808 Bienville St.
New Orleans, LA 70112Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gwfins.com/
- Phone: 5045813467
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tenney Flynn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining up to 28 people - restaurant available for buyouts.
A word from GW Fins
Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (New Orleans magazine's 2004 "Chef of the Year") ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness, variety and to the guest are some of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
GW Fins - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
GW Fins reviews from OpenTable diners
551 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (406)fit for foodies (354)romantic (298)notable wine list (196)good for groups (148)neighborhood gem (137)hot spot (111)vibrant bar scene (42)scenic view (20)late-night find (18)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Food was top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Great food! Definently going back! The food is perfect and unique. The bar staff is great! Wonderful restaurant with great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodMikeeDined on 9/15/2014Lived up to its reputation as one of the best seafood restaurants in NOLA. Highly recommend include it on your "must go" restaurants.Special Features:
- Incredible foodJudieDined on 9/13/2014When in New Orleans, GW Fins should be on one of your must go to place for dinner. Great selection of fresh fish. Wonderful appetizers and great survive to go along with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best seafood meals I have ever had. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- One of the best in nolaRandykDined on 9/13/2014We are locals, we dine here often. One of our favorite spotsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014First of all, the place looks incredible. Like the perfect stage to serve fine food. The dishes we had were fabulous. The fish were as fresh as possible. Wait staff were a bit off, and definitely not up the standard of this room or the food coming out of the kitchen. Overall, the food outweighed the shortcomings of the wait staff, and would absolutely return.Special Features:
- The Devil's in the detailsJustVisitingDined on 9/12/2014Tripadvisor rates GW Fins as number one, so that is what we tried. We did have the good fortune of being placed in the farthest corner of the back room. Expert lighting, muted sounds and padded linen table were the perfect stage for a romantic dinner meal. Our sever Jason was personable, professional and attentive. As for the food? Signature mojo cocktail came warm on the bottom cold on the top and could not declare itself - it was thankfully returned. The tartar appetizer, a mix of yellow tuna, mango and avocado could have had fresher fish, more mango and less fridge time. The signature Scalobit dish would have pleased had it not been served on tepid bed of risotto. It was enjoyable, not stunning or worth revisiting, but enjoyable.
- Absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014My parmesan encrusted drum topped with lump crab meat and served with asparagus and crispy capers was one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth! My husband's swordfish with sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes was equally delicious. A place you could go again and again to fully explore the menu. Service was attentive and helpful. Groups on the main floor kept the noise level up, but a booth on the upper level back rim kept us tucked away and feeling private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Visit When In NOLAAuggieDined on 9/11/2014Make sure to dine at GW Fins the next time you are in New Orleans ! Great staff, ambiance, and food. The house specialty is Scallibut: a combination of sliced scallops layered on halibut then pan seared on a bed of lobster risotto - sublime !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oasis amid the chaosDaviDined on 9/11/2014When you first walk in you realize it's not just another Bourbon street restaurant. Far exceeded our expectations. My husband had the filet, one of the best ever. I had the house scalibut, unusual taste sensation, absolutely delicious. Thank you for the experience, especially because it was my husbands. 69 th birthday!! Everyone greeted him with a birthday wish all nite long. Thank you for the complimentary bread pudding desert and the Happy Birthday Plate, how cute was that!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceVanFoodieDined on 9/10/2014First time visitors to New Orleans and first time to GW Fins. While the stroll down Bourbon St. can only be described as a gong show, once we got to the restaurant it was well worth it. The wine list is good from the choice and price perspective. Had a very nice Pinot Noir (~$80). For dinner, the Sword Fish was very good. Well prepared, cooked to perfection. My dining companion was very pleased with her meal as well. I would recommend this for a high class, relatively pricey experience.Special Features:
- Great NightCrazy4FoodDined on 9/10/2014We are from Louisiana and love great food. So when visiting New Orleans we always choose a different restaurant. This was our 20th Anniversary and GW Fins was the perfect place for us. The menu is prepared daily - so every day it is a menu of specials. When asked to recommend a wine for the occasion, our server, Oliver suggested a relatively inexpensive bottle - totally unexpected. We opted for a more expensive version. Also recommended by our server, we started off with the Lobster Dumplings - they were stupid good. We then had a Yellowfin Crudo - wow. The entrée was the Scalibut - also wonderfully prepared and mouthwatering. Also provided a customized menu for our occasion, a dessert with "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate. Love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceNinaVIPDined on 9/8/2014GW Fins deserves the No. 1 rank in Trip Advisor's list. Food, service and ambience were as expected - tops! Our wait staff, Allen, was pleasant and very attentive. In fact, all of the staff at GW Fins were very attentive - seemed like they are all there to please their guests. This restaurant is definitely a come-back place.Special Features:
- First Time to GWFINNSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Picked up the high marks on Trip Advisor, Great selection, great service, overall a wonderful experience from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinneranniversayDined on 9/7/2014they made our trip to New Orleans!they decorated the table, had a special menu printed with our name and anniversary date on it. the server was very helpful and attentive. we split the crab dumpling appetizer and we thought they could not be topped, we were wrong. my wife had the swordfish and i had the scalibut, both were amazing.this was by far the best dinning experience we have had ever. when we left everyone wished us a happy anniversary on the way in and out. they made our day very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as usualJCNOLAVIPDined on 9/6/2014Hands down (or is that forks down), this is the BEST seafood restaurant in New Orleans! It always has fresh fish prepared in ways that bring out the best in the fish. Pot stickers are soooo good. Gumbo, with a dark roux, fabulous. Fish changes everyday according to what genius Chef Tenney can get. Great location - one block to validated parking in a garage and 1/2 block off Bourbon.Special Features:
- FiinfanDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, as usual. The service was outstanding. Waiter was extremely knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:
- Delicious birthday dinnerPerfectDined on 9/5/2014No better place to celebrate my 30th than at GW Fins. Went to NOLA for a weekend. My best friend made reservations for us to eat at GW Fins after much research and after reading many reviews. The food was delicious! Everything tasted so fresh and their menu differs daily based on the day's catch. Service was quick, but perfect enough to enjoy time to catch up with my best friend. We literally ate every morsel of food off every one of our plates (embarrassing!). Thank you GW Fins for an amazing dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NOLAs finest restaurantsMalbusterDined on 9/5/2014From the moment we arrived, the service was impeccable. The bar staff were attentive and our waiter,Moose, knew exactly how to pace the courses. The food was over the top. The octopus appetizer was so tasty, and my John Dore was cooked to perfection. I believe a lot of GW Fins success is it's attention to details. The dining area had its own manager, Terrence, who made sure each dish was as ordered and the owner , Gary, paid attention to us like we were family. I recommend this as a must go to restaurant if you are in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOLAweekenderDined on 9/5/2014Food was amazing! Blue Crab appetizer was wonderful.Special Features:
- Disappointing meal.FunfoodVIPDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant is a large room with tiers of tables, dimly lit, reminded me of a tired upscale diner. Service was indifferent. Waiter recommended the soft shell crab appetizer which was deeply fried, no special flavors. The restaurant specialty of scalibut just tasted like halibut and scallops, adequate but bland. The accompanying lobster risotto was an unappealing scoop of glooey risotto with a small piece of lobster on the side, again, no distinct flavor. The bread pudding was a large portion of overly sweet bread pudding. They did give hot biscuits, no butter, that were just ok. Very disappointing restaurant that is rated so highly on tripadvisor. Makes me wonder is the reviews are real.
- Maybe expectations were too highgatordinerDined on 9/3/2014My spouse and I have eaten at about 12 different very nice restaurants in New Orleans in the last 5 months on work trips. We saw on Trip Advisor that this was rated the #1 restaurant of over 1300 in New Orleans and some local friends recommended it so this time we booked in advance with great anticipation of a top flight meal. We were somewhat disappointed. Not because it was bad but because it wasn't great. The biscuit they brought out before the appetizer was hard and dry. The seafood gumbo was the worst I have had in New Orleans. Very dark like a stew but with no seafood. At least the waiter took it off the bill. Everything else was good including the desserts but nothing really stood out as exceptional.
- Foodies from FlaFlaFoodieDined on 9/3/2014Great meal, excellent food and service 5 star. dessert was also awesome.Special Features:
- The Commander's Palace of seafood.greenrotiferDined on 9/3/2014This is a top notch seafood restaurant. We always use commander's palace as a comparison (if the food is as expensive as commander's palace, the food must be as good as commander's palace). While many restaurants failed at this litmus test, GW Fins had great food and great service. The only difference, is that while superb, the ambiance doesn't have quite the grandeur and persona of Commander's.Special Features:
- Loved it!cgkailua14Dined on 9/3/2014This was our favorite place to dine in New Orleans. We enjoyed it so much that we came back on our last night in town. From the service, to the wine, yummy home baked biscuits, and excellent main course dishes to choose from, we loved it all! We will be back next time we are in town.Special Features:
- AmazingSuzieDined on 9/3/2014Everything from start to finish was stellar. Definently my favoriteSpecial Features:
- A great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014The fish was verry verry good. Don't forget the apple pie. You order it when you order your meal and it cooks while you eat. By the time we finished the waiter was a very close friend. A little pricy but a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulSanAnTXDined on 9/1/2014A local told us about this place and we are so glad we went. We were told it was expensive and were pleasantly surprised to get out the door under $200. Well worth the money spent and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- The best meal I have ever had!MaryJoDined on 9/1/2014This restaurant is right in the French Quarter. The service is wonderful and the ambiance great. We had the scalibut which is their specialty. It is scallops somehow imbedded into halibut. It was served over a bed of lobster risotto. I have eaten in many renowned restaurants and this was without a doubt the best meal I have ever had. The fish was fresh and cooked impeccably. I would go back to New Orleans just to have this meal all over again. The menus is new everyday depending on what items are available seasonally. Apparently the scalibut is a constant.Special Features:
- GREAT!GBibDined on 8/31/2014The cheff probably working hard on every dish. Very good food, great value for money, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Hype Didn't DeliverDinerkjDined on 8/31/2014We chose based on Trip Advisor #1 rating of all restaurants in NOLA. Expected it to be so great. Our waiter had a big attitude, and we found the aura to be haughty in general. We arrived at our table at 7:45pm and were out the door by 9pm with pre-dinner drinks and an appetizer before entrees. That is just way too fast and not the way an expensive restaurant should execute a meal. We weren't even finished with our appetizers, when out came our entrees. Felt like we were really rushed but without reason, since we didn't see anyone waiting for a table, and in fact there were several open tables in the dining room. The food was outstanding and in that department, the kitchen deserves big compliments. Wanted it to be great:-(Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Food was terrific. Staff friendly. Definite stop. Many choices in French Quarter. Rest of trip restaurant choices did not measure up.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Great dinner I had the wahoo my wife had the mahi. Both were amazing cooked just right and the flavor was so good were still talking bout it 4 days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedBCDinnerDined on 8/30/2014GW Fins was recommended by a friend. Food was great. Wine list had a nice variety of by the glass and moderately priced bottles though not extensive. Service was good and some really good appetizers - we had the shrimp and it was fantastic. Apple pie desert was also a hit.
- Great dining experienceChadscouterDined on 8/30/2014My family and I had an opportunity to eat on a Saturday night at GW Fins. It was a great experience in dining. The service was excellent, food was esquicent and the atmosphere was great. I would highly recommend to eat there if in New Orleans. If you love dessert, then try the opera cake and the salty malty ice cream. One of the best dining experiences we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 44th wedding anniversarydebeDined on 8/30/2014We wrote on open table that it would be our 44th wedding anniversary. Well GW Fins out did themselves. We got a special menu printed with our names and the occasion, many well wishes, and free dessert with candle and chocolate writing!!Special Features:
- Yeargan/SmithJudgeDined on 8/30/2014Service was first class. Our waiter was wonderful! He made excellent suggestions for us and appeared each time we needed him. Convenient locatition. Perfect spacing between tables. Can't wait to return. Oh yes, the food was the best we have had in a very long time and the best meal we had during this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!Kinch22VIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent seafood in a great location! Go early for a drink at the bar...it's fun to talk to others sitting near you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way.FoodieDined on 8/29/2014Not only was the food masterfully prepared and well presented, the service was impeccable. It had the feel of old New Orleans with a new and fresh vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Fourth VisitSouthernCommandVIPDined on 8/29/2014GW Fins is always on our must list every time we visit. The soft shell crab was especially enjoyed by our dinner guests.Special Features: