619 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gustosancarlos.com/
- Phone: 6504861479x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tue - Sat 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Mondays and Sundays open only for private events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef - George Morrone; Executive Chef - Ernie Haversack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
A word from Gusto
Join award winning chef George Morrone for a fine dining experience. George has put together an amazing menu including his famous tuna tartar. Come join us for a night to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Gusto - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (33)romantic (30)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (11)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Continues to great!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/22/2014Wether you want to enjoy appetizers 'or' a full meal, it is a great spot. Attentive staff including the chef.Special Features:
- mucho gustokld123VIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed dinner here the other night. Nicely prepared dishes. Good service tho only wine and beer. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014One of the best dining at Gusto.. I had Tuna Tartar and Beef tenderloin, They were fantastic. I will definitely go back and try other dishes..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014best restuart we have had dinner at this year! This chef Rocks..Special Features:
- Overall pretty solidAnonymousDined on 8/2/2014Overall everything was very good. Only complaint would be that there was a big layer of fat left on my duck, which would've been nicer if it were removed. But the food was still very tasty.Special Features:
- Some surprising dishes.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014A good first visit for us. The menu is small but the dishes we had were excellent. To start, I had the Watermelon Gazpacho. It was fantastic. Ice cold and so fresh. A twist on tomato gazpacho with the addition of sweet but not overpowering watermelon. The vegetables were amazingly fresh, crisp and cold. My main course was a rare beef tenderloin. It was wonderful. My wife had a bowl of corn soup (creamy and delicious) along with ahi tartare. The tartare was served with crostini and may have been just a bit better with thinner crackers. Excellent service from a very friendly waiter. We will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/31/2014Great food and service. Refreshing appetizers. (Love the seasonal salad options and appetizers!) It is a nice touch to have a chef who checks in with guests during the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceCounterbanderVIPDined on 7/31/2014Few Peninsular restaurants have this level of city-style sophistication in the cooking and presentation. Delicious, creative dishes. Knowledgeable service. Unusually close personal attention from the chef. There was not much we could fault, here.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceCAKnitDined on 7/25/2014The flavors were fabulous, all the components blended perfectly. everything was fresh. The service was excellent -- the owner seated us and explained the menu. The chef came out several times to discuss the food, asked our names, warm and friendly. The wait staff was attentive. The place is small, the interior is lovely. In all, a great dining experience, we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerSuzieSDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, interestingly cooked (eg figs grilled on a twig with goat's cheese, and the fish dishes were served with grilled Asian pears) and delicious. Even though the menu was short we hard time choosing from so many interesting items we wanted to try. Because of the heat wave we sat outside, which made the occasion more special with a European feel (had requested outdoors on Open Table, but they don't guarantee it, so we may just have gotten lucky). The service was slow, but this is exactly what we wanted for our anniversary and it was lovely not to feel rushed into leaving and to be able to prolong the evening (19:30-21:40) with three courses. The chef came out to explain what the sauces and veg were and make sure we liked it later.Special Features:
- foodloverforlife64Dined on 7/18/2014My beef tenderloin was so delicious. My nephew had the new york slice excellent. The vegetarian plate was very good too. I definitely want to visit again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gusto: pleasant spurgerobles101Dined on 7/18/2014Most of the YELP reviews were very positive, and our experience was reinforcing: interesting menu, fresh ingredients, impressive presentation, delicious food, responsive and available wait staff, frequent visits by the chef himself. Overall a most pleasant meal. For the price, it will remain a destination for special occasions.Special Features:
- Surprise findPeterVIPDined on 7/12/2014Went based on the reviews but had no Idea that the restaurant Chef was the same one that was at Michael Minna and the Tuna Tartare was his famous recipe. Enjoyed all of our dishes and had a very pleasant time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GourmetGalVIPDined on 7/11/2014Lovely little spot in San Carlos featuring warm hospitality from the owner Enzo and Chef Marrone. Very interesting, fresh menu, good portion sizes and service. To go to the next level the service could be a bit more pulled together and the wine list needs some work but overall a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- Cozy; wonderful food; special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/10/2014Dinner at Gusto makes for a special evening not too far from home. Enjoy beautifully prepared food in a cozy setting, accented with attentive but unintrusive service.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant!foodieforeverDined on 7/5/2014Gusto is the place to go for a fabulous meal in comfortable surroundings. The owners, chef, and waitstaff are very attentive, and the food is just wonderful. We split four dishes and were pleasantly engaged with each one--an inventive and savory meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new addition to the Penninsula...143sfoVIPDined on 6/28/2014Lovely evening. So enjoyed the ambiance. Service was efficient, not over-bearing & our waiter offered a plate to share when we couldn't quite make up our mind. Of course the tuna tartare was exquisitive & a must order. The watermelon gazpacho was a pleasant summer twist, the filet of petrale sole & the sea scallop were prepared perfectly & of course we had to indulge in the grand mariner panda cotta! It's terrific to have an added gem of a dining spot to the area & so we thank you Mr. Morrone, Chef Enzo & staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Our first time to dine here. All of the food was well prepared. The wine list is a mix of Italian and Californian. The only complaint was the duck breast serving was small compared to the other dishes we ordered.Special Features:
- lunch at Gusto'sOlgaDined on 6/26/2014Took a friend to Gusto's for her b'day lunch. We shared crab cakes and a salad. Had a good chardonnay. Waiter gave us dessert to order a complimentary b'day dessert which we chose but he brought us a Tiramisu to share which neither of us is fond of. Otherwise, terrific place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and PasqualeJuglyDined on 6/24/2014Four of us went to dinner. Two had been before and all found the food and service outstanding. Upon request, they graciously brought us the menu from their restaurant next door, Positano. I had the halibut which was excellent. Other entrées were the veal, duck and sole. These, also, received big thumbs up, especially the duck. The cream of corn soup received high praise and the butterscotch pot de creme was delightful. We were never rushed or had to ask for attention - it happened seamlessly. Unfortunately the restaurant is long and narrow - not the friendliest arrangement as we went specifically to listen to Pasquale, our favorite Italian tenor. Altogether, a very lovely evening and we will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a 10Tweb2Dined on 6/15/2014We have been to Gusto's four times now and have never left without having an extremely fabulous meal, great service and a wonderful time. We've been fortunate enough to meet the chef personally and what a great guy. We had another favorite spot on Laurel Street in San Carlo's but now this is our one and only go to when were looking for a very fine romantic dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood AdditionImpressedVIPDined on 6/14/2014Took the family here for an early Father's Day dinner yesterday night. For those of you who appreciate the food at Locando Positano next door, but don't like the energy level or noise, Gusto is well worth a try. The food is different, with more Californian influence, but the quality and innovation is excellent. The service is friendly, and energetic, with kindness and flexibility regarding menu explanations, substitutions and accommodations for preferences and food allergies. I would have rated the service higher, but there was a long pause between first and second courses. We will definitely go back, though without our 8th grader, since the level of sophistication in the food was a bit high for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2014Italian restaurant with more of a continental menu. Menu is small but well thought out and executed. Fairly expensive. Dinner for 2 with app, dinner, dessert and wine easily over $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in San CarlosSunstormerDined on 6/6/2014Arrived a little early and were ushered to the very nice bar next door while our table was prepared. We wanted to sit inside and it was pleasant and cozy. Our server provided excellent recommendations for the tuna tartare (wow!), mussels, and duck with interesting wines-by-the-glass to match. The timing was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- George Morrone does it again!LarmoGVIPDined on 6/3/2014We had our first meal at Gusto this week (June 3). George Morrone (Exec Chef) and the owners went out of their way to understand our preferences as to wine and food choices; we felt like VIP clients. The dinner menu is relative small but has very unique and choices when compared to typical Italian fare. The wine choices were quite good. They offered several wines to taste (no charge). We were very impressed and consider Gusto 'THE' best restaurant in the San Carlos village and compares favorably with any San Francisco or Peninsula venue. George Morrone has established a stellar track record and this hold its own among those however in a less pretentious 'neighborhood' style that is very appealing. We will back for sure!Special Features:
- Needs major improvement!FaraVIPDined on 5/30/2014Service slow but friendly server, food average. Price is high for what you get. Six of us ordered fish (server highly recommend) for $35.00 a dish and it looked like they were short on chilian sea bass so they put a small piece in each dish with some uncooked eggplant and one spoon of mushroom and that's it. I had endive salas too and was ok. Even the bread at the table was old and tasteless. The server was nice and friendly. He brought us what he called complimentary dessert, probably because of the expensive wine we ordered or to compensate for the little pieces of fish they served. The tiramisu was previously frozen and it was not even on the menu. Two of my friends who ordered beef got the smallest piece of beef you can get.Special Features:
- JessMVIPDined on 5/29/2014Have eaten here several times now. Consistently outstanding food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealSCFoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014Been there twice. Food was outstanding each time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ThereNewtoSFOVIPDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I went to Gusto for the first time and we were extremely impressed. The food was outstanding, the service was the best that we've had in a very long while, and the atmosphere was friendly and open. The owner/chef came to our table and made sure we were happy with our experience. He even gave us two special treats...one that he hasn't put on the menu yet...an apricot-orange with trufffel honey and each served each a soup off his menu, both were delicious! We ARE definitely going again and would recommend this to our friends.Special Features:
- Worth detour for food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2014George Morrone's tuna tatare is worth a trip in itself. Scallops were seared just right, medley of side vegetables stole the show. Day's sole special perfectly cooked in light butter sauce, accompanied by salad with grapefruit slice accent. Nice interior, fish themed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mucho Gusto!GFSueVIPDined on 5/11/2014This is a first rate dining experience! I had the sea bass which was beautifully roasted with a gorgeous brown crust. It was accompanied by a basil pesto sauce and a shiitake mushroom sauce. Really, I could have Licked the plate it was so good. My friends had the scallops and the endive salad. Both were equally outstanding. The service was top notch. Even the chef came out to say hello. I'm definitely going back!Special Features:
- FoodiegirlDined on 5/3/2014An incredible meal. Chef and owner Michael greeted us and waited on us as well. Prepared a special tasting menu ( found out it was my birthday and wanted to do something different ) and what a treat. He chose six items from the menu and they were fabulous. The atmosphere of this small neighborhood restaurant was charming and inviting, our waitress Rosa was straight from Italy- she had a darling accent and a very cute personality. Chef Michael recommended each course and we left it in his hands to serve us what he recommended. WOW !!! Every bite was an explosion of flavors not to be forgotten. After eating every luscious morsel we waddled out of the restaurant and headed for home.Special Features:
- Great food and conversationmbeachyVIPDined on 5/3/2014If you are looking for fine dining and a place where you can actually have a conversation with your friends, this is the spot in San Carlos. Well thought out small menu with a staff that is attentive but not overbearing. Outstanding wine list with a wait staff that is well versed in selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morone's NewestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014George Morone's newest restaurant has the food you would expect from him. It was delicious and creative as well as attractive.Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Gusto reviews archive.
- Peninsula GemGerryVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food was spectacular as was the staff. The chef deserves his reputation and the warmth of the staff was special. Just a great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchFoodDined on 4/18/2014The food was good. My mother loved the juicy Kobe burger, dad enjoyed the scallops. I had the tasty endive salad, fresh cheese! A nice place for lunch, not overly crowded, fast service!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant on the PeninsulaVeryPickyPeopleDined on 4/15/2014We were ecstatic to eat at Gusto's last week and find it to be of the caliber of a restaurant in San Francisco. We had the quail appetizer (best quail I've had anywhere to date. It was crispy and juicy with just the right amount of accompanying sauce. Next we had the endive salad with feta cheese. The dressing was light and tasty. For the main course we had the duck confit ravioli. Often when I order duck confit it is dry and tasteless. This duck confit was moist and tasted delicious. The sauce on the ravioli was more like a reduction sauce that made the whole dish perfect. The chef was a delight and our waiter was attentive without hovering. For desert we had the pana cotta and the butterscotch pot de creme. Excellent!Special Features:
- EXCELLENT GUSTO, San CarlosrustysixDined on 4/12/2014The food, uniquely displayed (pea soup sooo good!); the staff so personable; wine selection "dangerous" it's so good. For 4 adults our bill was less than $50/person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tried it twicesalliegDined on 4/10/2014Have been to Gusto twice, and the food was good and on the heavy side. This restaurant is worth a try, but I will say that if you request any substitutions, your plate won't look as appetizing as your fellow diners.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite go-to spot!FoodMavenDined on 4/9/2014The establishment reminds me of being in a well-run restaurant, friendly staff, an outstanding chef (even came out to say hello!). Water glasses always full, and a lovely range of delicious menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.