Guinness and Porcellis
191 Main St
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Guinness and Porcellis
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.guinnessporcellis.com/
- Phone: 2072880030x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from Guinness and Porcellis
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Guinness and Porcellis reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Better Than ExpectedMainelyDiningOutDined on 10/11/2014Given some of the horrible reviews floating around about G&P's, our expectations were low. Ambience was fine. Lighting was dimmed. Color palate was restful ecru and mahogany. Wait staff were attentive enough and professional. My salad fork was bent, but not hefty, so I could straighten it out myself myself. We had only appetizers for our meals. Caesar salad was heavy on garlic, yet well-prepared and fresh. Caprese salad was disappointing. While the tomato was round and red, it was fibrous and woody in the center. Prosciutto wrapped scallops were subtle in taste, but not warm enough. In contrast, fried ravioli were VERY hot and over done to the point of leathery on the bottom. Nevertheless, would return to try the meatballs. Go figure.Special Features:
- Dont be FooledDenisDined on 9/21/2014Looks OK from outside.. Hostess is very nice and the waitress Katie was very good... but the food was just lousy... awful, poor, meat (Veal)was tough like it had sat out for some time and tasted terrible, the chicken cutlets mixed with pasta tasted like it was frozen and thawed out... the ice cream was cinnamon and was actually good, but they did not make that... suggest to kATIE SHE FIND A BETTER PLACE TO WORK!
- HarvestVIPDined on 9/4/2014Excellent fare. The clam chowder was superb and the recommendation of the waitress to try the beef short rib was excellent. Generous portions; pleasant ambience. We would go back!Special Features:
- Zero atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014You are immediately struck by the undimmable large lighting fixtures in this restaurant. Followed by metal chairs (yes this is indoor seating) and no table cloths. Entrees took forever to arrive, and the waiter kept saying bon appetit (is it an Italian restaurant?) even after the check was paid. Maybe it was just a quirky night. The haddock special (haddock stuffed with more haddock)was sodium laced, the salmon was raw in the middle, and the two pasta dinners were unremarkable.
- Good food, glacially slow serviceNotUsuallyFancyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was good. When it finally came out, that is. We put in the order for the child in our party before even ordering beverages. Despite asking to expedite it after 20 minutes, it was at least 25 more minutes before the food finally came out. All together. The waiter claimed the kitchen was backed up, which I find hard to believe. The dining room looked to be half empty. It boggles the mind that the kitchen couldn't expedite an oder of kids cheese ravioli. It was all of 2 raviollis in a bowl, and it came out with the rest of our food. Seriously. All of that said, the food was delicious.
- Good pizza in KennebunkportHappytoreviewVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had pizza for dinner, it was quite good. The ambience was not great, perhaps because we made early reservations and the restaurant was not very full. The service was good, the wait staff were friendly and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service, Nice Menuluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014We both really enjoyed our meal!! The bread was awesome dipped in the oil and vinegar! We could have made our meal on that alone! Excellent overall experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let the name fool you!TenaftertenVIPDined on 8/1/2014Home made pasta and fantastic lobster pizza. Nice street side seating with great service. Not crowded on a Friday night in season. Surprising!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014My Wife and I went to Guiness and Porcellis because they have a very gluten free friendly menu. The food was amazing. She got gluten free pizza and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got the Lobster Mac and Cheese and it was amazing. I would highly recommend Guinness and Porcellis to anyone visiting Bar Harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent place to eat in tourist areaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2014We have had 2 meals there so far and it has been consistently good. My major complaint was my son got a child's portion of pasta with butter and it was so small he was still hungry and this kid hardly eats anything. Other than that food was good and there were no complaints on the food. Service was fine, just waited a long time to place an order and get a check even though I think our server only had 2 tables and the place was really empty with a lot of staff just standing around.Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Guinness and Porcellis reviews archive.
- JosieDined on 5/24/2014Our server was very friendly and helpful. It was her first night on the job and you wouldn't have known it. The atmosphere is pretty loud, but the interior is cozy so,it mKes up for it. I ordered the shrimp risotto, half plate which was plenty for me. What I like about the menu is that you have a choice of a full or hAlf plate. The prices were reasonable. I will go back.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014The food was adequate but what was really great was the staff. Out sever, Ashley, was exceptional! Very personable. And a great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed!JeanDined on 4/12/2014We walked from our hotel to the restaurant for our 6:30 reservation only to find that it was closed! The menu was posted outside but not a light or sign of anybody inside. It was very disappointing and we are not likely to go back there on subsequent visits to Bar Harbor.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2013The food and the service were disappointing. My lobster pasta dish came with the green guts falling out onto the rest of the dish. If I wanted to deal with that I would have ordered a whole lobster. Very unappetizing and the waiter didnt handle it well. He basically shrugged and called me a tourist. He also gave my date the wine to taste and the bill back to him instead of me even though I had ordered the wine and the name on the credit card was clearly a woman's. welcome to 2013! I expect more respect than that.
- probably would not go againOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/14/2013Nice place and service was pretty good. However, food was lack luster. My wife really did not like the chicken. Wine list was really not up to snuff in terms of any US choices
- Good for whole familyHoustonEaterVIPDined on 8/10/2013We have eaten here twice each of the last 2 years. The food is very good with a varied menu that works for all members of the family. The fish dishes we have had have been excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013A couple of wonderful lemmoncello martinis to wet the appetite and relax after kayaking the bay. For dinner we started off with the Caprisi salad and found it delightful, what makes it above others we have enjoyed is the hint on slightly sweet balsamic vinegar drizzled on the plate. Enhancing the tastes of the rest of the dish. Our entree was a special for the night, wild mushroom ravioli in a white sauce. Absolutely exquisite! The mushrooms were very flavorful and the ravioli tasted home made and I can't describe the white sauce, lets just say that we used our spoons to enjoy every last drop. Dessert is what keeps us coming back for more. Their Tiramisu is absolutely outstanding! If you have nothing else, have the Tiramisu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick this place over othersLLV2VIPDined on 7/6/2013Lobster dishes were outstanding. Fra Diavolo. And Scampi. Service was 100 percent on point. Coffee liqueur was a great pour and a lovely end of the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone Down HillWhatAboutBobDined on 6/30/2013When G&P opened it was the best Italian Restaurant on MDI. Since then the prices have risen, the portions have gotten smaller(without any extras), and the incredibly tasty entrees have become ordinary. And they have removed their fabulous vegetable lasagna from the menu. There are better Italian Restaurants in BH---now. I wish they would go back to what they were when the first opened, when G&P was my favorite restaurant in town. Their service is still very very good, and the waiter that assisted up was 5 star. Unfortunately, that doesn't make up for the other stuff. And I was hoping that it had changed from when I went to the restaurant back in February(I live in Bar Harbor all year 'round).Special Features:
- Another great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/18/2013This was a return trip for me and a special occasion as well! They took great care of us, terrific service, the food was delicious as always and we enjoyed a lovely evening. It was a very quiet night but I have also had the same quality service/food when the place is packed in the height of the season. A great place for Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and Good ValueHanseataDined on 2/14/2013We went to Guinness & Porcellis for our Valentine's dinner, and had a very nice experience. The special Valentine menu was tasty and good value.Special Features:
- Not to be missed- the lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Not to be missed- the lobster pizza! Seafood pizza is always on the menu, but the lobster pizza is superb! Parmesan, Gruyere,white truffle oil, arugula, and, of course, fresh lobster meat! Ask for it. The bar is beautiful- go, hang out. It's intimate/very comfortable. Finally, some of the silverware is haunted... it's magnetic! It must be electric current running through the dishwasher! Wonderful porch dining when the weather is warm enough. Manhattans are done right!Special Features:
- Guinness and Porcellis isHappyCoupleDined on 10/5/2012Guinness and Porcellis is one of our local favorites - always great food prepared well, friendly staff and a nice place in which to dine. TSpecial Features:
- Food and service were fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2012Food and service were fantastic. Had the lobster alfredo and had nothing to complain aobut!Special Features:
- This was a disappointment.dollygVIPDined on 8/27/2012This was a disappointment. Three of us ordered the same dish- the "special" lobster fra diavolo. One plate had a huge serving of lobster, another had all of the tomatoes and the third order lacked both lobster and tomatoes. When we asked if the restaurant could provide a side order of vegetables, the waiter was nonplussed and returned several minutes later to advise that the only available vegetable was carrots. The waiter recommended a white wine, stating it was light and similar to sauvignon blanc. Unfortunately the wine was more akin to a young chardonnay and barely potable. The cannolis were dreadful; the cream tasted sour and had a bizarre texture.Special Features:
- 4 adults and 4 children agesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/20124 adults and 4 children ages 6-12. When we sat down, we were given a verbal list of the items they were out of, which was quite a few things. When the adult meals were delivered, none of them arrived with potatoes, which were included in the meal. When we inquired, the waitress went to the kitchen to check, she came back to tell us they ran out of potatoes and the kitchen was making us pasta, which was delivered about 15 minutes after our meal. the portions, as I stated, were very small. I ordered the veal saltimbocca which was very good, but was a 4 inch by 1.5 inch roll of veal, with 4 asparagus spears on top of it. several of our children ordered kids raviolis and received plates with 4 raviolis-I kid you not.pricey for what you get.Special Features:
- Food was good given Bar HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2012Food was good given Bar Harbor has become t shirts and ice cream!!!!
- We have been to G&P 3 timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2012We have been to G&P 3 times previous to this visit. I don't know if there is a new owner or just a new chef but the food was moderate at best. It used to be outstanding. 1 out of 4 of us had a meal worth remembering. Definitely not worth the price.
- We had been looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012We had been looking forward to this restaurant for awhile and it was just ok. I had pasta with chicken and dried cranberries in a cream sauce. I liked the combo, but the sauce itself was rather bland. My husband had spaghetti and meatballs that he said was good. The service was fine and we sat outside and enjoyed the fresh air.
- This place used to be betterCuisine4usVIPDined on 7/12/2012This place used to be much better. For some reason everything is garlic. Garlic mashed potatoes are even lumped under the vegg lasagna. You can't get away from it, and the smell inside is so garlicky it is nauseating. I wonder what the chef is trying to mask. The service is horrible mostly due to poor training. They are cute kids and nice but they have probably never eaten out in their lives and have no idea what to do. Excuse me, I will need a fork. Oh ok NO problem. Really? That's step one...that's a problem!!Special Features:
- Delicious food; service fell shortDomEnicDined on 7/4/2012Restaurant is conveniently located in Bar Harbor. We arrived early for a 7:00 pm res. on July 4th. A friendly hostess quickly seated us, and our waiter promptly took our order. A delicious appetizer arrived in a reasonable amount of time, as did our salads. About this time our waiter lost interest in us. The entrees were slow to be served, but very good, so worth the wait. Our waiter, however, neglected to bring our dinner wine, even after we reminded him of the order. Thankfully, the woman filling water glasses was attentive, so we at least had water with our meal. We live locally, so we'll give this restaurant another chance. The food really is delicious and the location is great, hopefully our service experience was an anomaly.
- We enjoyed a very nice dinnerAngelkayDined on 5/19/2012We enjoyed a very nice dinner here last week. The place had a nice ambiance and good service. The food was pretty good. My husband had the gnocchi, and it was good but different than any other gnocchi he had had before. I had the chicken piccata, and it was very good. Our bruschetta appetizer was pretty good as well, although it had a sweet vinegar drizzled on top as opposed to the typical balsamic. It was OK, nothing amazing. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Great seafood dishes, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012Great seafood dishes, attentive staff/service. Would recommend to others!Special Features:
- When ever I visit Bar HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011When ever I visit Bar Harbor this is a must! I love this place. The food is amazing and it a wonderful atmosphere. The only complaint I would have is that only one waiter was working so his attention was divided, despite that the service was better than most.Special Features:
- i will visit here again whenOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2011i will visit here again when in BH, food was excellent! Had a very nice piece of halibut with a nice presentation.Special Features:
- We'll try once again - maybeEmellaDined on 10/10/2011This was at least our third trip. Martini before dinner was nice white we waited for our table but once we moved to out seats on the porch, there we sat. For over a half hour we sat with no bread, no wait service, no interaction what so ever. They appeared understaffed but it wasn't so busy that this was acceptable. After we actually picked up our bags and readied to leave the overbooked hostess took over and our bread arrived. For the price and because we are repeat customers who had booked more than a week ago - overall really not a great experience.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2011Made reservation weeks before leaving on vacation to Bar Harbor, ME. Showed up 5 minutes early to the reservation time. There was a line out the door, presumably w/o reservations. Went straight to the host(ess) stand and waited to be acknowledged. After about 2-3 minutes, [the host talking with the next party in line] I mentioned my reservation at 7:30pm for which it was now 7:30pm. The host picked up 2 menus and said 'Right this way'. Was a bit nervous as our waiter was on his second day at the restaurant, but he was attentive and did well. Plus the food was fantastic which always saves the day!Special Features:
- The waiter was not knowledgeableFoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2011The waiter was not knowledgeable about the menu. The food was only mediocre at best and overpriced. Items on the menu were not available and we were not informed until we were to give our order.
- Expensive, but good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/7/2011The food and service was good. One of the better options in Bar Harbor, but expensive. The live music was a nice touch.Special Features:
- We tried this restaurant onPattypool50Dined on 10/7/2011We tried this restaurant on a suggestion from our daughter who used to live in Bar Harbor. The food was great..but could have been hotter. Our soup was barely warm,although delicious.our main courses were delicious,but also a little cooler than I would have liked. Service was great,we had a friendly waitress,who made great suggestions. If we hadn't been so Hungary,I would have asked the soup to be reheated! All in all,we had a great meal.Special Features: