101 W. 22nd Street
Historic Freight House
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AustrianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://grunauerkc.com/
- Phone: (816) 283-3234
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; DINNER: Monday- Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday:4:00pm - 11:00pm; BRUNCH: Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm (brunch menu served ALL DAY) WUNDER BAR: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-1:00am Sunday: 11:30am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Peter Grunauer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Come in this Sunday September 18th! We are having an authenic pig roast and Miles Bonny will be playing on the patio! Also 2nd ANNUAL OKTOBERFEST SEPTEMBER 30TH-OCTOBER 2ND!!! Call to inquire for more details!!
A word from Grünauer
Grünauer is a classic Viennese style restaurant with Central European influences of German, Hugarian, and international specialties. Peter Grünauer, executive chef, his son Nicholas, and daughter Elisabeth opened Grünauer in May of 2010. Peter is from Austria and his brother and sister still run their family restaurant in the Neubau region of Vienna. The menu offers simple straight-forward, and affordable cuisine high-lighting some of the best cuisine Central Europe has to offer. The menu here is meant to satisfy every customer that walks in the door. The Wunder Bar offers an array of wines, beer, and spirits unlike any other restaurant in Kansas City. The authentic Biergarten outside is one of kind as well. There is no other place in the city to match the atmosphere of Grünauer. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service and knowledge of our product. We want to offer you a fine dining experience with a family feel so, make a reservation today!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grünauer reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (101)good for groups (73)neighborhood gem (64)great for outdoor dining (50)romantic (46)great for lunch (45)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (21)late-night find (18)great for brunch (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- How have we missed this divine place?BlondieDined on 11/21/2014This restaurant is fabulous! Not sure how we've missed it over the last 5 years, but it will be on our top list going forward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 11/19/2014Great Austrian and German food. The menu is very extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennethVIPDined on 11/18/2014Excellent service. The kale salad tasted great. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beers!ChrisGDined on 11/15/2014Great beer and great bar scene. Love the sausages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasted like mom'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014Having grown up on German home cooked meals, I was very excited to try Grunauer, and I was not disappointed. Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Round TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Sup for the Knights of the Round table, even if we at a square table. Anthony was a great liaison to the masters of the kitchen. Looking forward to next round. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip was deliciousKCduoVIPDined on 11/15/2014Both dishes were excellent. I had the A la Grünauer, breaded pork cutlet stuffed with creamed spinach. My wife had the fresh seasonal fish that was lightly rolled in strudel dough. Our dessert was a huge portion of apple strudel and whipped cream. Our server answered all questions and took very good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotKC20somethingDined on 11/14/2014Great food, wine, and service. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxed and the architecture really added to the ambiance. Prices were reasonable for this type of restaurant - appetizer, two meals, bottle of wine = $100ish. Overall I loved this place and will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Specific German dininginjoy13Dined on 11/10/2014You really have to like the German influence because it is totally that. I didn't see any way to avoid it, not that I wanted to. It was very good and the service was adequate. I like the ambiance in the whole Freight District.Special Features:
- YummylbsrswssDined on 11/10/2014This is the season (well, any season works, actually) for some comfort food. The menu offers many choices that won't leave you feeling like a nap, while still giving you the sense of a nice family-type of meal.Special Features:
- Dinner and the AirportBruceTexasVIPDined on 11/9/2014It was a great choice being open early for dinner We ordered Hungarian Goulash, perfectly spiced and the best Jaugar Shentzel I have ever tasted. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodgoodGermanfoodDined on 11/8/2014Great German food, very impressed by the menu and the food we got! Overall great experience, but pricey. We had a group of 4 and could hear each other just fine, it is an energetic room. The beers were a little more expensive than we had planned, but good choices.Special Features:
- Great Beer SelectionArt4beerDined on 11/7/2014Great food and beer selection in the casual, but upscale and historic setting of the old freight house. Lots of beers that appeal to those who are not IPA fans, but enough variety for all. Ample free parking.Special Features:
- Birthday findsteffyDined on 11/2/2014My sons chose Grunauer for his 15th birthday dinner as he loves to try new menus. They remembered it was his birthday from the reservation and did everything possible to make this a special occasion. The food was wonderful, atmosphere was very inviting and we couldn't have been more delighted with the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European flairsnarfDined on 10/31/2014This restaurant was a great find. The entire evening was outstanding food was incredible and their beer selection is the best I have seen for a Austrian/German type restaurant in the US. I lived in Germany for almost 3 years and this restaurant is as good as any I ever ate at there. Anyone in KC who hasn't ate here needs to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Place!ToriDined on 10/25/2014Hubby and I are Germanfoodaholics (and Austrian). That said, we will not settle. The food at GRUNAUERS is fantastic. Generous servings, great selection. Ample parking. It is my favorite restaurant. The only flaw is that they serve imported Julius Meinl coffee, but they do not carry the decaf! Grrr!Special Features:
- Great second visitKSRIDined on 10/24/2014This was our second time to dine at this restaurant, and the food and beer were overall great. Unfortunately, the schnitzel breading was too salty, but everything else was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & beerjoaejowaighaihgipergDined on 10/24/2014Went on the recommendation of a friend, and we were not disappointed. We were not familiar with Austrian/German food, but we think we may have found a new favorite. Schnitzel, spaetzle and Ayinger beer made for a delicious dinner. Added bonus of sitting on the patio, looking at the city lights in late October made the night really enjoyable.Special Features:
- German and Viennese hits the spot!SchnitzelKaiserDined on 10/23/2014Had a really nice dinner here with an out of town group from work. Most of us had various and different schnitzels. I had the Jager Schnitzel which was really good - I'm going back the next time I am there! Portions are generous, service was very attentive and not overbearing - perfect. Atmosphere - well, I though that I was back in Munich! Beer list - extensive and they have locals including Boulevard Brewing as well as some German imports. I highly recommend this place especially if you like German food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningTuckercatDined on 10/20/2014We enjoyed a very nice dinner recently. The food was very good, especially the cheese assortment appetizer. Service was attentive and the atmosphere is "old world."Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Always a great place. One of favorites in all of Kansas City.Special Features:
- Great service and foodBunnie81Dined on 10/17/2014The food here was delicious, wonderfully presented and served in a timely manner. Our waiter was very polite and accomodating to our needs. Definitely worth the money and time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in BavariacariocajimDined on 10/17/2014Grünauer advertises itself as Austrian, but anyone who has spent any time in southern Germany will recognize the menu and feel like you are back there. The three of us had different variations on schnitzel, and they were all outstanding. They have an excellent variety of German beers, although they were out of my first choice. If you are considering dessert, you may want to consider sharing, as the portions were quite generous. I lived in Bavaria for three years, and go to Grünauer when I need a schnitzel or wurst fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantAcer42Dined on 10/17/2014I have not experienced many good Austrian/German restaurants, but Grunauer's is an exception. I have never been disappointed in the food nor service.Special Features:
- Excellent!FriendlySkiesDined on 10/14/2014I've visited Germany many times and love the food I've eaten over there, but have not been able to find anything close to it in KC until now. All of the items were delicious. I had the classic wiener schnitzel and my friends had the marinated flat steak. Had the apple strudel for dessert and wished we'd ordered another one! Will definitely return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchnitzelManDined on 10/13/2014NOTE: Having lived in Germany for 6 years I had high expectations for a new German/Austrian/Belgium restaurant. Overall the restaurant was fine (lunch food, drink, ambiance), but nothing persuasive. My wife enjoyed her jaberschnitzel. My Classic Wiener was prepared well, but the spaetzle (ilo potato cucumber salad) was dry and flat (leftover?) and the entire dish WAS NOT piping hot as I'm accustomed to when served in Europe. Again, my expectations were high and Grunauer is NOT the worse German food attempt that I've had in the U.S. Although somewhat lacking, I'd be willing to try their dinner menu sometime in the future when the opportunity presents itself since restaurants tend to focus on their dinner (vs lunch) menu/crowd.Special Features:
- Good time but not worth the expenseashleyvDined on 10/12/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated his 21st birthday here. We had a nice waiter. I did have to wait for a refill for a while, but he was very kind and recommended a few of the meatless dishes on the menu. We ordered the pretzels with mustard, which was fine. I ordered the kasespatzle and I was a little disappointed. The fried onions on top of the dish tasted extremely salty. For dessert we had the apple strudel. That was probably the saving grace of the meal. Since this restaurant is so expensive that I can only afford to dine there on a special occasion, I expected more. I'll definitely give Grunauer another try, but next time I'll order a different vegetarian entree and hope that I leave feeling that I got my moneys worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!DPLPDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! Reminded my wife and I of dinning in Germany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different lunchConcertVIPDined on 10/10/2014enjoyed our lunch at Grunauer. We don't usually eat German but we really enjoyed it today. The farmer's strudel for desert was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great experienceFlagfoodieDined on 10/9/2014From out of town, great find, great food and great beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We went here for our anniversary after not finding good seafood options anywhere. I loved it and I am glad the seafood option didn't work out. Large portion sizes. Chocolate cake was wonderful. Great atmosphere. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- DandTDined on 10/3/2014We had specifically picked Grunauer for dinner during our recent trip after finding it on an internet search. We were NOT disappointed!!! Excellent food, beer, and service! Chef Nick even stopped at our table and when finding out we were visiting from out of town, treated us to dessert. FANTASTIC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!foodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Cozy place, excellent fine dining and sumptuous Austrian fare especially the veal dish. Service attentive from friendly staff! Will be back.
- Grunauer on a Friday nightfavfoodsDined on 10/3/2014Fabulous! Great food, great service, great atmosphere. I would return in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and funMattFoodieDined on 9/27/2014We have visited Grunauer on several occasion and have found the authentic Austrian and German cuisine to be well-prepared and consistently delicious. Our servers were efficient and knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list and beer selections. Pricing for dinner entrees is very reasonable, especially in light of the generous portions served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous EVERYTHING!smcredDined on 9/27/2014We got to Grünauer's for our 5:30 reservation and were seated immediately. All of the staff were friendly and efficient. I had the traditional schnitzel with potato cucumber salad, and it was delicious. This would be a great place for a celebration or to take out-of-town guests to.Special Features:
- Great Austrian cuisine!acesDined on 9/27/2014The schnitzels are always wonderful, I love the way after-dinner coffee is served here, the wammerl appetizer was delicious, always a great evening. The events coordinator is also great to work with for planning informal get-togethers (this comes from previous experience for boyfriend's birthday earlier this year).Special Features:
- Fantastic!!GSF1Dined on 9/27/2014Grunauer's is my absolute favorite place--it never disappoints! My husband and I are there every year for our anniversary and we frequently celebrate family birthdays and entertain out-of-town relatives there. The food and service is fantastic, the outdoor seating is relaxing and Oktoberfest is loads of fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This was our first time at Grunauer's, but it won't be our last. The food was fantastic! Service was fair (our waiter did not ask about more to drink, only came back to the table three times), but the quality/taste of the food made up for it.
- Great lunch!MIchaelDined on 9/24/2014We visited for the first time and had an amazing excellent lunch. Both dishes were well prepared with tons of flavor. This is definitely a place we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.