1033 E 17th Ave
Denver, CO 80218Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gumbosdining.com/
- Phone: (720) 266-5300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Gary Hvizda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Downing St
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Best unknown spots are on Ogden St. just North of Park Ave in front of the old Children's Hospital. Side streets are open but usually hit or miss. Parking in front after 6pm is fair game, but 2 hour limit applies during the day time hours.
A word from Gumbos
Gumbos, a new upscale-casual Louisiana style seafood restaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Gumbos - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Gumbos reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (12)special occasion (9)romantic (9)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Channing Tate YumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014My boyfriend and I went to Gumbo's for dinner and had a great time. He is a southerner that loves his seafood, as do I. We had the crab cakes, he had the catfish and I had the striped bass. Everything was awesome. Get you some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKenDarVIPDined on 11/7/2014The "new" Gumbos is simply the best cajun food we have found (so far) in Denver. You can't beat the place when you're craving that warm spicy taste. Good folks, and food. A repeater for us. Parking can be a problem, but there was a "complimentary" valet on our second visit, and that worked well.Special Features:
- best cajun in denverdenverfoodieDined on 11/2/2014I was a big fan of Gumbo's when it was downtown and after many years, decided to check out the current location last week. While the ambiance wasn't as nice (a lot smaller, much more casual feel), the food was exactly as I remembered it. Everything was perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. Our table ordered shrimp po-boy, crawfish étouffée, fried catfish and trout ponchartrain. For dessert, bread pudding. Not one element was disappointing. Maybe some higher quality tables / chairs / toned down lighting would make the place feel warmer?Special Features:
- Great find!QueenstakeDined on 10/30/2014First timers recently. Great food, attentive staff and atmosphere to boot. The have a plethora of Happy Hour specials that are to die for. The bar and bar tender were an eye full and drinks very tasty. I recommend Gumbos if you need a taste of New Orleans, they've got it nailed! Such a wide variety on the menu it is hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The Ambience ..........Presentation ..........and the quality of the food were outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great surprise!beachbabyDined on 10/4/2014Gumbo's was a delicious break from the usual, boring food we often find in Denver. It's New Orleans style had kick and served up classics like red beans and rice, blackened catfish, and shrimp etouffe. We loved every bite and save room for the beignets!Special Features:
- Been here every yearproudmomma50Dined on 9/23/2014for boyfriend's birthday's, we had such a nice time our waitress was wonderful, right there if we needed anything. We'll be back again, recommend the tenderloin of pork, omg it is delicious! the fried grits with cheese are scrumptious too. Try it, you'll love it!Special Features:
- Cajun Gem and SurpriseStephManVIPDined on 9/18/2014I had to find a Cajun place for the wife for our anniversary. Picked Gumbos without knowing anything about it. Nice surprise! Although Thursday night it seemed to be a quiet place with a nice front area for outside dinning. Pretty nice neighborhood with other restaurants nearby. I had to try the scallops this was marvelous. The wife had the staple blacken catfish. Being our anniversary we had to have the Beignet. A beautiful way to end the evening. Our staff was very professional and attentive. Definitely a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry for LouisianaMrBootDined on 9/5/2014I was very impressed. There is only one other restaurant in CO, that has food close to Louisiana. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not the sameCharlieDined on 9/2/2014The menu is smaller than when it was located downtown Denver. The food is good, but was not served hot from the oven. Bread and garlic butter has also changed. Will go again, but it won't be real soon. Service was extremely slow.Special Features:
- CutePamperDined on 8/19/2014It was good for a lil bite and very good food, mouth watering with a hint of fabulousness. I've doin ally found a place to bite.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ValuemcmsfVIPDined on 8/16/2014I love Gumbos! Time after time, we all love our choices. The preparation of the dishes is top notch, food is fresh and perfectly prepared. Great New Orleans, creole food.Special Features:
- Amazing Food! Not Just Cajun!3GinDenverDined on 8/12/2014The food was truly amazing. Every dish had great flavor. I thought before deciding to go that the menu would be full of heavy meat/seafood Cajun dishes but it's not. There are lots of vegetables and salads on the menu. We started with the Shrimp Sliders, which were fantastic, and also the mussels. The sauce was to die for! We had salads. There is a beet salad which was different and very filling. The prices were great, too. I would highly recommend this restaurant to even the strictest foodies as the food is genuinely the best I've had at a restaurant in a long time. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Jaded but Elated.SheeshDined on 8/9/2014Would like to start by saying my wife and I are "Jaded" when it comes to Gumbos. As fans of the restaurant in it's previous location near the Tattered Cover we are elated that they are open again (for the past two years) at this newer locale. The menu has been changed up some but all in all, the quality of the food and service are and remain impeccable. Before anyone say's the locale is a bit rough on parking, valet was only $6. Also at roughly $17-23 per person this is a really nice cost effective change up for a dinner out. Oh and I really enjoy how they have broken the Menu into portion sizes ie small...large...this made my wife very happy. Wait staff deserves love too.Special Features:
- Great food - but slow servicePerfectLunchMeetingDined on 8/1/2014The service was REALLY slow, however, the food was excellent. If you have plenty of time on your hands and want great food, sit back, relax and wait for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerGoldenDDined on 7/31/2014The wife and I used to go to the old location and always enjoyed the food and vibe. This was our first dinner at their new location and while it is much smaller and had more of a neighborhood feel the great service and food quality remained. Don, our waiter was excellent and even gave us dessert for our 21st anniversary. Many other night club establishments up and down 17th within walking distance so this is a great first stop on a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 211 reviews are from the Gumbos reviews archive.
- Like a visit to New OrleansNewTuneVIPDined on 7/17/2014We love Gumbo's! Everything: appetizers, salads, entrees, and deserts are wonderful.Special Features:
- Yummy !1VegloverVIPDined on 7/17/2014For meat lovers, Gumbos is wonderful. For vegetarians Gumbos is very limited...Fried Green Tomatoes or Hummus ...boring ...I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousDined on 6/13/2014Overall, pretty good. Loved the crabcakes. Popcorn shrimp were okay. Collard Greens--different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mariaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Service was excellent and food was excellent. The bread was good, but miss the crusty French bread at the old restaurants. Servings were considerably smaller too.Special Features:
- New Orleans in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2014This is a neighborhood spot that can give New Orleans style food at very reasonable priced. It is a once in a while go to place.Special Features:
- What a Gem!mcmsfVIPDined on 5/20/2014Great New Orleans food w great value! Quality throughout. I love the blacken catfish w shrimp ettouffe, wow!Special Features:
- foodoster4uDined on 5/14/2014Gumbo was very good. Talapia and Catfish were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Good good and service and prices. Flavor of good was authentic New Orleans cuisine. Ample portions were served.Special Features:
- Incredible Cajun5280bitesDined on 5/11/2014If you're seeking exceptional Cajun food in Denver, look no further. Every item that was served to our group was outstanding. Highly recommend the blackened catfish.Special Features:
- REOPENEDOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014I was so happy that Gumbos reopened, however, the food and atmospher wasnt the the same. Its very small, not as much on the menu, not a good place for a large group. The food was good, blues music playing the background, parking is very hard to find. I may be back but it will be for lunch. I liked the old Gumbos so much better. The crab cakes are to die for.Special Features:
- Miss the Lodo LocationILoveCajunDined on 5/2/2014When Gumbos was in LoDo, it was one of my favorite restaurants. I was so sad when they closed, but excited when I heard they'd reopened in a new location. I had dinner there recently and the new menu / location was a little disappointing. They no longer offer seafood gumbo, only chicken & sausage. I loved the Sensational Salad - gone. Blackened Shrimp served over gumbo or etouffee was a fav, again, gone. There were only a few fish entrees, one being tilapia - come on, any decent restaurant that serves fish can do better than tilapia. I had a halibut / etoufee special. The etouffee was very good but the halibut was tasteless, probably frozen. Wine choices also lacking. Service was decent. Sad that new menu lacks a lot of old favs...Special Features:
- Second trip as good as firstgsploverDined on 4/12/2014This was our second trip to this restaurant. Among us we had the crab cakes, red beans and rice, and catfish. All were very good but the beans and rice were indicated need a little more sausage. The crab was very fresh and the catfish was generous for a small dinner. My spouse and I split a beet salad which was excellent. The drinks are all portion controlled so are not generous. For desserts, among us we had the chocolate mouse, custard and bread pudding. The mouse was dark, fragrant, and very chocolate, definitely the best of the desserts we had. The coffee with Chicory was a disappointment. Rather weak and lacking of flavor, either coffee or chicory.Special Features:
- Always wonderful Cajun foodMarshaDined on 4/5/2014Always wonderful Cajun food at Gumbos! I LOVE the gumbo and fried catfishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine early - save bigracerbobDined on 4/5/2014Half price small plates till 6:30. BARGAIN!! That's all we had for diner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014The Gumbo was amazingly dark, rich, buttery, and seasoned perfectly! and the sweet potato cheese cake....Special Features:
- Probably won't returnPaddanleyDined on 3/23/2014We came in at 5:50pm on a Sunday hoping we could grab a happy hour drink before ordering dinner. Apparently happy hour only applies to the first few tables near the entrance but there that was not explained until we asked. We were not told if there was a nightly special, we overheard our waiter telling another table. They were out of bread by 6pm on Sunday so you could not order poboys at the Louisianan Creole restaurant. The food portions for the large plates were SMALL. I feel like my friend who ordered a small plate got the same amount of food although she ordered a small plate. The meal also was not anything special.
- Food has gone downhilllovegoodfoodDined on 3/22/2014Gumbos is not nearly as good as it used to be. The once famous Custard, was awful. The presentation, quality and taste has gone down hill.
- GumboAngieDined on 3/22/2014Gumbo and red beans and rice were really good. Did not care for the brussel sprouts. Moscow Mules were excellent!Special Features:
- With the IrishRtrntoSullysDined on 3/19/2014Brought our friends from Ireland to experience somethin they can't get at home. Gumbos never dissapoints!!!!!!Special Features:
- NOLA NativeNOLADined on 3/12/2014Unique restaurant with a different twist on Louisiana fair. Great taste and flavor.Special Features:
- Gumbo's is not just for dinnerjbuffDined on 3/12/2014We had a late lunch at 1:30, after any noon rush. The service was wonderful. The music vibrant. We both had the fish - tilapia and catfish. Both were great and will be ordered again. The Catfish comes with a side of crawfish ettouffee which was as good a any I've had in New Orleans. We finished with bread pudding and Pecan cheesecake - also wonderful. Gumbo's is a much better restaurant then Lucille's in our opinion. DO IT.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, some annoyancesHappyDinerDined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent, and the service was very good. There is a very noticeble sewer smell throughout the dinig area which definitely detracts from the dining experience. In addition, my group of four came to Gumbos early enough for happy hour and were told that our table was not in the happy hour area. This is not stated on the webite nor the happy hour menu online. This place is small enough that it shouldn't matter.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodAngADined on 3/5/2014Everything came out in a timely manner, waitress was perfect, great white russians, bartender! The food was so good I can't wait to eat here again.Special Features:
- Fat Tuesday MustTheDinettesDined on 3/4/2014What a great place, friendly and vibrant. The bar b wye shrimp was fabulous along with the $4 Hurricanes and Moscow Mules. You won't be disappointed.Special Features: