1033 E 17th Ave
Denver, CO 80218Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gumbosdining.com/
- Phone: 7202665300x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Gary Hvizda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Downing St
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Best unknown spots are on Ogden St. just North of Park Ave in front of the old Children's Hospital. Side streets are open but usually hit or miss. Parking in front after 6pm is fair game, but 2 hour limit applies during the day time hours.
A word from Gumbos
Gumbos, a new upscale-casual Louisiana style seafood restaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gumbos reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Hungry for LouisianaMrBootDined on 9/5/2014I was very impressed. There is only one other restaurant in CO, that has food close to Louisiana. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not the sameCharlieDined on 9/2/2014The menu is smaller than when it was located downtown Denver. The food is good, but was not served hot from the oven. Bread and garlic butter has also changed. Will go again, but it won't be real soon. Service was extremely slow.Special Features:
- CutePamperDined on 8/19/2014It was good for a lil bite and very good food, mouth watering with a hint of fabulousness. I've doin ally found a place to bite.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ValuemcmsfVIPDined on 8/16/2014I love Gumbos! Time after time, we all love our choices. The preparation of the dishes is top notch, food is fresh and perfectly prepared. Great New Orleans, creole food.Special Features:
- Amazing Food! Not Just Cajun!3GinDenverDined on 8/12/2014The food was truly amazing. Every dish had great flavor. I thought before deciding to go that the menu would be full of heavy meat/seafood Cajun dishes but it's not. There are lots of vegetables and salads on the menu. We started with the Shrimp Sliders, which were fantastic, and also the mussels. The sauce was to die for! We had salads. There is a beet salad which was different and very filling. The prices were great, too. I would highly recommend this restaurant to even the strictest foodies as the food is genuinely the best I've had at a restaurant in a long time. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Jaded but Elated.SheeshDined on 8/9/2014Would like to start by saying my wife and I are "Jaded" when it comes to Gumbos. As fans of the restaurant in it's previous location near the Tattered Cover we are elated that they are open again (for the past two years) at this newer locale. The menu has been changed up some but all in all, the quality of the food and service are and remain impeccable. Before anyone say's the locale is a bit rough on parking, valet was only $6. Also at roughly $17-23 per person this is a really nice cost effective change up for a dinner out. Oh and I really enjoy how they have broken the Menu into portion sizes ie small...large...this made my wife very happy. Wait staff deserves love too.Special Features:
- Great food - but slow servicePerfectLunchMeetingDined on 8/1/2014The service was REALLY slow, however, the food was excellent. If you have plenty of time on your hands and want great food, sit back, relax and wait for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerGoldenDDined on 7/31/2014The wife and I used to go to the old location and always enjoyed the food and vibe. This was our first dinner at their new location and while it is much smaller and had more of a neighborhood feel the great service and food quality remained. Don, our waiter was excellent and even gave us dessert for our 21st anniversary. Many other night club establishments up and down 17th within walking distance so this is a great first stop on a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a visit to New OrleansNewTuneVIPDined on 7/17/2014We love Gumbo's! Everything: appetizers, salads, entrees, and deserts are wonderful.Special Features:
- Yummy !1VegloverVIPDined on 7/17/2014For meat lovers, Gumbos is wonderful. For vegetarians Gumbos is very limited...Fried Green Tomatoes or Hummus ...boring ...I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousDined on 6/13/2014Overall, pretty good. Loved the crabcakes. Popcorn shrimp were okay. Collard Greens--different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mariaDined on 6/4/2014Service was excellent and food was excellent. The bread was good, but miss the crusty French bread at the old restaurants. Servings were considerably smaller too.Special Features:
- New Orleans in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2014This is a neighborhood spot that can give New Orleans style food at very reasonable priced. It is a once in a while go to place.Special Features:
- What a Gem!mcmsfVIPDined on 5/20/2014Great New Orleans food w great value! Quality throughout. I love the blacken catfish w shrimp ettouffe, wow!Special Features:
- The following 205 reviews are from the Gumbos reviews archive.
- foodoster4uDined on 5/14/2014Gumbo was very good. Talapia and Catfish were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Good good and service and prices. Flavor of good was authentic New Orleans cuisine. Ample portions were served.Special Features:
- Incredible Cajun5280bitesDined on 5/11/2014If you're seeking exceptional Cajun food in Denver, look no further. Every item that was served to our group was outstanding. Highly recommend the blackened catfish.Special Features:
- REOPENEDOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014I was so happy that Gumbos reopened, however, the food and atmospher wasnt the the same. Its very small, not as much on the menu, not a good place for a large group. The food was good, blues music playing the background, parking is very hard to find. I may be back but it will be for lunch. I liked the old Gumbos so much better. The crab cakes are to die for.Special Features:
- Miss the Lodo LocationILoveCajunDined on 5/2/2014When Gumbos was in LoDo, it was one of my favorite restaurants. I was so sad when they closed, but excited when I heard they'd reopened in a new location. I had dinner there recently and the new menu / location was a little disappointing. They no longer offer seafood gumbo, only chicken & sausage. I loved the Sensational Salad - gone. Blackened Shrimp served over gumbo or etouffee was a fav, again, gone. There were only a few fish entrees, one being tilapia - come on, any decent restaurant that serves fish can do better than tilapia. I had a halibut / etoufee special. The etouffee was very good but the halibut was tasteless, probably frozen. Wine choices also lacking. Service was decent. Sad that new menu lacks a lot of old favs...Special Features:
- Second trip as good as firstgsploverDined on 4/12/2014This was our second trip to this restaurant. Among us we had the crab cakes, red beans and rice, and catfish. All were very good but the beans and rice were indicated need a little more sausage. The crab was very fresh and the catfish was generous for a small dinner. My spouse and I split a beet salad which was excellent. The drinks are all portion controlled so are not generous. For desserts, among us we had the chocolate mouse, custard and bread pudding. The mouse was dark, fragrant, and very chocolate, definitely the best of the desserts we had. The coffee with Chicory was a disappointment. Rather weak and lacking of flavor, either coffee or chicory.Special Features:
- Always wonderful Cajun foodMarshaDined on 4/5/2014Always wonderful Cajun food at Gumbos! I LOVE the gumbo and fried catfishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine early - save bigracerbobDined on 4/5/2014Half price small plates till 6:30. BARGAIN!! That's all we had for diner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014The Gumbo was amazingly dark, rich, buttery, and seasoned perfectly! and the sweet potato cheese cake....Special Features:
- Probably won't returnPaddanleyDined on 3/23/2014We came in at 5:50pm on a Sunday hoping we could grab a happy hour drink before ordering dinner. Apparently happy hour only applies to the first few tables near the entrance but there that was not explained until we asked. We were not told if there was a nightly special, we overheard our waiter telling another table. They were out of bread by 6pm on Sunday so you could not order poboys at the Louisianan Creole restaurant. The food portions for the large plates were SMALL. I feel like my friend who ordered a small plate got the same amount of food although she ordered a small plate. The meal also was not anything special.
- Food has gone downhilllovegoodfoodDined on 3/22/2014Gumbos is not nearly as good as it used to be. The once famous Custard, was awful. The presentation, quality and taste has gone down hill.
