67 First Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
South AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://guayoyorestaurant-ny.com/
- Phone: 2129796646
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American
- Executive Chef: Carmen Isturiz/Masanobu Ishikura/Gustavo Roldan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering and parties available to all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Cristina Infante 2129796646
- Entertainment: Occasionally Latin musicians.
A word from Guayoyo Restaurant
Guayoyo, located on the corner of First Avenue and 4th Street, is a Venezuelan bistro owned by chefs Carmen Isturiz and Masanobu Ishikura. Although Guayoyo bases its roots in Venezuela, it is also influenced by different cultures and offers an inspired menu that reflects the diversity of the lower east side and Carmen and Ishi's home cooking. Guayoyo offers traditional Venezuelan specialties such as Pabellon Criollo and Arepas, alongside Duck Confit Rolls, Black Bean Mojo Burgers, and anything in between.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Guayoyo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good to grab tasty treats!RandPVIPDined on 9/14/2014Good presentations of tasty Venezuelan treats @ this small friendly spot. Nice bar scene, comfortable service. Bare decor, keeps space loud-- or was that the great happy hour deals? Worth a trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at the right pricefoodie41Dined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed the night at Guayoyo, the food was great and desserts were also really good. Great for throwback night with friends. The beer list is limited and the sangria was not the best I had but the hospitality and great atmosphere more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!sgypsymermaidDined on 8/18/2014great food, complex flavors. love the white passionfruit sangria. *****************************************************Special Features:
- Relaxed Sunday BrunchFoodAdoreDined on 8/10/2014My friend and I went here for brunch on a Sunday and absolutely loved it! The food was delicious and authentic. I have not had a sweet arepa in a long time. The service was also great. The server came to check on us a few times but at no point did we feel rushed. I would definitely go back and recommend this place.Special Features:
- great findAFM42Dined on 7/19/2014Great find, good food - great flavors. Lots of potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Guayoyo Restaurant reviews archive.
- Love this place!sincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 4/29/2014I always leave this place satisfied. The arepas are delicious, the apps are divine (mmmm yucca fries), and the micheladas totally hit the spot. I've only been during the week but it's always a nice crowd, never packed, and the people are really friendly. Total gem!Special Features:
- Good but no frill diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/2014Small cute East Village establishment. Very clean, went for brunch on the weekend. We had Huevos Benedict and Cachacas (corn arepas w cheese, all good. But it's very low frills dining and I'm a little surprised how we were nickle and dimed. I ordered a cup of coffee with milk (which came in a tiny pitcher on the side) and then a refill. They charged $3.50 for the coffee milk and $2.50 for the refill. It's unusual to get charged for a second cup of coffee at brunch in New York but why was the first cup more? Because I ordered milk. I couldn't believe they charged $1 for the milk, then more for the refill! It's a small place and they probably have high overhead. But I thought this was pretty cheap of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueFoodieLawyerVIPDined on 3/14/2014My wife and I went to this place because it looked unique, fun, and a good value. It was all of those things. It is not high end, but the food was great and we will certainly be returning. Take the other reviewers' suggestions to try the arepas. On a value scale from 1 to 10, I would give this an 8.
- ExcellentsincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 2/27/20142nd time dining here and again, everything was wonderful. Food is delicious and prices are reasonable! Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/21/2014The food was great and the restaurant itself is very cute. It was really dark in there, really loud and the place is small. We went on a Friday night and the place was packed. I had to practically shout to hold a conversation with my friends. There was only one waiter and the poor guy was running around taking care of everything himself....even the busboy was scarce. This made service really slow and he made a couple mistakes with our order. The drink list was pretty limited also. Overall the experience was good, I loved my food. It was delicious and proportions were very generous. I would definitely go back to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great arepasAnonymousDined on 2/8/2014Food was great. Highly recommend the arepas. Servers were friendly but super slow. I didnt appreciate an included gratuity for a party of four, particularly in light of the painfully slow service. That said I would go back because the food really was good - I would just be more proactive about hailing the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was bland at bestEmmaVIPDined on 2/7/2014While this place is good for accommodating large groups at the last minute, the food is just so so. Arepas are mostly bland and we had to douse it in spicy sauces to bring out some flavor. I would not recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious ---sincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 2/6/2014Everything was delicious --- we enjoyed guac served with plantains and taro chips, delicious arepas, sweet & spicy micheladas, and yucca fries that have been in my dreams ever since. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Excellent East Village Brunch Spot!LeahbyDined on 1/5/2014We have been here for brunch 2x now. The food is delicious and there has never been a wait on the weekends. This has definitely become one of our favorite neighborhood spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, mediocre servicearkitektDined on 12/31/2013We walked in on time, and with a reservation, and waited 10 minutes for a staff member to acknowledge we were even there. It took another 20 minutes for us to be seated. It was New Year's eve, and crazy, and they may have been short-staffed, but at the very least, our presence being acknowledged would've been nice. The kitchen was quick to turn out the DELICIOUS food, but the front of house is extremely disorganized, and screwed up the check (twice). You can order online, and that's what I would suggest for this place. If you're a stickler for perfect service this isn't the place for you, but if you're a foodie willing to wait for amazing Arepas, have at it. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2013Authentic Venezuelan food. A rarity in NYC.. Very good.Special Features:
- I love this place.AnthonyDined on 11/26/2013This is the best Venezuelan food in NYC, as well as something for anyone's discerning palate. If you don't know what Venezuelan food is, please check it out. Delicious. The people are wonderful, the service friendly, attentive. So happy they are in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Venezuelan GemEtiPDined on 11/14/2013This place is a Venezuelan oasis in the East Village. The food is spot on and the ambience is perfect for a casual date or group dinners. It's tough to find tequeños and cachapas as is but I would be hard pressed to find anyone that can make them better than guayoyo. Although they don't serve liquor they it up with a slew of delicious beer and wine based concoctions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun food, tasty combinationsLCbklynDined on 10/2/2013Everything we had was flavorful, simple, creative, and easy to share (even the arepa). They were accommodating in terms of putting some ingredients on the side and the server was helpful with letting us know portion sizes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013I have now been to guayoyo several times. Every time I am quite impressed by the food and drink, which are delicious and reasonable priced, but leave feeling somewhat disappointed by the service. The servers are very friendly and welcoming, however two of the three times I have gone they have gotten part of the order mixed up or forgotten to serve certain dishes. One time they even gave us the wrong credit card back (the restaurant was not crowded). I would consider going back for their yummy drinks and arepas but make sure to go on a day that you are not in any rush.Special Features:
- Great for South American Food! ForOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2013Great for South American Food! For a simple but excellent dinner, with fine ingredients, very pleasant service and ambience, this East Village spot is a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious foodRachelFDined on 7/20/2013Great food - arepas are delish. We had the red sangria and it was very refreshing. Service was decent-a little slow when we were trying to leave, but overall, it was great. Will definitely return if I'm in this neighborhood and craving this type of food. (Also, same quality/type of food as Fonda and Poco around the corner, but totally less crowded and more casual ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic venezuelan foodMicgDined on 7/11/2013Authentic venezuelan food and quality venezuelan service. Everything was exceptional and being venezuelan, I felt right at home. Felicitaciones mis panas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what I had hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2013Absolutly fantastic food and service. Ate with my wife and kids who were so excited to try the food. Thank you and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013My friend and I had a very difficult time deciding what to order as everything looked so good! We ended up selecting two arapas, the kale salad, and the octopus appetizer all of which were delicious. We also ordered a glass of the red and white sangria, both of which were very good. The atmosphere was festive and the staff was friendly and helpful. The dishes were reasonably priced. I would definitely go back and would love to try their brunch!Special Features:
- Good food, good priceAceHDined on 6/3/2013This is a great place for good, cheap eats. Everything is moderately priced and delicious.They do arepas well and it's nice to see they don't try to expand beyond what they know they're capable of. It's a relaxed, casual atmosphere that makes catching up with friends easy.Special Features:
- Way chiller than caracasChelseaDDined on 5/26/2013This place was great. We were looking for a place for 8 people close to ucb east, caracas arepa doesn't take reservations, but this place did, and last minute. Midday on a Sunday a steady crowd but not packed, the juices were incredible, everyone's arepa was great, very friendly service, even though we all got there and ordered at different times they didn't care. Bright, clean, super affordable. Thumbs way up. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arepas, arepas, arepasjasonVIPDined on 5/10/2013This place is amazing if you love arepas. I had more than my share on my visit. Sangria is good. Service is ok - wait staff was nice but too busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrifico!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/3/2013I went to this place a couple times with a friend and loved it. Then found myself in th LES and randomly deciced to go on a Friday night with a group of people. What a great idea that was! Although the place is tiny, the server got us a table and placed in in the front of the restaurant. He (very sad I don't remember his name) was a great server. Extremely friendly and helpful with the menu (for my friends that had not been) the sangria packs a punch so I recommend going and having some arepas while you have yourself a few glasses of sangria. Would absolutely return and try to make it there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they definitely need to improveChristieVIPDined on 4/13/2013they definitely need to improve their service; even with the reservation, we waited almost half an hour for a table. Overall, the service was disappointing throughout the dinner; they came and rushed us to order then practically disappeared till we seek for our check.Special Features:
- OK fare - onion & steak wasValueHunterVIPDined on 4/12/2013OK fare - onion & steak was good and fried yuca was terrific!
- Great food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013Very good food, friendly staff. Groups have to be small in my opinion, maynot work for large groups. Affordable. Ambience cheerful, thankfully free of hipsters and noisy bar-going types, even if located in east village.Special Features:
- Delicious arepas! I likeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/15/2013Delicious arepas! I like this place more than Caracas just because this is an actual restaurant, nicely decorated, fun music, and yummy food! More arepa choices here too. Service tends to be slow, but still a great place!
- Worth coming back toOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/10/2013Great food and service. Very "homey" / "Personable" staff.Special Features:
- Arepa WepaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/9/2013Amazing arepas. I've been here before for brunch and the food was incredible. I will always come back here when I need my fix of arepas.Special Features:
- Love this place. Go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013Love this place. Go back regularly and they always have very friendly service and consistent quality of food.Special Features:
- delicious, different and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012We had a delicious Sunday brunch to celebrate my wife's birthday. Food was amazing. Real traditional Venezuelan cuisine with a gourmet touch and international influence-- first time I ever had "arepas florentine" and it fulfilled all expectations. The sole waiter did his best to serve us, although he could've used some help when it started getting busier towards noon. He was nice enough to bring a birthday desert with sparkly candles and put on a fun hat and birthday music for the whole place to sing-- only lasted about 30 seconds, so it wasn't annoying or embarrassing. Highly recommend this underrated place.Special Features:
- Will Be Back For SureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/4/2012I had brunch at Guayoyo as it is hailed as one of the best brunches you can have in NYC. I was extremely impressed with the authenticity of the Venezuelan cuisine. The arepas are absolutely a must... share one if you can. The service was incredible. I felt like my grandmother back in Dominican Republic was catering to my every want and need there. It fill up for brunch around 2-3pm. I highly recommend Guayoyo and will most certainly be back againSpecial Features:
- If you like nice latinamericanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012If you like nice latinamerican food and Music, this is the perfect place.Special Features:
- Lots of fun. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2012Lots of fun. Great service. Biggest fault was the desserts. Food was typical Venezuelan, delicious. Great service.Special Features: