101 W. 22nd Street
Historic Freight House
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AustrianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://grunauerkc.com/
- Phone: 8162833234
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; DINNER: Monday- Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday:4:00pm - 11:00pm; BRUNCH: Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm (brunch menu served ALL DAY) WUNDER BAR: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-1:00am Sunday: 11:30am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Peter Grunauer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Come in this Sunday September 18th! We are having an authenic pig roast and Miles Bonny will be playing on the patio! Also 2nd ANNUAL OKTOBERFEST SEPTEMBER 30TH-OCTOBER 2ND!!! Call to inquire for more details!!
A word from Grünauer
Grünauer is a classic Viennese style restaurant with Central European influences of German, Hugarian, and international specialties. Peter Grünauer, executive chef, his son Nicholas, and daughter Elisabeth opened Grünauer in May of 2010. Peter is from Austria and his brother and sister still run their family restaurant in the Neubau region of Vienna. The menu offers simple straight-forward, and affordable cuisine high-lighting some of the best cuisine Central Europe has to offer. The menu here is meant to satisfy every customer that walks in the door. The Wunder Bar offers an array of wines, beer, and spirits unlike any other restaurant in Kansas City. The authentic Biergarten outside is one of kind as well. There is no other place in the city to match the atmosphere of Grünauer. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service and knowledge of our product. We want to offer you a fine dining experience with a family feel so, make a reservation today!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grünauer reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (98)good for groups (60)neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (54)great for lunch (46)romantic (43)vibrant bar scene (24)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (15)hot spot (13)scenic view (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- SplendidRedphroggDined on 9/13/2014The food is great! Our waiter Eric made our experience a delight!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Every TimeKaren26671Dined on 9/12/2014I love Grinauer. Consistently fantastic. The meals are superb, even if you think you wouldn't like Austrian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Met a good friend for dinner on Monday night. The restaurant was fairly quiet, but what a treat. Had the roasted beet salad and fresh halibut wrapped in puffed pastry. Both were outstanding. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- AuthenticChuck21Dined on 9/7/2014The food was great. I spent three years stationed in Germany and it reminded me of there. It is a little pricey though in Germany I did not spend $60 for two people. Great place to go on a special date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was very good. The staff was very helpful and was there to get us anything we needed. The drinks were delicious. I took my wife here for our first anniversary and we had an amazing time. We sat inside and watched the trains roll by almost the whole time we were there and couldn't hear or feel any of them it was very quiet and relaxing inside. It was a bit on the expensive side but very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grunauer is Cool!loveshisowncookingDined on 9/5/2014While it never exactly caught on with Kansas City "luminaries," I find Grunauer to be top notch. The space really does take me back to places we've visited in Europe. The food is exceptional. It is odd to me that in the bread basket of the country, where most have family trees rooted in Germany, more foodies don't converge there. I have visited this restaurant twice, and I will go back soon.Special Features:
- Not your usual lunch sceneAllieDined on 9/3/2014Our group was looking for something a bit different than our "normal" lunch places so we decided to try Grunauer. The food is typical Austrian/Hungarian/German fare - sausages, gulasches, schnitzels, and the like. The full dinner menu is served at lunch but there are also lunch specials that feature smaller versions. Overall the food was fantastic and we would definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodRAmosDined on 9/2/2014Grünauer is an awsome place for great food. Austrian and oriental. Rich atmosphere and fine dining. Prices under $40 entrees. Indoor/outdoor seating. Full Bar.Special Features:
- frequentDined on 8/30/2014food was excellent. Server was helpful and accommodating but not very prompt. Waited 20 minutes for our check. Finally had to flag down a bus boy and ask for it as we hadn't seen our server. Over 1.5 hours for a lunch is a little too long for a restaurant that was not very busy. In fairness, a table for 13 was set up( with 6 children) and given to her as well as the other tables she had about half way thru our meal. Too much for one server - but she was not very attentive to that table either. Not had this problem on previous visits so this is probably an outlier and would not stop us from going back.Special Features:
- German Cuisine at it's finestromanceawaitsDined on 8/29/2014We were looking for something to eat close to our hotel. Found this amazing gem on Open Table. WOW! everything about this place was top notch. Our waiter recommended the Goulash and we were so glad he did. It was heavy in the least (unless you just dive in), the meat was so tender you could cut it with a spoon and the sauce was mmm mmmm good. Wonderful place. So glad we stop in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014we have a very good dinner and waiter was very friendly.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable EveningJimKVIPDined on 8/29/2014Grunauer is a super restaurant. The food is always top rate. Truly a a one of a kind in the city. Every time we dine at Grunauer we feel like we are back in Vienna.Special Features:
- 1TimerDined on 8/25/2014Wife and I had dinner on August 25, 2014 and the service and food was excellent. That was our first visit however it won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Someplace DifferentRoyalsFanDined on 8/23/2014Grunauer has a nice atmosphere. The food is good - I had a pasta dish that was very tasty. Could have used some salt but I didn't ask for any. Salt and pepper shakers are no where to be found in that restaurant. The beer selection is vast, and the beer I had was really smooth and went down well! Had a pretzel with the beer pre-meal. It was good; served with a spicy mustard. I would recommend Grunauer - I need to go back and try other dishes! Regarding service - the table server was attentive and very helpful. The guy tending bar wasn't terribly friendly, which was disappointing. He acted like it was a royal pain to serve my date and me so that wasn't impressive.Special Features:
- DanimalDined on 8/23/2014The food, the atmosphere and the service were all above average. This was our first meal on this trip and it was a great way to start off the weekend. We will definitely go back the next time we're in Kansas City.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014We love Grunauer. It is always on our list for good, hearty food and we enjoy dining outdoors and watching the trains roll past.Special Features:
- Food Taste and speedWashingtonianDined on 8/22/2014The meal I had was dry and the waiters were to fast for us to enjoy the course we were eating. Great Hungarian goulash.Special Features:
- So Many Great ChoicesSmilingSunshineDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed a very reasonable, good bottle of wine at the waiters suggestion that complemented our meal nicely. The meal was very good and it was tough to choose which menu item to pick. We look forward to going back to try some other items.Special Features:
- NancDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant has a lot of character. It's a unique dining experience. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightSloppyfoodDined on 8/15/2014This is the second time my boyfriend and I have eaten here and both time the overall experience has been amazing. We've tried different items in the menu each time and so far nothing has disappointment. Mussels were out of this world! I tried the cactus water cocktail this time which wasn't my favorite (I prefer the German beer selections) but everything was an experience. I love how they have traditional dishes and also modern with a traditional feeling. Would definitely recommend to friends and couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.EdEatsVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a great meal on a Friday evening. The schnitzel with spetzel, and red cabbage was outstanding.
- Big GermanPFieldVIPDined on 8/15/2014Although it's the heartier side of German cuisine, Grunauer dishes are flavorful and fresh. Love their sauerkraut and the Weihenstephaner on tap.Special Features:
- Inflexible with reservation changeluvdininVIPDined on 8/11/2014I booked my reservation for a party of 8. Some of my party had difficulty with the 7pm time originally set. I called the restaurant to alter to 6 or 6:30 and was told that they could not accommodate since they had several large parties booked. We were in the restaurant from 7 to 9 pm and there were empty tables throughout. We had a nice dinner but I was very disappointed with their refusal to accommodate a time change request.
- Really good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Overall a very good experience, knowledgeable staff, great beer list, portion size was more than enough. Just a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- This is a great find!DandKDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I are always looking for new fun places to eat. The menu was so inviting we wanted everything. Service was excellent, knowledgeable and witty. The ambiance was great out on the patio, can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We loved visiting while on vacation through Kansas City. Everything was cooked to perfection, and we loved dining outside in the beer garden!Special Features:
- Excellent food!CrazyChefDined on 7/29/2014We always love coming here! The food is very authentic and we always love what ever we get. This last visit I ordered the schnitzel special and my husband had the chicken Cordon Bleu. We had a side of the cucumber potato salad and spatzel. For dessert we had the flourless chocolate cake. It was a beautiful evening so we sat on the patio. It was absolutely wonderful. The service was also excellent. We can't wait to go back! My husband had a wonderful beer and I had a Mojito. The bartender makes a great Mojito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to try this!EricTobiDined on 7/29/2014Gruanuer is an absolute gem! While visiting Kansas City, we were stunned to find an authentic Austrian restaurant. Being of Austrian decent and travelling to Austria frequently, we were somewhat skeptical but absolutely blow away by the authentic menu choices and the superb execution. We both chose Tapfelsptiz and strongly encourage anyone to try it once. It is a Viennese specialty that is not to be missed. The Grunauer family owns a sister restaurant in Vienna that won a major culinary award - again, quality through and through. The setting in a historic railroad freight warehouse with soaring ceilings just added to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melodyDined on 7/28/2014Two of my friends had not been to the restaurant. They enjoyed the food and cocktails. Our wait staff was very good at recommendations of wine and entrees. The restaurant was not extremely busy so we were not rushed and felt comfortable taking our time visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Food?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014For German cuisine, we found this VERY LACKING. The meal was okay, but will never go back there again. Wanted Cordon Bleu with veal and was told the food was already prepared with the pork and it would cost us $4 extra per plate for veal then was told they can't do the veal. REAL Cordon Bleu is made with veal only. My apple struedel was 99% apple and only 1% struedel. Again, that was our last trip EVER to Grunauer.
- JeffjeffDined on 7/27/2014We had a wonderful time for lunch. The home made sauerkraut was unbelievable! The dessert menu was limited with few choices but very good. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the music made me want to return and have cocktails later that night!Special Features:
- grand central stationmagneVIPDined on 7/26/2014We did try it the first week it was open, we were not impressed, and it as not busy this time we could not hold a conversation, it was very noisy, and in order to understand each other people, were yelling and yelling more!!!!
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The food is extraordinary the service is perfect we will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!tigerfanDined on 7/24/2014Our group of 3 tried different entrees and taste tested each. We enjoyed all the entrees along with the salads. The food was positively delicious and the serving size was quite generous. Our server, Matthew, knew the menu and was able to explain the menu items in a way that we wanted to try everything! Matthew and his helper provided EXCELLENT service. We completely enjoyed every aspect of this dining experience and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent German and Austrian FoodmchillsVIPDined on 7/21/2014This was my second trip here (I live in California) and it was very good. I enjoy German food and it is in short supply in the Bay Area. I had the Sauerbraten, which had been marinated for two weeks. Great flavor, very tangy. My waiter was very helpful and the service was prompt and friendly. I'll be back the next time I am in KC.
- Great ExperinacetimmyDined on 7/20/2014The food was very fresh and well presented. Best of all it tasted fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Great experience. Food and service were both great. Authentic flavors and menu items bSpecial Features:
- A solid choiceRoyMDined on 7/18/2014Grunauer is always pretty solid for Austrian food. Decent ambiance, decent service. Nothing will wow you but no reason to avoid it eitherSpecial Features:
- Can't wait to go back!DaveMDined on 7/18/2014Grunauer is a unique and classy culinary experience. The menu has so many attractive offerings, it makes it hard to choose, but in the several times we've been there, we've never ordered something we weren't pleased with. The quality of the food and the presentation are top notch. Last Friday, we ordered the Sauerbraten and the Traditional Schnitzel, and both the meat and the sides were very tasty. In fact, the flavor of the red cabbage was a show stealer. To be fair, our server was slightly inattentive, but not to the point of taking much away from the whole experience. The decor in the Freight House really adds to the memorable experience as well.Special Features:
- Food was divine!ASWJDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant was lovely. Perfectly prepared food! All of our entrees were so flavorful - we couldn't help but share everything. The strudel with Farner's cheese was to die for. Our only complaint was that our waiter was a tad inattentive. That did not spoil the experience and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.