808 Fair Oaks Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://gussbbq.com/
- Phone: 6267993251x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday 8:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kyu Yi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Gus's offers catering from 20 to 1000 people.
Options include: Pick Up, Delivery, Full Service Buffet, Grill Onsite, or our Smoke Monster BBQ Trailer. Packages starting at $12.95.
For more information including FAQ and pictures, please visit our website: www.gussbbq.com/catering or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Gus's BBQ welcomes private parties of up to 20 people for any occasion. We are able to accommodate you in our private room located in the rear of the restaurant
- Private Party Contact: Danielle Stouter 6267993251x
A word from Gus's BBQ
A South Pasadena landmark since 1946, Gus’s BBQ was purchased and remodeled by brothers Chris & John Bicos (owners of The Original Tops in Pasadena). The new Gus’s BBQ specializes in Traditional BBQ - California Style. Dive into an enormous plate of Memphis style baby back ribs or St. Louis spare ribs. You’ll definitely be back for their juicy Carolina style pulled pork sandwich, delicious cast iron cornbread or one of their many 100% Nebraska Chuck burgers. In the mood for classic comfort food? Try their Jack’s Mac and Cheese smothered in 4 cheeses, applewood smoked bacon, crimini mushrooms & drizzled with white truffle oil. You’ll leave knowing exactly why Gus’s food has been hailed, “….so good that we found ourselves eating more than we’d imagined” by S. Irene Virbila, Los Angeles Times.Continued
Recently named one of the top 10 BBQ restaurants on the west coast by Sunset Magazine, Gus’s boasts a super hip bar that serves an impressive list of bourbon and draft beer.
Recently named one of the top 10 BBQ restaurants on the west coast by Sunset Magazine, Gus’s boasts a super hip bar that serves an impressive list of bourbon and draft beer.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Gus's BBQ - Best Restaurants in South Pasadena ›
Gus's BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (52)kid-friendly (49)good for groups (43)great for brunch (27)special occasion (25)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (9)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- GraciousAmarieDined on 9/26/2014The staff was kind to our very *needy* party of four. The manager (Hiro) and our server (Julie) collaborated to move us from a table in the high traffic area to a booth so that our sleeping baby would not be knocked out of a chair while sleeping in his car seat. Our server worked hard to accommodate someone in our party with multiple food allergies. A different server (we're sorry to forget his name) was kind enough to take a dish back that our allergic party member ultimately did not enjoy. Beyond those needs, the meats were pretty good and the cocktails were lovely pick-me-ups to deal with our madness.Special Features:
- Odd Service BustOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014This is our go-to BBQ place, especially good for southern fried chicken, and our grandchildren always love the food too. This trip we sat in their back room - 4-5 tables/small-ish space. It is so loud because the room is small and all hard surfaces, that we could barely have a conversation. I will ask specifically NOT to be placed into that back room again. Service during this trip was also a bust, and not at all normal to our experience over many visits. Maybe because the back room is so far removed from their normal service lanes she found it hard to remember us. I had my heart set on one of their sinful desserts, but she never came back to take that order. Too bad! They are normally spectacular in their service.Special Features:
- Always good bbqjiffypopVIPDined on 9/20/2014We love going to Gus's. The food is always excellent and the ribs are the best in the city in my opinion. Usually the service is as good as the food , but we had an unusual hiccup in that on our most recent trip. Hoping it's just an anomaly and by our next trip everything will be back to it's usual greatness.Special Features:
- 1st ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014On the weekend, you must make a reservation. We always order the pulled pork nachos as an appetizer. The St. Louis and Memphis ribs are good. For desert, the cobbler is great. Good inspired Southern food is hard to find, the fried chicken, corn bread and and greena are a great addition to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ValueluckymomDined on 9/20/2014Gus's never fails to deliver whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner! This time it was Saturday morning and even though I tried hard to stay true to my oath of no more sweets, I hadn't had one of their "almost famous" skillet cinnamon rolls in a long time. So, I splurged and ordered one, while my companion wasn't looking. It was sinfully delicious as always; but to balance out my meal and not overindulge I ordered the vegetable omelet with fruit instead of potatoes. It was pure heaven. Everything was fresh: tomatoes, sweet onions, mushrooms, and on top wonderful cubes of herbed cheese. I actually felt virtuous. Prices are very reasonable, especially given the quality ingredients, and the staff is always efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in LA/PasadenaHoosierDined on 9/17/2014The character of this place is the same as when it first opened its doors in 1946, and the quality of the food is excellent. For the vegetarian, it has the best veggie burger in LA. For the rest of us, great pulled pork, and literally the best "brick" chicken you'll ever have-- they must marinate it for days. Ribs also good-- start with the cornbread appetizer, which is baked on demand and served in the tin. Follow up with a 4 min. drive to Fosselman's Ice Cream, for the "best shake in the world" according to the NY Times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philipb310Dined on 9/17/2014the food was well prepared unfortunately service wasn't as great as it should have never had the same server every time someone came to the tableSpecial Features:
- What do u have 2 do to get a booth?happylovetoeatDined on 9/14/2014Arrived early for 7:15 reservation for a regular booth in the back & were seated in the front next to the kitchen in one of the smaller booths. I told the waitress about our booth request, she said she would talk to the hostess but never got back to us. Sent from my iPhoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking to get my BBQ fixOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014A couple of nights ago the Mrs. and I were in search of some great BBQ. As we have been to Gus's before we wanted to try something different other than the Ribs. I had the Tri Tip and the Mrs had some BBQ chicken. Also we started with some got wings. All meats were moist and cooked to perfection. They could have done better on the soup of the day (Baked Potato Cheddar) other than that it was $60 well spent for a great meal of 2. I recommend also brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Make reservations on Open table to avoid long lines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't want to over sell, but....FaBuLoUsDined on 9/4/2014What a fantastic find! I recently moved to South Pasadena and stumbled on Gus's by accident. The staff at Gus's are so professional and friendly. The food is so full of flavor and the portions are great. The service is great! I would recommend going.... You won't regret it. 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Labor Day DownerJonathanCDined on 9/1/2014This is the second time here. Previously we celebrated a birthday and had a solid time. This time around it was a different experience. The hostess was taking a take out order and it took a while for another hostess to greet us. The place was packed so it was a good thing we made reservations. House salads were fine. The BBQ chicken was delicious though the collard greens were super salty and I edible. My baby back ribs got tougher and drier and I needed a heap of BBQ sauce to just finish half of it. The sweet potato fries were soggy. The service was fine considering how overwhelmed they were. But ok service and decent beer offerings isn't enough. We don't plan to return.Special Features:
- Don't Have To Go To Texas For BBQ!MattVIPDined on 9/1/2014Amazing! Amazing! Perfectly cooked BBQ! Pitmaster Josh Thomas does an outstanding job and I am being totally serious. If you are headed to the Pasadena area - yep, Pasadena, CA - run do not walk to Gus's! The restaurant is run efficiently, professionally, very friendly staff who are knowledgable about the menu and prep of the food. The food is made in site, always FRESH, great great flavors, great selections. The menu is very well done. Again, there are lots of locals who go here and you will taste why! And, the owners of this restaurant have done an amazing job!! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big BreakfastLoveGrasingsDined on 8/24/2014Feel good environment with great service from Jillian. Food was good (not great) but I could imagine lunch being the next meal here. Had a good time with family and will be back again. Decent parking available behind the restaurant- a real plus for the area.Special Features:
- Good BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Pulled pork nachos were delicious. Unfortunately, the baby back ribs were dry this time.Special Features:
- Good food & slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Been here a few times, food was good as usual. However, this time the service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ Place!PasadenafoodieDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I love coming to Gus's BBQ. They have an amazing bourbon selection and the food is outstanding. Service is also wonderful and we never wait too long for our food to arrive. Its a great place for double dates, parties, and family events. The only downside is the noise level is pretty high so I wouldn't recommend it as a "romantic" dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okCasiopeaDined on 8/8/2014I had a good veggie hamburguer but it wasn't outstanding.Special Features:
- Family FavoritefoodiefooDined on 8/1/2014Since moving to South Pasadena a little over a year ago, one of the best spots we discovered was Gus's. Now we are sure to take any out of town guests to the place and it's their first request when they come back to visit for the second time. Just lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingcrisismanagerDined on 7/29/2014A friend had referred me to Gus' and I was there on a "first date" with someone. My friend hadn't been there for a few years, but recalled the food was very good. Maybe it was - then - but it wasn't when I was there. And the interior noise was so intolerable that we had to sit outside, where it was warm and humid, in order to hear each other talk without shouting. My baby-back ribs were overcooked to the point of being dry. I had ordered a full rack so that I would have a half-rack to take home. I took a take-home box but decided to chuck it when I got home. The sweet potato fries were SOGGY, the exact opposite of what they should be. The service was excellent, but that didn't make up for the rest. $50+ wasted.
- great BBQsopasdinerDined on 7/26/2014have been here a few times and each time the BBQ is amazingly moist and fall off the bone tender. the creamed corn is also to die for.Special Features:
- DinnerLove4foodDined on 7/22/2014Food was great! Service was good except we had 4 different waitresses & wasn't really sure which one was my waitress,besides that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuLebooDined on 7/20/2014My wife and friends had the fried chicken and love it! My personal favorite is the Gumbo. If you like gumbo, you really need to try theirs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphere.StreetCriticDined on 7/18/2014I live in Pasadena and this place was recommended for local BBQ. I would agree the food is good and I was satisfied with the meal. It isn't the best I have ever had but a good meal none the less. If someone were looking for BBQ in the area I would recommend that they check it out. There is even some nice seating outside if you prefer the fresh air. My only negative observation though was that when they are busy service can be a bit sparse.Special Features:
- Another fabulous experience!HappycustomerVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is THE place for barbecue! Can't wait until next visit - a must every time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Gus's BBQ never disappointsDiningDebVIPDined on 7/15/2014Just love Gus's BBQ. The food is excellent and the service great. A modern take on an old fashion dinner. I will return again!Special Features:
- Great BBQ & Cocktailsa19greyDined on 7/13/2014Best BBQ in the LA area! Also, great cocktails. "Please write a review that is at least 50 characters in length!" -- done and done!Special Features:
- Gus's BBQ is GreatSPFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Gus's BBQ is a favorite in my neighborhood. I especially enjoy the weekend breakfasts such as the poached eggs over cheesy grits and crisp bacon. The cinnamon/pecan buns are the best! For lunch/dinner try the fried chicken and collard greens or pulled pork sandwich. This is my go to place for comfort food.Special Features:
- Best local BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014LA does not boast of too many BBQ joints, and after trying some in the area, Gus' is a tried & true favorite. Their baby back ribs, pulled pork, sausage, & potato salad especially are incredible & will leave you craving to return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gus's was bustling on FridaySuzydivaDined on 7/9/2014Really enjoyed a family dinner at Gus's. It was loud, but pleasantly so. It felt like a party. There were tons of young kids crowing and trundling about; normally that might have annoyed me, but it sort of worked. Gus's famous burger was even better than I remembered. Rich, salty, juicy meat; cheese melted just enough; thick, smoky bacon. We had it with outstanding sweet potato fries. I don't advise ordering a salad at Gus's, but we enjoyed the BBQ salad with steak, which was a mountain of mesclun with artfully arranged hunks of lean steak, jicama, fresh cheese. The Cobb looked typical but included delicious smoked turkey. I love the bourbon flights, draft beer, brick chicken, brisket: huge portions, the real deal. Best of all: good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQAfroPixPhotoDined on 7/9/2014Love the BBQ, those pit masters know what they are doing!Special Features:
- Birthday BonuscoconineDined on 7/6/2014My wife and I have enjoyed great lunches and dinners at Gus's, but decided to go for a Sunday brunch on my wife's birthday. The breakfast offerings were excellent, and they make a good Bloody Mary (my wife's favorite!) The waitress having received this info, taped a candle to a Bloody Mary, and gave it to my wife compliments of the house; now that's service!!! We will continue going to this fantastic BBQ restaurant!Special Features:
- Not what it used to beGirlinsopasVIPDined on 7/4/2014I've been going to Gus's for the past six plus years. It's usually my neighborhood go to. I feel offering some specials which I've suggested on numerous occasions might add a boost to their rather limited and not always tasty selections. Recently having had the catfish after a long reprieve I remember why I stopped ordering it. It's supposed to taste like something right? Well Gus's I may visit again some day but not my bi-weekly visits I've made in the past. PS The service is almost always great and admittedly some menus items are worthy.
- Growler complainthappylovetoeatDined on 7/4/2014If you purchased a Gus's Growler don't bother bringing it with you when dining at Gus's. Our waiter said state regulations prohibit them from refilling them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Barbeque!Kensey1Dined on 7/3/2014This was our second time to Gus's as we live out of the area and don't get to Pasadena very often. Really enjoyed all of our meals, including the Carolina pulled pork and brisket. Especially loved the entree-sized mac and cheese. We didn't have the fried chicken, but know it is highly recommended, so maybe next time. Service was excellent, water glasses and iced tea kept filled and waiter was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- SouthPasFanDined on 6/29/2014Gus' BBQ is a neighborhood gem! Great for brunch, lunch, or dinner. The atmosphere is friendly, energetic, and fun. The servers are attentive and the food---DELICIOUS! Whenever someone visits South Pas for the first time, I always take them to Gus'. It's a wonderful introduction to a beautiful town. And, the food is FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda90265Dined on 6/28/2014Thank you Open Table. Arrived at the fun funky BBQ restaurant, there were people waiting, we mentioned reservation through Open Table. It was like our secret code we were taken to a table immediatly. Restaurant is noisey, casual, been there forever. I wish I could remember our waiters name for he was wonderful. We mentioned it was our first time, OMG he like turned on offering to help us understand the menu. His service and attention were tops. Ok the food....we had a combo, St. Louis Ribs, boneless fried chicken, fries, coldslaw, house salad. Two of us shared, we both walked out full. Delicious, chicken well spiced crispy breading, seemed to be all white meet, ribs tender and fell off the bone. Fries were just ok. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great BBQCoffeyfanDined on 6/26/2014Great food & service as always. Their ribs were tender, juicy, & delicious. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmmYummmDined on 6/16/2014Love this place, thank you for being consistent with excellent food and service! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Gus's for BarbequeJerryDined on 6/15/2014As Father's Day approached, I began thinking about which restaurant I would suggest when asked by my family. I have several favorites, depending on whether I crave Mexican, Italian or a steak-house. At his point, I was craving Barbeque and of course the first restaurant to come to mind was Gus's Barbecue in South Pasadena. I first ate there thirty-five years ago when it was already a well establishe fixture in the community. Needless to say, when Father's Day arrived, we went to Gus's. I ordered the full rack of St. Louis style ribs, far more than I could eat, so I could have plenty left over for barbeque sandwiches at work the following week.Special Features:
- Gus's BBQ is a hidden gemBirthdaygirlDined on 6/15/2014The food and service was excellent. It was our first time at Gus's best cornbread, brisket and ribs. It's a definite gem.Special Features: