939 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://guantanameranyc.com/
- Phone: 2122625354
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday & Sunday 4:00pm-12:00am, Thursday - Saturday 4:00pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Cuban
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Cuban music, Rumba, Mambo
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCuban
Guantanamera - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Guantanamera reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (15)romantic (10)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Food was good, but it was EXTREMELY noisy. They have music and singing that produced a noise level that was above and beyond being able to have a conversation. We all became frustrated and ate and left.Special Features:
- Good CubanHH4evrDined on 10/14/2014Good food - convenient location for pre-theatre dinner - what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveninngFrankVIPDined on 10/10/2014On my birthday we visited Guantanamera, excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive Review from a Miami GirlDCFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant. We used to live in Miami, so we cautious. However, the food exceeded expectations and was quite good. We went on a Friday night and there was a band playing. If you are looking for a quiet dinner, then probably not the best choice, but if you are looking for live music, it may be a good option.Special Features:
- MusicmarydbDined on 10/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find there was live music on the Thursday night we were there. The music was amazing! Thank you! It made our evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOutofTownerDined on 10/4/2014Best food we had while in New York. Not to be missed, but make a reservation as it is a busy place on Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy place to wine and dine.......DISAPPOINTEDDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is a great place to have a delicious Cuban food. The bar was hopping and the music was very entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flat out amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I come here ALL THE TIME. This review captures all of those experiences when my mom visited. Two words: Guava Crepes! OMFG!!! Combine that with the VERY hospitable service, firework candles for birthdays, amazing live music, and phenomenal food, and it's no wonder why I hear it's Eric Clapton's favorite spot in the city. Just go!!! PS...the ceviche also rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after theaterlpnmdDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, many entrees, coming from south Florida (with many excellent Cuban restaurants) had low expectations but guantanamera was among best of the best. Despite late hour (23:15) vibrant scene with unexpected 3 man band playing authentic Cuban tunes inducing those closest to get up and dance. Service was good. Cigar roller absent but they had stock, received Panatella gratis, was of superb quality. Worth the 1100 mile drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Food was mediocre , My churrasco steak was dry and bland. Coconut mojito was excellent though
- Good food, nice vibeNanaVIPDined on 9/22/2014I love the food here and the vibe. You feel like for a moment you're transported out of the hustle and bustle of the city to a nice island. The music is always great and the staff is very cordial. The paintings on the wall are also very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban RestaurantJaydeeVIPDined on 9/19/2014We ordered the special of the day and were most pleased with the variety of items included. It was a trip through Cuba without leaving NYC. Don't bother looking at the menu further, just order the daily special. I don't think they will steer you wrong. It will be one of my "go-to" places when I am next in Manhattan. That is is right down the street from Columbus Circle makes it even better. Great food and great service in a convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FredKVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our first time. The oxtail and pork chops were superb. We had an early dinner and were on our way out before the late evening crowd (and noise?) arrived. By the way, the Mojitos were, in fact, very good...almost as good as ours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Yummy & Scrumptious!dreambluDined on 9/7/2014Absolutely Scrumptious Cuban Dishes!!! Mojitos! Mojitos! Mojitos Are A Must! The Pan-Seared Chicken In Coconut Sauce With Cuban Rice & Beans, Fried Plantains, & Yucca Fritas With Cilantro Salsa Are Soooo Addictive & Yummy! The Live Cuban Band Was Superb! Great Meals, Drinks, & Music @Guantanamera!Special Features:
- Still great music!LovewaterfrontshacksDined on 9/6/2014I have been going to Guantanamera for many years. I went last week and I was disappointed with the food. It's not what it used to be. I think they changed the menu too. Thanks God for the music. They still have the same band which is dynamite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC mustTricie70816VIPDined on 9/6/2014The first time we ate here was 3 years ago on our last night in NY. Well I liked it so much I kept the name in my phone and when we went to NYC last week, we had to go back! We had dinner, sat and listened to music so long, we ended up ordering an appetizer and a dessert and more drinks! We went back two nights later for dessert and drinks! Love this place and when I go back next year, I'll be right there for my pineapple Mojito!Special Features:
- Great Food!MarinaDined on 8/31/2014Very tasty! A portion size is large. It can be sharedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/25/2014Lovely. Fun and nice restaurant. The food is very good and the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Find It Like IT!MainEaterVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was a very good restaurant near Columbus Circle. Short Wait for hot dishes and very good drinks. High noise level so don't plan to settle an argument it may seem as if you are yelling. But the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal and ServiceByrdVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time and meal. The only reason for the 4 stars is the menu on Open Table and online were outdated. It was sticker shock when we arrived.Special Features:
- Just Delicious!LindaDined on 8/10/2014My second time here and it didn't disappoint! Empanadas for appetizer were so tasty served with chimmichurra sauce...avocado salad with pineapple and mago vinegarette was perfect..pork entree with rice and beans and spices was soooo good! But, the homemade individual warm chocolate cake with melting vanilla ice cream on top was GREAT, THE WAITSTAFF WERE SO EFFICIENT, too! The music was wonderful. It was my birthday, and this is where I chose to go! I will keep this as a special place. I love the decor also!Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Everything we had here was great. The empanadas and chicken soup were great starters. The churrasco con chimichurri was excellent and a large serving. The desserts were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014We did not find the food to be impressive. The pitcher of sangria at $45 was almost as expensive as our two entrees.
- Know what to expectMovedonfromSpamDined on 8/1/2014Service and food where good, the room is a bit dark and live music although a bit loud was good. It is a bit on the expensive side but the high service charge for groups of 5 and more is annoying and offputting.
- Great food, amazing service!HappyDined on 7/29/2014The food was great, the service even better than that! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Decor is nice and friendly staffUnimpressedDined on 7/25/2014Food was lacking flavor for a latin restaurant...found it to be very bland. Entrees not worth the upscale price...
- Good but not amazingTomMDined on 7/19/2014Very solid and authentic Cuban food (but not amazing), and the sevice was also solid (but not overly warm, just proffeasional). In a small town this would be my favorite, but NYC is not a small town and there are many orher options that put a special flair on the preparation and seasonings that were missiing here.
- Great food; music too LOUD.AnneDined on 7/17/2014Cool place, great vibe, excellent food, but the music was way too loud.. Steak was melt in your mouth delicious, veg with rice totally great, fish good too. Just please tone down the music; quality was good but equipment TOO LOUD. Should be in the background and mellow, not DEAFENING.Special Features:
- Great!JosyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Love this place! I am Cuban & the food is authentic & good. Music is great, good ambiance. The service is friendly, helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A party after 8:00 Friday-Sunday!SteveDined on 7/11/2014Terrific traditional Cuban- Caribbean food, with truly friendly service in a bustling restaurant bordering Times Square that still manages to retain a neighborhood feel. Add traditional live music weekend nights and it is an unbeatable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night!FAC123VIPDined on 7/7/2014Good good, good service. Band was a little loud but still set the mood. Decent prices for Midtown. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuban food really?ArteVIPDined on 7/7/2014misleading, mexican maybe.........spanish maybe.......but real cuban food not so much!
- NicespiderguyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Good, hearty Cuban food. The lechon was very juicy and tender, and the maduros were expectedly delicious. Would've gotten dessert if I hadn't been so full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDaveVIPDined on 7/6/2014Fantastic location, great food and drink and accommodating with large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backFoodieNYCDined on 7/5/2014This place never disappoints. Great food, great table location, friendly service and a fun and lively atmosphere. A great dinner, enjoyed by all. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and tasty foodPjodoDined on 7/1/2014Guantanamera is a very nice small restaurant providing good and tasty food in an enjoyable setting. Appropriate serving and good selection of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJaarensDined on 6/29/2014Found everything to be good. The Mohito drinks were especially good, lots of whit rum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuba in NYrobertbernsteinDined on 6/27/2014I passed by this restaurant for years and thought it looked like fun. When we finally went, it was a great experience. The food was very good. The mojitos were great! The big surprise was the live music starting at 9. The musicians were great and the singer excellent. I left dancing on air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in many ways, except......HappyLeaderVIPDined on 6/24/2014First the good part: The food, the music, and the service were excellent. It's a fun place. Now... the problem: They offer something to regulars they call "Member's Club". I signed up & got a discount card. The accompanying letter reads: "Members shall receive fifteen percent (15%) discount at Guantanamera restaurant for any occasion for up to a MAXIMUM group size of ten (10) people dining". Pretty clear, right. But when one presents the card, the waiter sends the manager over, for whom English is clearly not his 1st language, and he tells me that I don't understand English - it's only valid if there are 10 people or MORE. WTF? Eventually he succumbed, but it was ugly. And I don't think they're planning to change it. So.... beware!Special Features:
- The following 713 reviews are from the Guantanamera reviews archive.
- FunYoungatheartVIPDined on 6/21/2014Authentic Cuban food and lively musical entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.