GT Fish and Oyster
531 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
GT Fish and Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gtoyster.com/
- Phone: 3129293501x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm; Oyster Bar open until 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am; Oyster Bar open until 1:00am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am to 4:30pm
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 10:00am to 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Tentori
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering inquiries: Please contact Abby Kritzler at 312.238.9896.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries: Please contact Jenny Davis at 312.929.3501.
A word from GT Fish and Oyster
Brought to you by Boka Restaurant Group, GT Fish & Oyster is an oyster bar and seafood-centric eatery named after chef/partner Giuseppe Tentori. Recently named the most anticipated opening of 2011 by Chicago Social Magazine, GT offers both traditional seafood dishes, such as clam chowder, lobster rolls, and fish and chips and modern classics such as stuffed squid with chorizo and saffron rice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
GT Fish and Oyster - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
GT Fish and Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
401 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (269)special occasion (160)hot spot (152)neighborhood gem (96)good for groups (92)romantic (81)notable wine list (78)vibrant bar scene (76)great for lunch (68)great for brunch (64)great for outdoor dining (63)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Surprised as reviews so good...OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/28/2014Justo moved to city, went to brunch 9/28 as was on a couple "best brunch" lists... Hostess great, server seemed annoyed to be there, room too warm, drinks took forever despite half full, and a frowning second bartender cutting fruit while we waited... First time in my life ever asked for check after literally one bite (biscuits and lobster gravy; tasted like water thickened with corn starch). My friend's gravlax had runny cream cheese and looked gray... Just so surprised given all the great reviews.
- Fresh and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The service was amazing, the food was so fresh and amazing;) oysters were so yummy we ordered 2 Rounds. Amazing meal. I hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/21/2014While my husband and I had been really looking forward to our dinner at GT, we ended up feeling a bit disappointed. The food was just ok. Nothing blew us out of the water. The fish tacos almost had a taste like a foot smells to them (best way I can describe it) that was complete unappetizing (although, in fairness, our dining companion didn't have a problem with the taste). Everything else, while creative, just was meh. Also, the food was definitely overpriced for what you get - for a Sunday night dinner of almost $100/pp, I expected to be much more impressed than I was.Special Features:
- Excellent CaviarEkeckoDined on 9/21/2014One of the few places in town that offers a caviar service. Excellent caviar and perfect traditional presentation.Special Features:
- Great brunchSarahVIPDined on 9/21/2014Good mix of options. Shrimp and grits is my favorite. The ricotta pancakes are also great--light and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!DineronthegoDined on 9/20/2014Very interesting offerings and great service. A little louder than I like, but I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, average brunchAnikaDined on 9/20/2014GT is known for their seafood selection and I thought why not check out brunch as well. With dishes like lobster gravy and biscuits, shrimp and grits, chilaquiles, this was a brunch made for me. While the service and ambience were still wonderful, the brunch left much to be desired. The food just fell flat on most dishes, lacking the flavor that usually comes with dishes of this caliber. My group ordered several of the brunch menu items and the consensus was the same. I still like GT for dinner but probably won't return for brunch service.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchManningFaceDined on 9/20/2014Been here for dinner several times but finally went for brunch. It was excellent. The Mrs. got the whitefish quiche and I got the chicken & waffles. Both were very good. The service, as always, was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swisspowerDined on 9/19/2014We had the Fish and Chips, very good with the breading so light ~ ~ The Crab Cakes were super but the Aioli sauce was to hot, no flavor but "hot" ~ the wine list was out of this world ~ very extensive ~Special Features:
- Good but not greatBriandLaurDined on 9/18/2014The oysters were great and very fresh. The crudo was excellent but the serving size seemed pretty small for the price. Skip the fish tacos (very bland) and lobster mac and cheese (the sauce tasted too much like processed cheese). Oyster po' boy was really good too. The best part of our service staff was the bus boys. They were very friendly and attentive. I can't say the same about our server. We had finished our last dish and waited about 20 minutes before flagging down the manager to ask for the check (didn't want to wait any longer for dessert).
- CharlieVIPDined on 9/17/2014The hamachi collar special was terrific. The lobster roll not worth the price but good. Oysters were fresh. Would go back again
- good seafood & services, but priceyabo020Dined on 9/17/2014Very fresh oysters, raw tuna. Excellent services and presentation. But you can get the same quality food elsewhere with more reasonable price. So this is a place for special occassion and have a good time.Special Features:
- Continues to impressnicknameDined on 9/14/2014Not my first time here and definitely won't be my last. Service is great and always very comfortable and accommodating. In addition to phenomenal service, their food is even better. Don't hesitate to order anything on the menu, you cannot go wrong.Special Features:
- Excellent brunchAnonymousDined on 9/14/2014This was an excellent brunch. Our party arrived at various times, and although the staff had every right to be annoyed or even to refuse to seat us, they made us feel very welcome. The room is well-designed, comfortable with lots of light. The food was excellent – chilequiles, chicken and waffles, lobster role, and especially the oysters – and other members of our party really enjoyed the cocktails. The wine list is great and has some really well-priced options if you know what to look for. Only complaints: our server forgot one entree, they ran out of a few options, and although they claim to serve La Colombe coffee, this was over-extracted or burnt. But those are minor complaints in what was, overall, a great meal. Will return.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunchtravel2eat2shopDined on 9/14/2014We were looking for good seafood in Chicago and decided on GT Fish & Oyster for brunch. The ambiance was nice, and the cocktail options were good. I had the Lobster Roll, which was very good but it was the first time I've ever had one, we are from the south! My husband had the Fish & Grits and the OG Johnny cocktail, both were tasty. The shrimp & grits had a tomato sauce, which is different than the Gulf Coast version but still good. Our friends had the Crab Benedict and the Biscuits & Gravy with Lobster and they both enjoyed theirs. The only negative for me is that they did not serve the Chowder for Brunch, and I really wanted to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farfelVIPDined on 9/13/2014good food, but not great..overpriced for the most part because of the skimpy portions...great cocktails though...
- I can't wait to go back!TizzyLoLoDined on 9/9/2014I had heard many great things about GT Fish & Oyster, but I often had difficulty getting a reservation at the right time. At last the stars aligned and I was able to enjoy the amazing food this restaurant has to offer. With a group of 5 ladies, we order Shrimp bruschetta (out of this world), ceviche, lobster mac and cheese, lobster roll (so delicious), halibut, fish and chips, four varieties of oysters (perfection), fish tacos (yummy, yummy, yummy), and two bottles of wine. Our server, Moss, was very knowledgeable on both the food and wine list and did not steer us wrong. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/8/2014the food was nothing special, oysters were gritty. The "small plate" portions were ridiculously small with barely a taste of fish. I was looking forward to this restaurant for a year but it was disappointing. Waitor was reaching for my plate before I was finished.
- Bad ServiceChicagoDiner13Dined on 9/7/2014The waitress greeted us with "Im busy what do you want to drink" and then when we asked her two questions about food items on the menu she only half answered the first and look annoyed and then when we asked about another item she walked away without saying anything. This was supposed to be a very special night (30th birthday) and the service ruined the beginning of the night.
- Sensational Seafood!TonyDined on 9/6/2014GT Fish and Oyster is a fantastic spot in Chicago to get excellent seafood you're sure to enjoy. Nice ambiance, attentive and efficient service and the food preparation is the perfect balance of home comfort and high-end cuisine.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicechitownfoodloverDined on 9/6/2014Husband and I went for our anniversary dinner. We tried all of the waitress's recommendation and absolutely loved all of them. My favorite was the Himachi (crudes). What an awesome combination of flavors. My husband's favorite was the tortelloni (hot). So delicious. I didn't care much for the key lime dessert (too much lime, needed to be balanced out with some other flavor) but overall everything was impeccable. And it didn't break the bank. Including drinks our tab was around $150 and portion wise (fullness factor) we felt good.Special Features:
- WEDDING ANNIVERSARYwas1957Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at GT. This was our first visit. Every dish we ordered was delicious. The service is impeccable. We felt like we were the only guests dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodricosgirlDined on 9/6/2014The food is served in Tapas portions but the food is heavenly. Everything is created with care and time and you can tell the chef takes great pride in the food. I enjoyed it immensley. The type of food that when you take your first bite, you have to sit back and your chair in joy and amazement of how good it is.Special Features:
- averagerookDined on 9/5/2014GT is typically a very solid option with many of their food items being very good. On this occasion the food was very average at best. More specifically the tuna poke was barely edible...have had it in the past and has been very good so unsure what happened...shrimp brushetta is always good...duck was average...salmon was very good...oysters are always outstanding...so overall another fairly solid dining experience as you cant go wrong with GT...just have to be selective when choosing your food as some items are a miss...and f you have a couple misses and endure avg service you can leave hungry and out alot of cashSpecial Features:
- holiday1Dined on 9/5/2014Waiter was most helpful in identifying the types of oysters - steered us into the right choice-6 west coast plump & tasty ones! Fun vibe, good food - small plates (which waiter did advise us of) and lovely presentation. Good lunch spot for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fishyAustinVIPDined on 9/4/2014The oysters did not taste fresh. Overall was kinda disappointing
- Just AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Great food and incredible service. An absolutely wonderful experience and I look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best food to eat in yrsServerlyfeDined on 9/3/2014This was a wonderful date night before traveling out of the country and being away from my partner. Josh, our server, made sure everything was perfect and helped us pair wines and drinks with dishes that made everything shine it's brightest. The food was on point, the hamachi collar was a special that we were glad to enjoy! I can not wait to go back! The oysters are super fresh and well cared for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Fell a bit flat. Did not have the bottle of wine that was ordered AND did not have two of the main courses that we ordered - reservation at 7:45pm. Later came to find that a dish that we did receive was w/o a key ingredient.Special Features:
- Always PerfectElizabethDined on 8/31/2014One of our favorite places downtown. The food is always delicious and the service top notch. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Great service, mgmt accommodated my request for a good table. Service was amazing and they also gave us a $20 gift card for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters!DinnerAt8Dined on 8/30/2014Loved the bar and the atmosphere. Many reviewers complain about the noise but we found it possible to have a conversation and enjoyed the energetic, chatty vibe. We tried several different raw oysters and found we loved the Glacier Point oysters so much we ordered more. At our server's suggestion, we paired them with champagne. For the rest of our meal we shared the lobster & strip loin (good), halibut (ok), and crab cakes (good). It's fun to try different foods, but I think I'm tiring of the "small plate" concept. It's difficult to come away feeling like you had an amazing meal when you only get a "taste" of each dish. That said, I would definitely return for the oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Went here for brunch on a Saturday; food was delicious & the service was good. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014GT Fish & Oyster never disappoints! It's our favorite seafood restaurant in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but very loudVFabsDined on 8/29/2014We went to GT to celebrate a graduation and immediately loved the decor, and the service was fabulous from the start. The only problem is that there are all hard surfaces there, and a very loud din throughout. We had to almost shout the entire evening to have a conversation. Something to keep in mind if you would actually like a more intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Love the concept of small plates with artful but yet down to earth seafood dishes. They have inventive plates like a fried squash blossom stuffed with crab meat, but even what sounds common has a twist. The fish tacos are one of my favorite as they are topped with an unexpected sprinkle of chicharron. The lobster mac and cheese with peas is a must have, as well as the PEI mussels with tomato garlic basil sauce and ciabatta bread, a combination to die for. I had dessert for the first time and learned they have a pastry chef. My favorite was the white chocolate cheesecake with a fig marmalade on top, excellent, great taste and consistency, it wasn't too dense, it was light and creamy and I could have eaten two of them myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OliveCecileDined on 8/28/2014Great date spot, enjoyed our night. Service was exceptional; food was fantastic! Love the lobster roll!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The service was exceptional and the food was fantastic. The oysters were brilliant to begin the meal with. The restaurant was noisy, which made it hard to talk to the person across the table, but I wouldn't necessarily come for a conversation, as the food requires a lot of smiling and "mmmmm"-ing. The octopus was a favorite, and the watermelon salad was delicious with the soy bubbles. It is a trip worth making and paying for. The plates are small enough that we were able to try a lot of different dishes, and dessert (white chocolate cheesecake with broiled figs), and leave feeling perfectly satiated in palate and fullness.Special Features:
- Swingin' seafood4theloveoffoodDined on 8/24/2014Attractive dining room and bar area. Wonderfully prepared and presented fish platters. Seafood very fresh. Best chowder we have ever had, even better than in New England. Service was courteous, professional, warm and the server's recommendations proved to be just the right thing. We were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Visitkatiesue28Dined on 8/24/2014I have always thoroughly enjoyed my meals at GT Fish and Oyster in the past, but, unfortunately, this visit I was very underwhelmed. The oysters did not seem as fresh as I hadexperienced before and I was extremely disappointed with the bland Salmon Crudo. The Halibut with Romesco was truly delicious, but I feel that the portions have become even smaller this year. My date and I shared plates to try more dishes, but many times it felt like we would only have a couple of bites before the dish was gone! I still will recommend GT because I have had fabulous meals there in the past, the service is always excellent, and it has great ambiance, but this visit caused it to drop a couple of rungs in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.