939 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://guantanameranyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 262-5354
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday & Sunday 4:00pm-12:00am, Thursday - Saturday 4:00pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Cuban
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Cuban music, Rumba, Mambo
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCuban
Guantanamera - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Guantanamera reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (20)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (16)great for lunch (12)romantic (10)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- livetoeatLivetoeatDined on 11/18/2014Menu whets one's appetite, but the food doesn't satisfy it. I am not Cuban so perhaps not the best judge of Cuban food, however I do know Latin food from my childhood and this does not measure up. Items: the corvina could not have been fresh plus it was overwhelmed by what it came with; the rice with shrimp was too salty and the rice gummy and mixed with ingredients that complicated a simple dish that should have been delicious; tostones were a serious disappointment cooked In some mysterious way that destroyed the flavor of the green plantains; the black bean soup, a Cuban specialty, was excellent. The grilled calamari appetizer was good but was served with a sauce that softened the expected crunchier dish I am accustomed to at other restaurants. Guantanamera is a friendly place. The service is good, the staff helpful and courteous, but the food was a letdown. Improve the food and the place will rock.
- Cuban At Its FinestPankoVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our first visit here but surely it won't be our last. We dined on Saturday around noon for a pre-theatre meal. Exceptional. It was quiet; the live music was being set up for later that day. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. Excellent rum list for sipping or cocktails. We had the mixed seafood ceviche with plantain chips to start--great! For our entrees we had sea bass and grilled chicken, Cuban style. Very delicious. Can't wait to go back on our next visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not Great Cuban FoodWebsterDined on 11/13/2014Nice, moderately priced cuban restaurant in midtown. The food was well prepared and authentic. The server wasn't helpful or friendly which detracted from the experience. We also did not stay for the cuban band which started around 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014too loud, could not hear the person next to you talk, and that was not life music, will not be backSpecial Features:
- FantásticoJosyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Good food, ambiance & fun place. Celebrate my birthday here last 2 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChamingAC864Dined on 10/27/2014Looking for a nice meeting place for friends and found it. Service was first rate and food was delicious.Special Features:
- SydneyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food and wonderful Cuban music. Server was polite and friendly.Special Features:
- Food, drinks and service is awesomelaschicasdeciDined on 10/22/2014Loved their basic Mojito. The Spanish wine we selected was excellent. Both, drink and wine were pleasantly smooth. Great for lunch and dinner. Would go there and invite others again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014We went for lunch and the prix fixe proved to be an excellent deal though the portions were too large for me to finish. The service was very friendly, yet professionalSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/16/2014Food was good, but it was EXTREMELY noisy. They have music and singing that produced a noise level that was above and beyond being able to have a conversation. We all became frustrated and ate and left.Special Features:
- Good CubanHH4evrVIPDined on 10/14/2014Good food - convenient location for pre-theatre dinner - what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic ambianceFoodieNYCDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful service and great food. The ambiance is always lively and energetic and our group of seven people did not leave disappointed. This is a great spot if you enjoy good food, live music, impromptu dancing from the diners and fun.Special Features:
- Nice eveninngFrankVIPDined on 10/10/2014On my birthday we visited Guantanamera, excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive Review from a Miami GirlDCFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant. We used to live in Miami, so we cautious. However, the food exceeded expectations and was quite good. We went on a Friday night and there was a band playing. If you are looking for a quiet dinner, then probably not the best choice, but if you are looking for live music, it may be a good option.Special Features:
- MusicmarydbDined on 10/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find there was live music on the Thursday night we were there. The music was amazing! Thank you! It made our evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOutofTownerDined on 10/4/2014Best food we had while in New York. Not to be missed, but make a reservation as it is a busy place on Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy place to wine and dine.......DISAPPOINTEDDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is a great place to have a delicious Cuban food. The bar was hopping and the music was very entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flat out amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I come here ALL THE TIME. This review captures all of those experiences when my mom visited. Two words: Guava Crepes! OMFG!!! Combine that with the VERY hospitable service, firework candles for birthdays, amazing live music, and phenomenal food, and it's no wonder why I hear it's Eric Clapton's favorite spot in the city. Just go!!! PS...the ceviche also rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after theaterlpnmdDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, many entrees, coming from south Florida (with many excellent Cuban restaurants) had low expectations but guantanamera was among best of the best. Despite late hour (23:15) vibrant scene with unexpected 3 man band playing authentic Cuban tunes inducing those closest to get up and dance. Service was good. Cigar roller absent but they had stock, received Panatella gratis, was of superb quality. Worth the 1100 mile drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Food was mediocre , My churrasco steak was dry and bland. Coconut mojito was excellent though
- Good food, nice vibeNanaVIPDined on 9/22/2014I love the food here and the vibe. You feel like for a moment you're transported out of the hustle and bustle of the city to a nice island. The music is always great and the staff is very cordial. The paintings on the wall are also very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban RestaurantJaydeeVIPDined on 9/19/2014We ordered the special of the day and were most pleased with the variety of items included. It was a trip through Cuba without leaving NYC. Don't bother looking at the menu further, just order the daily special. I don't think they will steer you wrong. It will be one of my "go-to" places when I am next in Manhattan. That is is right down the street from Columbus Circle makes it even better. Great food and great service in a convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FredKVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our first time. The oxtail and pork chops were superb. We had an early dinner and were on our way out before the late evening crowd (and noise?) arrived. By the way, the Mojitos were, in fact, very good...almost as good as ours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Yummy & Scrumptious!dreambluDined on 9/7/2014Absolutely Scrumptious Cuban Dishes!!! Mojitos! Mojitos! Mojitos Are A Must! The Pan-Seared Chicken In Coconut Sauce With Cuban Rice & Beans, Fried Plantains, & Yucca Fritas With Cilantro Salsa Are Soooo Addictive & Yummy! The Live Cuban Band Was Superb! Great Meals, Drinks, & Music @Guantanamera!Special Features:
- Still great music!LovewaterfrontshacksDined on 9/6/2014I have been going to Guantanamera for many years. I went last week and I was disappointed with the food. It's not what it used to be. I think they changed the menu too. Thanks God for the music. They still have the same band which is dynamite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC mustTricie70816VIPDined on 9/6/2014The first time we ate here was 3 years ago on our last night in NY. Well I liked it so much I kept the name in my phone and when we went to NYC last week, we had to go back! We had dinner, sat and listened to music so long, we ended up ordering an appetizer and a dessert and more drinks! We went back two nights later for dessert and drinks! Love this place and when I go back next year, I'll be right there for my pineapple Mojito!Special Features:
- Great Food!MarinaDined on 8/31/2014Very tasty! A portion size is large. It can be sharedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/25/2014Lovely. Fun and nice restaurant. The food is very good and the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Find It Like IT!MainEaterVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was a very good restaurant near Columbus Circle. Short Wait for hot dishes and very good drinks. High noise level so don't plan to settle an argument it may seem as if you are yelling. But the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal and ServiceByrdVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time and meal. The only reason for the 4 stars is the menu on Open Table and online were outdated. It was sticker shock when we arrived.Special Features:
- Just Delicious!LindaDined on 8/10/2014My second time here and it didn't disappoint! Empanadas for appetizer were so tasty served with chimmichurra sauce...avocado salad with pineapple and mago vinegarette was perfect..pork entree with rice and beans and spices was soooo good! But, the homemade individual warm chocolate cake with melting vanilla ice cream on top was GREAT, THE WAITSTAFF WERE SO EFFICIENT, too! The music was wonderful. It was my birthday, and this is where I chose to go! I will keep this as a special place. I love the decor also!Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Everything we had here was great. The empanadas and chicken soup were great starters. The churrasco con chimichurri was excellent and a large serving. The desserts were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014We did not find the food to be impressive. The pitcher of sangria at $45 was almost as expensive as our two entrees.
- Know what to expectMovedonfromSpamDined on 8/1/2014Service and food where good, the room is a bit dark and live music although a bit loud was good. It is a bit on the expensive side but the high service charge for groups of 5 and more is annoying and offputting.
- Great food, amazing service!HappyVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food was great, the service even better than that! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 727 reviews are from the Guantanamera reviews archive.
- Decor is nice and friendly staffUnimpressedDined on 7/25/2014Food was lacking flavor for a latin restaurant...found it to be very bland. Entrees not worth the upscale price...
- Good but not amazingTomMDined on 7/19/2014Very solid and authentic Cuban food (but not amazing), and the sevice was also solid (but not overly warm, just proffeasional). In a small town this would be my favorite, but NYC is not a small town and there are many orher options that put a special flair on the preparation and seasonings that were missiing here.
- Great food; music too LOUD.AnneDined on 7/17/2014Cool place, great vibe, excellent food, but the music was way too loud.. Steak was melt in your mouth delicious, veg with rice totally great, fish good too. Just please tone down the music; quality was good but equipment TOO LOUD. Should be in the background and mellow, not DEAFENING.Special Features:
- Great!JosyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Love this place! I am Cuban & the food is authentic & good. Music is great, good ambiance. The service is friendly, helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A party after 8:00 Friday-Sunday!SteveDined on 7/11/2014Terrific traditional Cuban- Caribbean food, with truly friendly service in a bustling restaurant bordering Times Square that still manages to retain a neighborhood feel. Add traditional live music weekend nights and it is an unbeatable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.