2706 Durham Chapel Hill Blvd
Durham, NC 27707Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.guglhupf.com/
- Phone: 919-401-2600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am No Reservations Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm No Reservations Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Reservations accepted. Please indicate any special requests, dietary restrictions and food allergies. Brunch: Saturday 8:00am - 4:30pm; and Sunday 9:00am - 3:00pm No Reservations
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: David Alworth
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Guglhupf offers live music every Thursday from 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Sign up on our website to receive information about special events happening at Guglhupf, such as our wine, beer, or farm dinners, summer music series on the patio, Rocktoberfest, Christmas Market, and more.
A word from Guglhupf
Welcome to Guglhupf where local and seasonal ingredients prepared with a contemporary southern German twist are the base for an exquisite dining experience. Our eclectic, architecturally striking building and patio are the perfect backdrop for a casual yet unique evening whether you are with friends, family, or on a special night out. Enjoy one of our handcrafted specialty cocktails or treat yourself to a 'Radler' while contemplating our small plates and entree selections. Of course no meal at the Guglhupf would be complete without artisan breads from our renowned bakery and desserts that are simply divine. In addition, our approachable wine list and extensive German beer selection accompanied by our house made charcuterie or local cheese selections make us a great choice for after work casual gatherings in the spirit of the 'Biergarten'.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Guglhupf - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Guglhupf reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (84)fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (46)great for brunch (37)romantic (33)great for lunch (32)good for groups (24)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (17)hot spot (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Sehr gut!freundDined on 8/26/2014Our party of 15 were all happy with their food choices. Food was tasty, ambiance was delightful. If you like German cuisine, then this is a must go to in all of the Durham-Raleigh area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staffChapDDined on 8/15/2014Our wait person took time to describe the various beer choices and brought two samples. Food was excellent, hot and timely served.Special Features:
- Dinner for 5glenndDined on 8/15/2014Four of the five entrees we had were delicious. The fifth was pork that was still red. Sorry, but pork that is not done is really a no no. Also having pork chops too tough to cut with a dinner knife without having any steak knives is not acceptable. We did not have to pay for the uneaten pork dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentDisbeliefDined on 8/13/2014This was my third visit to Guglhupf. This restaurant has an excellent reputation which seemed well deserved. I was shocked to have a bad experience there on Wednesday night. We went for my daughters birthday and the four of us were all disappointed. Two entrees came at least 15 minutes prior to the other entrees - there was no explanation and when we tried to discuss with the wait person she was not adept at dealing with our concern. I felt minimized. The wait person was extremely young and seemed to have an attitude of either not care or clueless. In addition to the food was average. The risotto was not well done while the chicken was overdone. I could not believe we had this kind of experienceSpecial Features:
- Great German restaurantGizmoDined on 8/13/2014Fabulous weiner schnitzel and steak. Large beer menu featuring many german and belgium beers. Sat outside on very large patio where tables are not cramped upon one so nice atmosphere. Definitely make reservations here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatRalphVIPDined on 8/9/2014One of the great, predictable, creative restaurants in one of the foodiest cities in the South.Special Features:
- delicious food and great beer list!golfgalDined on 7/25/2014Plenty of fresh options to suit every taste. The fish dish is always perfectly cooked. Veggies options are abundant. Service has always been good. No long wait times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceluvbeerDined on 7/23/2014We attended a special event - annual beer and whole hog dinner. The food and beer were divine and the service was excellent. Well worth the money, and we hope to return soon!Special Features:
- Simple; Great Food and ServiceIvyFredDined on 7/22/2014I dined at Guglhupf July 2014. The entrees all looked fantastic, and the Chicken I chose surpassed my expectations. Having an experience with German food, the restaurant did well to maintain the "germaness" and also give it their own spin. The bakery looked really good, but I had no room left. I was disappointed by the desserts, but not to be misunderstood, they were above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Durham Classiclicorice12Dined on 7/11/2014Guglhupf is an exemplar of the Durham food scene. Great Dishes that are all made from local ingredients. Far and away their best feature is their baked goods--be sure to save room for dessert here!Special Features:
- Good food, nice atmospherebeenthereatethatDined on 7/9/2014Enjoyed dinner. Favorite was the potato and Leek appetizer. Would have like a better selection of specialty alcoholic drinks. I could not drink the one I ordered. Stick to the wine which was very good. Service as also very attentive.Special Features:
- One of Our Favorites!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Guglhupf has always been one of our favorite local restaurants. The food is ALWAYS well prepared and fresh. We had a Weiner Schnitzel and a house made sausage platter, both of which were excellent and topped them off with a couple of excellent desserts. The restaurant has an excellent selection of fine German beers, as well. The service was top notch, as it always is. This started with the hostess and followed through on all of the staff that attended to us. They also have such a nice patio for outdoor dining and we were actually able to eat outdoors in July because of some milder then usual weather. Highly recommended restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014The wife and I had an enjoyable evening at Guglehupf. This was our first time eating at the restaurant. Our prior experience has been strictly through the bakery and the bakery gets more than 5 stars. Our dining experience was nice but had a few minor hiccups. My wife had the sausage plate and the sausage was just a little on the spicy side for her. I had the duck which as a special that evening and it was very good. The hiccups came from the service. Our waitress was young and probably new. With experience and better training I'm sure she will be good. The person who served our dishes spilt part of our servings onto the table. We were very fortunate none of it landed in our laps. Go to the bakery, skip the restaurant.Special Features:
- Little GemBillyMacVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were quite taken by this little Gem of a restaurant. The food is very very good, the drinks are outstanding and the choc dessert is to die forSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014The special was duck. It was a bit overcooked. It might have been sitting around for a while. The waitress took our order and never asked if we wanted everything presented at once (we did). One person's plate was delivered and nothing for anyone else. When the rest arrived, the duck entree was not warm enough. Too late to send it back when theater tickets were involved. I love Guglhupf and will continue to dine there, but some improvements could be make.Special Features:
- Why all the hype?nyrxmanDined on 6/28/2014First the good news. The service was very good. The waiter was professional, attentive and accommodating. The Caesar salad was excellent, crisp and fresh with shaved Parmesan cheese and small garlic toast on the side instead of soggy croutons. We had the sausage plate which was tasty but the homemade coleslaw was bland. We had a special of the night which was sliced duck with blackberry sauce. There were only about 4 or 5 very small slices and the sauce was thin and runny and had little taste. It was garnished with about 3 blackberries. The fingerling potatoes had no taste at all and the kale was just ok. Based on other reviews, our expectations were not met. We thought we were going to experience "authentic" German food, we did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatRalphVIPDined on 6/27/2014Always great in all regards. Austrian Germanic dishes are quite good - Schnitzel etc. Daily specials sea food creative and well prepared. Creative appetizers. Small dish menu.Special Features:
- Once again - GREAT!NakemiinDined on 6/19/2014Went to the Summer Rose 5 course dinner -- outstanding!Special Features:
- Splendid!FrenchseashellDined on 6/19/2014As usual, Chef Dave and his crew deliver ... in spades. In addition, with Thursday's rose wine theme, I am now a fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose dinner was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014Went for the annual rose dinner and then brunch a few days later. Both were great, and the rose dinner in particular was a real treat.Special Features:
- Nice diningpracprefDined on 6/14/2014The beer menu is outstanding and fun. Our waitress was not experienced in helping to choose food or beer. It's a great restaurant and is becoming a favorite dining place in Durham fo my family.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining gemhondoskiDined on 6/14/2014The food and service were outstanding. Being able to enjoy a fabulous meal outside was a definite plus to a great anniversary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSkywalkerDined on 6/14/2014As usually, the food was great. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencebpcashDined on 6/14/2014We visited Guglhupf with for Father's Day with my in-laws and our 2-year-old son. The food and service were excellent, and the outdoor seating area was delightful. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below AverageJoycVIPDined on 6/14/2014Why advertise Guglhupf as a German restaurant? Except for 2 or 3 ethnic dishes and bread, the menu shows no resemblance to German food, (except for the many flies inside). It's just your run of the mill menu. One positive is the freshness of the produce and meats. The bread is very good, but, come on, put the usual bread basket on the table instead of having your waiter serve it one piece at a time. We traveled over 20 miles from Raleigh and were very disappointed with the ambience, uncomfortable indoor chairs, and menu. Prices are quite high for a "café" and the by the glass wine prices, especially for Austrian wines, is outrageous. If you want fresh and authentic German and Eastern European food, go to Betski's.
- DennisDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I wanted to go somewhere special for her 60th birthday so we picked Guglhupf's. We decided to invite some close friends who were a bit apprehensive about going as they had never been here and assumed the restaurant was selling hot dogs and sausages. We'll throughout the meal we kept hearing how they loved the ambience and the food and as we were leaving it was declared that Guglhupf's was now their favorite restaurantSpecial Features:
- Guglhupf for Restaurant WeekMattDined on 6/7/2014We did not hesitate to choose Guglhupf to take a friend to a special dinner. They always make a fine meal, and we love sitting outdoors among the umbrellas and water features. The weather was perfect, and the food was superb. We also brought our 10 year old, and the staff was very generous and helpful with him.Special Features:
- Review of GuglhupfOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014the food was excellent and very different. The service was good but we had to remind the server about butter and a steak knife. The restaurant was very difficult to find since it's located behind another store.Special Features:
- Great serviceFoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014Patrick the manager took great care of us after our server didn't see us for awhile, after she realized she had a table, all was perfect. Great beers and unbelievable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsFrenchseashellDined on 6/6/2014I've been going to Guglhupf since it's inception. Always great, innovative food, and friendly. Guglhupf is my restaurant of choice when I have out-of-town guests (and there have been many over the years).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful German FoodRickDined on 6/6/2014We love German food, and our first trip to Guglhupf did not disappoint. The Wienerschnizel was amazing. So were the house-made spaetzel and wurst. They have a good selection of German wines and beers too. We're looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceBlueBakerDined on 6/5/2014We took advantage of Restaurant Week to try Guglhupf and we were very pleased. The food was great, we had a nice table upstairs, and they kept the water glasses full and the bread coming. I would certainly eat there again. The desserts were particularly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but..get new outside chairs!Bam81Dined on 5/31/2014We went with friends for dinner on a beautiful end of May evening. The outdoor patio is beautiful - this is one of the best outdoor dining spots in Durham. Unfortunately, the chairs are extraordinarily uncomfortable. The seats are too deep and the backs lean away from the table. By the end of the evening my back was hurting. The food and drinks were good and we were pleased with the scallops, stuffed cabbage rolls, and the smoked trout salad. Fortunately, we were not in a hurry, because our waiter seemed to have too many tables to serve. At one point he brought dessert menus - and we were still waiting for our entrees to be served! Still, I love Guglehupf and will dine there again, but I'll bring a pillow for my back next time.Special Features:
- Could have been betterFoodie16VIPDined on 5/29/2014We went here expecting great things after the recommendation we received. The decor was very intriguing and from the menu it all looked promising. However, the experience was greatly diminished by distracted and inattentive service. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved soon as the food was quite good.Special Features:
- Love the GuglluvthebullDined on 5/20/2014As always, the food was great. There's just a fresh "pop" to it, nothing tastes like it has sat around for a while or come off a shelf or out of a freezer. Friendly ambiance where you're really sitting in a nice outdoor cafe, European style, and generally great service. This time, I'd say our server was a little less than quick an friendly, but the food still came out fast. Good selection of wines, including the discounted ones on Tuesday wine night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food lousy serviceCappittsboroDined on 5/17/2014We had a pork porterhouse and swordfish, both of which were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. On the other hand, if we needed anything, from a refill of our drinks to a new fork, we were SOL. Over a period of an hour and 15 minutes we saw our waiter 4 times. To take our order, to give us dessert menus, to take our dessert order, and for us to pay. We had to periodically flag down other staff if we needed anything.
- nice vegetarian optionsJannieDined on 5/16/2014Nice variety of vegetarian options. We also enjoyed the opportunity to sit in the outdoor dining area with our dog on a lovely evening.Special Features:
- GreatRalphVIPDined on 5/16/2014Always great! Great food with an Austrian bent. Schnitzel is great, sausage selections are terrific muscles very good. Adequate wine selection. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- TORNADO!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014We had the pleasure of visiting during a tornado warning! The chef was kind enough to let everyone huddle in the basement bakery, while the storm passed, we lost electric, and they still managed to serve us the best dinner in town! They comped everyone's meal, put out extra candles and exceeded our expectations. This place has customer service down pat. We will be back! Tim, our server, couldn't have been more accommodating.Special Features:
- Stylish but relaxedFoodlover06Dined on 5/10/2014My husband and I recently ate dinner at Guglhupf to celebrate his graduation from MBA school. The interior is beautiful and stylish, but the atmosphere is not at all stuffy or uptight. Our server was friendly and made excellent recommendations. The food was excellent, with high quality ingredients, beautiful presentation, and creative flavor combinations. We will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.