. Unlike many other places where you mention this and nothing happens, they embraced the celebration. The menu said Happy Birthday at the top. Our table had a ribbon across it and the waitress served a wonderful birthday dessert. Great place with a great attention to detail. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GW Fins never failsrkkrVIPDined on 11/14/2014Be sure to get a reservation because they fill up fast. The lobster dumplings are fantastic. The scalibit is a joy. It melts in your mouth. The Carolina jolt snapper was good, but paled in comparison to the rest of the meal. We would order something else next time. Get the salty malty pie. Lots of places do salted caramel something---but this is an ice cream pie that's perfectly served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out with a customer and colleagues.Sarge157Dined on 11/12/2014The food was great, the wine recommendation excellent, and the service very good.Special Features:
- best of the bestsidekickDined on 11/12/2014I eat out often at gourmet restaurants, and the dinner I had was one of the best I have ever had. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place for dinner in NO.Mjgraham4Dined on 11/12/2014We eat there with a large group every jazz fest. I also go there whenever I am in town for business. I took three friends there this week. They were so impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner in NOLANikiVIPDined on 11/11/2014Dinner was wonderful! Our waiter, Marlon, was attentive, helpful, and extremely professional. The food was outstanding...I had the Redfish dinner and my husband had the Scalibut (halibut with scallops on top) which he loved. We shared Lobster Dumplings as our appetizer. The lobster filling was fresh and plentiful, and the dumpling dough was thin and tender. No room for dessert, maybe next time. I highly recommend GW Fins for dinner in NOLA>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in NOLA on this TripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2014Great restaurant experience two years ago, even better this time. We enjoyed GF Fins more than the traditional "big name" restaurants, especially the one just across the street (beginning with letter "A"). Brilliant presentation and execution of the signature scallop/halibut dish, the sautéed red snapper. Wine, Moet Imperial, pared beautifully with all dishes. Everything fine dining should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly wonderful foodYolieVIPDined on 11/11/2014Having been born in New Orleans, it is hard to impress me with dining here when I return. However, GW Fins did a fine job of doing exactly that. A few service glitches that I wouldn't expect from such an establishment, but from the shrimp remoulade salad to the scalibut signature dish to the finale of caramel ice cream pie...plus to die for drop biscuits...both my husband and I hard w wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Believe the hype...it's that great!amanda45VIPDined on 11/10/2014Went here for dinner last night. I read all of the great reviews, and honestly did not expect for this place to live up to the hype. Well...I was wrong...it really IS that good. We were seated 5 minutes after we arrived for our 7:15 reservation. The place is gorgeous. Our waiter was outstanding, explained the menu, told us what his favorite dishes were, and was professional. I had the soft shell crab appetizer, and my husband had the lobster dumplings. Both were outstanding. I had the scalibut dinner- honestly, it was the best fish dinner I've ever had, without question. Seasoned perfectly, cooked to perfection...heavenly. For dessert, we shared the salty malty pie. I'd kill someone over that pie, it was that good. Top 10 places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjayrVIPDined on 11/10/2014Billed as one of the best seafood places on OpenTable, this absolutely the truth. We had an unbelievable experience on Monday 11/10/14, from Aaron our server to the amazing wine selections to the best seafood I have had in ages. We were served some amazing warm biscuits and my wife asked about an ingrediant We started with the crab cake which was delicious especially with the tamarind coulis and the jicima slaw. Next came the Shrimp Rémoulade, divine. Finally the entree, Scalibut, OMG this is an amazing dish that you have to try and the Lobster risotto is an incredible accompaniment. All in all it was one of the best dining experiences I have had anywhere.Special Features:
- Good Food - Excellent ServiceTobyVIPDined on 11/9/2014There are many good places to eat in the French Quarter. This should be at the top of your list. Reservations are a must and this is a good place to 'dress up'. Seafood a specialty as you can tell by the name, but other dishes served as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceFriedgreentomatoesVIPDined on 11/9/2014Much better food than higher rated restaurants. Waiter was friendly and extremely knowledgable. Best dessert out of 5 top rated NOLA restaurants (peanut butter ice cream pie).I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2014excellent meal and service. I would go back without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth wateringjgdeuxDined on 11/9/2014Mouth watering fish prepared in unique ways on a daily basis. Lots of great choices. One of these days I need to get around to the steaks but always always leave room for the salty mAlty ice cream pie. Service was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals ever!PJBSLSDined on 11/8/2014This had to be one of the best meals my husband and I have eaten in a long time. If you only have one choice go there. It will be memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerLizzieDined on 11/8/2014Absolutely wonderful!! It was my dads birthdAy and he was treated so special!! The staff were attentive, knowledgable and friendly! Every single item we ordered was mouth watering!! Have to try the pork belly and compressed watermelon appetizer. I will be back and back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to GW Fins.MROSUDined on 11/8/2014Excellent choice of fresh fish. Service was outstanding and food marvelous.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance- mediocre food24dinnerDined on 11/8/2014We were impressed with the location, décor, general ambiance and friendly courteous service. As a family we try to order 4 different entrees to see which are great, good , so-so or tasteless. The special of the house Scalibut and they will explain it. It was bland and very disappointing. Of the four entrees only the Scottish Salmon was good. The rest of the meal was So-so. For the price it was not good value
- Do not miss this restaurant!HelmaxVIPDined on 11/7/2014I was in Nola for only 2 nights so I had a tough decision narrowing it down to 2 restaurants with so many excellent choices. I am so glad I chose GW Fins!! Excellent food, attentive and friendly service and terrific atmosphere. I called early in the morning to amend my reservation and not only did the owner answer the phone but graciously accommodated my request (I must have been very lucky, because it is not an easy reservation in the first place). You can see the attention to the customer in every part of GW Fins, from the delicious food to the excellent service. I had the Scalibut---sensational, and do not miss the Salty Malty dessert---we all went crazy over it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!JCNOLAVIPDined on 11/7/2014Never fails to be the best seafood in New Orleans. Only the freshest fish so the menu changes daily. Comined with impeccable service, it's impossible to beat.Special Features:
- Just short of outstandingTexasfamilyoffourDined on 11/7/2014I booked a special occasion dinner at GW Fins for an anniversary and early birthday celebration combo. The restaurant had confetti sprinkled on our table, a commemorative menu printed and waiting, and treated to a birthday desert. However, I felt like our waiter was slightly impatient with us and I did not walk away feeling that the experience was the five star occasion I had hoped for mostly because of this. Our food choices were all very tasty - this restaurant knows its seafood! -- but I felt that the portions were on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continually exceeds expectations.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014For the second time in three years, we celebrated our anniversary at GW Fins. And for the second time, we were blown away. Our server, Ryan, was at the very top of his game. Attentive, informative and welcoming, he guided us to excellent selections up and down the menu. The food, as always, was outstanding. Fish so moist and tender, desserts rich and indulgent and creative drink selections with a twist. All in a magnificent, upscale but relaxed, atmosphere. The best seafood we've tasted, at one of the best restaurant experiences in the country. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and biscuits!FoodwinegalDined on 11/7/2014Service was top notch and the drop biscuits are to die for. Best dishes in our group were the lobster dumpling and the pork chop. Great place!Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsswtpepperDined on 11/7/2014Based on the recommendations I received from friends, I expected this to be a good meal and a pleasant dining experience. Our evening at GW Fins was definitely not a disappointment. The staff were gracious and kind, going above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and satisfied. The food was impeccable, with every course exceeding our expectations. I would highly recommend this restaurant and will return on my next trip to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceLAProudDined on 11/7/2014Fantastic food and very good service. The menu offered a very wide variety of tasty, fresh and uniquely prepared food. Great drink and wine menu as well. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Orleans Hot SpotStreamborneDined on 11/6/2014Anyone who's been to Bourbon Street knows that it can be perceived as more than a little seedy. But just a quarter block off it is one of the classiest restaurants - GW Fins. The décor is first-rate - cool iron work and lighting. The service is impeccable. We shared an appetizer - miniature scallops swimming in a tasty sauce. My friend's wedge salad and my Ceasar were uniquely presented and excellent. My friend had parmesan-crusted sheepshead and I had blackened black drum - both are mild white fish from local waters. The preparations were outstanding. We shared a caramel and white chocolate bread pudding - great! Prices were quite reasonable by the standards of our home cities. All in all, a very memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!katjapflDined on 11/6/2014Our party of four all ordered seafood entrees and every one was divine. We had a lovely booth in the back of the restaurant and the service was impeccable. We enjoyed every aspect of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFuzzyBeaverVIPDined on 11/6/2014Starters were shrimp salad and BBQ shrimp. Mains were pork chop, pecan-crusted sheepshead fish, pork chop, halibut. Although the food was quite good, it was a notch below other restaurants from the week. It just seemed to be missing that extra something. We were expecting a bit more based on other reviews. The service was excellent and he provided outstanding wine recommendations. The restaurant was packed and quite noisy.Special Features:
- Paramount ServiceRGandHGDined on 11/6/2014We made a reservation (required ) on a week night. The table was ready ontime. The wait staff was very friendly and professional. They were outstanding at filling our glasses or providing anything we needed. Hands down the best service we have experienced. The food was spectacular! Try the lobster dumplings for an appetizer. Don't forget the Salty Malty Ice cream pie for dessert! WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngelaVIPDined on 11/6/2014As good as it gets for fresh seafood. Have never been disappointed in the seafood. I had sheepshead on my last visit and it was amazing!Special Features: