Guard & Grace
1801 California Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Guard & Grace
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.guardandgrace.com/
- Phone: (303) 293-8500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Social Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Troy Guard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jeorgette x
A word from Guard & Grace
Chef Troy Guard’s largest and most exciting concept, Guard & Grace, is a 9,000 square ft. modern American steakhouse located at 1801 California Street in downtown Denver. The sophisticated new space offers private dining areas, one of Denver's largest patios, an expansive raw bar, a wood burning oven and open kitchen.Continued
Complimentary valet parking is located outside of the restaurant on California St.
Complimentary valet parking is located outside of the restaurant on California St.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Guard & Grace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Guard & Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
1 review since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
- Wonderful!WonderfulDined on 11/19/2014Had a wonderful lunch at Guard and Grace. Our server in particular was fantastic. She had great knowledge about wines, beers, and the food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in every way.MikeDined on 11/13/2014Outstanding service, food and atmosphere. The waiter was extremely familiar with the menu and was able to make some great recommendations. Our meals were outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and even better service!JsowkaDined on 11/12/2014All of the food was excellent and well prepared. The ambiance is very nice and the restaurant comfortable. The service was impeccable and our server nailed if from the appetizer to the dessert. He knew the menu inside and out and made excellent suggestions. One of the best restaurant meals ever. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!MountainChef34Dined on 11/12/2014My wife and I make a 4 hour trip to Denver every month or so, and when we do we always try a new place to eat. Rarely do we dine at the same place since there are so many great places to choose from. Guard & Grace will be our exception. Our server, Wade, made sure from the beginning that our service was going to be memorable. The army in the kitchen did their job as well, serving us perfectly executed courses. There was not a single course that we thought was "Ok", we were excited to see if the next course could possibly be better than what we just had. Wade's recommendations were outstanding. Starting with the East Coast Oysters, to the Buffalo Tartar and the Burrata Cheese course, followed by our entrees, Prime Hanger steak with a side of housemade steak fries (with a bacon sauce!) and strangely enough, Chicken enchiladas, Wade paced each dish perfectly. Rarely do we do dessert, but we saved room because we knew we would regret it otherwise. The apple bread pudding and whiskey caramel ice cream paired with a Ruby Port and a couple of espressos, was the best finish to a meal ever. We are not wine drinkers, we seek great beer. Most restaurants of this caliber tend to have a so-so beer selection. Not here, Brown Ales, a variety of IPA styles, Ales and Stouts, provides something for any beer geek. Then came the bill. My sticker shock was because I thought maybe a dish or two did not make it on the bill, not the case! Best value for what we received in a long time. Hope you experience what we did! CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!DawnDined on 11/11/2014Loved this restaurant! Cocktails were excellent, wine list very good. Food was out of this world! Excellent experience from the moment we entered the door; very pleasant, helpful, wonderful staff. Our waiter Nat was a gem; he was helpful and very educated about the offerings. The icing on the cake: a birthday card signed by about a dozen of my closest strangers who I now thank for the best birthday dinner I have ever had (and I have had more than I care to admit)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014This is the second time I have dined at Guard and Grace. Very attentive service. As a reason for the review, though, the service slowed down. It was obvious that the place had several large groups, but they need to be prepared if they have that much seating, to be prepared. The green salad was bland. I had the black cod, and it was delicious. The brocollini it was on was limp and bland. The other folks I dined with had steak and love the dishes. I would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014scallops were extremely salty. however, without asking, these were removed from our bill. this was much appreciated as we did not eat them.Special Features:
- Excellent steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/8/2014Love the steaks here. The aged filet is great and they offer a small 4oz so one can enjoy the delicious side dishes. Wine list is also great!Special Features:
- Needed a little more attentionCarolVIPDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I tried this new-ish steakhouse run by the owner of TAG, one of our favorite restaurants ever. Everyone we ran into seemed to want to make the night fabulous for us. And while they tried, things did not turn out quite right. First, we had reservations at 8:45. Showed up at 8:23, and had to sit in the bar to wait for our time. at 9:00, the bartender finally had to hunt down the maitre-d' to seat us. By then there were three empty tables right together. Would we ever have been seated? We ordered shrimp cocktail with spicy cocktail sauce (offered by our server). The sauce that came was chipotle aioli, which I didn't know until I had eaten my shrimp. The bill came to the table with overcharges, which they fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy BiteFoodie1VIPDined on 11/6/2014This is definitely the hot spot in Denver, the place to "see and be seen", and they back it up with exceptional quality food and wait staff. One thing to point out, the atmosphere is very energetic, lots of hustle and bustle, so not the place to come for a quiet, relaxing evening out. And one negative was that we arrived about 20 minutes early for an 8:00 p.m. reservation on a week night, and they did not seat us until our appointed time even though there appeared to be several tables available. I would rate it 5 stars were it not for the "hostess issue".Special Features:
- Steaks are very good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014Thought the appetizers did not live up to the standard of the rest of the dinner. Cheese and meat tasting flights were meager, expensive and unimaginatively presented. Steaks, though, were some of the best prepared we've had. Service was attentive and knowledgeable.
- Horrible seating at busy timesdowntowndinerVIPDined on 10/29/2014We had a reservation for 12:30. We got there a few minutes early; most places would be able to seat us a few minutes early. Not only could they not do so, we weren't seated until 12:45. With no apology or explanation. And with at least one empty table in sight. Don't overbook, Guard & Grace! By the time we left, the place was pretty much empty, so I guess it's only likely to be an issue in the lunch hour. That aside, the food is good. I would go again, but would not tolerate a wait like that a second time. This is Denver.Special Features:
- Great dinnerPollyPancakesDined on 10/25/2014I was in town for the weekend. I had the au gratin potatoes with a 4oz Grassfed filet mignon and peppercorn sauce. Great food and service but charging 4+ for sauce is kind of ridiculous. Person next to me had doughnuts for dessert and they looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice.KathyVIPDined on 10/24/2014I came here with a work colleague on a business trip when staying at the Marriott across the street. my server was fantastic. I had the Grilled Octopus (which was good, but not the best i have ever had) and a cheese plate which was very nice. we shared the Mussels which were very good and my colleague had a steak which he enjoyed. it was a lovely meal but maybe overly pricey.Special Features:
- Loved every biteFood4snobbieVIPDined on 10/24/2014We came here for lunch and absolutely loved it. We had the fish sandwhich and shaved prime rib sandwich. Both were very good, along with a generous helpi of fries. We will definitely be back here. The service is great here too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2014This place has become one of our favorites for business lunch. Awesome food (truffle gnocchi and roasted carrots are fantastic) and outstanding service!Special Features:
- Amazing!GriffDined on 10/22/2014We decided to dine at Guard & Grace for our 20th wedding anniversary. Let me say that it did not disappoint! Our server, Jason, was polite, prompt and made us feel welcome. We went with two of his recommendations, and they were excellent! All the way from the oysters on the half shell, to our steaks(which were fantastic) to the Sticky Toffee Cake was a wonderful experience. The price is a little high, but for the food, atmosphere and the wonderful service, you will find it hard to beat. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Wonderful FindDex66VIPDined on 10/22/2014I was looking for a nice place for lunch with a client and stumbled upon Guard & Grace. What a pleasant surprise to find such a terrific new restaurant. I loved the look and vibe of this place and was in awe of the wine wall. The service was outstanding and the food menu was delicious. I was there for lunch but want to go back, sit outside with a glass of wine and the meat and cheese selections. When I find new places, I always check to see if they have nice space for private dinners, etc. The Guard & Grace has several private rooms of varying size which would be perfect for client dinners or meetings. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- lovefoodmuDined on 10/21/2014We ate at this restaurant twice in 4 days in denver. The steak selection was great as was the entire menu. The chef has several testaurants and we also had dinner at TAG another restaurant. All great. Dont miss these in Denver.Special Features:
- JJJ1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Great seating, wine was fabulous, the Ravioli Beets were amazing! I didn't think I would ever eat brussel sprouts again until our waitress convinced me that they were very good. So, I ordered them and I'm telling the truth..they were awesome! I am so looking forward to my next reservation :)Special Features:
- Inventive steak houseOrcasDined on 10/13/2014Menu, especially appetizers, is inventive. The prosciutto flight was excellent. Both the steak and prime rib were good. The roasted broccoli was outstanding. Opportunity to get cheese both before or after the meal is greatly appreciative. A splurge but worth it.Special Features:
- fast reputation best steak DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014A great choice if you just aren't the typical high end steak house type.. The prime and Angus steak cut choices are top notch...they do understand the nuances between blue and rare..apps and sides well done and great service. Space is sleek albiet not particularly unique...if steak is on your horizon this is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome lunch!donna9391Dined on 10/9/2014we went for lunch and it was great! Got the buffalo tartare and the octopus as appetizers, the buffalo was outstanding. Got a couple steaks for lunch and they were excellent. No complaints, highly recommended!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Excellent customer service and friendly staff.. good food..Special Features:
- Fabulous Food and ServiceFabfoodieDined on 9/26/2014We went to guard and grace for our anniversary and loved it. The food is amazing and the service is just as good. The beat steak and Brussels sprouts ever! Would recommend this to anyone looking to spoil themselves!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th Year Anniversary DinnerRHallerDined on 9/26/2014This was our second time visiting, and we were completely satisfied. The food and service was amazing, and we look forward to our next dining experience there.Special Features:
- Top of the Line!ChrisVIPDined on 9/26/2014Guard & Grace is among the top 2 or 3 restaurants in which I've dined in the Denver area. The menu has a wide variety and all the dishes at our table were excellently prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new steakhousecnoteVIPDined on 9/26/2014G & G is as good as and maybe better than the old Denver standbys for steak. Great choice of appetizers and steaks and sides. Sommelier was very helpful in choosing a great wine. Caesar salad was the only average thing we had.Special Features:
- Birthday Bash!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Guard and Grace made my special birthday celebration a beautiful experience. The entire staff was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!amazingplace2chillDined on 9/24/2014I have never been here before and was looking for a great place to take customers for lunch while at a convention. I found G&G while googling great downtown restaurants. I was not disappointed!!! We all enjoyed our meals, the service, and the atmosphere. It was an absolute gem! I highly recommend Guard and Grace for any business meeting or casual lunch. I wish I had time to experience it in the evening for dinner and drinks. It looked like a fabulous bar as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodluvrVIPDined on 9/22/2014This exceptional restaurant just keeps getting better. The very talented chef keeps creating new sensations! The mussels, recently added to the menu, are one of the very best mussel preparations I have ever had. In addition to the food, the restaurant is lively and exciting. Service is excellent and the staff is professional, friendly and well-trained!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guard and Grace...Amazing!Wiggdindin15Dined on 9/20/2014Best Steakhouse in Denver by far...I think it's the best Bone-in Ribeye that I have ever tasted! Sides and apps are really good too! Highly recommend the creamed swiss chard and spinach! Service was the best too! All around amazing dining experience!!Special Features:
- Very special birthday dinner!Beloved1Dined on 9/18/2014My best friend mentioned he'd love to have a good steak dinner, with a faraway look in his eyes. :-) I made a mental note of that since his birthday was coming up. From reviews, the pictures on the website and the menu itself with the choices of all Colorado beef....Guard and Grace seemed perfect! It did not disappoint! Jake was an amazing server. He was attentive, but not intrusive. A pleasure to converse with and very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. We ordered the three 4 oz. filets so we could try each grade. Our favorite was the grass fed beef. Delicious! They were all wonderful, and very tender. Sides of Chipotle Lime Smashed potatoes and seasoned brussel delish! The Tuscan wine was perfect. Dessert divine!Special Features:
- Great Unique FoodjroweDined on 9/17/2014Steaks were of great quality that you would expect at any great steakhouse. The other items were what set it apart. Cilantro Lime Smashed Potatoes were top notch, as were the mussels that featured a spicy coconut curry sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakGreatSteakDined on 9/16/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday. We took our time and had a break long dinner. Food was great and the staff was helpful.Special Features:
- Dinner with the out-of-town P'sFab512chickDined on 9/16/2014Aside from the food, the best part of the meal was the service. Everyone who waited on us, especially our waiter Chad, we're exceptional. Seriously, the timing was impeccable and each staff member carried themselves with class, knowledge and bit of playfulness.Special Features:
- Excellent steakDenverRocksVIPDined on 9/15/2014One of the best in town. Great service and a nice menu variety.Special Features:
- AmazingAmyEDined on 9/12/2014This place was even more than I anticipated and I was very excited about coming!!! The specialcocktails were right on! The burrata was so delicious the pork flat bread was a delight and my filet was perfect! I can't wait to go back! Oh and of course my favorite Pinot in all the land Emeritus absolutely fantastic. Marcus our server pointed us in the perfect direction! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoostVIPDined on 9/12/2014Delicious lunch with the girls - I loved my Scottish Salmon. Salads were quite big - but proteins on salad were smaller portioned.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsSchultz132VIPDined on 9/6/2014We took some friends there for a birthday dinner. It was fabulous! We all loved the dinner, the server (Marcus) and the experience. I had the snapper and it was DELISH!!!Special Features: