GT Fish and Oyster
531 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
GT Fish and Oyster
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gtoyster.com/
- Phone: (312) 929-3501
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm; Oyster Bar open until 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am; Oyster Bar open until 1:00am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am to 4:30pm
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 10:00am to 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Tentori
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering inquiries: Please contact Abby Kritzler at 312.238.9896.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries: Please contact Jenny Davis at 312.929.3501.
A word from GT Fish and Oyster
Brought to you by Boka Restaurant Group, GT Fish & Oyster is an oyster bar and seafood-centric eatery named after chef/partner Giuseppe Tentori. Recently named the most anticipated opening of 2011 by Chicago Social Magazine, GT offers both traditional seafood dishes, such as clam chowder, lobster rolls, and fish and chips and modern classics such as stuffed squid with chorizo and saffron rice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
GT Fish and Oyster - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
GT Fish and Oyster reviews from OpenTable diners
353 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (265)special occasion (150)hot spot (149)good for groups (104)neighborhood gem (90)romantic (78)notable wine list (74)vibrant bar scene (68)great for lunch (53)great for brunch (51)late-night find (29)great for outdoor dining (28)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (7)Show More
- 5th Anniversary Dinner - Oysters are awesome!NicoletteDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I really enjoy oysters and small plate restaurants, so GT seemed like the perfect spot. We weren't disappointed. We thoroughly enjoyed the oysters, the ceviche, Tuna crudo, Fish & Chips, Oyster Po'Boy sliders and passed up dessert in order to split the Lobster Roll. Our server's knowledge of the oysters and menu was on point! We were also pleasantly surprised to receive a "Happy Anniversary" card with a gift card in it with our check. Thank you for the wonderful experience, we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go! Now!newfavoriteDined on 11/22/2014I've dined at GT Fish & Oyster twice now and i'm going to keep coming back. The food is amazing, the seafood is fresh & the dishes are put together in an interesting and delightful way: pleasing to look at AND eat! Most of all i will keep coming back because of the service which is impeccable. I took my daughter there Saturday for her 19th birthday (mostly because i felt a girl born in Seattle should have tried oysters on the half shell by now!) and they made her feel like a queen. Our server, Maggie, made our experience one of the best ever: She's a real treasure and helped make GT Fish & Oyster my new favorite Chicago restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe the best brunch ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/22/2014Service was awesome, fried chicken and waffles was amazing, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely For LunchLovely4lunchDined on 11/21/2014An exceptional choice for a Birthday lunch!! The atomsphere is hip but welcoming and the drinks are SO tasty. We opted for traditional fare (clam chowder with fish and chips) and were delighted with the freshness and attention to detail in both dishes. Highly recommend for lunch or happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HipstersClementineDined on 11/20/2014Thursday night found us at GT. We skipped a later reservation and opted for a bar seat. Vibrant. Full of life. Several folks loud and hammered. All were good-looking and well-dressed. The service at bar was great, food good too. We had oysters, lobster mac, and tacos. Each tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & FoodbirdcokerDined on 11/19/2014Our server, Ashley, provided great service with recommendations and perfect timing as we were trying to make it to a concert later. Perfect coursing, never an empty glass, and delicious food. She even gave us a gift card for one of our party's birthday. We'll be back very soon to use that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheBIGCVIPDined on 11/15/2014Fish and chips were the best I've ever had, and that's saying a lot because I've had them in almost every Commonwealth nation to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood knockoutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant along with the service which was punctual and fun. The wine list is also stellar and well suited for a menu of this variety and elegance. I will definitely return to this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidjennDined on 11/13/2014Some menu items I like a lot more than others but overall it is great food. Standouts are the tuna poke, ceviche, oyster poboy sliders, gnocchi, and of course the oysters themselves. The mussels are good, but I personally like a couple other places in town better. The lobster roll, being one of the most expensive items, is a bit disappointing, but they have two styles to choose from (mayo based and butter based) and we ordered the mayo based, which none of us thought was outstanding. Maybe the butter is the way to go on it? Our server was just a little off. I got the feeling he had some contempt for me, or his job, or something; thinking about it I can't see anything I said or did that would have been perceived obnoxious so I don't know. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Either way, it is a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekday BreakSuburbanfoodieVIPDined on 11/12/2014Six of us had dinner there last Wednesday and it was outstanding as usual! Great for groups with all the sharables. Favorites were the lobster roll and the fish tacos. Desserts outstanding as usual - try the key lime pie with gin and tonic sorbet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High energy, caution for business meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2014This restaurant has outstanding food and a very high energy level. When we first arrived for our business dinner it was early and relatively quiet. By the time we left 2.5 hours later it was hopping and quite a place to be. From a business perspective, while they tried to accommodate our need to converse, it was clear an hour in, that it was not going to work very well. Simple too loud for that. Nonetheless, my client thought the place was great and wanted to bring his wife back for an evening in the city. The service was outstanding with a server that was very adept at guiding us through the menu, which is tapas-based but for fish, recommended amounts and also orchestrated the order of dish arrival that was absolutely perfect. So a great place, but if your intention is to also get some serious business discussion completed, you may want to choose something quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not sure I'll be backdcpolDined on 11/10/2014GT Fish and Oyster was good. My husband really liked the oysters and we sampled a ton of plates (monkfish, tacos, clam chowder, swordfish, mac n cheese, oyster po-boys). It was all good, but nothing really grabbed me and made me say, "I NEED to come back and have this again." I thought it was overpriced for what it was and wasn't very wowed. It was good, just not great.Special Features:
- Seafood Done RightFamilyDinnerDined on 11/9/2014Excellent food and always fresh seafood. Many of the dishes are small plates which is not my favorite way to order but this place does do it very well! If you are into seafood, GT Fish and Oyster place should be on your list to visit.Special Features:
- Fun Fish PlaceWinedudeVIPDined on 11/9/2014Really good food and terrific service. The oysters are incredible. Everything we sampled was tasty. Prices are a bit high, but not ridiculous. Nice wine choices too. Our server was top notch. Our son has a specific allergy and she marked up a menu to let him know which dishes would be safe for him. Have never seen this level of service before. Great fish place!Special Features:
- Didn't live up to expectationsBillDined on 11/8/2014Overall, we had wanted to try this place for quite awhile. Our expectations for the food and service were admittedly high. The food was decent, but did not live up to our expectations. The service was rushed and really fell flat. The raw oysters were very good, although I felt pricey at $36-40/dozen. Next, we ordered the tuna poke & oyster po' boy sliders which were decent. However, the Seafood Platter, which contained a variety of shellfish, was a major disappointment in terms of quality and value. For example, our expectation was that the shrimp would represent a "cocktail" size (colossal/equivalent), but ended up being just medium-sized. The lobster and crab leg portions on the platter were decent tasting, but very small in size.Special Features:
- Horrible experience!!!:(ABdiningoutVIPDined on 11/8/2014OMG!!This was absolute WORST place I've been!:(Waitress had a total attitude that didn't seem to stop!Ran out of3popular menu items&it was early hours?!Ran out of 2 other items!Waitress was MORE than rude/major major attitude!I'll NEVER come back!Mgr was nice, but waitress was horrible!:(Busboys were terrific!Waited 10 minutes in beginning for valet service.No one showed up!5 people in front&seemed like 2 people had a clue what was going on!Total dissapointment!Mgr came out to apologize&had a to-go order & it wasn't in bag!**waitress was horrible!She asked in beginning if dietary restrictions.Mentioned spicy&she suggested poboy oysters?They were horrificly spicy:(Spent abt $130&were more than unhappy. Both of us will NOT be back!HORRIBLE!:(
- Not one bad dishOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2014This place is amazing. They have a great cocktail and wine list as well as some of the most delicious fish dishes I've ever had. The warm lobster roll and po'boy are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative Meditarranean seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014i came with a very picky group with quite specific food wishes--and all were met! Excellent fresh ingredients and knowledge of how to meld them into a whole new experience characterizes the menu here. very comfortable seating, great drinks list, and attentive service. Will definitely return on my next trip to ChicagoSpecial Features:
- Average for the PricemyoungDined on 11/5/2014GT Fish was solid. I liked everything I ate (tuna poke, mussels, lobster mac n cheese, fish tacos, oyster po boy sliders, and octopus), but nothing really wowed me. For the prices and small portion sizes, I expected and wanted to be wowed by the food though rather than having just a good experience. If you're ok paying a lot for solid, small plates. This is the place for you. I'd go back again...so long as I don't have to pay.Special Features:
- Love this placeCarymomDined on 11/4/2014Only negative is tables are very close together. Food is outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great SeafoodKathVIPDined on 11/4/2014This is the best tasting seafood in Chicago! The portions are perfect and the flavors are fantastic. Will be back soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but not what it once was5Minutes4FightingDined on 11/2/2014I used to love this place, but it has gone down hill. There was a time when i would say that GT had the best oysters I've ever had anywhere. Those days are gone. They're still okay, but the quality has dropped significantly. The rest of the food overall has also dropped a little bit. For my most recent trip, the service was not good. Also, we ordered stone crab claws, and that was very disappointing for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh..not impressedReatoun7Dined on 11/2/2014Not quite what we were expecting from the reviews we read. Food was okay, but value was awful. Fish and Chips included 3 tiny pieces of fish, lobster Mac n cheese only had a couple lumps of something resembling imitation crab meat, and the fish tacos were covered in some granular pork concoction that had lumps so hard I was concerned about breaking a tooth. Desserts were good, the key lime was tasty. Total bill was $87.30 for two, and we left hungry and disappointed. Kudos to the wait staff for being on the ball and attentive, just not the kind of food I'd want to eat again for the $$.
- maddieDined on 11/2/2014I went for brunch. I really loved the ambiance and for the most part- the food was tasty and really well presented, but there were a few things I thought could have been better quality: The monkey bread along with the bagel provided in the lox plate did not seem very fresh. The monkey bread tasted like a day old pretzel that was really well presented. I would still go back for oysters and cocktails (the seafood was good - hence the name), and perhaps give it another try for a full meal - again, the atmosphere was top notch.Special Features:
- A Real TreatVegasDined on 10/30/2014Great food and ambiance. Lobster roll and oysters were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBrannenDined on 10/30/2014Anybody looking for a great sea food place not far from the city this is it. Easy to get to, not far from public transportation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for food stay for serviceBobbDined on 10/28/2014Food was good. But the service was better! Start with the oysters and end with the Mac and cheese.Special Features:
- Seafood. SeriouslyellietownDined on 10/25/2014If there was an award for best seafood restaurant in the world that is not located on an ocean coast, GT would win hands down. Freshest, purest ocean goodies served unadorned, or with seriously delicate touches in ceviches, grills and stews. Awesome cocktails too. It's noisy, and busy, and amazingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!cantstopeatingDined on 10/22/2014First off, the waitress was awesome. Our group didn't know which oyster we wanted so she just asked us a few questions about what we liked and brought out the best oysters I've ever had! The food was awesome (the lobster roll is better at GT than it is in some places in Cape Cod...that says a lot). And the drinks? You can tell the bartenders are properly trained. They even had chartreuse (much to my demise), which delighted my date.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Very Nice Restaurant. We went for my wife's birthday. Servicewas excellent, from the minute we walked in and were treated warmly by the hostess to nice treatment at the bar and then fantastic service from our waiter who knew the menu thoroughly and was enthusiastic in making suggestions and answering questions. The food was excellent. Octopus sliders, scallops, and the broccoli salad (I am not usually a fan of brocolli) were our favorites. It was a really good dining experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- DelightfulyovanillaDined on 10/21/2014Outstanding service, food, and character. Highly recommend the tuna poke, corn tortelloni, fish tacos, and any raw oysters of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Oysters!FromOakParkDined on 10/21/2014We love this restaurant and we are never disappointed. The food is excellent, but we go primarily for the oysters. The food is obviously fresh. Wish they had more sides offered to go with the courses though. Portions are small. Everything is served with expertise. Wine list is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters, Octopus, Mussels, oh my!julesrockslaVIPDined on 10/18/2014I was in Chicago, visiting from L.A., and so enjoyed my meal at GT! I sat at the bar, which got rather lively, and the service was excellent. I took the server's recommendations for a selection of oysters, and they were all very good. He also helped me with my other choices and the meal was a hit. The octopus was some of the best I have every had--extremely tender and flavorful. The mussels were in a rich tomato sauce, nicely sized and served with some grilled bread, perfect for soaking up all the yummy sauce. Another highlight was their house made hot sauces--one called "Smolder", one called "Burn" and a third, sans label, that was lemon based, but VERY spicy, in a good way. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent. Everything was prepared well and these guys obviously know what they are doing. Oysters were fresh and the monkfish was delicious. I was let down by the portion size. For the prices they are charging, they should give you a bit more food. For instance, the corn tortelloni....great stuff, but the portion is a walloping 4 bites. Brutal. Oerall, great food, but I still needed to hit up I TBell on the way home.Special Features:
- ChipDined on 10/18/2014The food is really interesting for those who like to try new tastes. The atmosphere is chic/upscale casual. Our waiter was extremely helpful with suggestions and spot on with all of them. Great wine list. Intersting cocktail selections for the adventurous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great but service was badSmhussmDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I live in the city and have gone here a few times. My parents were in town so we thought it would be nice and make a reservation for them and treat them to dinner. Their reservation was for 6:00. My parents arrived to check in at 6:13 (they had trouble finding it) and were informed their table was given away! I had received no phone call from the restaurant to ask if they were coming and was never informed that this would happen if they didn't arrive right at 6:00. They were rude to my parents and told them there was nothing they could do except sit at the bar. My husband and I go out to eat all of the time and have never encountered this (even at places like Alinea). Very disappointed and won't be going back.Special Features:
- Great food!topnotchDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came for dinner on a Saturday night and had a great experience! The food was wonderful, best octopus we have had along with the white chocolate cheesecake! We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting ChicagoEllieDined on 10/16/2014Our waiter was amazing . He explained every dish with enthusiasm and accommodated our allergy and dietary restrictions with great care. Each dish was beautifully presented, unique and scrumptious. The service was exceptional and we felt comfortable eating, drinking and chatting leisurely as we enjoyed each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GT Fish and OysterIreneviolinDined on 10/12/2014Disappointed by the wine list--too limited! Prices for oysters steep. There are many restaurants in town that offer fresh oysters for less $$. Was expecting more choices on the menu seeing as the dishes are offered as small plates. The fish and chips were an excellent choice --I would order that again if I were to go back. Love the fact that the restaurant is open late. A great choice for after theatre or opera night! Service was excellent!Special Features:
- Great night out!af26Dined on 10/10/2014The place is beautiful and exciting. The food was very good. A bit expensive but ok. The ceviche was delicious as well as the scallop crudo. The dessert was amazing. Overall a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.