Guard & Grace
1801 California Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Guard & Grace
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.guardandgrace.com/
- Phone: 3032938500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Social Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Troy Guard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Cassie x
A word from Guard & Grace
Chef Troy Guard’s largest and most exciting concept, Guard & Grace, is a 9,000 square ft. modern American steakhouse located at 1801 California Street in downtown Denver. The sophisticated new space offers private dining areas, one of Denver's largest patios, an expansive raw bar, a wood burning oven and open kitchen. Complimentary valet parking is located outside of the restaurant on California St.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Guard & Grace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Guard & Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)fit for foodies (88)notable wine list (55)hot spot (52)good for groups (52)romantic (48)great for lunch (40)vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (20)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Unique FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Steaks were of great quality that you would expect at any great steakhouse. The other items were what set it apart. Cilantro Lime Smashed Potatoes were top notch, as were the mussels that featured a spicy coconut curry sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday. We took our time and had a break long dinner. Food was great and the staff was helpful.Special Features:
- Dinner with the out-of-town P'sFab512chickDined on 9/16/2014Aside from the food, the best part of the meal was the service. Everyone who waited on us, especially our waiter Chad, we're exceptional. Seriously, the timing was impeccable and each staff member carried themselves with class, knowledge and bit of playfulness.Special Features:
- Excellent steakDenverRocksVIPDined on 9/15/2014One of the best in town. Great service and a nice menu variety.Special Features:
- AmazingAmyEDined on 9/12/2014This place was even more than I anticipated and I was very excited about coming!!! The specialcocktails were right on! The burrata was so delicious the pork flat bread was a delight and my filet was perfect! I can't wait to go back! Oh and of course my favorite Pinot in all the land Emeritus absolutely fantastic. Marcus our server pointed us in the perfect direction! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoostVIPDined on 9/12/2014Delicious lunch with the girls - I loved my Scottish Salmon. Salads were quite big - but proteins on salad were smaller portioned.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsSchultz132VIPDined on 9/6/2014We took some friends there for a birthday dinner. It was fabulous! We all loved the dinner, the server (Marcus) and the experience. I had the snapper and it was DELISH!!!Special Features:
- Coolest new placeSpeedracer3Dined on 9/5/2014Fantastic food! Very cool and vibrant atmosphere! Great place to take the one you care about! Friendly service but still working on accuracy. Definitely, a new favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinnerberly1VIPDined on 9/2/2014My wife wanted to go to a special restaurant for our anniversary. We had visited Guard and Grace once, shortly after its opening, and were impressed. The service on our most recent visit was exceptional and attentive (Chad, especially, though everyone was fine). Beautiful room. Not noisy at all, especially in view of the hard surfaces. My wife had the snapper. She thought it was marvelous. I had the prime rib, ordered medium rare. It was good, but finished like a steak on the outside, rather than the usual pink surface. Nice wine list by the glass. Oregon and California pinot noirs were both very good. We'll certainly return.Special Features:
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014The food was amazing and perfect. The service was absolutely the best service i have ever received in a restaurant! Wade was our server and he was so friendly, professional, and knowledgeable about the food. He was absolutely great and made our dining experience even better. We both had the 22oz bone in ribeye grilled over their oakwood grill. We ordered medium and it cam our more on the medium rare side, however it was that good that we didn't mind that it was a little undercooked to our liking. The creamed spinach was great and the truffled gnocchi that we got a little taste of was to die for!Special Features:
- Happy Birthday!!ChochpVIPDined on 8/28/2014Flew in from east coast for family get together/birthday celebration. Everything at Guard & Grace was excellent. Sevice, food, presentation, creative twists on entire menu. Satisfied 5 different palates. It is a finely tuned operation. Kudos to Troy Guard. Would highly recommend for special occasion or expense account dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guard + Grace + GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014Overall an excellent restaurant for a special dinner. The steaks, as expected, were pricey, but worth it. The "family style" sides were some of the best we have ever eaten. Our waiter, Luke, was knowledgeable and personable. I appreciated his candor when he noted that the wine I selected had just been added to the menu, and he had not had a chance to try it.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceeddie51Dined on 8/19/2014Wanted to like G&G--great dining in the core of downtown is not abundant. Food quality and presentation was very good. Slightly overpriced. The dining space is sleek and inviting. However, the service was poor even for Denver--20 minutes late getting seated, one hour from placing order to receiving food.
- OutstandingjlernerDined on 8/16/2014For a special occasion, this is the place! Exquisite food, gorgeous decor, and top notch service.Special Features:
- All about the meat!foodie4everVIPDined on 8/16/2014What I like most about Guard and Grace is that they don't mask the flavor of the steak. It is good quality meat and they really showcase that. In addition, the desserts were really good, as well! I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- SpecialluvfoodDined on 8/15/2014Everything was perfect! Hubby and I made a reservation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were greeted with a card signed by the staff. We each ordered a glass of wine that didn't quite live up to our expectations. Our server, without hesitation, whisked them away and recommended a perfect match for our meal, which did not disappoint. After our amazing dinner, we were so full we didn't order any dessert. Our server still brought out a sweet platter of mini's for us to enjoy. From beginning to end, a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine dining at it's best!LarrydawgDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal. The Poke appetizer was the only part of the meal that was not 100%....it was a bit fishy but still tasty. The Octopus appetizer is to die for. One of the best things we have ever eaten! My steak was excellent and her prime rib was very good. I love the casual feel of the restaurant but really appreciated the fine dining experience. Our waiter Hoyt was one of the best waiters I've ever had. He was very skilled, highly informed on the menu and just a fine fellow. Kudos to Hoyt for enhancing an already great experience. I told Hoyt it was my wife's birthday and he made sure that our dessert had Happy Birthday on it and he also brought over a card signed by the wait staff....a very nice gesture.Special Features:
- Fantastic Lunch!Mthede1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Don't miss the brussel sprouts or the burger! The cookies served at the end of the meal were like little bits of heaven- maybe the best cookie I've ever had...Special Features:
- The foodDWP1VIPDined on 8/9/2014I've e been here twice and both times I ordered the black cod perfect both times, to die for!! A friend ordered chicken thought it was dry, another the lamb they didn't like it, another grass fed steak loved it!Special Features:
- Superlative!DisaPointedVIPDined on 8/8/2014Obviously, the review title says it all. Yes, it's pricey, but the "get what you pay for" adage holds true here. We had great service, fabulous food, and the table in the back that a certain letter writer had previously disdained, was for us an intimate, special place. Keep it up, Troy. Denver needs this restaurant.Special Features:
- High class setting; great foodMoakleymanVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a leisurely Friday lunch, starting out with some of the best crab cakes we've ever tasted...big chunks of crab. Followed this up with two fresh, delicious and plentiful salads. Great by the glass wine list. John James, our waiter, did a superb job. We mentioned (not really complaining) that the salt on the corn chips detracted from the smoked salmon "dip," and it was immediately comped. Didn't need to be, because the dip itself was wonderful, but...they did it anyway. He also taught me the varietal from which Muscadet is made: Melon de Bourgogne. Been drinking the stuff for almost 50 years and always assumed it was Sauvignon Blanc. Now, I know. Fun time was had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is always amazingCurious4LifeVIPDined on 8/8/2014I have always had John James or Josh when dining at G&G. They are both fabulous. The food is always superb. Great for business lunches!Special Features:
- Good Busniess LunchliziisDined on 8/7/2014Took a departing colleague out to lunch. Called ahead and asked for a table rather than a booth and they accommodated the no problem. Service and food were great. Lamb burger and Brussels were fantastic. Didn't care much for the music at lunch, a little to techno-happy. Despite the music, I look forward to returning.
- Wonderful service Wonderful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014First off I cannot say enough good things about the service. They knew who we were before we came in (baby probably gave it away) and had the table all setup for us with a birthday card for my wife waiting for her signed by the staff. Second was the patience and enthusiasm they had with one of our friends who has a long list of food allergies. Not only did they take the time to talk to her about all the food they made sure she didn’t feel like an inconvenience. All the food we had was excellent. The appetizers were very tasty but a little on the small side the salads, the sides and the steaks were very good portions and were cooked perfectly. The quality of the steak meat is beyond excellent.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Barfoodie4uDined on 8/2/2014We had such a great dinner. We ate at the bar and had perfect service. Our food was timed perfectly and you could see that the team worked together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceOutstandinDined on 8/2/2014drinks were very good. service excellent. grass fed filet mignon one of the best steaks we have every had. i like the choice for smaller portions. it was comfortable. good ambience. valet parking. much more interesting and better than most of the steakhouses in Denver and this is a local one, not part of a chain.Special Features:
- Great new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Guard and Grace made a great first impression! Had and amazing lunch, can't wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AwesomeZbigtomDined on 7/25/2014Had an awesome meal - ranks at the top of all time dining experiences. Great service from the hostess, bartender and our server - Katie. The food was out outstanding. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- don't order the prime ribbbtdinnerDined on 7/24/2014The steaks and starters were excellent, but the prime rib was tough! I was told it was finished on the wood fire, but it looked and chewed like it was totally cooked like a steak instead of slow roasted! Service was excellent; staff was polite and attentive. Caesar salad was large enough to share. Will go back but will order a steak the next time.Special Features:
- Great new place to dine!DenverdinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant with exceptional service and a great atmosphere. Our waiter was very knowledgable and made some very great recommendations. We had a great time and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!DiscriminatingDinerDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful food, service, sommelier, atmosphere... everything was perfect. We have a new favorite restaurant in Denver.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurantStabsVIPDined on 7/17/2014We have dined at Guard & Grace 4 times this month. We have not been disappointed once. The food, service & ambience is outstanding. We enjoy the bar area with its friendly bartenders which allows us to pop in without a reservation. We will return again & again!!Special Features:
- Not Troy's bestAjdenverVIPDined on 7/16/2014Very underwhelmed by the food and the service. The bartender, Matt, was the highlight of the evening. Friendly, knowledgable and accomodating. From there things were just mediocre. Our server did not seem very polished or knowledgable. The steaks, which we ordered in the classic style (cooked in an 1800 degree oven) were lukewarm. I'd give it another shot because I think that at its best it would be really good. Unfortunately in my experience it was not.Special Features:
- Troy Guard = Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014I love the atmosphere at Guard & Grace and the food doesn't disappoint either. We had a delicious appetizer of buffalo tartar and some salads and steaks. All of the food was wonderful, I'd definitely recommend checking this place out.Special Features:
- mariaDined on 7/15/2014STAFF VERY FRIENDLY AND BROUGHT WATER WHILE WE WERE WAITING FOR OUR TABLESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old bread cold foodmariaDined on 7/14/2014I ordered the French dip and it was not good. The bread was old, there was hardly any sauce on the meat. The fries were just luke warm & they were tiny like from the bottom of the bag. The restaurant was FREEEEEEZING. We had to order hot coffee for lunch.
- Flavorful but a work in progressMegDaveDineOutDined on 7/11/2014We loved the atmosphere, the oysters, burratta, bone in ribeyes and filet as well as the smashed and mashed, the zucchini and the carrots. However the angliotti lacked sauce and enough lamb and the octopus was over cooked and chewy. Also, the server didn't have a lot of enthusiasm to talk about the menu outside of selling additional sides or sauces. Great wine selection and draft beer selection as well as creative and delicious dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceDenverDinerDined on 7/11/2014We had a great meal here on a Friday evening at 8PM: steaks, appetizers, salads and sides. We didn't try any of the small plate first menu, but you won't go wrong with the steaks they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014good, but pricey... not sure value is there... but fun to visit rarelySpecial Features:
- Excellent food and servicedavdenverDined on 7/7/2014Octopus and black fish were excellent. Bison tar tar okay. Crab appetizer was very good. Coffee cake was superb. Best service in Denver, very knowledgeable about the food and cooking processes, at least Wade our waiter rocked..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.