101 W. 22nd Street
Historic Freight House
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AustrianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://grunauerkc.com/
- Phone: 8162833234
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; DINNER: Monday- Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday:4:00pm - 11:00pm; BRUNCH: Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm (brunch menu served ALL DAY) WUNDER BAR: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-1:00am Sunday: 11:30am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Peter Grunauer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Come in this Sunday September 18th! We are having an authenic pig roast and Miles Bonny will be playing on the patio! Also 2nd ANNUAL OKTOBERFEST SEPTEMBER 30TH-OCTOBER 2ND!!! Call to inquire for more details!!
A word from Grünauer
Grünauer is a classic Viennese style restaurant with Central European influences of German, Hugarian, and international specialties. Peter Grünauer, executive chef, his son Nicholas, and daughter Elisabeth opened Grünauer in May of 2010. Peter is from Austria and his brother and sister still run their family restaurant in the Neubau region of Vienna. The menu offers simple straight-forward, and affordable cuisine high-lighting some of the best cuisine Central Europe has to offer. The menu here is meant to satisfy every customer that walks in the door. The Wunder Bar offers an array of wines, beer, and spirits unlike any other restaurant in Kansas City. The authentic Biergarten outside is one of kind as well. There is no other place in the city to match the atmosphere of Grünauer. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service and knowledge of our product. We want to offer you a fine dining experience with a family feel so, make a reservation today!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grünauer reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)fit for foodies (98)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (64)great for outdoor dining (55)romantic (51)great for lunch (46)vibrant bar scene (24)notable wine list (22)hot spot (21)late-night find (14)great for brunch (12)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Enjoyable eveningTuckercatDined on 10/20/2014We enjoyed a very nice dinner recently. The food was very good, especially the cheese assortment appetizer. Service was attentive and the atmosphere is "old world."Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Always a great place. One of favorites in all of Kansas City.Special Features:
- Great service and foodBunnie81Dined on 10/17/2014The food here was delicious, wonderfully presented and served in a timely manner. Our waiter was very polite and accomodating to our needs. Definitely worth the money and time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in BavariacariocajimDined on 10/17/2014Grünauer advertises itself as Austrian, but anyone who has spent any time in southern Germany will recognize the menu and feel like you are back there. The three of us had different variations on schnitzel, and they were all outstanding. They have an excellent variety of German beers, although they were out of my first choice. If you are considering dessert, you may want to consider sharing, as the portions were quite generous. I lived in Bavaria for three years, and go to Grünauer when I need a schnitzel or wurst fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FriendlySkiesDined on 10/14/2014I've visited Germany many times and love the food I've eaten over there, but have not been able to find anything close to it in KC until now. All of the items were delicious. I had the classic wiener schnitzel and my friends had the marinated flat steak. Had the apple strudel for dessert and wished we'd ordered another one! Will definitely return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchnitzelManDined on 10/13/2014NOTE: Having lived in Germany for 6 years I had high expectations for a new German/Austrian/Belgium restaurant. Overall the restaurant was fine (lunch food, drink, ambiance), but nothing persuasive. My wife enjoyed her jaberschnitzel. My Classic Wiener was prepared well, but the spaetzle (ilo potato cucumber salad) was dry and flat (leftover?) and the entire dish WAS NOT piping hot as I'm accustomed to when served in Europe. Again, my expectations were high and Grunauer is NOT the worse German food attempt that I've had in the U.S. Although somewhat lacking, I'd be willing to try their dinner menu sometime in the future when the opportunity presents itself since restaurants tend to focus on their dinner (vs lunch) menu/crowd.Special Features:
- Good time but not worth the expenseashleyvDined on 10/12/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated his 21st birthday here. We had a nice waiter. I did have to wait for a refill for a while, but he was very kind and recommended a few of the meatless dishes on the menu. We ordered the pretzels with mustard, which was fine. I ordered the kasespatzle and I was a little disappointed. The fried onions on top of the dish tasted extremely salty. For dessert we had the apple strudel. That was probably the saving grace of the meal. Since this restaurant is so expensive that I can only afford to dine there on a special occasion, I expected more. I'll definitely give Grunauer another try, but next time I'll order a different vegetarian entree and hope that I leave feeling that I got my moneys worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!DPLPDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! Reminded my wife and I of dinning in Germany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different lunchConcertVIPDined on 10/10/2014enjoyed our lunch at Grunauer. We don't usually eat German but we really enjoyed it today. The farmer's strudel for desert was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great experienceFlagfoodieDined on 10/9/2014From out of town, great find, great food and great beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We went here for our anniversary after not finding good seafood options anywhere. I loved it and I am glad the seafood option didn't work out. Large portion sizes. Chocolate cake was wonderful. Great atmosphere. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- DandTDined on 10/3/2014We had specifically picked Grunauer for dinner during our recent trip after finding it on an internet search. We were NOT disappointed!!! Excellent food, beer, and service! Chef Nick even stopped at our table and when finding out we were visiting from out of town, treated us to dessert. FANTASTIC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!foodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Cozy place, excellent fine dining and sumptuous Austrian fare especially the veal dish. Service attentive from friendly staff! Will be back.
- Grunauer on a Friday nightfavfoodsDined on 10/3/2014Fabulous! Great food, great service, great atmosphere. I would return in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and funMattFoodieDined on 9/27/2014We have visited Grunauer on several occasion and have found the authentic Austrian and German cuisine to be well-prepared and consistently delicious. Our servers were efficient and knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list and beer selections. Pricing for dinner entrees is very reasonable, especially in light of the generous portions served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous EVERYTHING!smcredDined on 9/27/2014We got to Grünauer's for our 5:30 reservation and were seated immediately. All of the staff were friendly and efficient. I had the traditional schnitzel with potato cucumber salad, and it was delicious. This would be a great place for a celebration or to take out-of-town guests to.Special Features:
- Great Austrian cuisine!acesDined on 9/27/2014The schnitzels are always wonderful, I love the way after-dinner coffee is served here, the wammerl appetizer was delicious, always a great evening. The events coordinator is also great to work with for planning informal get-togethers (this comes from previous experience for boyfriend's birthday earlier this year).Special Features:
- Fantastic!!GSF1Dined on 9/27/2014Grunauer's is my absolute favorite place--it never disappoints! My husband and I are there every year for our anniversary and we frequently celebrate family birthdays and entertain out-of-town relatives there. The food and service is fantastic, the outdoor seating is relaxing and Oktoberfest is loads of fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This was our first time at Grunauer's, but it won't be our last. The food was fantastic! Service was fair (our waiter did not ask about more to drink, only came back to the table three times), but the quality/taste of the food made up for it.
- Great lunch!MIchaelDined on 9/24/2014We visited for the first time and had an amazing excellent lunch. Both dishes were well prepared with tons of flavor. This is definitely a place we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentRoxieDined on 9/22/2014Couldn't get a table on the weekend so we went on Monday.great food, no crowd, excellent service! Love this place!Special Features:
- Waiting for FoodIQ2014Dined on 9/21/2014We arrived at 5:30 for a 6:00 p.m. reservation. We sat down at 5:50 p.m. Our drinks took 10 minutes to arrive. Then she took our appetizer order. Appetizers took 20 minutes. She waited an additional 10 minutes before taking our food order. The food orders took 30 minutes to come. We needed more wine twice. The waitress was not attentive. There were at least six waiters for ten parties. Finally, we order dessert. It takes 20 more minutes for dessert. Normally we are in and out within 1 hour and 45 minutes. We were there until nine. It took forever to get the bill. I ordered the Hungarian Goulash. It was the first time I had had Hungarian goulash without regular noodles and no sour cream was stirred into the sauce.Special Features:
- Authentic Germanic CuisineRochelleDined on 9/20/2014My first visit to Grunauer was four years ago during a business trip into Kansas City. I was excited to happen upon a restaurant that specialized in Germanic cuisine. I had bratwurst, sauerkraut, and spaetzle and enjoyed my lunch so much that I returned for dinner the next night with my daughters. We loved our meals at dinner and since that time, Grunauer has been one of our favorite restaurants in Kansas City. We've celebrated many special events there and I've introduced the restaurant to many friends. The quality of the food and service has remained excellent over the years. I've eaten at many Germanic restaurants from the East to the West Coasts of the United States and Grunauer is my favorite, I have yet to dislike anything on the menuSpecial Features:
- Great!YumyumdumdumDined on 9/19/2014Everyone in our party loved their food. The beer and wine lists were extensive, and the bar staff recommendations were on point. Service was exceptional. Grunauer will exceed your expectations!Special Features:
- Wonderful food; worth the splurgeedubsDined on 9/19/2014We were in Kansas City for a German conference and we knew from a previous visit how great this place is. We took our German friends here, and they agreed it's fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid not spectacular 1st visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I had the Gulasch that was intended to be a vegetarian dish. I expected more of the spatzle type pasta, and fewer mushrooms. Although perhaps real vegetarians would like how it came out. It was a bold paprika, as the server told me ahead of time, and it was a good flavor. My wife's schnitzel was solid. My daughter had a sort of chunk of beef in an au jus -- good but not spectacular. I want to come back and try other dishes. The atmosphere in the reburbished freight house was nice.
- SplendidRedphroggDined on 9/13/2014The food is great! Our waiter Eric made our experience a delight!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Every TimeKaren26671Dined on 9/12/2014I love Grinauer. Consistently fantastic. The meals are superb, even if you think you wouldn't like Austrian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Met a good friend for dinner on Monday night. The restaurant was fairly quiet, but what a treat. Had the roasted beet salad and fresh halibut wrapped in puffed pastry. Both were outstanding. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- AuthenticChuck21Dined on 9/7/2014The food was great. I spent three years stationed in Germany and it reminded me of there. It is a little pricey though in Germany I did not spend $60 for two people. Great place to go on a special date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was very good. The staff was very helpful and was there to get us anything we needed. The drinks were delicious. I took my wife here for our first anniversary and we had an amazing time. We sat inside and watched the trains roll by almost the whole time we were there and couldn't hear or feel any of them it was very quiet and relaxing inside. It was a bit on the expensive side but very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grunauer is Cool!loveshisowncookingDined on 9/5/2014While it never exactly caught on with Kansas City "luminaries," I find Grunauer to be top notch. The space really does take me back to places we've visited in Europe. The food is exceptional. It is odd to me that in the bread basket of the country, where most have family trees rooted in Germany, more foodies don't converge there. I have visited this restaurant twice, and I will go back soon.Special Features:
- Not your usual lunch sceneAllieDined on 9/3/2014Our group was looking for something a bit different than our "normal" lunch places so we decided to try Grunauer. The food is typical Austrian/Hungarian/German fare - sausages, gulasches, schnitzels, and the like. The full dinner menu is served at lunch but there are also lunch specials that feature smaller versions. Overall the food was fantastic and we would definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodRAmosDined on 9/2/2014Grünauer is an awsome place for great food. Austrian and oriental. Rich atmosphere and fine dining. Prices under $40 entrees. Indoor/outdoor seating. Full Bar.Special Features:
- frequentDined on 8/30/2014food was excellent. Server was helpful and accommodating but not very prompt. Waited 20 minutes for our check. Finally had to flag down a bus boy and ask for it as we hadn't seen our server. Over 1.5 hours for a lunch is a little too long for a restaurant that was not very busy. In fairness, a table for 13 was set up( with 6 children) and given to her as well as the other tables she had about half way thru our meal. Too much for one server - but she was not very attentive to that table either. Not had this problem on previous visits so this is probably an outlier and would not stop us from going back.Special Features:
- German Cuisine at it's finestromanceawaitsDined on 8/29/2014We were looking for something to eat close to our hotel. Found this amazing gem on Open Table. WOW! everything about this place was top notch. Our waiter recommended the Goulash and we were so glad he did. It was heavy in the least (unless you just dive in), the meat was so tender you could cut it with a spoon and the sauce was mmm mmmm good. Wonderful place. So glad we stop in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014we have a very good dinner and waiter was very friendly.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable EveningJimKVIPDined on 8/29/2014Grunauer is a super restaurant. The food is always top rate. Truly a a one of a kind in the city. Every time we dine at Grunauer we feel like we are back in Vienna.Special Features:
- 1TimerDined on 8/25/2014Wife and I had dinner on August 25, 2014 and the service and food was excellent. That was our first visit however it won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Someplace DifferentRoyalsFanDined on 8/23/2014Grunauer has a nice atmosphere. The food is good - I had a pasta dish that was very tasty. Could have used some salt but I didn't ask for any. Salt and pepper shakers are no where to be found in that restaurant. The beer selection is vast, and the beer I had was really smooth and went down well! Had a pretzel with the beer pre-meal. It was good; served with a spicy mustard. I would recommend Grunauer - I need to go back and try other dishes! Regarding service - the table server was attentive and very helpful. The guy tending bar wasn't terribly friendly, which was disappointing. He acted like it was a royal pain to serve my date and me so that wasn't impressive.Special Features: