758 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grubsf.com/
- Phone: 4154314782
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 6:00-10:00, Friday-Saturday 6:00-11:00
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Zarur
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Grub is a 40 seat restaurant available for large parties and buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Grub Reservations Team 4154314782
A word from Grub
Grub is a casual neighborhood spot in the middle of San Francisco’s Mission district, the hot new restaurant area in the city, which is continuing to set new levels of culinary and hospitality recognition. GRUB is here for you for dinner, late night and weekend brunch. With constants on the menu like a custom burger bar, Mac ‘N Cheese bar or our seasonal small and large plates, and everything from around $6 to $16 and an international wine list from $26 to $50 a bottle, how can you miss? You are family and always welcome at one of San Francisco's newest concepts and great eateries....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grub reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)great for brunch (19)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)Show More
- Favorite Valencia St restaurant.FemmeVerdeDined on 8/25/2014The food, service, and ambiance is consistently yummy, fun, and well-priced!Special Features:
- Great brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My girlriends from out of town and I had a great time at brunch. I orignially made the reservation for a large party (9) and called 30 minutes before to change the reservation to 4 people and push it back by 30 minutes. They were incredibly accomodating and nice about it, and I really appriciated it. We had an awesome waiter named Conor- he was funny and friendly and made our experience awesome.Special Features:
- Great but needs more optionsJemcaDined on 8/15/2014We were a diverse group from France, Japan and San Francisco. The food was great, Pomme Frits and Dinosaur Kale chips rock as do the Mussels which were like butter! 2 of us ordered salmon, rare, cooked to perfection but tiny portion atop homemade creamed corn (delicious) and vegetables. I think appetizers are definitely in order when getting dinner here as the portions are small. The price was fine, but I'd have rather paid another couple of dollars for a regular size fillet rather than half sized. Everyone else ordered burgers and left most of the roll and sides behind, they said they were good, but I tasted the turkey burger and it was not at all moist. They need more variety on their menu. Service is fine. Ambiance okay.Special Features:
- One of my top favorite restaurants!FemmeVerdeDined on 8/15/2014Breakfast, brunch, burger, or dinner entree, Grub has been great. Clean place, food cooked just right, fun and fast servers, good prices, great location!Special Features:
- Loved it!DeadheadVIPDined on 8/3/2014Great food. Caters to gluten-free diets - even the macaroni and cheese!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible everythingKevinDined on 8/3/2014Server did not care. Food was bland and did not fit the menu discription in texture or taste.
- Great service made the experiencepupsullDined on 7/12/2014We love mac and cheese so wanted to visit this restaurant; it was more casual than we'd expected but that was fine. The service we received was really fantastic; the personable and friendly server was a joy to experience and the food came quickly and nice and hot and cheesy. We had the grass-fed burgers also and they were great. A very enjoyable experience and again, great wait staff !Special Features:
- Not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/12/2014Slow service and impossible to find our waiter. With three people dining, and after a long wait, two of our starter salads arrived at the same time as two of our entrees. The third salad came later with the third entree. It was all over the place in terms of when things were ready and served, and they never brought my drink. The food was almost good. For example the garlic croutons on the ceasar salad were really tasty but the salad itself was a soup of dressing.Special Features:
- Grub still rocksValSueDined on 7/11/2014Grub was an early entry to the Valencia scene and its cuisine and ambiance holds up very well. I would highly recommend this cozy eatery to folks coming in to the Valencia corridor looking for a tasty and reasonable meal as well as those of us lucky enough to have it as a neighborhood hangout. Y'all come!Special Features:
- Burgers are the bestNicoVDined on 7/3/2014I love the burgers especially because I am gluten free and they do them without a bun. You can have them plain or load them up with cheese, bacon, avocado and mushrooms! Siracha aioli is the best topping! be ware Med rare is really rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pink Saturday DinnerOpenTableFanatic88VIPDined on 6/28/2014I ate here with a friend before going to see a film at the Frameline Festival on Pink Saturday. We arrived just in time before reservations hit and a waitlist was created. We started with the sweet potato fries served with an aioli sauce on the side, which was delicious. Our waitress was kind and on top of everything which is always a plus! For the entree, I had pasta with zucchini which was delicious especially since I don't enjoy zucchini but what made it worth while was that that was diced into tiny pieces so it was manageable. I definitely would go back again and recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Good but not great burgers and fries. The noise level is high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the rosemary lamb burgerJoyskiVIPDined on 6/15/2014A relaxed place, Grub doesn't exactly thrill, but the food and service my table of three enjoyed was worth the visit on Father's Day. Two of us devoured a succulent, medium rare lamb burger with choice of tasty toppings (i recommend the aiolis) and the Third had a classis burger, also excellent. Arugula salad was pretty good, although a little tough, as much of the arugula in California tends to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly good in all waysFemmeVerdeDined on 6/15/2014This is my all time favorite restaurant in the spate that opened on Valencia St. I've yet to be disappointed at Grub. Whether it's the pancake duo for Saturday brunch, or halibut or a lamburger for dinner, the food is clean and prepared to my liking. The servers are friendly without being pushy or sticky, and their Creme Brulee is delicious! My ONE complaint is they are only open for brunch on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service, Mediocre FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014The title says it all. I was highly unimpressed by my dining experience at Grub. Our waitress (the one with the tattoos) was passive aggressive and downright rude. The food left much to be desired. Will not be back.
- Great place to eatNogaYogev16Dined on 6/5/2014The service was great, good food that is I believe mostly or all organic, the food was flavored very well and it's a great place to meet with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunch!JennDined on 5/25/2014Had reservations for 10:15 and had friends running late due to parking, we ended up staying for over 2 hours and they never rushed us out even though they had people wanting tables and were super friendly. The owner/manager was great! Food was really well put together and was yummy! Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT???CliffdiverDined on 5/24/2014Found this to be a zibranr,YOUNG, kind of sketchy neighborhood. We overlooked this expecting to enjoy some good food because the reviews were good. The fries were good. Four out of six of our party ordered the Mac and cheese which was their specialty. We were very disappointed....it was mediocre at best. The best I can say is the people were friendly and service was great. We come to San Francisco for fabulous food...didn't even come close to getting that here.Special Features:
- Good Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2014The food was very tasty. It was difficult with the limited menu to put together a good variety of foods. Every dish we had - mac and cheese, appetizer, and main dish had pork. We loved it.. we love our meat.Special Features:
- Neighborhood PlaceeaharryDined on 5/18/2014Grub is fine for drop in. There is nothing special, special about it, but it is one of the many on Valencia and was not crowded on the Sunday night we went. We had a coupon that allowed one appetizer, one mac and cheese and two entries. Way enough food and wight he coupon the price is right. The mussels were very good, the mac and cheese really outstanding (if you like that gooey, cheesy cholesterol) and the main dishes good but not great.Special Features:
- Great environment, good foodkmodVIPDined on 5/9/2014A group of seven plus one 10 month old baby all went to an early seating at Grub. Awesome menu: Mac n cheese bar, we got three for the table to share-lobster and truffle oil, chorizio n' jalapeño, blue cheese and bacon. All fantastic (although blue cheese is strong so be aware). Halibut was good, burgers were awesome and the pork was great. Unfortunately our baby had a mild melt down but in this environment it went hardly noticed. It's a loud place even without a baby melt down. Definitely a spot to go back too. A hidden gem by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yum!dvnoneVIPDined on 5/5/2014Lobster Mac 'n cheese with truffle oil...I thought I died and went to heaven! We also had the burger bar. The lamb burger was juicy and the bun held up really well. I love comfort food and this place fits the bill!Special Features:
- Great spot!DsigningwnVIPDined on 5/4/2014First time eating there and had a great brunch. The yogurt with fruit and granola was the best yogurt I've had outside of. Greece. It was amazing. The egg frittata was delicious and came with great potatoes and the orange juice seemed fresh squeezed. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- The following 398 reviews are from the Grub reviews archive.
- Loved it!DinaDined on 4/13/2014I went to grub for my birthday brunch and it was a great experience! My party got there a bit early and couldn't be seated but the host was nice enough to start us on our bottomless mimosas as we waited out in in the beautiful sun. Once we were seated, we ordered our food which all my guests were completely happy with! It was delicious! I had the Cuban Sandwich, bomb! The waitress was very sweet. I don't remember her name but she had the SF skyline tattooed on her wrist :). This was my 2nd time coming for brunch and I loved it both times. I can't wait to come back . :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badKbwebberVIPDined on 3/31/2014Was fine but we have had so many great dinners in SF this just didn't stack up to the competition.Special Features:
- Great brunchBroseVIPDined on 3/30/2014Our group enjoyed the fried chicken and peanut butter waffle stack(!), eggs benedict, french toast and eggs cooked to order. Portions are generous, food is well prepared and servers are friendly and efficient. Great place without the long lines at other Valencia corridor brunch spots. And you can make a reservation if you don't want to risk waiting.Special Features:
- solid brunch, good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2014solid brunch, good service, take RSVP which is the best for SF brunch places!Special Features:
- table of 6 could hear each other!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014so rare to find a restaurant these days where 6 ppl can have a conversation the whole table can hear and join in. Grub is a good place for this. And the mac and cheese menu is decadent and delish. their other dishes are good and they have some that counter the richness of the cheese. wines seemed over-priced for the types offeredSpecial Features:
- Good place for the price!CleanedPlatesDined on 3/22/2014I had dinner with some friends here on Saturday night. There were 5 of us. When we arrived, the only table they had ready was right in front of the door but that wasn't too bad. The food was good and nothing was bad. The mac and cheese was pretty amazing and the fries were delicious. The risotto was mediocre. The wines they offer are good ones but the drinks are pre-mixed, so no real bar. They couldn't even make a virgin drink, so I don't recommend this place for cocktails. The service was ok. It took more than 15 minutes to get our drinks and appetizers. Overall the food and service were good, especially for the price. I would go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golf Course bar/cafe...very simpleDinerSFVIPDined on 3/14/2014There was nothing wrong with this place, it just that you should know what to expect and that it shouldn't be a San Francisco restaurant. It's a step up from bar food but I can't go so far as to call it a restaurant. It's on the edge of the golf course, in the Presidio, which gives it a nice surrounding area. The food was fine and the service too. There are golfers that finished their round, people waiting for them, and others having beer/cocktails and being a bit rowdy-as you would expect in a lounge bar. For a quick, inexpensive food grab where atmosphere isn't of concern, pop in and be satisfied with a burger and beer!
- Outstanding Mac & Cheese! MmmmArkayVIPDined on 2/21/2014I love mac & cheese, so my expectations are high. Grub's M&C exceeded them. Salads (a Caesar and another) were fine, but not special. Mac & cheese 5 stars, salads 3, steak 4. Not too loud, and 7 of us could actually all converse (I disagree with Open Table's use of the word 'energetic' to describe the loudest restaurants; I find them deadening for conversation, and not the least bit energizing). I give a fair rating for service, as it was oddly unresponsive, despite the place being not close to full, and also, for not highlighting that an 18% tip had already been included. Finally, in a world of grade inflation, a 4-star in my book is truly very good, and definitely a place worth going to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, a little weirdMarkVIPDined on 2/15/2014all the food is amazing here and everyone is really nice but the service was so slow - strangely so - probably just our server though and the whole place got smoky - really weird - they have these giant fans that werent working?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A totally unexpected surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/15/2014Went to this place just to get a burger and was blown away by the quality of the food. Had an absolutely outstanding lamb burger and the best sweet potato fries I've sampled in this city. Service was fast efficient and friendly. The only drawback that I could find, and it is a minor one, was the absence of any beer on draft, but they had a very good selection of bottled beers and wine by the glass.Special Features:
- Not doing anything to stand outdoodlefartDined on 2/8/2014Grub is decent. There's nothing wrong with it. But it feels a bit like they're trying too hard to be something they're not. Starting with the name, one gets the impression they've cobbled together a bunch of hipster/foodie cues into one restaurant. The menu, the interior design...even the check that shows up in a mason jar (cliche?). But none of it feels authentic or inspired. The food is good but nothing special considering we're in SF (we had shrimp appetizer, mac and cheese, broccolini, ribs). Again, nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't go again or recommend it to anyone over other places in SF.
- No Grub at GrubCommonwealthVIPDined on 2/8/2014Took 50 minutes to get our appetizers & another 1 hr for our entree. Grub wasn't full. Observed many plates dropped by the servers that night. Our server blamed the kitchen for the delay in our food being served. However we observed several dishes being prepared and served from the kitchen. Could have been a combination of our server not placing the order w/the kitchen and being slow as well. When our entrees finally did arrive to our table at 9:45p (7:30p reservation), the server tried to sling and slop a plate overflowing with fluids across me. Stopped her from covering me w/broccolini juice as I could see the trail of liquids behind her as she approached our table. Guests at the table next to me were covered in liquids also.
- Good "Grub" has potentialSpoonsfDined on 2/8/2014My overall assessment of Grub is it has the potential to be a great neighborhood restaurant, but it's not there yet. Our starters -Ceasar Salad and a Heirloom Chickory salad were quite good, especially after I remixed the Chickory salad as all the other ingredients settled to the bottom. My entree (halibut) didn't quite live up to it's potential. The beans were al dente rather than creamy in texture. There was a big pool of olive oil at the bottom from the costelvetrano vinaigrette. My partner had the rosemary chicken which was moist and delicious. For dessert we split the bread pudding which was excellent. Service was friendly and efficient. Will come back again.Special Features:
- For the most part,Great Brunch MenuNBSHDined on 2/2/2014We really enjoyed the variety of brunch choices. Service was very friendly and timely. Grub is very popular and we're SO glad we made a reservation. The noise level was 'lively' but not offensive. Considering that the folks at Grub are mindful of great flavors and energy, it's amazing that they failed to provide the simple choice of soy milk for those who wish to enjoy their coffee lactose free. According to the wait staff, the lack of soy was a choice the management made because it was too expensive to order from the supplier. Ever heard of Costco?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse brunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/1/2014Excellent staff, especially our server Nicole. Abundant diverse menu with wide range of brunch options from burgers to pancake choices. The cobb salad is the most underwhelming and dull Cobb I've ever had. no bread and butter with it. Very flat and dull compared to cobbs elsewhere. Great service and location. Probably wouldn't come back unless in a pinch.
- Great Neighborhood SpotNicoVDined on 1/31/2014I have eaten at Grub several times and I have never been disappointed. Little touches like the spicy popcorn that greats you when you sit to the level of service, which is always excellent. Very good burgers and entrees, the steak is GREAT. If you have Gluten allergies as I do having servers that understand their menu and what's added to sauces etc is so important. I happy to report that for Celiacs and Gluten intolerant you can eat almost everything. They need a dessert that is gluten free but the rest of the menu is a great offering for us GF folks. The decor is really nice love the blue colors and openness. I say GO THERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second attempt worse than firstLumensteinVIPDined on 1/25/2014If poor service is what you crave, you've found your home. We had tried this place before and had great food but terrible service. We thought maybe we had caught them on an off night, we were very wrong on this. We sat down and it took 15 minutes for anyone to approach us. The good news is in this time out neighbors on both sides of us told us they hadn't been helped either. If sitting with empty glasses and empty plates is your thing, again this place is for you. Upon finally finding someone to get us our check, I found the manager/owner to explain our bad service. His response, we had an inexperienced server on and it was her fault. Bad news here, she was the SAME server we had six months ago! Do NOT come here if you want service.Special Features: