939 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://guantanameranyc.com/
- Phone: 2122625354
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday & Sunday 4:00pm-12:00am, Thursday - Saturday 4:00pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Cuban
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Cuban music, Rumba, Mambo
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCuban
Guantanamera - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Guantanamera reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (24)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (14)hot spot (13)romantic (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- FredKVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our first time. The oxtail and pork chops were superb. We had an early dinner and were on our way out before the late evening crowd (and noise?) arrived. By the way, the Mojitos were, in fact, very good...almost as good as ours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great music!LovewaterfrontshacksDined on 9/6/2014I have been going to Guantanamera for many years. I went last week and I was disappointed with the food. It's not what it used to be. I think they changed the menu too. Thanks God for the music. They still have the same band which is dynamite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC mustTricie70816VIPDined on 9/6/2014The first time we ate here was 3 years ago on our last night in NY. Well I liked it so much I kept the name in my phone and when we went to NYC last week, we had to go back! We had dinner, sat and listened to music so long, we ended up ordering an appetizer and a dessert and more drinks! We went back two nights later for dessert and drinks! Love this place and when I go back next year, I'll be right there for my pineapple Mojito!Special Features:
- Great Food!MarinaDined on 8/31/2014Very tasty! A portion size is large. It can be sharedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/25/2014Lovely. Fun and nice restaurant. The food is very good and the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Find It Like IT!MainEaterVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was a very good restaurant near Columbus Circle. Short Wait for hot dishes and very good drinks. High noise level so don't plan to settle an argument it may seem as if you are yelling. But the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal and ServiceByrdVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time and meal. The only reason for the 4 stars is the menu on Open Table and online were outdated. It was sticker shock when we arrived.Special Features:
- Just Delicious!LindaDined on 8/10/2014My second time here and it didn't disappoint! Empanadas for appetizer were so tasty served with chimmichurra sauce...avocado salad with pineapple and mago vinegarette was perfect..pork entree with rice and beans and spices was soooo good! But, the homemade individual warm chocolate cake with melting vanilla ice cream on top was GREAT, THE WAITSTAFF WERE SO EFFICIENT, too! The music was wonderful. It was my birthday, and this is where I chose to go! I will keep this as a special place. I love the decor also!Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Everything we had here was great. The empanadas and chicken soup were great starters. The churrasco con chimichurri was excellent and a large serving. The desserts were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014We did not find the food to be impressive. The pitcher of sangria at $45 was almost as expensive as our two entrees.
- Know what to expectMovedonfromSpamDined on 8/1/2014Service and food where good, the room is a bit dark and live music although a bit loud was good. It is a bit on the expensive side but the high service charge for groups of 5 and more is annoying and offputting.
- Great food, amazing service!HappyDined on 7/29/2014The food was great, the service even better than that! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Decor is nice and friendly staffUnimpressedDined on 7/25/2014Food was lacking flavor for a latin restaurant...found it to be very bland. Entrees not worth the upscale price...
- Good but not amazingTomMDined on 7/19/2014Very solid and authentic Cuban food (but not amazing), and the sevice was also solid (but not overly warm, just proffeasional). In a small town this would be my favorite, but NYC is not a small town and there are many orher options that put a special flair on the preparation and seasonings that were missiing here.
- Great food; music too LOUD.AnneDined on 7/17/2014Cool place, great vibe, excellent food, but the music was way too loud.. Steak was melt in your mouth delicious, veg with rice totally great, fish good too. Just please tone down the music; quality was good but equipment TOO LOUD. Should be in the background and mellow, not DEAFENING.Special Features:
- Great!JosyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Love this place! I am Cuban & the food is authentic & good. Music is great, good ambiance. The service is friendly, helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A party after 8:00 Friday-Sunday!SteveDined on 7/11/2014Terrific traditional Cuban- Caribbean food, with truly friendly service in a bustling restaurant bordering Times Square that still manages to retain a neighborhood feel. Add traditional live music weekend nights and it is an unbeatable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night!FAC123VIPDined on 7/7/2014Good good, good service. Band was a little loud but still set the mood. Decent prices for Midtown. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuban food really?ArteVIPDined on 7/7/2014misleading, mexican maybe.........spanish maybe.......but real cuban food not so much!
- NicespiderguyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Good, hearty Cuban food. The lechon was very juicy and tender, and the maduros were expectedly delicious. Would've gotten dessert if I hadn't been so full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDaveVIPDined on 7/6/2014Fantastic location, great food and drink and accommodating with large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backFoodieNYCDined on 7/5/2014This place never disappoints. Great food, great table location, friendly service and a fun and lively atmosphere. A great dinner, enjoyed by all. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and tasty foodPjodoDined on 7/1/2014Guantanamera is a very nice small restaurant providing good and tasty food in an enjoyable setting. Appropriate serving and good selection of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJaarensDined on 6/29/2014Found everything to be good. The Mohito drinks were especially good, lots of whit rum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuba in NYrobertbernsteinDined on 6/27/2014I passed by this restaurant for years and thought it looked like fun. When we finally went, it was a great experience. The food was very good. The mojitos were great! The big surprise was the live music starting at 9. The musicians were great and the singer excellent. I left dancing on air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in many ways, except......HappyLeaderVIPDined on 6/24/2014First the good part: The food, the music, and the service were excellent. It's a fun place. Now... the problem: They offer something to regulars they call "Member's Club". I signed up & got a discount card. The accompanying letter reads: "Members shall receive fifteen percent (15%) discount at Guantanamera restaurant for any occasion for up to a MAXIMUM group size of ten (10) people dining". Pretty clear, right. But when one presents the card, the waiter sends the manager over, for whom English is clearly not his 1st language, and he tells me that I don't understand English - it's only valid if there are 10 people or MORE. WTF? Eventually he succumbed, but it was ugly. And I don't think they're planning to change it. So.... beware!Special Features:
- FunYoungatheartVIPDined on 6/21/2014Authentic Cuban food and lively musical entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice choice near theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014I was looking for a well reviewed spot near the theater district and Guantanamera didn't disappoint. The service was great even when we were late for our reservation. Only one thing, the sweet plantains weren't sweet, they weren't ripe. We sent them back but the chef said they couldn't get them sweeter. They didn't charge us and the rest of the food was amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksCyn58Dined on 6/20/2014Food was excellent, serving size was just right. A little on the noisy, but we knew that going in, plus the World Cup was going on. Very lively atmosphere! Excellent cocktails, especially the Mojiotos. A great find for mid- town area. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Is this really Cuban food?LegoMyEgg0VIPDined on 6/20/2014Way over priced Cuban food even for NYC. Now... If the food was well Seasoned and appropriately proportioned, this would be a different review. But sadly, the food is bland and missing all of the Cuban flavor I was hoping for!
- Great ambianceChefsKidDined on 6/13/2014The live music was definitely a hit. It was awesome seeing people dancing and enjoying the music. The food was good. I had the stuffed chicken breast with sweet plaintains and mozarella cheese. I've had a similar dish at a restaurant in Brooklyn and I thought it was better there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sense of Cuban cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Loved the atmosphere,red sangria and mojito was flavorful. Live band was wonderful and went very well with the fried calamari and paella mariner. Great atmosphere, great service and would highly recommend this establishment if you're looking for a great dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Solid Cuban FoodUnimpressedDined on 6/3/2014A nice variety of appetizers and mains, with an assortment of adult beverages to wash everything down. The musicians showed up on stage around 9p. All in all, a good evening, which didn't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undiscovered GemEgilDined on 5/31/2014We'd never noticed this place before but we really enjoyed our meal. In particular the seafood paella is a terrific dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe everything you read287fhVIPDined on 5/30/2014A truly bad experience...food awful, service dreadful, menu write-ups misleading, noise level - very loud. In fact, the only positive was the very proactive and professional bus-boy...who really tried. I'd go to Taco Bell before I'd go back to Guantanemara.
- fun date placedfxbDined on 5/29/2014good restaurant, service wasn't that appealing. dinner was good, but not amazing especially for the price. mostly had MSG experience with the food, not a huge fan. i hear they have good happy hour, maybe i'll shoot for that next time.
- This place is a great!MikesDined on 5/29/2014Great food, great drinks, and live music. Enough said.Special Features:
- Authentic ...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014This was great, authentic Cuban food. It is hard to find a place that specializes in Cuban - Spanish or Mexican sure but real Cuban can be a challenge. Our waiter "Gogo" was very attentive and warm. He offered suggestions and did not steer us wrong. I was also fortunate to try one of their hand-rolled cigars that evening after I left. I wish I was there to hear the live music, next time I will make it a point. As Gogo said, just slide the table to the side and you can dance the night away. Just don't leave without drinking some Cafe Cubano for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Ambiance and Great FoodEatNYCDined on 5/23/2014I brought my parents to Guantanamera when they were visiting NYC. The ambiance, service, and food made for a wonderful experience. The paella was fantastic, as were the gambas al ajillo appetizer. The restaurant has a cigar roller who sits up at the front and rolls complimentary "fat boy" cigars which my Dad really enjoyed. All in all this was a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 700 reviews are from the Guantanamera reviews archive.
- Really deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014Truly phenomenal food and Great live music, but very loud. We decided to sit downstairs because we were dining with old friends and wanted to be able to hear the conversation, but we will go back next time to eat and to listen - not to talk!I would recommend this to a friend.