619 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gustosancarlos.com/
- Phone: 6504861479x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tue - Sat 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Mondays and Sundays open only for private events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef - George Morrone; Executive Chef - Ernie Haversack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
A word from Gusto
Join award winning chef George Morrone for a fine dining experience. George has put together an amazing menu including his famous tuna tartar. Come join us for a night to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Gusto - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (38)romantic (32)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)notable wine list (16)hot spot (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014Great first impression when entering into Gusto's. Very Friendly staff with everyone from hostess, waiter and staff greeting us. They not only had a smile but look and sounded like they loved working there. Our waiter was excellent; very good at explaining the dishes and how each was prepared. Great timing and attentiveness. He was always around when we had questions or needed to take our orders without us needing to ask but my wife and I were able to have great converstions without interupption. The food was fantastic from the salad and starter to the main course and dessert. Have added this to our list of favorite local destinations for another night out.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food and ManagementMichaelDDined on 9/19/2014Sorry for lack of details on the dishes. We ate out a lot and we are a little picky as a result. I don't recall how George said he cooked a new york roast but the rare piece he cut off for me just melted in my mouth with the flavor throughout. My wife had Salmon and they prepared a pasta and breaded chicken meal for our 3 year old. I had the strawberry cobbler with vanilla Gelato. George was kind enough to surprise our son with a sundae. The place has a very neighborhood feel to it because of George and the others working there. We will definitely be back there regularly. I would have that New York every time if it was on the regular menu. Had been a long time since I had a meal that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findPaloAltoNeighborVIPDined on 9/17/2014I found this restaurant in Open Table, looking for a place nearby my visiting friend's hotel in San Carlos. I am so glad I found it, as I will certainly come again and will recommend to friends. The good was outstanding, and the wine recommendations were excellent. The wait staff took a long time to come to the table, but once we ordered they were attentive. It was a lively noisy place, and thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful - Every Course!SusanneVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had one of the best dinners ever at Gusto last week! Beginning with an excellent crab cake, through a salad with maybe the best dressing we've ever tasted, and on to my special salmon main course with sautéed mushrooms... A peach cobbler dessert topped off the evening. Gusto's wine list is also excellent. This restaurant gem should be on the SF Chronicle's 100 Best Restaurants list. We'll go back very soon!Special Features:
- Jazzguy1Jazzguy1Dined on 9/12/2014Last Friday we returned for the second time in 8 days, first for our anniversary and now to enjoy a fine dining experience with friends from out of town. For a starter we shared and enjoyed 2 orders of the ahi tuna tartare, which was as good as always. As main courses, 2 had the duck breast, 1 the lamb, and 1 the scallops. All the entrees were outstanding. Since we had such diverse selections, we ordered wine by the glass from the very comprehensive list. Gusto serves some of the best cuisine on the middle peninsula. The staff are welcoming and know the menu well.Special Features:
- George Produce Great FoodfitndineVIPDined on 9/12/2014We really loved our meal. George just knows how to make it perfect. We started with the soups (cold watermelon and hot corn). I am not a fan of watermelon but that soup made me a fan. The corn soup was creamy and light. Second course was George's famous tuna tartare - perfect every time. Third course was the grilled scallops with grilled pineapple and grilled mushrooms - wow! Fourth course was mushroom pasta - gone to heaven and back. Fifth course was chilean sea bass perfectly cooked. Last course was the duck breast with ravioli. This course had a few variations of duck on the plate including the duck ravioli. This was our perfect evening with George Monrone at Gusto.Special Features:
- consistently fabulousKathleenDined on 9/10/2014Six friends met for dinner and we were not disappointed! The sole and sea bass were phenomenal, they had no trouble or concerns accommodating two special diets (palio and gluten free). And the desserts were divine. We will return!Special Features:
- A perfect Anniversary dinner!IcantcookVIPDined on 9/6/2014We visited Gusto last night for the first time to celebrate our Anniversary. The menu clearly displays Chef George Morrone's experience and talent - - this is a San Carlos neighborhood restaurant that rivals the best restaurants in San Francisco. The watermelon gazpacho is simultaneously refreshing and zesty; the Greek salad with heirloom tomatoes was perfection. The entrees were delicious and really teased the tastebuds. We had read earlier reviews that raised concerns about the service - - we found the staff to be attentive, informed and responsive without being overbearing. Chef Morrone came out several times to see how we were enjoying the meal and made all the guests feel at home. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmosphereTajineDined on 9/5/2014We were sat a table next to the window and we enjoyed an array of delicious appetizers including a fettuccine with chanterelle mushroom special, grilled figs and a delicious crab cake. Although his restaurant was packed, chef George (previous from Aqua in the city) checked on us himself several times. Main courses included quail, duck breaks with an outstanding duck confit ravioli and veal shortribs. Dessert was spectacular too, especially the butterscotch pot au creme. We will be back!Special Features:
- Half great- Half notSaltlyVIPDined on 9/4/2014My dinner special of ribs was wonderful. My husband's salmon was so heavily salted it was hardly eatable. The restaurant was very nicely done and the service was overly attentive. They keep trying to take our plates away when were were not yet done. I just think if they use less salt that will help a lot.. I may try again and ask them not to salt our food.Special Features:
- Jazzguy1Jazzguy1Dined on 9/4/2014Gusto offers San Carlos and Peninsula diners a fine dining spot. Executive Chef George Morroni and the kitchen staff prepare a distinctive well-presented menu. There are an array of enticing starters, and I usually settle for the tuna tartare, prepared with Asian pear and pine nuts, which is a special of the house. Nightly specials allow the crew to prepare some remarkable dishes, and tonight's was veal shortribs, soft enough to fall off the bones, and dressed with a delicious, piquant sauce. There is an extensive wine list, and several nice wines are availableby the glass. The fresh white peach and huckleberry cobbler was a bit too doughy, but the taste revealed tasty fruit accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to great!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/22/2014Wether you want to enjoy appetizers 'or' a full meal, it is a great spot. Attentive staff including the chef.Special Features:
- mucho gustokld123VIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed dinner here the other night. Nicely prepared dishes. Good service tho only wine and beer. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014One of the best dining at Gusto.. I had Tuna Tartar and Beef tenderloin, They were fantastic. I will definitely go back and try other dishes..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014best restuart we have had dinner at this year! This chef Rocks..Special Features:
- Overall pretty solidAnonymousDined on 8/2/2014Overall everything was very good. Only complaint would be that there was a big layer of fat left on my duck, which would've been nicer if it were removed. But the food was still very tasty.Special Features:
- Some surprising dishes.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014A good first visit for us. The menu is small but the dishes we had were excellent. To start, I had the Watermelon Gazpacho. It was fantastic. Ice cold and so fresh. A twist on tomato gazpacho with the addition of sweet but not overpowering watermelon. The vegetables were amazingly fresh, crisp and cold. My main course was a rare beef tenderloin. It was wonderful. My wife had a bowl of corn soup (creamy and delicious) along with ahi tartare. The tartare was served with crostini and may have been just a bit better with thinner crackers. Excellent service from a very friendly waiter. We will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/31/2014Great food and service. Refreshing appetizers. (Love the seasonal salad options and appetizers!) It is a nice touch to have a chef who checks in with guests during the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceCounterbanderVIPDined on 7/31/2014Few Peninsular restaurants have this level of city-style sophistication in the cooking and presentation. Delicious, creative dishes. Knowledgeable service. Unusually close personal attention from the chef. There was not much we could fault, here.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceCAKnitDined on 7/25/2014The flavors were fabulous, all the components blended perfectly. everything was fresh. The service was excellent -- the owner seated us and explained the menu. The chef came out several times to discuss the food, asked our names, warm and friendly. The wait staff was attentive. The place is small, the interior is lovely. In all, a great dining experience, we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerSuzieSDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, interestingly cooked (eg figs grilled on a twig with goat's cheese, and the fish dishes were served with grilled Asian pears) and delicious. Even though the menu was short we hard time choosing from so many interesting items we wanted to try. Because of the heat wave we sat outside, which made the occasion more special with a European feel (had requested outdoors on Open Table, but they don't guarantee it, so we may just have gotten lucky). The service was slow, but this is exactly what we wanted for our anniversary and it was lovely not to feel rushed into leaving and to be able to prolong the evening (19:30-21:40) with three courses. The chef came out to explain what the sauces and veg were and make sure we liked it later.Special Features:
- foodloverforlife64Dined on 7/18/2014My beef tenderloin was so delicious. My nephew had the new york slice excellent. The vegetarian plate was very good too. I definitely want to visit again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gusto: pleasant spurgerobles101Dined on 7/18/2014Most of the YELP reviews were very positive, and our experience was reinforcing: interesting menu, fresh ingredients, impressive presentation, delicious food, responsive and available wait staff, frequent visits by the chef himself. Overall a most pleasant meal. For the price, it will remain a destination for special occasions.Special Features:
- Surprise findPeterVIPDined on 7/12/2014Went based on the reviews but had no Idea that the restaurant Chef was the same one that was at Michael Minna and the Tuna Tartare was his famous recipe. Enjoyed all of our dishes and had a very pleasant time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GourmetGalVIPDined on 7/11/2014Lovely little spot in San Carlos featuring warm hospitality from the owner Enzo and Chef Marrone. Very interesting, fresh menu, good portion sizes and service. To go to the next level the service could be a bit more pulled together and the wine list needs some work but overall a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- Cozy; wonderful food; special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/10/2014Dinner at Gusto makes for a special evening not too far from home. Enjoy beautifully prepared food in a cozy setting, accented with attentive but unintrusive service.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant!foodieforeverDined on 7/5/2014Gusto is the place to go for a fabulous meal in comfortable surroundings. The owners, chef, and waitstaff are very attentive, and the food is just wonderful. We split four dishes and were pleasantly engaged with each one--an inventive and savory meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new addition to the Penninsula...143sfoVIPDined on 6/28/2014Lovely evening. So enjoyed the ambiance. Service was efficient, not over-bearing & our waiter offered a plate to share when we couldn't quite make up our mind. Of course the tuna tartare was exquisitive & a must order. The watermelon gazpacho was a pleasant summer twist, the filet of petrale sole & the sea scallop were prepared perfectly & of course we had to indulge in the grand mariner panda cotta! It's terrific to have an added gem of a dining spot to the area & so we thank you Mr. Morrone, Chef Enzo & staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Our first time to dine here. All of the food was well prepared. The wine list is a mix of Italian and Californian. The only complaint was the duck breast serving was small compared to the other dishes we ordered.Special Features:
- lunch at Gusto'sOlgaDined on 6/26/2014Took a friend to Gusto's for her b'day lunch. We shared crab cakes and a salad. Had a good chardonnay. Waiter gave us dessert to order a complimentary b'day dessert which we chose but he brought us a Tiramisu to share which neither of us is fond of. Otherwise, terrific place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and PasqualeJuglyDined on 6/24/2014Four of us went to dinner. Two had been before and all found the food and service outstanding. Upon request, they graciously brought us the menu from their restaurant next door, Positano. I had the halibut which was excellent. Other entrées were the veal, duck and sole. These, also, received big thumbs up, especially the duck. The cream of corn soup received high praise and the butterscotch pot de creme was delightful. We were never rushed or had to ask for attention - it happened seamlessly. Unfortunately the restaurant is long and narrow - not the friendliest arrangement as we went specifically to listen to Pasquale, our favorite Italian tenor. Altogether, a very lovely evening and we will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a 10Tweb2Dined on 6/15/2014We have been to Gusto's four times now and have never left without having an extremely fabulous meal, great service and a wonderful time. We've been fortunate enough to meet the chef personally and what a great guy. We had another favorite spot on Laurel Street in San Carlo's but now this is our one and only go to when were looking for a very fine romantic dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood AdditionImpressedVIPDined on 6/14/2014Took the family here for an early Father's Day dinner yesterday night. For those of you who appreciate the food at Locando Positano next door, but don't like the energy level or noise, Gusto is well worth a try. The food is different, with more Californian influence, but the quality and innovation is excellent. The service is friendly, and energetic, with kindness and flexibility regarding menu explanations, substitutions and accommodations for preferences and food allergies. I would have rated the service higher, but there was a long pause between first and second courses. We will definitely go back, though without our 8th grader, since the level of sophistication in the food was a bit high for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2014Italian restaurant with more of a continental menu. Menu is small but well thought out and executed. Fairly expensive. Dinner for 2 with app, dinner, dessert and wine easily over $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in San CarlosSunstormerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Arrived a little early and were ushered to the very nice bar next door while our table was prepared. We wanted to sit inside and it was pleasant and cozy. Our server provided excellent recommendations for the tuna tartare (wow!), mussels, and duck with interesting wines-by-the-glass to match. The timing was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- George Morrone does it again!LarmoGVIPDined on 6/3/2014We had our first meal at Gusto this week (June 3). George Morrone (Exec Chef) and the owners went out of their way to understand our preferences as to wine and food choices; we felt like VIP clients. The dinner menu is relative small but has very unique and choices when compared to typical Italian fare. The wine choices were quite good. They offered several wines to taste (no charge). We were very impressed and consider Gusto 'THE' best restaurant in the San Carlos village and compares favorably with any San Francisco or Peninsula venue. George Morrone has established a stellar track record and this hold its own among those however in a less pretentious 'neighborhood' style that is very appealing. We will back for sure!Special Features:
- Needs major improvement!FaraVIPDined on 5/30/2014Service slow but friendly server, food average. Price is high for what you get. Six of us ordered fish (server highly recommend) for $35.00 a dish and it looked like they were short on chilian sea bass so they put a small piece in each dish with some uncooked eggplant and one spoon of mushroom and that's it. I had endive salas too and was ok. Even the bread at the table was old and tasteless. The server was nice and friendly. He brought us what he called complimentary dessert, probably because of the expensive wine we ordered or to compensate for the little pieces of fish they served. The tiramisu was previously frozen and it was not even on the menu. Two of my friends who ordered beef got the smallest piece of beef you can get.Special Features:
- JessMVIPDined on 5/29/2014Have eaten here several times now. Consistently outstanding food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealSCFoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Been there twice. Food was outstanding each time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Gusto reviews archive.
- First Time ThereNewtoSFOVIPDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I went to Gusto for the first time and we were extremely impressed. The food was outstanding, the service was the best that we've had in a very long while, and the atmosphere was friendly and open. The owner/chef came to our table and made sure we were happy with our experience. He even gave us two special treats...one that he hasn't put on the menu yet...an apricot-orange with trufffel honey and each served each a soup off his menu, both were delicious! We ARE definitely going again and would recommend this to our friends.Special Features: