Gussie's Chicken and Waffles
1521 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94115Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Gussie's Chicken and Waffles
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gussieschickenandwaffles.com/
- Phone: 4154092529
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday: 9:00am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00pm; Sunday:9:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Michele Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining room seat up to 50 people with banquet style service.
- Entertainment: Flash Back Friday with live DJ spinning Old Skool hits and R&B from 7pm to 11pm every Friday night. $4 Cocktail specials and a $10 dinner buffet with a 2 drink minimum.
- Special Events: Weekday lunch buffet from 11am to 3pm for just $12 Tuesday-Friday.
A word from Gussie's Chicken and Waffles
Located in the historical Fillmore Jazz District. This is food like your Grandma used to make! Being a native of Milledgeville, GA and a resident of Jersey City, NJ, Gussie combined her down home southern roots with an east coast feel and created signature recipes that have been passed from generation to generation and now to you! Set in an atmosphere of warm colors and southern comfort experience the joy of dining on truly home cooked southern cuisine. Comfort food at its best! Her recipes and traditions continue through the talents of her youngest granddaughter, Executive Chef Michele Wilson.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gussie's Chicken and Waffles reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (8)special occasion (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Delicious FoodJimmysFanDined on 9/27/2014I was in search of a good brunch spot before I left San Francisco and used OpenTable to find Gussie's. I looked at the menu and was sold on the Red Velvet Waffles! I had never had them before and they were so yummy! It was quiet in the restaurant and you could tell that some of the patrons were regulars. It was definitely a good find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceLouisaDined on 9/20/2014We used to go to this place for the quality of food, but for the past 2 times that we been there , the food sucks, we order soups & they server cold & the waffle are like paper. The floor was pretty nasty . The waiter totally don't care, he didn't offer any drinks ? & when we complains about the soup he said that is server a room temperature "what"! . They used to have a live music that attract a lot of customer , the music is gone as well, we don't recommend this place, if you are hungry stop at any fast food restaurant & enjoy a warm meal.
- So-SoFoodieMomDined on 9/19/2014Not sure why they have the zagat rating. Chicken was a little bland & dry. Waffle is more of a pancake type batter. Although menu says all sides are available as vegan, none were that day (understandable if middle of week or near closing, not 6:15 on a Friday night). All sides were lacking in seasoning. Very disappointing. Highchairs & booster seats were flithy, make sure you do a good wipe down for your kids.
- great foodmkzzDined on 8/31/2014as usual great food but the service was unusually slow this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and WafflesMssupermo808Dined on 8/24/2014The food was great. The location of the restaurant is okay. If you are planning to come with a group book this place in advance. I was lucky that I could get a table for 16 within 48 hours. Also they don't have a parking lot so come early and find parking on the street. The parking lot across the street which could get expensive.Special Features:
- Good but then Nah...FoodieAtHeartDined on 8/17/2014I do enjoy Gussie's food..My only issue with them is that they have very poor service..If the food wasnt delicious, I probably wouldnt go there.. It never fails, whether I have a reservation, whether its NOT packed, it takes the servers sooooooo long just to acknowledge you.. As far as the food..I LOVE IT!!!!! Im not going to lie about that..If you love soul food..You have to give Gussie's a try..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodsusieqDined on 8/15/2014The food was very good Southern/Soul food. The service was excellent. You must have the Skillet Peach Cobbler (share it with the whole table even) but it was deadly.Special Features:
- a 45 minutes wait for a reservationAmberSFVIPDined on 8/10/20143 words: waited 45 minutes. The manager was lied to by the waitress who claimed we made our reservation on the same day as the brunch. She refused to honor the reservation.
- Gussies is GREAT!LolaDined on 8/9/2014My friend and I went to Gussies before heading to event in SF. Upon entering, we were promptly seated and our waitress (who was fabulous) came right over to take our order. She gave us some good recommendations then from there the endless mimosas and great food began. They were very attentive but not in the annoying way. Our glasses were never left empty for long and the food was AMAZING! My friend and I joked that they had our grandmothers held hostage in the kitchen cooking. Overall it was a great experience and we surly plan on coming back again!!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentJohnKVIPDined on 7/23/2014This makes my third visit to Gussie's and will probably be my last. While the service and staff are competent and friendly, the chicken was very dry and quite tough to eat.
- Bad Service - Food so soFoodieDined on 7/22/2014We waited an enormous amount of time for our food that was marginal at best. The fried chicken was so over fried the meat was almost cooked away. The sides macaroni and cheese, yams etc were ok. We waited a bit for drink orders, we sat there waiting for food and no one waited on us thereafter. I could see the kitchen, the cook prepared the food and let it sit on the shelf & accumulate so the staffing is off to customer food service ratio. After our meal we wanted desert and was told there was no desert at all. What!! Other than location, good food and SERVICE is key to a successful restaurant. There was one person preparing an enormous amount of food for not just our table but the handful of people that started sprinkling in.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Extremely horrible service. We had to wait forever for our waiter to come to us for little tasks.
- Delicious wafflesNinaMVIPDined on 7/13/2014Delicious chicken and waffles. The chicken portion is huge! The special waffles are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyTaTaDined on 7/1/2014Me and my two sister go to the restaurant and it was closed due to their kitchen flooding. Sure would have been nice had they called and told us.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Gussie's Chicken and Waffles reviews archive.
- Unhappy with OpenTable!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I made a reservation, received confirmation and showed up to a closed restaurant! We were a party of 10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jbffVIPDined on 6/15/2014We booked our reservation, showed up for our reservation and we told they 'ran' out of food and were closed. We hope to eat theer in the future but are disappointed with them and Open Table. We found an opening near by otherwise it would have been worse.
- OverratedminpdxDined on 6/15/2014We heard the food was great so chose to go here for brunch. Everything was okay but nothing impressed.Special Features:
- AverageCliffDined on 5/30/2014The chicken and waffles were very good. The chicken was moist and the waffles were tasty along with very good syrup. Everything else (side dishes) such as the mac & cheese, corn bread, yam, etc were just ok. In fact, the side dishes appeared to be prepared way in advance that it was served luke-warm vs having the fresh taste. Overall average food. The service was warm and friendly. However, the place was a bit grimy. The floors were filled with trash and appeared to not have been cleaned the whole day (maybe more?). The chairs had food from prior customers. If they cleaned it up just a bit it would be considered more of a fancier dining place since the ambiance is fairly nice.
- On the fence3rdTimeShldBACharmDined on 5/11/2014I'm from Stockton, which is about an hr 1/2 away. This was my 3rd visit to Gussies. I brought my Mom for Mothers Day. It was her 1st time. I was a little disappointed this time. When we arrived in the city, I got a phone call asking that we come earlier then Our scheduled reservation. Which turned out to be okay. Only because we had just switched our tix for a concert at Yoshi's to a later time. Had we not have done thAt we wld have missed out. Then we get to the restaurant and we ask the waiter if Michelle(the owner) is in & he confirmed. We asked if she'd come chat with us briefly as we'd like to put a face to the name & the food we so enjoy. She never came out. Then my greens were tough and not cut & they were out of black eyed peas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fried Chicken Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014The best Fried Chicken in the Bay Area! Large pieces of chicken and large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...HowDivasDineDined on 5/11/2014For what we paid, it was an alright buffet...not the best, but could have been worse. They've been around long enough to be better prepared for events such as this. No real desserts, raw veggies in our omelettes, stuff running out & taking forever& a day to refill...get it together, please!
- Southern Taste TreatJohnKVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great spot for a Sunday afternoon southern style taste treat. The chicken was tender and the waffle was crisp. Great combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodKathybVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were there at 5pm on a Saturday and the place was empty. Food was good but could have been hotter. The Mac and cheese was very creamy and tasty. Greens and sweet potatoes good as well but the sides were all luke warm. Chicken very good. My BF loved the wings. He said he would order just the wings next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed ourselves and the food was exactly what we expected - tasty. Thanks.Special Features:
- I'm not a complainer usuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014Sorry, but it was extremely loud, way too expensive, and the food wasn't good at all. We asked for coffee....and it came after the 4th time we asked. Won't go back. :-(
- Great Soul FoodComicGeek79Dined on 3/23/2014Not too many places to get good soul food in San Francisco. I have always heard good things about this place and decoded to try it with my husband and our very good friend. for me it brought back so many memories of the food I ate growing up in Tennessee. I talked them into trying the fried chicken livers. I loved them but it was new and strange to them. The chicken was amazing and the waffles were very fluffy. I wanted to try the peach cobbler for but was way too full. My only suggestion is to season the food a bit more. I know in San Francisco restaurants that serve ethnic or specialized foods are afraid to season the food enough. Not everything has to be whitewashed to be accepted by the majority.I will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Much Worse Than Warm Food!FoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014Gussie's has potential, but they need to "step up their game!" We ordered and were specific that we wanted our food hot. The soups were delivered "very warm" and had to be sent back. Upon return, the cream of shrimp soup was delicious! When the gumbo was delivered, it was 3/4 rice and very little gumbo... a word to the wise, order your rice on the side! The chicken salad had about one full cup of grated cheeses on it. The final straw was when my chicken/waffles were delivered "luke warm." Actually, the chicken was hot on the outside/warm on the inside (revealing the secret that it was pre-cooked)! In all fairness, the server did offer to make me a new meal, however, I was out of time (catching a concert nearby). Cooks, get it together!
- i ordered the 3 wings w/redci38Dined on 3/15/2014i ordered the 3 wings w/red beans & rice good size portions, but I can't say the same for my friends filet of fish sandwich, for that price we expected 2 pieces of fish, it did come w/potato salad which was very good .
- The service was excellent.DOE51Dined on 2/14/2014The service was excellent. We didn't have to wait for anything, they were right on it.. Also, the Mac n Cheese was almost as good as what I make at home :)Special Features:
- Great Food and Fantastic for V-DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was great although my Lady's dark meat selection was smaller than she remembered. We ordered the bottomless Mimosa and Bellinni (sic) and they were well worth the price. I recommend this restaurant and I have every intention of returning.Special Features:
- Not bad, Not great, Just Ok.YummerzDined on 2/14/2014Chicken was ok. Waffles ok. Service ok. Upon entering the entrance first, no host or greeter to seat. Even though there was a sign to wait for host. Had to search for a waiter to seat us. Menus could be changed. They felt worn and dirty. Overall a decent experience, expected a lil more side dishes like mashed potatoes or...corn bread or something. that came with the price of an entree, but eh... oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gussie'sEatoutoftenDined on 2/1/2014The best fried chicken and waffles in San Francisco ! We will come back again and again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a solid soul foodluv2eatVIPDined on 1/3/2014This is a solid soul food joint with pretty good food. Highly recommend the Taste of the south plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate there on a Saturday morningTasiDined on 12/28/2013Ate there on a Saturday morning at 9:30 am Dec 28 expecting a big crowd, I had to check to make sure it was open. We were 1 of 3 tables being used, not sure why. The food was pretty good ( I had the chicken and waffels and my wife had the sweet potato waffels), service was good but makes you think twice when no one else is there eating. I did notice quite a bit of traffic at the take out counter but the walk in traffic poor. The place was good. I would recommend if in the area but to make a special trip out that way, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Key here is the food..GREATmaddogVIPDined on 12/21/2013Key here is the food..GREAT fried chicken Service can be spotty. last time here they were obviously short wait-staff. No matter, food arrived eventually and was as good as always. Each time we eat here I find something else on the menu that looks great. Not for the health conscious..it's fried but not creasy, always juicey and tender chicken meat..choice of white or dark ,YOUR choice not the kitchen! Handle large groups and kids well. Keep your expectations in check: Come for the food and ignore the restSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very good, service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2013The Taste of the South, with fried chicken (choice of white or dark meat-I had dark), macaroni and cheese, candied yams, collard greens & a wedge of corn bread was great. Chicken was done to perfection, not greasy, crunchy on the outside but still moist underneath. The candied yams were excellent & the mac n cheese and the cornbread were very good. My companion had a chicken and waffle which he enjoyed very much. The service was not very good. A waitress seated us and a waiter brought over 2 glasses of water shortly after that. The waiter then came to take our food order before taking our beverage order. The waiter didn't come again until we were finished. Our beverages (1 soda and the water) weren't refreshed and we were thirsty.
- So-So Fried ChickenelwoodDined on 12/13/2013Chicken was nothing speciasl although the red beans and rice were delicious.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving feastKickerilloKidDined on 11/28/2013We went for their first Thanksgiving buffet. It was awesome. Best collards I have ever eaten and I'm from Georgia and have had my fair share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some food great, but inconsistentjimmyDined on 11/17/2013Red velvet waffle was delicious, but sweet potato waffle was underdone. Chicken wings were decent, but unremarkable and a little too greasy. Overall restaurant looks a little run down, but employees are nice and the place has character.Special Features:
- DisappointedTraceDined on 11/2/2013The chicken was dry and the grits were stiff with a clump of cheese in the middle. I heard so much about how good the food was (especially the chicken) and I couldn't wait to dine here. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. Our server was great but the food doesn't deserve a returned visit.