Growlers of Gaithersburg
227 E Diamond Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20877Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Growlers of Gaithersburg
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.growlersofgaithersburg.com/
- Phone: 3015199400
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Growlers of Gaithersburg
J.A. Belt building is considered the oldest commercial property in Gaithersburg. The building has recently undergone a complete historic restoration and is listed on the National Historic Registry. The marriage of the old and new in this historic building creates a unique environment well suited for the reproduction of our turn of the century tavern. Hand-crafted beers and an excellent American menu keeps them coming back!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Growlers of Gaithersburg reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Growlers is a wonderful brewpub. Brewing equipment is visible behind the bar, the atmosphere and decor suit the old building and is very comfortable and pleasant. This brewpub aficionado found the place to be very cool. The food was great, the service was great, and of course so were the beers. They make a good variety of beers; my favorite was the porter, but all were excellent. Most of the beers had unique characteristics - these are not just "another brewers version" of the common styles. Go there - enjoy their creatively delicious beer flavors paired with great food - you'll be glad you did.Special Features:
- Good BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything can as ordered, one burger medium rare, the other medium we'll pink. Have great brewsSpecial Features:
- Service and food is so poor.famdayDined on 9/17/2014The food and presentation is totally different from the last time. We"re so disappointed. My asparagus & potato are burned. Poor service
- Happy they're back!FeebsVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went for lunch before going to the county fair. The food was great as usual. The beer was even better. They did a nice job with the remodeling and were able to keep the character of the old Growlers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer, bad serviceElladanDined on 8/10/2014We've been going here for years and were devastated when the flood took out the place for eight months. You would have thought inks would be really different after taking 8 months to get it up and running, but it's mostly the same, except the staff all left due to the long time closed and so the new staff doesn't know what they are doing. The food is notably the same, good, but nothing new. We will probably keep going for the beer, but it would nice if they had some healthier options and hopefully the staff will improve over time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great beers!KateKDined on 8/9/2014Food was solid, but they were out of a lot! Beers were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb burger!windowsDined on 8/5/2014Good beer selection, lots of IPAs to try. Great lamb burger, the salads were also solid. A bit noisey, even in the dinning area. I will go again.Special Features:
- The following 41 reviews are from the Growlers of Gaithersburg reviews archive.
- Good Food!mt3847Dined on 1/4/2014Like this place and finally got around to making reservations. It was good and a great deal, but I wish we had a better table since I thought ahead and got a reservation. It was kinda chilly right by the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grrreat!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013Met a few friends for New Year's Eve Dinner. Awesome beer selection. We ordered from all parts of the menu and the food was excellent. The salads were fresh and generous. I liked the spicy bite in the Shrimp and Grits. The steak frites were delicious and cooked precisely as ordered. A simple menu substitution was handled without fuss or a hitch. The lamb burger was juicy and delicious and the homemade chips a hit all around the table. The service was great, attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely be back and include Growlers in our restaurant rotation more frequently.Special Features:
- One of our usual restaurantsFeebsVIPDined on 12/30/2013We always enjoy going to Growlers. Great beers and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Night OutRiccoDined on 12/28/2013Originally went to see my son (the drummer) and his band. This nite spot was very accommodating. Everyone was friendly and courteous. I ordered salmon which was very good but the sides (potatoes and cauliflower) were undercooked. The salad was excellent and I ordered another salad because I could not eat the undercooked sides. A good night was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer is the BestCDRGerryDined on 12/24/2013Home brew and guest beers are the star. Food is very good. Listen to your staff and they can match your dinner with your beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont reserve after 10pmDisappointed2Dined on 12/14/2013Make sure to check with the restaurant directly on when the last seating is.
- Go for the beer, not the foodFeasorsDined on 11/22/2013The food is at best average. But the beer selection on tap is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beersFeebsVIPDined on 11/21/2013My husband and I have been going to Growlers since it opened. Great food and beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeFeebsVIPDined on 10/10/2013My husband and I have enjoyed going to Growlers for several years. The food is great and we love the different beers. The servers have always been friendly and very competent.Special Features:
- Good place for beer and funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2013My family and I went to dinner here on 9/28/13 and had a great time. The beer selection is great, everyone found items to order that they loved, and the service was incredible. In fact, after alerting the server to my allergies, he noticed that a dish I had ordered probably contained one of the items I was allergic to and stopped me from eating it! Talk about a guy who does his job well :) Great spot, would go back!Special Features:
- Nothing too specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2013I chose Growlers because it was reviewed as quiet and kind of upscale bar food. This is not so. The food isn't bad but they're nothing particularly special about it. My fiance likes their fries, but other than that the philly cheesesteak and the chili mac are nothing special. The restaurant was incredibly loud, which surprised me based on the other reviews and the servers seemed very overwhelmed with the number of people even though the restaurant wasn't full. The food came very quickly and was very hot, so that was a plus, but I would prefer the food and variety at places like American Tap Room or something like that.Special Features:
- Bad Service - AGAINJimOVIPDined on 8/8/2013Service was slow and unattentive by the waitress and when it came time to order dessert, the main reason for selecting Growlers, the waitress never gave us an opportunity to order. She dropped off the check and said she can take when we are ready. Lost my appetite and left for good. Second bad experience there but went back for the dessert. Too many other choices, they obviously don't value customers.
- First, I'd like to say I tryDawneDined on 7/5/2013First, I'd like to say I try to support local businesses when it comes to food but my experience here really made me appreciate formula. The AC wasn't working, when we walked past the thermostat it was set at 82! It is never a great experience when your arms and feet stick to the table and floors. My view from the second floor was the ceiling dripping consistently onto the beer drums, so I refused to drink anything but water which tasted like it was fresh from the tap. The food was ok, nothing that I can't get from a deli. To be honest, the fries are the same I get from my building deli. You can put a Big Mac on a fancy plate, but it’s still a Big Mac. All in all I would not go back again.
- Tasty BurgersandrewDined on 7/2/2013Nothing better than a Growler angus burger and one of their craft beers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are regularsFoodieBearDined on 6/28/2013The food is good, the beer is great, the waiters are attentive and friendly. We had burgers on this trip, chorizo burger and a lamb burger. If you want something different and tasty, I highly recommend these. I have seldom been disappointed with any aspect of my meal in the years I have gone here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Each Time!ChadVIPDined on 5/3/2013Perhaps our best trip ever to this restaurant. With each visit the food gets better, the service gets better, and the ambience becomes more energetic and fun. We had a variety of items from the menu and each was exceptional, tasty, hot, and delicious. It goes without saying that the beer selection is with out here in the area. The homemade beers are fantastic and I strongly recommend starting the meal with the flight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good GastroPubTeeBusterVIPDined on 4/29/2013We had a very enjoyable diner at Growler's. We were staying at a hotel in Gaithersburg and there weren't a lot of choices, but found this one through open table. It is what i says it is, a genuine gastropub. Jessica provided good service and the food came quickly and accurately. The Steak Frites was above average and my buddy's burger was a winner as well. Beer was unique and good.Special Features:
- Laid-back anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013My wife and I dropped our daughter off for basketball practice in Germantown and we were looking for a place to eat nearby. I brought up OpenTable and did a search for 'near my location'. Growlers was 5 miles away and looked interesting, so we gave it a try. The service was great, as was the food. The portions were generous and pricing was reasonable. I'd eat here again without question.Special Features:
- The tasty beer is reason enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/25/2013The tasty beer is reason enough to come here; the list is long, mostly made in-house, and rotates often. The food is an added bonus, with large portions of creative pub-fare served at reasonable prices. Our meal was delicious -- but the guilt factor here is significant if you're watching what you're eating. Still, it is worth the splurge, especially on a snow day. As an added bonus, Growler's also offers live music at night on their expansive 3rd floor bar -- we've made it a point to schedule a visit during one of the live events.Special Features:
- Good gastro pub menu, fantasticFoodieBearDined on 3/21/2013Good gastro pub menu, fantastic homebrewed beer, and the friendliest wait staff in Montgomery County. Gaithersburg doesn't have many places like this, which is why I have become a regular. Casual with interesting food in a gorgeous historic building. Love it.Special Features:
- Beer is good, menu is versatile.FoodieBearDined on 2/14/2013We have become regulars here while our son is at ski club. Good micro beer, nice "Gastro pub" menu. My son loves the home brewed root beer when it is available. Prime rib special on Friday and Saturday is great, tried shrimp and grits with andouille for first time, and it was phenomenal. My husband loves the sausages and burgers. Oyster appetizer is is tasty, with spinach and bacon, what's not to love? The wait staff is always nice, seems to be a good team. My only complaint was that many of the signature cocktails on the list are not available, but it is a brew pub, so I am sure they aren't a priority.Special Features:
- This place has always beenBryanVIPDined on 4/4/2012This place has always been a local favorite with great brews and excellent foods. Recently they changed the menu so it will take a little time to adjust. While I am sad that there is no more chili mac I am still confident this will continue to be a solid place.Special Features:
- Service was slow to get started,daginvaDined on 2/26/2012Service was slow to get started, then OK. Good beer.
- Menu changing. They are gettinggeoffVIPDined on 2/18/2012Menu changing. They are getting rid of the higher end foods and making this more of a pub with burgers and wings. Food was not as good in the past. I ordered the two greeks and it had tomatoes but no avocado, or onion, or peppers. The waiter checked and said that it was becuase it is being discontinued to they didn't have the other items that normally go in the meal. We will not be back. If you want a very noisy place with lots of large loud groups drinking beer and eating wings, then go.
- the Valentines Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012the Valentines Day dinner with beer pairings was outstanding, my wife who is not a big beer drinker , drank all but the last one, I found them to be very good, overall we both had a great experience.Special Features:
- We have been going to GrowlersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2012We have been going to Growlers for our office Birthday lunches, and it is a great hit. We have been put in a private room (I have never asked for it)and it is perfect. The service has always been wonderful, the food great, and the overall experience has never been less then 100%. Thank you.Special Features:
- Food was just OK. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2012Food was just OK. Service was great and atmosphere pleasant. Great server.Special Features:
- Good food but service is verygeoffVIPDined on 1/14/2012Good food but service is very spotty. Waitress disappears for long periods - this has happened several times. Watresses are nice, but appear lazy since service is slow even if it is not busy. Once they deliver food, poor chances of getting something like extra mayo anytime soon. Two Greeks lamb burgers very good. Also the avacado chop salad.Special Features:
- Nice find in old Gaithersburg!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Food is excellent and a nice surprise for a casual place.Special Features:
- First time to Growlers. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/29/2011First time to Growlers. Very pleasant experience. Service was timely and cordial. Would comment to any Beer Lover plenty of tasty Brews to choose from.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/27/2011The service was horrible. We sat at a table with 3 children for 10 minutes (in an almost empty restaurant) while 3 servers bussed tables around us. When our server finally took our order, she had the kids orders brought out quickly (which was good), but she forgot my husbands and my dinners. So, we had to wait another 10 minutes after our kids were served for us to get our dinners. Thank goodness our children are well behaved, because a dinner that should have taken 30 minutes TOPS, took 75 minutes. The food was good, once it got to the table, but it wasn't worth all the waiting. Would have been acceptable if the restaurant had been really busy, but we were the only full table in our section of the restaurant. WILL NOT go back.
- Go for their brews not their food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/26/2011Growlers is ok but nothing special. They have decent bar food, and a limited menu. There are some interesting beers, and some beer "cocktails." The mixed Kolsch and Chambord was nice if you like raspberry, but would have been better with a more assertive beer.
- Service was slow. Menu seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011Service was slow. Menu seemed limited. Beer was a bit warm.