- GumboAngieDined on 3/22/2014Gumbo and red beans and rice were really good. Did not care for the brussel sprouts. Moscow Mules were excellent!Special Features:
- With the IrishRtrntoSullysDined on 3/19/2014Brought our friends from Ireland to experience somethin they can't get at home. Gumbos never dissapoints!!!!!!Special Features:
- NOLA NativeNOLADined on 3/12/2014Unique restaurant with a different twist on Louisiana fair. Great taste and flavor.Special Features:
- Gumbo's is not just for dinnerjbuffDined on 3/12/2014We had a late lunch at 1:30, after any noon rush. The service was wonderful. The music vibrant. We both had the fish - tilapia and catfish. Both were great and will be ordered again. The Catfish comes with a side of crawfish ettouffee which was as good a any I've had in New Orleans. We finished with bread pudding and Pecan cheesecake - also wonderful. Gumbo's is a much better restaurant then Lucille's in our opinion. DO IT.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, some annoyancesHappyDinerDined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent, and the service was very good. There is a very noticeble sewer smell throughout the dinig area which definitely detracts from the dining experience. In addition, my group of four came to Gumbos early enough for happy hour and were told that our table was not in the happy hour area. This is not stated on the webite nor the happy hour menu online. This place is small enough that it shouldn't matter.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodAngADined on 3/5/2014Everything came out in a timely manner, waitress was perfect, great white russians, bartender! The food was so good I can't wait to eat here again.Special Features:
- Fat Tuesday MustTheDinettesDined on 3/4/2014What a great place, friendly and vibrant. The bar b wye shrimp was fabulous along with the $4 Hurricanes and Moscow Mules. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- TitleJonathanDined on 3/4/2014Make reservations before dining at Gumbo's, as the space is not very big.The bar was small and full, and those wanting to stand behind the people seated were almost in the faces of those seated at tables nearby. Not being negative; it is what it is.Wait and bar staff very friendly. No waiting for orders to be taken or drinks refilled.Food was tasty. Not New Orleans good, but we enjoyed the Etouffee, Gumbo, Red Beans & Rice, and Mussels. The Etouffee was my favorite, though I usually prefer gumbo. Not to say the gumbo wasn't tasty, because it was. The red beans and rice was good as well, with just the right amount of spice. The mussels were tasty in their sauce and on the bread that came with them; a good suggestion from our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLEAntoniusDined on 3/4/2014Reservation wasn't ready, ambiance different from old location-- new location more bar/pub food/environment as opposed to old location's upscale, tables with tablecloths, etc. Wait staff EXTREMELY rude--was told "move out of the way" while sitting at the bar waiting (30 minutes at this point) for table to be ready. Hurricane drink had little or no alcohol in it.
- Fat Tuesday ExperienceFreelanceDined on 3/4/2014A visit to Gumbos on Fat Tuesday was about as close to New Orleans as I could get. I thought we might be in for a bad experience due to the poor attitude of the maitre d. She did not welcome us with a pleasant greeting nor a smile. In fact, she made us feel as though we were not welcome, even though we had bothered to make reservations in advance. Even though a restaurant is busy, which they were, patrons like to be greeted with some level of warmth and a smile. Perhaps the young lady was just having a bad day but she should not take it out on the customers. After being rudely seated, the service improved from the wait staff. We had several selections from the special appetizer menu for the day and all were very good.Special Features:
- Fat Tuesday YummiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014Food was great as usual. We appreciated the "specials" for Fat Tuesday and also the "Happy Hour" treats. Three of use had all we would want including desert for $57.00Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the hardyNik2deanDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time to the restaurant and we will be back when the weather is warmer. The food was very great with hardy portions. We really enjoyed the beet salad and the blackened cat fish. The service was excellent and the saff was helpful and accomodating to our requests. We will definetely return another time. Prices were a little above average but we were very happy with both of our meals. We would like to suggest a better door entrance since the cold air would come rushing in every time it was opened. We were sitting next to the wall that was brick that had a few gapping openings that needed to be patched. We stuck part of a coat sleeve to keep the cold air out. We would like to see this change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Menu - GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Great food and drinks on the Happy Hour menu! Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun food in Denver?AddictedtocookingDined on 2/26/2014We picked the restaurant out of 5280's restaurant week list since it was somewhere we haven't been before. All of the dishes were amazing! The popcorn shrimp had some spice and the mussels were tender and covered in an amazing sauce. The almond crusted chicken and blackened fish entrees were cooked perfectly. A big thanks to the waitress that recommended the bread pudding for dessert. I don't like bread pudding, but accepted her recommendation and she was right, to die for!!!! The restaurant is small, but that's the most charming part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!KatrinaDined on 2/25/2014I took my boyfriend to Gumbo's on a Tuesday evening for his 30th birthday and could not have been any more pleased with our experience. Our server, Don, was absolutely top notch - polite, professional, personable, offered suggestions without being the least bit pushy, served food and drinks with the proper etiquette, prompt, knowledgeable... a total A+. The food matched the service - beautifully presented, fantastic flavors, cooked perfectly, great portions... another A+. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone and already plan to return here soon as well as bring guests! It was an overall wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.