GT Fish and Oyster
531 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
GT Fish and Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gtoyster.com/
- Phone: 3129293501x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm; Oyster Bar open until 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am; Oyster Bar open until 1:00am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am to 4:30pm
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 10:00am to 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Tentori
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering inquiries: Please contact Abby Kritzler at 312.238.9896.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries: Please contact Jenny Davis at 312.929.3501.
A word from GT Fish and Oyster
Brought to you by Boka Restaurant Group, GT Fish & Oyster is an oyster bar and seafood-centric eatery named after chef/partner Giuseppe Tentori. Recently named the most anticipated opening of 2011 by Chicago Social Magazine, GT offers both traditional seafood dishes, such as clam chowder, lobster rolls, and fish and chips and modern classics such as stuffed squid with chorizo and saffron rice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
GT Fish and Oyster - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
GT Fish and Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (276)hot spot (159)special occasion (158)good for groups (100)neighborhood gem (97)notable wine list (79)romantic (79)vibrant bar scene (76)great for lunch (60)great for brunch (58)great for outdoor dining (45)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- Go for food stay for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014Food was good. But the service was better! Start with the oysters and end with the Mac and cheese.Special Features:
- Seafood. SeriouslyellietownDined on 10/25/2014If there was an award for best seafood restaurant in the world that is not located on an ocean coast, GT would win hands down. Freshest, purest ocean goodies served unadorned, or with seriously delicate touches in ceviches, grills and stews. Awesome cocktails too. It's noisy, and busy, and amazingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!cantstopeatingDined on 10/22/2014First off, the waitress was awesome. Our group didn't know which oyster we wanted so she just asked us a few questions about what we liked and brought out the best oysters I've ever had! The food was awesome (the lobster roll is better at GT than it is in some places in Cape Cod...that says a lot). And the drinks? You can tell the bartenders are properly trained. They even had chartreuse (much to my demise), which delighted my date.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Very Nice Restaurant. We went for my wife's birthday. Servicewas excellent, from the minute we walked in and were treated warmly by the hostess to nice treatment at the bar and then fantastic service from our waiter who knew the menu thoroughly and was enthusiastic in making suggestions and answering questions. The food was excellent. Octopus sliders, scallops, and the broccoli salad (I am not usually a fan of brocolli) were our favorites. It was a really good dining experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- DelightfulyovanillaDined on 10/21/2014Outstanding service, food, and character. Highly recommend the tuna poke, corn tortelloni, fish tacos, and any raw oysters of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Oysters!FromOakParkDined on 10/21/2014We love this restaurant and we are never disappointed. The food is excellent, but we go primarily for the oysters. The food is obviously fresh. Wish they had more sides offered to go with the courses though. Portions are small. Everything is served with expertise. Wine list is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters, Octopus, Mussels, oh my!julesrockslaVIPDined on 10/18/2014I was in Chicago, visiting from L.A., and so enjoyed my meal at GT! I sat at the bar, which got rather lively, and the service was excellent. I took the server's recommendations for a selection of oysters, and they were all very good. He also helped me with my other choices and the meal was a hit. The octopus was some of the best I have every had--extremely tender and flavorful. The mussels were in a rich tomato sauce, nicely sized and served with some grilled bread, perfect for soaking up all the yummy sauce. Another highlight was their house made hot sauces--one called "Smolder", one called "Burn" and a third, sans label, that was lemon based, but VERY spicy, in a good way. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent. Everything was prepared well and these guys obviously know what they are doing. Oysters were fresh and the monkfish was delicious. I was let down by the portion size. For the prices they are charging, they should give you a bit more food. For instance, the corn tortelloni....great stuff, but the portion is a walloping 4 bites. Brutal. Oerall, great food, but I still needed to hit up I TBell on the way home.Special Features:
- ChipDined on 10/18/2014The food is really interesting for those who like to try new tastes. The atmosphere is chic/upscale casual. Our waiter was extremely helpful with suggestions and spot on with all of them. Great wine list. Intersting cocktail selections for the adventurous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great but service was badSmhussmDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I live in the city and have gone here a few times. My parents were in town so we thought it would be nice and make a reservation for them and treat them to dinner. Their reservation was for 6:00. My parents arrived to check in at 6:13 (they had trouble finding it) and were informed their table was given away! I had received no phone call from the restaurant to ask if they were coming and was never informed that this would happen if they didn't arrive right at 6:00. They were rude to my parents and told them there was nothing they could do except sit at the bar. My husband and I go out to eat all of the time and have never encountered this (even at places like Alinea). Very disappointed and won't be going back.Special Features:
- Great food!topnotchDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came for dinner on a Saturday night and had a great experience! The food was wonderful, best octopus we have had along with the white chocolate cheesecake! We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting ChicagoEllieDined on 10/16/2014Our waiter was amazing . He explained every dish with enthusiasm and accommodated our allergy and dietary restrictions with great care. Each dish was beautifully presented, unique and scrumptious. The service was exceptional and we felt comfortable eating, drinking and chatting leisurely as we enjoyed each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GT Fish and OysterIreneviolinDined on 10/12/2014Disappointed by the wine list--too limited! Prices for oysters steep. There are many restaurants in town that offer fresh oysters for less $$. Was expecting more choices on the menu seeing as the dishes are offered as small plates. The fish and chips were an excellent choice --I would order that again if I were to go back. Love the fact that the restaurant is open late. A great choice for after theatre or opera night! Service was excellent!Special Features:
- Great night out!af26Dined on 10/10/2014The place is beautiful and exciting. The food was very good. A bit expensive but ok. The ceviche was delicious as well as the scallop crudo. The dessert was amazing. Overall a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!JengDined on 10/10/2014We loved everything we ate. The service was excellent and we will definitely return. The only downside was that it was a bit loud. We ewe celebrating our anniversary and had mentioned it to the waitress. At the end of the evening she even gave us a card with a $20 gift card fir next time - a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuEclecticDined on 10/9/2014The menu has changed since I was last there. Now they have small plates which allows one to sample many of their delicious meals. in all I think we had 6 entrees. My daughter is a dessert person, so she looked at the dessert menu, but did not order anything.Special Features:
- GT For LunchGoodEats8Dined on 10/9/2014Great service and exceptional food. Options for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic!AbigailFOODVIPDined on 10/8/2014Fun and lively crowd! Fantastic food with a flare! Overall was very impressed. Simply stated: guaranteed to have a good time and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticPamcapVIPDined on 10/7/2014It was a perfect night out !!! Sharing the plates gave us a good taste of so many different flavors and types of dishes. A must go to placeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Seafood!bs093070VIPDined on 10/6/2014Been wanted to go to this place for a long time, went for a birthday. The concept is for shared plates - I was with two other people, so we got 6 plates total. We liked everything - highlights were the chowder, oysters and lobster mac & cheese. Desserts and wine were very good as well.Special Features:
- Cute and deliciousCarebearqDined on 10/5/2014I have quite a few diet restrictions... I don't eat shell fish or oysters.. However I was told I HAD to eat here. I ordered fish tacos, poke, and fish and chips. The poke was possibly the best I've ever had. The fish tacos and steak fries were amazing.. Fried fish...is fried fish... They also have a tofu/egg plant dish, which I didn't try, but I was glad to have a vegetarian option. Totally try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Place in ChicagoSMULawyerDined on 10/3/2014Truly outstanding. Do not pass up the clam showder--it's probably the best clam chowder I've ever tasted. Lots of large, fresh clams--the perfect amount of bacon, etc. So delicious. Everything we got was simply outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Food- Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food, the service, and the ambiance were very good. It was clearly a popular place. For me, the portions were on the small side and this made the plates rather expensive. As stated previously, the food was very good- there just was not much of it. It is clearly a seafood tapas place, and that is perfectly fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudJenniesue12Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent seasonal menu with very knowledgable staff. Maggie was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A miss on the food and serviceThursNightDatesVIPDined on 10/2/2014We having a standing first thursday of the month date night to try a place we have never been to so we have seen our fair share of reat weekday nights out. We heard good things but must have missed the time when this resturant was great. Food was so so for the price point, GREAT wine list though. Fish was over cooked and they forgot to serve part of our meat dish. Serivce was also miss as we felt very rushed. We ended up going to a different resturant for dessert and after dinner drinks. I think the resturant is in the plateau stages.Special Features:
- good food-loud-moderately expensivePapaswampDined on 10/2/2014Came for a business lunch and had to change seats to a quieter nook near the entrance. REALLY REALLY loud. Food is expensive though less so than places like NOMI. Food is very good and well prepared, though. Would be nice if they added more whole grains and polyunsaturated oil-replete fare.Special Features:
- FabulousShannonDined on 10/1/2014Food was fabulous. Service was fabulous. Request Maurice. He's awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gt fish and oystersDiane7perezDined on 9/30/2014The food was fresh I recommend trying all the oysters. Service was amazing the manager introduced himself even sent out free dessert. Awesome service will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GT FabFoodieJKVIPDined on 9/29/2014GT Fish continues to be one of my Top 3 restaurants in Chicago. It never disappoints. From the AMAZING food to the helpful, welcoming service, everyone can enjoy brunch, lunch, dinner, or late-night oysters at GT Fish. Fresh oysters, tuna poke, clam chowder, oyster po'boy sliders and the Connecticut-style lobster roll never disappoint. Seasonal options like the branzino and halibut preparations are delish. Bartenders are quick and happy to make suggestions or deliver a precise preferred libation. Wine list is unusual and has some nice, affordable surprises. Staff makes great recommendations and is happy to stay within one's price range. Flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised as reviews so good...SanFranJDined on 9/28/2014Justo moved to city, went to brunch 9/28 as was on a couple "best brunch" lists... Hostess great, server seemed annoyed to be there, room too warm, drinks took forever despite half full, and a frowning second bartender cutting fruit while we waited... First time in my life ever asked for check after literally one bite (biscuits and lobster gravy; tasted like water thickened with corn starch). My friend's gravlax had runny cream cheese and looked gray... Just so surprised given all the great reviews.
- Great for brunching!Born2brunchDined on 9/28/2014GT Fish and Oyster is my new favorite brunch spot! I wanted to try one of everything on their menu. If you've never tried oysters before I would definitely recommend trying them here. They do a great flight presentation. Also, their bloody Mary's are on point! I got mine with Old Foresters bourbon...yum! Everything from the food to the pleasant and friendly wait staff was perfect (thank you Scott!) Please go and try and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousGr8LvDined on 9/26/2014The service was amazing, the food was so fresh and amazing;) oysters were so yummy we ordered 2 Rounds. Amazing meal. I hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- GT Fish & Oyster - Our "GoTo" PlaceTachikomaDaysDined on 9/26/2014My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our recent outing at GT Fish & Oyster! I'm proud to say we're regulars, and we always have a great meal! In addition to the great regular menu items like the oysters, Caesar salad, and lobster mac and cheese chef Tentori always has a nice fresh fish on the menu... it was swordfish on Friday and it was wonderful! And then there's the deserts... some of the best I've had anywhere. Service is great, they treat you like honored family from the moment you walk in until the moment that you leave. All in all a great dining experience that I recommend to all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineVIPDined on 9/22/2014I went here for oysters at lunch. The oysters did not disappoint, several to choose from and condiments were of good quality (very fresh horseradish and a delectable mignonette). The white wine that the server recommended with the oyster was perfectly paired with the oysters. All of this is to be expected of a restaurant of this caliber and I was very satisfied. What blew me away was the "Lobster Mac" that the server recommended after my oysters. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. The lobster was very fresh, the pasta was a trofie-type with a light creamy Italian cheese sauce....almost alfredo-like but much lighter. The flavors were awesome. My only regret is that there is not a GT Fish & Oyster in my hometown, Atlanta.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/21/2014While my husband and I had been really looking forward to our dinner at GT, we ended up feeling a bit disappointed. The food was just ok. Nothing blew us out of the water. The fish tacos almost had a taste like a foot smells to them (best way I can describe it) that was complete unappetizing (although, in fairness, our dining companion didn't have a problem with the taste). Everything else, while creative, just was meh. Also, the food was definitely overpriced for what you get - for a Sunday night dinner of almost $100/pp, I expected to be much more impressed than I was.Special Features:
- Excellent CaviarEkeckoDined on 9/21/2014One of the few places in town that offers a caviar service. Excellent caviar and perfect traditional presentation.Special Features:
- Great brunchSarahVIPDined on 9/21/2014Good mix of options. Shrimp and grits is my favorite. The ricotta pancakes are also great--light and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!DineronthegoDined on 9/20/2014Very interesting offerings and great service. A little louder than I like, but I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, average brunchAnikaDined on 9/20/2014GT is known for their seafood selection and I thought why not check out brunch as well. With dishes like lobster gravy and biscuits, shrimp and grits, chilaquiles, this was a brunch made for me. While the service and ambience were still wonderful, the brunch left much to be desired. The food just fell flat on most dishes, lacking the flavor that usually comes with dishes of this caliber. My group ordered several of the brunch menu items and the consensus was the same. I still like GT for dinner but probably won't return for brunch service.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchManningFaceDined on 9/20/2014Been here for dinner several times but finally went for brunch. It was excellent. The Mrs. got the whitefish quiche and I got the chicken & waffles. Both were very good. The service, as always, was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.