527 SW 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grunerpdx.com/
- Phone: 5032417163
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Chris Israel
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Erin Wulff at 805-886-4166
- Private Party Facilities: The Glacier Room is a private room available for your next business dinner or special event. Custom menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Wulff 805-886-4166
- Cross Street: Alder Street
- Public Transit: Streetcar at 11th and Alder, #15 bus at 11th and Alder, MAX stop at Galleria/SW 10th and Morrison.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are three parking garages all within a block of the restaurant, as well as street parking, which is metered until 7:00pm.
A word from Gruner
Grüner is an adventure through the Alps and along the Danube River which begins in the Black Forest and ends at the Black Sea. As it passes through Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Romania, an alternate Europe emerges, with a hearty, earthier culinary tradition favoring savory, dill, caraway seeds, crème fraîche, horseradish and paprika as opposed to the more familiar southern flavors of garlic, basil, olive oil, fennel seeds and tomato. This rich variety of cuisines is woven together by seasons and mountains and rivers—much like the Pacific Northwest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gruner reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (30)romantic (20)good for groups (19)hot spot (18)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014There is a lot of attention to detail at Gruner. The food ultimately is a little mundane for the price. Excellent spaetzel, great sausages, tasty ravioli and the crotquettes were excellent. The pork chop was, well a pork chop for too much money. Nothing interesting or remarkable about the pork chop. All in all good food but maybe a bit overpriced for the lack of originality or flare in the food itself.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseNanaDined on 9/6/2014We went for the burger that we saw advertised in the Oregonian only to find out it was only served at the bar or outside during the evenings and it was too hot for us to eat outside so we ate inside and ordered of the menu and had a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- So deliciousholycabbagelettuceprayVIPDined on 9/5/2014Global influence and some fiiiiiiiiine meat. Perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No burger in the dining area?Tydes2kDined on 9/5/2014How can a place that gets awarded best burger in Portland, not serve the burger on the menu? You have to sit in bar to get it? Very frustrating dinning experience and the waitress wasn't accommodating at all. GRUNER, please add the burger ASAP!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for four had a great timeBabbaDined on 9/5/2014Food was delicious. Service was good. On the pricy side for beers. Especially since they aren't anything super special. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- bonusmeeatDined on 9/2/2014A bonus that there is an Austrian/central Euro gem in Portland. Excellent.Special Features:
- JeanneMarieVIPDined on 9/2/2014We always stop over in Portland, great food town that it is, when driving the west coast specifically to eat dinner at this modern, German-inspired brasserie. My husband loves the egg appetizer and any of the pork dishes. I had a seasonal tomato soup with dill and an Oregon tuna with purslane. It's not easy to make grilled tuna memorable, but this was that perfect combination of high quality seafood in a simple, but well conceived, slightly different presentation. A glass of excellent Sylvaner Wine, the right breads, a tasty plum desert sort of like a clafoutis, well everything was simply delicious as it has been on our every visit.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go backJudiDined on 8/30/2014Went with 6 people and only 2 of us liked our food. Over rated in the Oregonian. High priced for what you get. Only checked outdoor dining because I had to put something to send this review. Was not impressed with anything and will not go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantCoffeefoodbikeDined on 8/29/2014Went to Gruner based on tour guide recommendation. Everything I had was delicious. I ordered the ricotta gnocchi as an appetizer and the German sausage and bratwurst as the main entree. Not a big beer fan, but the beer the waiter recommended was good also. Overall a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portlanders are so very lucky...fudluvingPDXrDined on 8/29/2014...and I say this because we have easy access to a plethora of great restaurants of all types. My wife and I wanted to try someplace "new to us" for our anniversary, and Grüner came to mind. This restaurant seems to stand out in many of the local reviews. For our first time dining here, our expectations were met. They were not pretentious, and neither were our fellow diners. The service staff was friendly and efficient. Grüner changes their menu seasonally since we ordered off their "summer menu". I like that in a restaurant, whether weekly, monthly or seasonally... changes make for differing taste experiences depending on when you stop in. Our over-all experience was good and we will dine at Grüner again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerValdaDined on 8/27/2014The 5 of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. The staff was gracious and the food delicious! Tables roomy and seating very comfortable. Simple, thoughtfully designed, pleasing space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jsalVIPDined on 8/25/2014Went here for dinner. I had the foie gras torchon (excellent) and the bratwurst and sausage entree (very good). Service was friendly and attentive. The place was nice and chic.Special Features:
- Don't sleep on the pretzel breadSSSSDined on 8/22/2014We really liked it; especially the pretzel bread. Definitely recommend the schwenkbraten. And the fruit salad with duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SaladluckiestdaveDined on 8/20/2014Went there hearing their Gruner salad was amazing and wasn't disappointed. The pretzel served with the meal was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.LetssleeponitDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food. The service was catering without being overwhelming. They even brought out candles to set an evening mood which was superb. The check came in a German book. It was a great experience! All for a really decent price. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTreywall1Dined on 8/8/2014Everything was fantastic--food, service, room. Adam, our server, was awesome and Greg the Somm was on point as usual. Great job all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of EuropeLucygalDined on 8/8/2014Had the spaetzle with Black Forest ham- fabulous! Reminded me of family heritage and not easy to find true German/ Alpine food in a city like Portland. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSamAdamsDined on 8/8/2014The best deviled eggs. Service that is friendly and knowledgeable. Food that is savory and clean and innovative. Great outdoor sidewalk seating.Special Features:
- WonderfuljmathiesenDined on 8/2/2014My wife went here for our anniversary and were treated to a great dinner. the staff was friendly and the service was top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, great foodYumyumgivemesomeDined on 8/2/2014Cocktails were interesting, food for one if us was amazing and great for the other (pork tenderloin was overcooked, sauerkraut was over salted), but the best part was the service. Our server was beyond knowledgable and yet didn't make us ever feel dumb for our many questions! Super nice guy, plus great teamwork overall with the entire staff. Best service we have had in a long time! Good job Team Gruner! P.s. the pretzel roll is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJohn73Dined on 7/30/2014From the appetizer to the salad to the main dishes, the food was excellent! Subtle, fresh flavors that were not only interesting, but just plain delicious. Even the cocktails were great. In a city of many, many great restaurants, Gruner is one of the best.Special Features:
- Great foodBruPubBruDined on 7/26/2014Good selection of beers and wine. A little noisy. Both our meals were exceptional. Service was quick and congenial. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:
- WhatDined on 7/25/2014First things first our waitress and all the other back up service staff were the best. This was our third visit for dinner and has never disappointed. Although the wine list is limited as far as wines we are familiar with the one that our waitress suggested was very good! I have not forgotten the food - we are self defined foodies and every thing we had was delicious! We live in Everett Wa and probably get to portland twice a year. That says a lot more for our return visits.Special Features:
- Great service, overall good foodSomethingPretentiousDined on 7/23/2014Service was superb, most food was spectacular. We really enjoyed the croquettes and the liptauer apps, the Alsatian pizza and charceuterie plate were all awesome. The quail was a super entrée, but the bratwurst were not exceptional. For a place claiming to be Alpine cuisine, their desserts were less than stellar. I love new cuisine, however, maybe just go back to your spin on some great classics like linzertorte, strudel, or Black Forest cake. The whole region is known for great sweets, however, the blueberry and the other dessert we had were awful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014The salmon beet salad was to delicious I return within two weeks with friends. We all ate small plates but the waiter didn't rush us out and we had a nice long visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!StephanieDined on 7/22/2014Our book club met at Gruner and all of us greatly enjoyed the food (the salmon, pork chop, and spaetzle were big hits in the group) and loved the variety of wines available. The service was very good and the only con that happened was that there were a couple items no longer available on the menu and it was only 7pm. Our waiter did mention that was unusual and that they were having a busy night and happened to not prep enough for those items.Special Features:
- Delicious, but not memorableMariahDined on 7/18/2014I thought the food was all very good and there were lots of menu items that I wanted to try. However, I was hoping that the whole experience would be a bit more unique. The menu was German/Central European inspired, but there weren't any dishes that I had never seen before. The ambience was nice and tasteful, but also not unique. It was also very expensive, which I guess is typical of a restaurant in that location, but there are so many great reasonably priced restaurants in portland that I hate to pay too much for a meal!Special Features:
- Great food, great service...WayfaringFoodieDined on 7/8/2014The food was fantastic (amazing appetizers), and the server was even better. She felt like the entrees were taking too long so brought out an additional appetizer. We had not noticed nor did we think that it was taking very long but we really appreciated it. The only complaint we had was that the wine list was overpriced. One of the things that makes Gruner Veltliners amazing is their high quality at a low price point. Gruner's cheapest Gruner was $50. Next time we will bring wine with us. There will definitely be a next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseMaryamVIPDined on 7/5/2014Managed to get a late night reservation. Food was very good. The trout was light and tasty. Salmon was cooked perfectly. Service wonderful. Great last minute find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REeview of GrunersukamakanDined on 6/26/20144 people, two couples, dined Thursday evening at 8:00pm, 6/26. Great food. Very attentive service; unfortunately they brought the wrong entree to one of our party, so his (corrected) meal came out later than the rest of ours. The server handled it with class. The issue is the ambience: the place is so noisy that you have to yell across the table just to have a conversation. The interior design is beautiful, but the architect forgot to consider acoustics/ noise level. If they added accent tapestries on the walls, or some skillfully designed acoustic panels on the ceiling, or both, that might help. The noise level in the restaurant killed the experience for us.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The experience was great! The only complaint was that the restaurant was very loud and so my dad had trouble hearing me, which made conversation difficult. Food was amazing and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tastyCtwiDined on 6/21/2014The Kale Salad: omg yum! I've tried several dishes and they've all been delicious. The kale salad and pickled deviled eggs are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visit for meat lovers.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The restaurant specializes in essentially German cuisine with lots of housemade charcuterie, sausages etc. I had the choucroute garnie — house-made bratwurst & saucisson, braised pork belly, house-cured pork tenderloin, sauerkraut, sweet-hot mustard, yukon gold potatoes. Fantastic! My wife had the spaetzel which was tasty but could have used more meat. I would recommend it for a nice evening out with the wife or with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedDickVIPDined on 6/7/2014Rarely do I dine at a place that was recommended by a foodie friend and not enjoy. This was one of these times. Perhaps I was not in the right frame of mind but nothing seemed exceptional. Odd menu. Portland is a place of exceptional restaurants. This just didn't float by boat.
- Best damn deviled eggs!EatonBemarryDined on 6/6/2014Everything was really good...nice strong cocktails, well mixed. Great Alsatian pizza, really good kale salad and marvelous pink deviled eggs! Our waiter was a great help with good suggestions for both drinks and entrees.Special Features:
- QualityhoojenDined on 6/3/2014Food was great, service was excellent, dining room is modern but small. I was there on a Tuesday night, and yet I couldn't hear myself talk. I had to text my date across the table at one point. Check the menu before you go, dinner entrees start at $18.Special Features:
- Amazing Northwest Inspired GermanGregMDined on 5/30/2014Gruner provides a great up-scale take on traditional German food concepts re-imagined with hints of deconstruction, cross dish borrowing and flavors of the northwest injected in. The result is nothing short of glamorous and palate pleasing. The service in this establishment is modern hipster, eloquently and unusually versed in solid customer service principles.Special Features:
- Nice, nothingLucy59luiDined on 5/24/2014Nice corner location, not the most comfortable seating, tables wedged very tightly together. Very noisy. Service is good, food average. Nice. Pricey for what it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 566 reviews are from the Gruner reviews archive.
- Fabulous dining experiencewowjavieDined on 5/16/2014From the moment we walked in the door, we were well taken care of by our sever and the other waitstaff we encountered. The apps and entrees were delicious and they had wonderful cocktails and wine to go with out meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatRAZZMOVIPDined on 5/16/2014We have been here a number of times now and just love the place. The food is great and the service is crisp and polished. Having lived in Munich, I can tell you this place will stand up to anything there. A terrific experience all the way around.Special Features: